Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2013, 23:59   #1096
Team-BHP Support

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
The MMI GPS was totally useless. Finally the locals guided me to the right road after going through some narrow gullies and market places!
Just curious on this front. If you recorded this log on the GPS can you please the GPX file of the log? Just wanted to look which direction you took and where it failed.
Old 6th July 2013, 22:41   #1097
BHPian

Hi Team,

Any update for Gadhinglaj-ajra-amboli-sawantwadi-goa ?
Is it safe to drive at peak of monsoon?

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th July 2013, 23:02   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just curious on this front. If you recorded this log on the GPS can you please the GPX file of the log? Just wanted to look which direction you took and where it failed.
Hi ampere,

I was not aware that you could record logs on the GPS. A bit challenged on this front!!
I will delve deeper into the machine and see what I can do next time. Basically, it kept telling me to turn right when in the vicinity of Belgaum but there was no right turn visible - just fields!! Finally I ignored it and asked the locals whose directions were pretty spot on.

Regards,
SS
Old 6th July 2013, 23:09   #1099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi ampere,
I was not aware that you could record logs on the GPS. A bit challenged on this front!!
Thats really the fun part! GPS need not be used just for guiding us to go from point A to point B. What I do almost all the time, is plan the route on the PC and transfer that data to device. Then while driving I just turn on the GPS. The points that I have marked to take exits/deviations etc show up there, and I know where to move. Only in case when map data is wrong and actually the roads which I want to do, dont show up in reality, is when the problem hits hard and I need to figure out what to do. Most cases it does not happen.

And during all the time when the GPS is on, it samples your locartion, time, altitude etc. Once back you can download this information and view on tools like Google earth. Give a nice perspective to where all you drove, what speeds you did at what legs of the journey etc. Simple details, but nonetheless, fun to see on a map, once you are back from the drive!

Last edited by ampere : 6th July 2013 at 23:14.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:52   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Hi SS
What MMI GPS have you got? I have the LX340 which took me around in circles at piranwadi and sanquelim (near Datta Mandir). At Belgaum it worked absolutely and took me acroos from the NH4 to piranwadi.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

2. I got lost trying to find the entry to Belgaum and on to Piranwadi. The MMI GPS was totally useless. Finally the locals guided me to the right road after going through some narrow gullies and market places! So, sadly I will not be able to post proper directions this time for future users. Will try again next time.

All in all, an uneventful run. Took nine and a half hours total.

Regards,
SS
If you key in a route and play it, or navigate to a certain point then I think it's recorded. It gets stored in the history for about a month unless you lock that route. In that case it remains. I think one can export it to a .kml file. But I haven't been successful as yet.

Quote:
Hi ampere,

I will delve deeper into the machine and see what I can do next time.

Regards,
SS
Ampere what GPS are you using? How do you transfer and what format of file from PC to GPS?
Quote:
Thats really the fun part! GPS need not be used just for guiding us to go from point A to point B. What I do almost all the time, is plan the route on the PC and transfer that data to device. Then while driving I just turn on the GPS. The points that I have marked to take exits/deviations etc show up there, and I know where to move. Only in case when map data is wrong and actually the roads which I want to do, dont show up in reality, is when the problem hits hard and I need to figure out what to do. Most cases it does not happen.

Simple details, but nonetheless, fun to see on a map, once you are back from the drive!
I agree with this statement. I made an error once of having set the type & avoidance in the route as Shortest instead of fastest and gave it to a friend. So when he came back from Goa...guess what.. he went through gaganbawda on the 3rd and the bridge on that route was flooded. But due to the route being recorded I was able to figure out which ghat he took.
Old 7th July 2013, 12:13   #1101
BHPian

Hi SS
What MMI GPS have you got? I have the LX340 which took me around in circles at piranwadi and sanquelim (near Datta Mandir). At Belgaum it worked absolutely and took me acroos from the NH4 to piranwadi.

Hi DeutscheAfriker,
I have the Vx140S but the map version is 6.0 and I understand the latest is version 8.0. Do you have any idea how to download the latest version? I have tried to contact the helpline but they takes days to answer. The update costs 990 but I think it would be worth it.

Regards,
SS
Old 7th July 2013, 19:46   #1102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ampere what GPS are you using? How do you transfer and what format of file from PC to GPS?
I use a Garmin Nuvi 205W with MMI maps. What you to do is :

- Need to install the MMI binary maps into the Garmin S/W running on your PC/Mac. Its Mapsource for PC and Basecamp for Mac.
- The procudure to do the same is bit quirky but simple.
- Use Gmaptool to split the MMI maps (in Garmin Format). This split data can be recognized by Garmin S/W Mapsource or Basecamp
- Then use a tool like cgpsmapper to install the split data into Garmin S/W
- Once done you need edit registry via Mapset toolkits to install the map on the PC.

Once you are done with the above, you should the see the same map that you see on the GPS device. Now you can perform adding waypoints, POI etc on your PC. You can even perform routing between two waypoints and a sequence of waypoints. If the constraint (like shortest distance, shortest time, no toll etc) match between the device and the settings on the PC S/W, the route generated should be congruent as the routing algorithm should be same. These waypoints now you can transfer to the device through the S/W by connecting the device to the PC.

Last edited by ampere : 7th July 2013 at 19:48.
Old 9th July 2013, 12:07   #1103
BHPian

Returned from Goa yesterday morning, left from Pune on Friday Evening, route taken with road condition as below

1. Pune - Bhor
Roads are good till the turn-off for Bhor, multiple diversions, need to be careful for people, vehicles and animals crossings especially at Khed-Shivapur, Nasrapur and Kapurhole, these are major transit points

2. Bhor - Satara
The fun starts here, multiple diversions with extremely poor road conditions, this really pinches as you are paying good amount of money for toll (which I thought was to be for providing roads and not POTHOLES)

3. Satara - Kolhapur - Kagal
Not exactly Satara, but say around 20kms ahead, where the Golden Quadrilateral section between (Satara-Kagal section), you would see a marked difference in the quality of the roads and general maintenance/beautification of the dividers (very strange-it's actually maintained)

And thus we somehow manage to cross over to Karnataka after paying roughly around Rs.250 (I guess 75+66+66+66) by way of tolls for covering an approximate distance of around 250KMs, so around a rupee per KM.

4. Kagal - Belgaum (97KMs approx)
Wow, simple and fast, that's what highways are for right!
This section is amazing, very strange again as you only pay, (15+20=Rs.35 ONLY)

Now, you need to be careful here for only one thing, don't miss the turn for Belgaum it's very easy to miss it, as there ain't any marking whatsoever.

In May, when I traveled I missed the turn, and I kept wondering how did that happen, so this time around I was constantly on the lookout, you would understand that the city has started while you are on the fly-over, you need to keep a lookout for a temple on your left, its quiet big and visible and windmills.
If crossing by night, you would see the windmills with red lights (plenty of them).
Once you cross the temple slow down and keep an eye for an exit, take the exit and follow the service road and you would reach an underpass where finally you would see a board (hurray) pointing to the right for Belgaum City.

Here in this snapshot, you can an idea of where you would be taking the exit, zoom in the relevant areas and check.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-belgaum-exit-highway.jpg

5. Belgaum City - Peeranwadi
Stick to the main roads, you would be taking right turns all the time while going towards Peeranwadi, remember Chenamma Circle as a landmark, at two junctions there are two rights after the circle, take the one which the second right (counting anti-clockwise).
Once you reach, the cross road, take the road to the right, that goes to Jamboti and towards Chorla, the left road will take you to Khanapur.

6. Belgaum to Sanquelim (Via Chorla Ghat)
Excellent roads, scenic and refreshing, roads are very well marked with reflectors dotting every 5-10metres, night driving is a treat for enthusiasts.
Road is mostly 2 lane at many points, need to be very careful. Sharp turns through out. Also, you are crossing through Amedei Wildlife Sanctuary, so don't stop on the road.
You would reach a check-post at Karnataka border, post which after say around 10kms, you would notice the difference in road conditions, pot holes start appearing.
Plenty of waterfalls on the way, lot of picnic goers most of them drunk, BE CAREFUL! There is also a dam in the area (Anjunem Dam)

At the Goa entry post at Keri Forest Checkpost, you have to pay Rs.250 for entry which has now started a new income source (pun intended), you get to enter without a receipt for Rs.150

After the checkpost, head straight and stick to the main road till you reach a flyover above the road, you have to take a left and get on to the flyover to proceed towards Sanquelim - Bicholim - Tivim - Mapusa.

Keep going straight, plenty of speed breakers, markings are present at the speed breaker itself, so you won't get any time in case you spot the sign late.

Once, you reach the highway, stop! Taking a left would take you to Mapusa - Panaji but take it only if you are going to Panaji.
For going to Mapusa, cross the highway and take the road adjacent to the highway. This is a much shorter route.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-goa-entry-point-mapusa.jpg

We left from Pune at 715pm and reached Anjuna at 445am with 3 stops totaling to 2 hrs.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-belgaum-nh-exit-peeranwadi-crossroad.jpg  

Trojan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 12:24   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post

You can go to Ganapatipule and take MSH4 (Coastal highway) that runs along the coast via Ratnagiri and other places mentioned below right into Goa. Except near Vijaydurg. There you have to leave MSH 4 to take SH113 neara place called Mithgavane and join MSH 4 again near Devgad. This detour you have to actually ask for directions as signage is minimal.

From Devgad you can go till Goa via - Kunkeshwar - Mithbav - Munage - Achara - Malvan - Nerur (in this section dont miss visit to Dhamapur lake)- Kudal - Vengurla ... Again two options - From Vengurla you can go to Terekol and cross in a ferry or by road get into Goa near Satarda to join NH66.
We are planning on a trip to Goa from Mumbai this august. While we have pretty much decided to take the Mumbai-Pune-Belgaum-Chorla-Goa route on the way down.

While coming back we want to come using the SH4 using the route more or less outlined above.

Does anyone have updates on the road conditions for SH4 from Malvan all the way to Dapoli.

We plan to travel on the ferry between Jaigad and Tavasal and again from Dhopave and Dhabhol Jetty.
Old 9th July 2013, 17:26   #1105
Senior - BHPian

I think you will be able to buy it on their website and then load it on your device. Just check with them if you can buy and use the premium version on your device I think its 2k.
On the contrary I think they are doing a good job. Try sending them a msg http://www.mapmyindia.com/about/contact-us write to Mr. Nishant Sharma

or they have a phone you can call up 999333223/4 or 9910007103

Quote:
Hi DeutscheAfriker,
I have the Vx140S but the map version is 6.0 and I understand the latest is version 8.0. Do you have any idea how to download the latest version? I have tried to contact the helpline but they takes days to answer. The update costs 990 but I think it would be worth it.

Regards,
SS

Thanks Ampere, but it's gone right above my head :( . I have used MMI for PC and checked out their maps on my laptop. No idea if I can export that on to my LX340 though. But there is a difference in version of maps
Cheers
Quote:

Once you are done with the above, you should the see the same map that you see on the GPS device. Now you can perform adding waypoints, POI etc on your PC. You can even perform routing between two waypoints and a sequence of waypoints. If the constraint (like shortest distance, shortest time, no toll etc) match between the device and the settings on the PC S/W, the route generated should be congruent as the routing algorithm should be same. These waypoints now you can transfer to the device through the S/W by connecting the device to the PC.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 9th July 2013 at 17:28.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 22:58   #1106
BHPian

Now, you need to be careful here for only one thing, don't miss the turn for Belgaum it's very easy to miss it, as there ain't any marking whatsoever.

Hey Trojan,

The above makes me feel much better as I am still wondering what the hell I did wrong!!

At the Goa entry post at Keri Forest Checkpost, you have to pay Rs.250 for entry which has now started a new income source (pun intended), you get to enter without a receipt for Rs.150

Wish I had known about this. Will try it next time!!

Regards,

SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 13:21   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
The above makes me feel much better as I am still wondering what the hell I did wrong!!

Regards,
SS
Yep, even I was wondering the same when I first took that route in May, its kind of silly as its a major city and there is no marking at all.

I was in two minds about the entry fee as well, but since after the entry fee there are multiple check-posts (3) and if by any chance they happen to ask you for the receipt then it would be
Also, as per rule we are supposed to secure the receipt and hand it out while returning, if again we are asked to show the receipt then it would be

Cheers!
Old 10th July 2013, 13:30   #1108
Team-BHP Support

Another easy approach to remember this :

- If you guys know where to take the exit for Hotel Sankam, you are done.
- I hope many use this hotel for break, hence thought would refer to it.
- Take that exit. If you were planning to break at the hotel, take the break and dont get back to NH4.
Old 10th July 2013, 15:02   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,

SS
Hi SS
Are you certain you want to do that? First thing is that the receipt is supposed to be kept during your driving in the state cos I heard the cops can ask you for it. This swill prevent an outstation vehicle owner/driver from being harassed by the police. Second is that I have noticed when you exit Goa there is a guy in the lane who sits next to the toll booth and write numbers of the vehicle leaving Goa.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 10th July 2013 at 15:05.
Old 10th July 2013, 22:02   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Hi SS
Are you certain you want to do that? First thing is that the receipt is supposed to be kept during your driving in the state cos I heard the cops can ask you for it. This swill prevent an outstation vehicle owner/driver from being harassed by the police. Second is that I have noticed when you exit Goa there is a guy in the lane who sits next to the toll booth and write numbers of the vehicle leaving Goa.
Hey,
I was just kidding.
On a more serious note, I had no idea that one had to keep the receipt and I am fairly sure that wifey has chucked it.
Will have to hunt for it.

Regards,
SS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks