Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:07   #1111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Any idea when is the Diesel launch? When will the car be available for a TD. Poloman @ Can you please try to get this info when you are at the dealership? I can ask them. But they may give me a different answer since I have booked a Diesel.

Laxminarayan @ Congratulations! Will wait for your Thread. What was your waiting period? Give full details on the additional display you have for Highline. Also details on Accessories.
Did anyone happen to see the VW Polo Diesel Ad on the last page of TOI today. I somehow liked the campaign text. Here are the excerpts (AFAI remember):

VW Polo Diesel Mileage Test:
1. Clean and dry out a 1.0 liter bottle.
2. Fill it with diesel and empty it into Polo's fuel tank.
3. Cross you fingers and drive 22 kms through jungle.

By the way, I checked with VW Noida dealer and he told me that diesel TD vehicles would arrive aroun 15~20 May.

Last edited by sheetumanu : 3rd May 2010 at 11:07. Reason: Spelling Errors
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:42   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Ya even I was surprised by the boldness of VW. It takes real guts to come out with an ad like this.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:49   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Ya even I was surprised by the boldness of VW. It takes real guts to come out with an ad like this.
Very true Poloman; What if a gutsy someone goes out and puts Polo Diesel to the said test?

Keeping my fingers crossed (as VW said)
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:56   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Very true Poloman; What if a gutsy someone goes out and puts Polo Diesel to the said test?

Keeping my fingers crossed (as VW said)
I think VW did the same 100 times before giving this in writing..
@ CBG,Poloman - Any idea about the Fog Lamp cost? I'll be getting my car Tomorrow...yippeeeeee
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:35   #1115
BHPian

hi Guys..
If we have the Fog Lamps fitted by the VW Workshops guys,would the fit and finish be similar to the one's in the highline,or would it be a compromise..

Also i asked the SP ,he told me the knob on the interiors wouldnt be similar to the one in the highline,is it true?Any idea ?(Remember on the highline its a pull/push knob for fog lamps..)

Thanks,
Sachin.
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:55   #1116
BHPian

Please see the VW Polo Diesel Ad. The Fine print says it is as per the Rule 115 of CMVR which means Central Motor Vehicle Rules of 1989. I am surprised how VW so boldly said it would give 22km that too in a jungle. ARAI test track would be vastly different from the jungle.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-vw-polo-diesel.png  

Old 3rd May 2010, 19:40   #1117
BHPian

@gkoneti - agreed. If this was the US, perhaps someone would have tried it and actually sued VW if the car stopped at 21.9 km :-D
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:06   #1118
Senior - BHPian

The advt. shows VW's desperation to sell its junk 1.2ltr 3-pot diesel engine, junk compared to the current diesels we have.

I remember how Jeremy Clarkson made fun of Hyundai Accent 1.5ltr 3-pot diesel on his show TopGear. I wish one day he drives their own VW Polo 1.2ltr 3-pot diesel.

For those who missed that TopGear episode, here is the link.

Last edited by HammerHead : 3rd May 2010 at 20:08.
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:40   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
No information on the part list. Side view mirror can be spray painted. I think generally it would cost 1.5k. But with VW it could be more. But the paint quality will be far better. Fog lamps should be possible. Get it done from VW dealer itself. Bottom line is - do not cut any wires.
I confirmed with VW. painting the mirror and handles will cost 4.5k. it costed me about 3k in my accent viva crdi 4 years back. anyways i do expect the paint and the paintjob to be better on the polo.
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:03   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
The advt. shows VW's desperation to sell its junk 1.2ltr 3-pot diesel engine, junk compared to the current diesels we have.

I remember how Jeremy Clarkson made fun of Hyundai Accent 1.5ltr 3-pot diesel on his show TopGear. I wish one day he drives their own VW Polo 1.2ltr 3-pot diesel.

For those who missed that TopGear episode, here is the link.
YouTube - Cheap Korean and Malaysian cars?! (Top Gear) HQ [Part 1]
Surprised to know having good mileage qualifies to be junk! Interested to know about the shortcomings (other than the refinement) of this motor in your opinion.

Last edited by poloman : 3rd May 2010 at 21:19.
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:06   #1121
BHPian

Looking at the 900 odd sales figures, will VW be able to deliver 5000 bookings in 3 months waiting period.
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:45   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Surprised to know having good mileage qualifies to be junk! Interested to know about the shortcomings (other than the refinement) of this motor in your opinion.
I would say apart from good FE there is nothing that I can see in this engine.

GTO has put forward following points regarding VW's 1.2ltr 3-pot engine.
Quote:
The oil-burner is rather unresponsive below 2,100 rpms; whether you’re stepping on the gas a little or you have the pedal buried in the carpet below makes no difference. Turbo-lag is on the higher side and power delivery peaky. The times that you are at 10 kph in 2nd gear, and spot a gap in traffic to squeeze through, staying in the same gear will get you nowhere. The actual useable powerband is pretty narrow. A punchy mid-range, and the expected fuel efficiency, are probably the only redeeming qualities of this diesel. The diesel sounds crude in an old school way, including at regular city speeds.
If FE alone could have made an engine great then TATA's engines are the best!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1859789-post44.html
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:56   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoneti View Post
Please see the VW Polo Diesel Ad. The Fine print says it is as per the Rule 115 of CMVR which means Central Motor Vehicle Rules of 1989. I am surprised how VW so boldly said it would give 22km that too in a jungle. ARAI test track would be vastly different from the jungle.
I agree. This is one of the most stupid Ad I have ever seen. May be the Ad designer could have got carried away by ARAI test report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
This Diesel is definitely not the best in the market. I have driven i20 and Punto MJD. i20 is superb, Punto MJD is also very good. With VJT being added to Punto sports, it can beat i20. But as we all know, only an Engine does not make the car! Polo as a complete car is Superb. Have no doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Looking at the 900 odd sales figures, will VW be able to deliver 5000 bookings in 3 months waiting period.
I doubt, unless they change gear at the earliest. This is one of the worst launches I have witnessed. They have not planned it well. Add to that the inexperience of there dealers in handling numbers, it can be a mess.

Friends, please visit my new thread and post your opinion.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-approach.html

Last edited by Chethan B G : 3rd May 2010 at 22:59.
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:34   #1124
BHPian

^^^ so true sir, infact engine imo is the weakest link in polo.(its decent but impresses us the least compared to the other positives of the car)
Old 4th May 2010, 00:50   #1125
BHPian

The only bad point about the Polo I found was the 3 cylinder harsh engine at that price point (TD Petrol). The engine need not have 4 cylinders but it needs to be as smooth as the rest of the car is.

The next itch would be the headlamp. Why can't it just have the same one from the European model. Hoping that changes with the 1.6.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks