Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 19:46   #196
BHPian

Road Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
If I am going to South Goa (Benaulim/Colva) from Mumbai, should I take the Nipani, Ajra , Sawantwadi , NH17 route (which I have done before when I went to North Goa) or is there another exit further down NH4 which will take me to South Goa.

Speed is of the essence in this particular case.

Thanks

Back!
Took the Mumbai/Kolhapur/Sankeshwar/Gadhinglaj/Ajra/Amboli/Sawantwadi/Panjim/Madgaon while going
and Madgaon/Panjim/Sawantwadi/Ajra/Uttur/Nipani/Kolhapur/Mumbai on return.

The Gandhinglaj/Ajra/Amboli route is in overall good shape. Some road tarring going on, variable road conditions (read not smooth blacktop but gravellish tarred road) and NO potholes

The Ajra/Uttur/Nipani stretch is totally variable. Smooth blacktop, Potholed stretches, Narrow elevated 1.5 lanes, you name it. I made good time on it since it is empty and I was tailing a civic which was familiar with the road but overall would recommend the Sankheshwar/Gadhinglaj route

Checked with some commercial drivers in Madgaon about the NH4A/Londa/Ponda stretch and was immediately advised not to bother since there are massive traffic jams due to trucks, potholes and a fair bit of off road driving if one has to slip past the trucks.

The roads from Sawantwadi to Panjim are wide/being widened and are really nice.

Oh! And Goa is really really HOT!
Old 15th April 2010, 14:02   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
My trip went about fine,just finished posting the t-logue,do take a look at it whenever you can
Ranjitp1 looks like NH4A is in good condition at the moment. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1838568

Now that the holiday season has begun is anyone drivign down from Mumbai or Pune end of this month?
Regards
Old 15th April 2010, 15:08   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ranjitp1 looks like NH4A is in good condition at the moment. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1838568

Now that the holiday season has begun is anyone drivign down from Mumbai or Pune end of this month?
Regards
Thanx for the thread DF,the problem with that section is it stays good hardly for a couple of weeks before its back to being bad(unless some special care has been taken this time round with the road material),this section would stay good only if the iron ore trucks run the route with covered loads and stick to their approved tonnage.I am yet to recover from the shock of my previous drive on that section

I think I would still stick with the Amboli routes

When is your next trip to Goa?I think we will be there during the rains.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:47   #199
BHPian

Thanks EVERYONE for contributing to this exhaustive reference material. I am planning a family trip on 2nd May. I am going to take the Nipani-Sankheshwar-Gandhiglaj route, but there are many turn off between Nipani and Sankheshwar. (Google maps) which one is the right one?
Old 20th April 2010, 09:51   #200
Senior - BHPian

The first turn-off comes at the top of Tawande Ghat, after Nippani town, next to the Kaveri Hotel. This one takes you through Ajra to Amboli.

The second is at Sankeshwar, where you take a turn off to the town. This one takes you to Gadliganj and Amboli.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:17   #201
BHPian

Thanks hvk! From google maps, it looks like I should cross Nipani town, as you said. Then continue on NH4 and skip the Sh97 that starts off a little after Nipani. Then I skip the first 2 flyovers and turn right under the third one? and here I will also get to see the hotel Kaveri landmark.

Is this correct? Sorry guys, first long trip hence a little over-cautious.

Is the Nipani - Uttur - Ajra really bad of just bad compared to the other option?

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 20th April 2010 at 10:20.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:49   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
I am going to take the Nipani-Sankheshwar-Gandhiglaj route, but there are many turn off between Nipani and Sankheshwar.
The right one is the first photo in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1760803-post181.html

the second photo is the turn at the Kaveri and Satyapalace restaurants. The road from here to Ajra via Uttur is very narrow (You will have to go on to the shoulder of the road when there is an oncoming truck or bus) so go further down about 12 kms keep to the left go onto the service road and take the right under the NH4. Post your experience regards the road conditions. I will be driving down about that time too but I will go to Belgaum and turn towards Amboli.
There is a Macdonalds 186 km from bandra. You wil find the other eating places like sai international about 31 kms before kolhapur. Avoid the two restaurants at the turn to uttur.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-dscn6150-.jpg  

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 20th April 2010 at 10:55.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:03   #203
BHPian

deutscheafrikar Thanks!!

Now I got it. Your first picture in link was really helpful. Thanks to you and hvk.

Will try my hand at the travelogue, but is Goa not already saturated with numerous TLs?

Since you will be driving down too and I see your location as Candolim, why dont we try and see each other? I was born and brought up in Vasco and college was in Dhempe-Miramar.

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 20th April 2010 at 12:05.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:25   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
When is your next trip to Goa?I think we will be there during the rains.
Quote:
deutscheafrikar Since you will be driving down too and I see your location as Candolim, why dont we try and see each other?
I will let you know when I reach Goa.

Exhaust note is this your first drive to Goa? What car will you be going in?
Old 21st April 2010, 12:05   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Exhaust note is this your first drive to Goa? What car will you be going in?
Yes, this will be my first drive "to" Goa (Though I was born and educated in Vasco and Panjim ).

I will be driving my Wagon-R with four adults and a kid. My BIL, his wife, my wife, daughter and myself.
Old 21st April 2010, 12:17   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this will be my first drive "to" Goa (Though I was born and educated in Vasco and Panjim ).

I will be driving my Wagon-R with four adults and a kid. My BIL, his wife, my wife, daughter and myself.
I just drove to Goa this weekend...by second trip this year in my 1-yr old Getz.

While going i took the Pune-Nipani-Shankareshwar-Ghandilaj-Ajjar-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panaji route. Total distance 440km. Reached there in 8 hrs (including halts), left Pune at 6am and was in Panaji by 2pm.

While returning took the Uttur-Nippani route, back in 7.5 hrs. Both roads are in pretty good shape. Some rough patches here and there, but in general roads are good. Uttur roads are a bit narrow, however no traffic on this, so its quite drivable and shorter in distance as compared to the Shankareshwar route.
Old 21st April 2010, 12:33   #207
BHPian

@pamishra: Thanks for the "latest" update. And since it will not rain (most probably) in the next 15 days, the roads will remain the same.

Since the difference is about 30 minutes in a 9+ hour drive (from Navi Mumbai), I tend to take the seemingly safer option of the Sankheshwar route. While returning I might take the Uttur option since I will have a lot more confidence and lot more time also.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:36   #208
Senior - BHPian

Exhaust note the roads from the NH4 to Sawantwadi are not well mantained, you will come across rough portions where the fine gravel is not put on the rough stone/tar mixture or the top layer has come off in certain section on one half of the road. So one has to go from this side to that side and then back again. So so much of time is spent driving on that 100 kms that finally you get the feeling this is never ending. This is the boring part.
try MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go! they have a good route map too.

and when the amboli ghat ends there is a village called danoli. You need to go straight past that to sawantwadi. The reason I say this is that just after this village there used to be a sign showing that a left would take you to panjim etc.. shorter distance but a road to be avoided cause it's so narrow that just one car can pass and also in bad condition.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 21st April 2010 at 21:38.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:22   #209
BHPian

thanks @deutscheafrikar! "you will come across rough portions ...So so much of time is spent driving on that 100 kms that finally you get the feeling this is never ending. This is the boring part." - Reminds me of the Alibaug - Murud roads about a year ago. Options? if none then so be it . Since I have been studying this route so much, would not want to venture into a new route (Belgaum for instance) so late in the day. or, what do you say?

Also I am avoiding NH17 since it is a 2 laner with no divider. Don't want too many Indicas, Sumos and buses coming my way, to turn into their side at the last moment. Does anyone think I am being paranoid?

Thanks again for the Danoli tip!

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 22nd April 2010 at 10:25.
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:22   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I have been studying this route so much, would not want to venture into a new route (Belgaum for instance) so late in the day. or, what do you say?

Also I am avoiding NH17 since it is a 2 laner with no divider. Don't want too many Indicas, Sumos and buses coming my way, to turn into their side at the last moment. Does anyone think I am being paranoid?

Thanks again for the Danoli tip!
If its a scenic drive then NH17 is the option.
If its a fast drive,straight road drive,then NH4 should be your route.
As for getting to Goa,other than the NH17 there is no other direct route.I would say try DF's new found route through Belgaum,it wouldnt make much of a difference in terms of time.There has been a recent update on the threads that NH4A from Belgaum via Anmod-Londa-Ponda is in excellent condition now,would be a good idea to check with somebody at Kolhapur(cab drivers,bus drivers etc),if this route is good,then it would be the fastest route and very scenic as well when you come down the Anmod ghats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks