Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 12:00   #2206
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

thank you. any chance of some pictures of this please?
i think it must be the same/ similar to the fabricated parcel shelves that are placed in the backs of hatchbacks when the after market music system speaker installation is being done.
But I would vastly prefer the nylon / pVC/ PU retractable system as present in some premium SUV's in India or normal SUV's abroad.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
I have done something similar, but it's not easy to remove. Basically it's a hard 1 inch board covered with carpet type cloth, in the form of a shelf that covers all of the bay. So I have about 18 inches (about 3 inches above the wheel wells) of space below it for things that remain regularly in the car, and the top is used for any heavy luggage for long travels(it can take the weight unlike the cover you propose) this also makes it easy to access my toolkit without removing the luggage. Very useful and convenient
Old 13th May 2011, 13:00   #2207

Hello Team BHP members,

I have got myself a new Scorpio SLE on 7th Mar 2011. As on date I have found a few quality issues:-

1. A week back the driver side power window motor gave away. It was replaced promptly on calling the helpline.

2. The second trouble came up is of the ignition switch which gets stuck when the key is removed and reinserted to unlock. Yesterday while preparing to return home from work the key refused to turn despite all efforts. I then managed a spray lubricant for electrical maintenence and used it in the switch. 30 seconds later it suddenly turned. It is still working and the helpline person has advised replacement which is a big project spl with the configuration of the icats with the ECM.

3. I would seek advise on:
a) If I should go ahead and replace? as curently the key is turning though it is still a bit (5%) sticky when you initially insert and turn the key.
b) Has anyone else experienced such a problem? If yest what action did you take.

Await your advise.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:29   #2208
Senior - BHPian

suggest change the entire ignition /key start system under warranty.
will be done in a matter of a day including the remapping of the new key to the ECM etc.
it is better to replace completely rather than repair or live with a faulty system. since it is a brand new vehicle, you wont incur any cost, so why not?
all the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_sukhu View Post
Hello Team BHP members,

I have got myself a new Scorpio SLE on 7th Mar 2011. As on date I have found a few quality issues:-

1. A week back the driver side power window motor gave away. It was replaced promptly on calling the helpline.

2. The second trouble came up is of the ignition switch which gets stuck when the key is removed and reinserted to unlock. Yesterday while preparing to return home from work the key refused to turn despite all efforts. I then managed a spray lubricant for electrical maintenence and used it in the switch. 30 seconds later it suddenly turned. It is still working and the helpline person has advised replacement which is a big project spl with the configuration of the icats with the ECM.

a) If I should go ahead and replace? as curently the key is turning though it is still a bit (5%) sticky when you initially insert and turn the key.
b) Has anyone else experienced such a problem? If yest what action did you take.

Await your advise.
shankar.balan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 20:46   #2209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team BHP members,

Await your advise.
Issue # 2 is a known issue, I have face the same in my Scorpio when it was new, and not once but twice. Both the times the keylock system was changed and new keys provided under warranty. The setup of the security system will also be done at the A.S.S.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 08:37   #2210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure the steering lock mechanism is not interfering?
Insert the key and gently turn the steering wheel a little to each side with one hand while trying to turn the key with the other. At one particular point it should turn smoothly without any obstruction.
anupmathur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 12:51   #2211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Are you sure the steering lock mechanism is not interfering?
Insert the key and gently turn the steering wheel a little to each side with one hand while trying to turn the key with the other. At one particular point it should turn smoothly without any obstruction.
This peculiarity is there in every Maruti car I have owned. The key will not turn at certain positions of the stearing, so if it does not, I turn the steering till the key turns. I actually like this "feature" as it ensures that persons not familiar with it cannot just run away with the car!
Old 15th May 2011, 10:31   #2212
BHPian

Hi all,

My 2003 NonCRDE Scorpio came back from the 80K service.
I got all rubber hoses for the cooling system and the petrol pipes changed.
Somehow the Replacement Main Belt which was installed at 60,000 km already showed signs of cracks, and I got it replaced again. The Power Stearing belt was also changed.
With De-carbonizing for (1600) the total cost came to around 12,000.
It is high, but then it was a complete overall of the cooling system with a Radiator flush and coolant change.

Okay I need some suggestion. My Dark Green Scorpio 2003 stands in the Sun, and over the years the Roof has faded and white patches can be seen. Please see the attached picture. Has anybody else experienced this ? I inquired the cost of painting the roof, and was quoted 5,000 for this. Should I get this done, and is this a reasonable cost.

Styler
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-scorpioroof.jpg  

Old 15th May 2011, 11:16   #2213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Okay I need some suggestion. My Dark Green Scorpio 2003 stands in the Sun, and over the years the Roof has faded and white patches can be seen. Please see the attached picture. Has anybody else experienced this ? I inquired the cost of painting the roof, and was quoted 5,000 for this. Should I get this done, and is this a reasonable cost.

Styler
I have yet to come across automotive paint fading to a light colour. Clothes do but automotive paints do not. Looks more like the effect of vigorous cleaning over the years. This happens as it is easier to put more pressure on flat horizontal surfaces compared to vertical surfaces while cleaning.

Those white patches seem to be the base paint coat. Get it painted fast, otherwise the base metal will start showing, after a few more months of vigorous cleaning, and rust will follow. Please note that the spray paint used for retouching (and by all outside large paint shops) is softer than the factory applied baked enamel paint, hence it will abrade faster than the factory paint.

By the way is the paint original or was the roof painted at some point in time?
Old 15th May 2011, 11:23   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have yet to come across automotive paint fading to a light colour. Clothes do but automotive paints do not. Looks more like the effect of vigorous cleaning over the years. This happens as it is easier to put more pressure on flat horizontal surfaces compared to vertical surfaces while cleaning.

Those white patches seem to be the base paint coat. Get it painted fast, otherwise the base metal will start showing, after a few more months of vigorous cleaning, and rust will follow. Please note that the spray paint used for retouching (and by all outside large paint shops) is softer than the factory applied baked enamel paint, hence it will abrade faster than the factory paint.

The paint has faded in the Sun. The roof of Scorpio is so high and inconvenient to reach, so it is hardly every cleaned, except for an occasional damp cloth.
If it is not supposed to fade this way, then it is poor quality of Paint Job by Mahindra, and perhaps they should paint my roof for free .
No part of my Scorpio has ever been painted.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 15th May 2011 at 11:29.
Old 15th May 2011, 12:19   #2215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

Sir, paint fading courtesy harsh sun light and elements is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
The paint has faded in the Sun. The roof of Scorpio is so high and inconvenient to reach, so it is hardly every cleaned, except for an occasional damp cloth.
If it is not supposed to fade this way, then it is poor quality of Paint Job by Mahindra, and perhaps they should paint my roof for free .
No part of my Scorpio has ever been painted.

Styler
In my 2000 Model Uno which has never been parked under a cover and never been painted, the paint has reduced to just a sample. Even though the primer is not showing, its lost its gloss and is now a totally different colour.

I would suggest getting it painted and if the ASC is quoting 5K, then its not bad. Just make sure that the colour matching is done properly and ask them for double, may be even triple coat of lacquer so that the paint doesn't fade that bad further on.

But then all this will depend, how long further you intend to keep the vehicle

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 13:59   #2216
Senior - BHPian

Last night came across this unique phenomenon. I have a Scorpio Getaway and my parking spot in my building is slightly incline. My Bolero used to be parked there previously and now its the Getaway. Since the place is slightly on an incline, I park with handbrake and 1st gear engaged (vehicle facing upward).

Yesterday also I parked in the similar fashion and engaged the first gear but initially the handbrake wasn't engaged. Even though the vehicle was in gear, it started moving back slowly little bit after breaks. It was as if the vehicle was held on one teeth and when that gave up, the vehicle moved a bit, stopped and again moved.

I thought the vehicle is supposed to stop while in gear and not intermittently move like it did yesterday. The Bolero never showed anything like this.

Any idea why this happened and how could it be fixed?

Cheers
Old 16th May 2011, 14:02   #2217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher
Last night came across this unique phenomenon. I have a Scorpio Getaway and my parking spot in my building is slightly incline. My Bolero used to be parked there previously and now its the Getaway. Since the place is slightly on an incline, I park with handbrake and 1st gear engaged (vehicle facing upward).

Yesterday also I parked in the similar fashion and engaged the first gear but initially the handbrake wasn't engaged. Even though the vehicle was in gear, it started moving back slowly little bit after breaks. It was as if the vehicle was held on one teeth and when that gave up, the vehicle moved a bit, stopped and again moved.

I thought the vehicle is supposed to stop while in gear and not intermittently move like it did yesterday. The Bolero never showed anything like this.

Any idea why this happened and how could it be fixed?

Cheers
This is not a problem. It's just the engine turning with the force at the wheels on the slope. Just make sure the hand break is fully engaged.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:05   #2218
Team-BHP Support

Maybe a stone under the wheel as well.

If its a TRUCK. It will behave like a truck.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:08   #2219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost

At least don't treat it like a truck
Old 16th May 2011, 14:10   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
This is not a problem. It's just the engine turning with the force at the wheels on the slope. Just make sure the hand break is fully engaged.
I always keep the handbrake engaged. Yesterday I intentionally left it to check something else when I noticed this happening. But the vehicle weighs only 2.1 Tons. Bolero used to weigh about 1700 Kgs, not much difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Anything else?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks