Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 11:03   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Mumbai Roadtrip

So is Bangalore - Mumbai doable in 12-13 hours in a SUV, given the latest road conditions (leaving out time spent going out of and entering the cities)? I am planning a Mumbai trip, and need to figure out how much time it could take. I have traveled on this route a couple of years back in a hatchback, so can't rely on that experience.

How much time (range) it should take for:
1. Night drive? I have pretty good lights so visibility on divided highways shouldn't be a problem.
2. Daytime drive?
Old 15th December 2011, 11:26   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
So is Bangalore - Mumbai doable in 12-13 hours in a SUV, given the latest road conditions (leaving out time spent going out of and entering the cities)? I am planning a Mumbai trip, and need to figure out how much time it could take. I have traveled on this route a couple of years back in a hatchback, so can't rely on that experience.

1. Night drive? I have pretty good lights so visibility on divided highways shouldn't be a problem.
2. Daytime drive?
when we did the trip to Pune in June, it took us around 16hrs; comfortable drive with ample stops for fuel and food. started at 1am from Bangalore and reached Pune by 5pm. Mumbai is about 2-3hrs from Pune.

on the return trip, we started from Pune at 1am and reached Bangalore by 4pm.

IMO, in the Maharashtra section of NH4, they've grown bushes on the divider and hence you don't get the glare of headlights from vehicles coming on the opposite side. this is not the case once you enter Karnataka.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 11:30   #1008
BHPian

Quote:

2. Daytime drive?
In my previous two occasions this year, the door-to-door (Indiranagar to Mulund) time was 14.5 hours and 14 hours with a range of 90-120 kmph on the highways. With your T-fort, the timings are very much possible. Never driven on this route at night so cannot say much on that.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 11:32   #1009
BHPian

In case of SUVs, I guess the distance of 1000kms can be covered at an average speed of 80 to 100kmph during nights while during daytime the average speed would drop to be in the range of 65 to 80kmph. This means that night travel will take time of 12 to 14 hours (excluding breaks) while day time travel could take 15 to 18 hrs (excluding breaks) The major delay happens when one is required to wait at the various toll gates particularly on the Maharashtra stretch.

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 15th December 2011 at 11:42.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:34   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. So I take it that the bad roads (after Chitradurga) have been all patched up, and I only need to be on the lookout for unexpected bumps.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:45   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So is Bangalore - Mumbai doable in 12-13 hours in a SUV,

2. Daytime drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
when we did the trip to Pune in June, it took us around 16hrs; c
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
In my previous two occasions this year, the door-to-door (Indiranagar to Mulund) time was 14.5 hours and 14 hours
I have done this twice in the last one year. On both ocassions started at 0600 /0530 and ended up at the other city 2130 /2200 h, (door to door; CV RAman Nagar to Colaba). Leaving the city is smooth but entering the destination city has always been bad traffic. so I say 16 hrs with 1.5 hrs break is about average. At night there is less traffic at the tolls esp in MH, but my average speed comes down due to my extra cautious speeds at night. (I have 100/90 beams)
Old 15th December 2011, 11:51   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. So I take it that the bad roads (after Chitradurga) have been all patched up, and I only need to be on the lookout for unexpected bumps.
Yes and the unexpected bumps appear only 3-4 hours into the journey starting from Bangalore. That too only because they appear suddenly on an otherwise flawless road. Nothing surprising after that. MH has a lot of bumps but you are already driving slowly before they appear.

Last edited by nileshch : 15th December 2011 at 11:53.
Old 15th December 2011, 12:23   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So is Bangalore - Mumbai doable in 12-13 hours in a SUV,
Pretty doable in 12-14 hours without breaks. For including breaks add 1.5-2 hours. I had done this last December end in my NHC. Started at 5 am from Bangalore-RT nagar, reached Mumbai-Dahisar at 9 pm i.e. exactly 16 hours including 2 hours of break. Actual driving time would be about 13 hours. At that time, the railway overbridge at Haveri, Ranibennur was still being constructed. I believe it has been completed by now.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 12:57   #1014
Senior - BHPian

aah, i remember now. those nasty invisible speed breakers are in the vicinity of Ranibennur. if you're travelling by night, please be careful in this area.
Old 15th December 2011, 17:23   #1015
bhp
BHPian

Quote:

2. Daytime drive?
13-14 hours is possible in the night. depends how often your taking a break.
Old 15th December 2011, 20:02   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

2. Daytime drive?
Nilanjan,

The road throughout is excellent. Till Kolhapur is a breeze and with your fortuner, you will reach within 7 Hours. Beyond that you will slow down but still can comfortably reach Bombay in 12-13 Hours.

These humps are between Chitradurga and Davanagere near Bharamasagara. Apart from this there is absolutely no issues throughout.

Night drive is definitely feasible - if you are comfortable - as the road has good reflectors, median and signages all along. Alternately, leaving Bangalore around 4 AM should also be comfortable and you can have your breakfast in Hubli - a drive of four and half hours - and reach Bombay by 4 PM.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 20:30   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So is Bangalore - Mumbai doable in 12-13 hours in a SUV
With an SUV, I'm sure you can manage (though 13-14 might be a better estimate). I did it the other way in 14 hours in May in my Civic, with two drivers and minimal stops. Travelogue here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2355701
Old 15th December 2011, 20:52   #1018
BHPian

Me to leaving Bangalore on the 23rd for Mumbai. Anyone wants to drive along?

Last year when I did it, I left Mumbai at 4 PM and entered Bangalore at 6 PM. Was quite comfortable in the night as I love night drives and my i20 was great.

While going to Mumbai, I had a lot of stops and breaks in Hubli, Belgaum, Pune, so not putting up the timings here.

In a bigger vehicle, it is a comfortable 12-12.5 hours drive. Night drives usually mean less breaks and cool weather.

Last edited by CorsaLove : 15th December 2011 at 20:53. Reason: edit
Old 16th December 2011, 21:27   #1019
BHPian

Hi folks,
I am planning to do a Bombay-bangalore -Bombay trip over the year-end. This is going to be my third drive, however my last drive on this route was back in 2008 with my good old Indica. I guess many of you would have done this route recently. Now, this bawaji intends to do this trip in his Ford Fiesta. Would be nice if somebody could update me with the toll charges each way. My starting point is Andheri and end point is Abbigere (north bangalore).
Old 17th December 2011, 10:55   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekfar View Post
Hi folks,
I am planning to do a Bombay-bangalore -Bombay trip over the year-end. This is going to be my third drive, however my last drive on this route was back in 2008 with my good old Indica. I guess many of you would have done this route recently. Now, this bawaji intends to do this trip in his Ford Fiesta. Would be nice if somebody could update me with the toll charges each way. My starting point is Andheri and end point is Abbigere (north bangalore).
Please read through the last 3-4 pages of this thread. all the info you want is neatly tabulated.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks