Attaching tow Hook Pictures,
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-img487.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-img488.jpg  

Old 27th July 2009, 22:59   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Hi-lift jack : it takes another month to get it from Ozone, we ordered 5' jacks 2 numbers,
Hi Swastikviji
how much does a Hi Lift jack cost and is there any manufacturer in india or all are imported???
Old 27th July 2009, 23:57   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi Swastikviji
how much does a Hi Lift jack cost and is there any manufacturer in india or all are imported???
Hi Harjeev

when i bought 5' HLJ 2 years back i paid 7k, now he has not quoted yet, all Hi lifts Jacks are Imported, Hi lift Is a Brand Name, i heard some where you can get similar type from other brands also. if you want exact quote PM me i give dealer number in Bangalore.--V.Vijay.
Old 28th July 2009, 06:33   #139
BHPian

D-Rings etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Regarding D-rings wait for another 3 days i am getting these from suresh sir.

Hi-lift jack : it takes another month to get it from Ozone, we ordered 5' jacks 2 numbers,

Rear tow hook: if you don't have a trailer don't go for ready tow hook try some thing like this. its enough to pull you out are you can pull a Jeep.
Hi Vijay,
Please let me know if you got the D-rings and have a couple of extras.

Are the 2 Hi-Lift Jacks you ordered already reserved for others?

When I was speaking to Narayan, he suggested that if I go to a Tractor spares shop, I can get a simple tow hook and pin (similar to one he has on his land rover) which is very inexpensive and does the job. I will try that when I go to JC road.
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:29   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
Hi Vijay,
Please let me know if you got the D-rings and have a couple of extras.

Are the 2 Hi-Lift Jacks you ordered already reserved for others?

When I was speaking to Narayan, he suggested that if I go to a Tractor spares shop, I can get a simple tow hook and pin (similar to one he has on his land rover) which is very inexpensive and does the job. I will try that when I go to JC road.
Hi Ganesh,
Still i have not received D rings, ya the two HLJ are reserved for my friends, once Mr Narayan gets the consignment he gets more than 50 numbers, if you want it i ask him to reserve one more for me, the tow hook you are talking is very crude yar its not going to match to your jeep, give me two days time i have one more idea,i will post the picture to you-V.Vijay.
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-s-190.jpg  

Old 7th March 2010, 14:31   #141
BHPian

Long time, no updates

It's been a while since I updated my thread here, so I though I should document a few changes made over the last few months.

I had continued problems with my starter getting stuck every now and then - leading to my lack of confidence in taking my F-Head out on long drives and OTRs. The reason was 1. the starter itself not being reliable and 2. the flywheel ring not mating well with the bendix.

Another problem I had was with the carburettor, since it was fouling regularly and caused my jeep to shut down frequently - causing me to restart constantly - which inturn caused my started to get jammed.

Mr. UBS sent me a good starter and M34 carb - which were life savers on my last OTR. Completed the 2 day OTR at avalakonda without issues.

Recently, I had a big problem with my gearbox. It was slipping from 2nd gear regularly and was also humming and causing vibrations. Got the gearbox replaced with another 3 speed one and the ride is much smoother.

I have also replaced my old radiator with a larger one (although, I now feel it was not necessary since I did not have any heating issues), however, I am more confident of driving it long distances without heating problems.

So, I can tell you now that all major issues have been overcome and the jeep is running close to original condition. It's finally a pleasure to drive and feels smooth and powerful.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:55   #142
BHPian

What next?

Alright, It's been over a year since I started this thread and now I have come full circle! There is no better way to learn than by doing it yourself - I know everyone agrees with it.

Still a lot questions in my head, what it is I want to achieve in the long run? Another question is what have I learned by this experience? now, where do I want to go from here?

Why did I want a Jeep?
- Let's get the easy one out of the way: childhood fantasy, its cool, it is macho etc. etc.
- My history with Jeeps: been involved with new Jeep launches and been in almost every Jeep assembly plant.
- Wanted to get hands on experience with autos: no better way to do it than to start with the simple & basic CJ3b.
- A unique/personalized vehicle: that I can be proud to say I designed based on my tastes and likes/dislikes.
- Wanted to do offroading: last but not the least, to be involved in an adventure sport and use the Jeep for its real capability.

What did I learn by my experience?
- Gives a lot of satisfaction: at all the stages to develop a game plan of what you want, how to get it done, tackling issues, overcoming it etc.
- Better understanding/appreciation for vintage vehicles: I think this may be my most important take away from all this. I could not fully understand people wanting and working on old cars, and now I don't care too much for new vehicles/technology.
- The pain/pleasure of owning a vintage Jeep: I don't have to say anything here - you just have to experience it.
- The OTR experience: Getting away from the hustle and bustle to be one with your vehicle out in nature.
- Capabilities of 4WD vehicles: How to tackle the terrains, how to be prepared and the capabilities of SWB vs. LWB etc..

What I still don't understand?
- Deeper technical knowledge: Although one would like to devote more time to understand the technical working of the vehicles it was not the original intent to be an expert in mods and performance enhancement.
- Is it worth pushing a 3B during OTRs: I can clearly see that with a CJ3b there is more time spent in maintaning the Jeep and there is no point in damaging the vehicle by pusing it during OTRs. Even though it is capable, you can easily come home each time with a laundry list of things to fix = $$.
- Suitability for city driving: I have been using it for city driving, using it atleast a couple days a week driving to work. Obviously, poor mileage is one aspect and the other is drivability/gearing for traffic.
- To bling or not to bling: I know it is a personal choice. I know that more than 95% think that it is a "Sin" to make it look fancy. I am not looking for a lecture on this topic, but being an artist, to me: looks are just as important as performance. The question is how to balance the two and how far to take it before it is considered a sin.

Where should I go from here?
- I want to do offroading regularly: without having to worry about damaging parts and not being able to find spares. Also want it to be a capable vehicle that can hold its own.
- I want it to be reliable: without the fear of it breaking down at any point wether it is during an OTR or when I am on an outing with the family. Basic maintenance is OK.
- I want to be able to use it a few times during the week: I prefer taking my bullet to work rather than the car, but, I would really prefer that I am able to take my Jeep when I am not using my bullet. Should be able to handle all weathers.

So, this is what I am leading to:
1. If I am able to sell my Jeep for a reasonable price (to cover what I have spent), should I go ahead and sell it?
2. Although I have answered my own question somewhat.. what kind of vehicle should I get that meets my need?

Most people ask these kind of questions before they buy a vehicle, but I am asking them at the cross-roads that I am at right now, so that I can get inputs and validate the decision I am about to make.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:05   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. If I am able to sell my Jeep for a reasonable price (to cover what I have spent), should I go ahead and sell it?
2. Although I have answered my own question somewhat.. what kind of vehicle should I get that meets my need?

Most people ask these kind of questions before they buy a vehicle, but I am asking them at the cross-roads that I am at right now, so that I can get inputs and validate the decision I am about to make.
Hey Ganesh,
PUHLEEZ! Don't sell your lovely Jeep. You would miss it big time!
If you still want to have another vehicle, you could find a well maintained 540/550/Gypsy, but please don't sell your CJ3B.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:46   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, this is what I am leading to:
Only if you are buying a spanking new Gypsy/Gurkha. Otherwise a big NO.

No point otherwise, closest option to get something better than CJ is MM 550 but you will have re-live the whole build experience. Do you want to do that?

EDIT: I made the same mistake with RD 350 and i still kick myself every other day!
Old 10th March 2010, 19:40   #145
BHPian

What to do next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Ganesh,
PUHLEEZ! Don't sell your lovely Jeep. You would miss it big time!
If you still want to have another vehicle, you could find a well maintained 540/550/Gypsy, but please don't sell your CJ3B.
Hi Deepak,

I share your sentiments, but, I have spent a LOT of time & money on my Jeep. Quite honestly, I can have 2 for the price of one. I am sure I will miss it, but don't you think there is a price point to consider that will offset the effort.

I am assuming that there will be a substitute no doubt, but how good of a substitute it will be. I feel I am better informed now to make the next vehicle even better. As you can see from my own counter arguements, that I am leaning towards selling it. I guess I am looking for hard reasons not to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Only if you are buying a spanking new Gypsy/Gurkha. Otherwise a big NO.

No point otherwise, closest option to get something better than CJ is MM 550 but you will have re-live the whole build experience. Do you want to do that?

EDIT: I made the same mistake with RD 350 and i still kick myself every other day!
Jaggu,
Do you think that even a more recent Gypsy or a 550 (under 10 years) will take the same amount of effort & time to get done up?

If I focus on building a simple no frills off-roader would it not be better?

Thanks for your inputs

I am seeing a trend where a lot of guys have built and sold their vehicles recently - Harjeev, Randeep & Whicked wheels come to mind. I would like to know their reasons too.

Last edited by gbanavar : 10th March 2010 at 19:43.
Old 10th March 2010, 21:21   #146
Team-BHP Support

A rebuild takes some time to stabilize, i would give it atleast a year. I suggest you touch base with DKG also.

If you are looking at reliability angle, its gypsy and nothing else can come close. Ideally buy a brand new one so that you have atleast 1-2 years of absolute reliability

At the end of the day its your call.
Old 10th March 2010, 22:58   #147
BHPian

Go for a GYPSY .
I would say a MM540 is also better and you can use it for all purpose without damaging your vallet. I drive it alone everywhere and even for my weekend trips, also expedition trips. doesn't it mean reliable? A 540 if you want it to be reliable, the secret is to use it as daily drive. if you park it for a long time, then it will develop all kinda symptoms. look for one which is in dialy use.
Old 10th March 2010, 23:10   #148
Team-BHP Support

@star: Why do you guys hate CJ's for regular use?
Old 11th March 2010, 00:22   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@star: Why do you guys hate CJ's for regular use?
he he no privacy can't roll up the windows and lock the doors.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:11   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....I have spent a LOT of time & money on my Jeep. Q..... I am leaning towards selling it. I guess I am looking for hard reasons not to!
if you emotionally feel & believe that it is best to sell it, then sell it and move on. At the end of the day, OTR is an emotional activity and best done with a vehicle that you feel are comfortable with.

Quote:
...I am seeing a trend where a lot of guys have built and sold their vehicles recently - Harjeev, Randeep & Whicked wheels come to mind. I would like to know their reasons too.
I think that one learns from the experience and can use that in the next build -- you yourself mention this.

I would suggest that you go for a Gypsy (used or new, your choice). Super reliable, cost effective & a super performer even in stock form

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
.... A 540 if you want it to be reliable, the secret is to use it as daily drive. if you park it for a long time, then it will develop all kinda symptoms. look for one which is in dialy use.
mmmm... from what I hear, a certain Blue 540 has not been drive for a long time, nor washed or greased . I wonder what would be it's state now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks