Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2009, 09:15   #1
BHPian

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project

Hi All,
I have started a pretty exhaustive upgrade project on a 1968 CJ3B Petrol, which I bought about a month ago. What started as getting the leaks and starting issues fixed turned out to be a full tear down and build job. I knew that I would go deep eventually, and had plans of changes I wanted to make before I bought him. Body of the Jeep is in good condition overall and I have attached some "Before" pictures.

I have made a long list of things I am getting done (in Excel) that I can share with anyone interested. It includes at a macro level, the following;
1. Engine rehaul
2. Paint job
3. Safety
4. Mechanical upgrades
5. Electrical upgrades
6. Aesthetics upgrade

A lot of work has been done, especially with the engine refurb. All seals, bearings, etc have been procured and machine shop work completed. The engine is being assembled and will be done in a couple of days.

The chassis is painted and we are working on painting the body. This is taking a lot of time, but I want to do this the right way. It will take another two weeks to be done. The tub, fenders, chassis has all been taken apart, which will make it a little easier and better for the paint job.

Mechanically, the suspension and radiator has been redone. The steering, axles, brakes are ok. Electricals seemed to be ok, but now since I have taken everything apart, will have to redo some of the wiring. The main things electrically are the starter, fuel pump and eventually CDI ignition. I am getting a bonnet lock, new seats with seat belt and probably a roll bar. A lot of aesthetic as well as functional upgrades are on the list including chroming. In fact a majority of the chroming is done including the Grille! Meters have been upgraded. A lot more to go.

I have been seeking advice from Mr. UBS, H.B. Vivek, Pavan Kadam and others and it is flowing. So, I would like to thank them for their suggestions and knowledge. Any suggestions from members here will also be appreciated.

I will be adding more pictures.. I am working on an agressive time line and hope to have it put together in a couple of weeks.. we shall see.

- Ganesh Banavar
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-before.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-engine-off.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-engine-teardown.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-chassis.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-tub.jpg  

Old 15th February 2009, 10:11   #2
BHPian

All the best for your upgrade mate
Old 15th February 2009, 10:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

All the best

Good to see someone else also bitten by the CJ3B bug.

I've also been bitten. There is a WILLYS CJ3B near my place, the owner is quoting 50,000 for it, the only problem is, it does not have any documents

I'm facing a dilema. I know it is invaluable, an original WILLYS, with the HURRICANE petrol engine, in running condition

Went to the scarp guys in Shivaji Nagar, found the scrap value to be less than 15,000. Thinking of offering 25,000 for the vehicle.

What I propose to do if I get around purchasing the vehicle is
  • Go to Kolar, apply for a B-report and get the registration details of the vehicle. Follow up with the registered owner and get the vehicle transferred
  • Keep the vehicle running, without attempting any great restoration, and slowly get it back into shape without pulling it apart and re-building it
Apologise for hijacking the thread. Could not hold myself back from the excitement when I saw your vehicle. Have written to UBS Sir and Behram Sir for advice. Raghavendra has advised me against the vehicle

Totally confused, will follow your thread closely

Hope you know about the 'CJ3B Page' and 'WillysOverland.com'. Was researching those sites and found a lot of information.
Attached Images

Old 15th February 2009, 10:40   #4
BANNED

Aahh, Finally Ganesh's thread is out.

Willing to help anytime , anywhere when in need.

This jeep is already looking good, will be worth to watch the restoration process.

Best of luck Ganesh.

@ TheArun: Buddy i've PM'ed you , may god bless you with a jeep soon.
Old 15th February 2009, 15:44   #5
BHPian

Engine Rehaul

I am going to start with the engine.. Here is a list of the things I had to change/upgrade.

1. Engine Seals
2. Sleeves
3. Main Bearings
4. Main Bearing Seal (Used Rope Type from P4 Simson engine as suggested by Mr. UBS)
5. Piston Pins
6. Crank Bearings
7. Cam Bush
8. Valve Guides (8)
9. Packing Kit
10. Gasket Kit
11. Rings
12. 9 Spring Pressure Plate/Clutch Plate from the B275 international engine as suggested by Mr. UBS
13. Other misc. seals and such

The crankshaft had to be machined due to uneven wear and the bearings fitted to match. The flywheel had to be drilled to accommodate the 9 Spring pressure plate assembly. Luckily the bell housing I had on my engine was large enough to accommodate the pressure plate. I purchased a housing that will fit, but don't have a need for it. The gear box is in good condition and only required cleaning and greasing. The engine is being re-assembled and will be completed soon.

- Ganesh Banavar
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-crankshaft.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-back-machine-shop.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-loki-raju.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-gear-box-assy.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-rope-type-seal.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-engine-block.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-9-spring-pressure-plate.jpg  

Old 15th February 2009, 19:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Gbanavar, looks like things are progressing nicely. What engine is that and what are its specs? Are you rebuilding the carb?
Old 15th February 2009, 21:26   #7
BHPian

Hurricane Petrol F-Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Gbanavar, looks like things are progressing nicely. What engine is that and what are its specs? Are you rebuilding the carb?
It is the Hurricane F4-134 2200cc engine that puts out 72 lbs. ft. @ 4,000 rpm. You can find the detailed spec. here Hurricane Engine Specs on The Jeep CJ3B Page

It looks like the carb is in good shape. It will be tuned after the engine is assembled. I am however thinking of getting a K&N filter since I have a free flow exhaust. This may require re-jetting the carb. I also plan on installing an electric fuel pump. It looks like Santosh had some issues with the electric fuel pumps he tried and I need to see what happens with mine.

I will play around with the carb once I have the vehicle running.

- Ganesh Banavar
Old 15th February 2009, 21:36   #8
BHPian

You are welcome to share space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Apologise for hijacking the thread. Could not hold myself back from the excitement when I saw your vehicle. Have written to UBS Sir and Behram Sir for advice. Raghavendra has advised me against the vehicle

Totally confused, will follow your thread closely
Arun,
Hope things work out like you are hoping. I don't have any idea about straightening out the paper work.

I have done some research on the CJ3B site, talking to knowledgeable people and reading forums. It is amazing how helpful this community is . I suggested to Mr. UBS to publish a Technical Manual that will help amateurs and professionals alike. It will make it easy for everyone to consolidate this information. Even though there is a lot of information, some of it is conflicting and other times it is an individual's preference on how far to take things.

Anyway, let me know if you need any assistance with what I have picked up in a short span of time.

- Ganesh Banavar
Old 15th February 2009, 23:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good luck with the project.

I too bought a CJ3B from a Doctor in Allahabad, UP for Rs. 65,000 and started restoring it. I had bought it in July 2007. It was complete by March 2008 and I drove it off road. It was superb.
Now I have it with me in Gurgaon, Delhi NCR.

Total cost of the project was Rs. 150,000 but I get a lot of excitement out of it, money well spent I would say it is one of my favourite toys these days.

Will post pics of it as soon as I learn how to.
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-cj2b-010.jpg  

Old 16th February 2009, 01:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic. Reading stuff like this kicks my a++ out of my office and want to go get my 3b baby out of hibernation. Its picking up speed alright. Way to go mate, hope to see you around in action soon!
Old 16th February 2009, 01:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

More pics
During the restoration.
When it was bought from the Doctor
On its first outdoor trip - the canvas top was yet to be made then.
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-08032007787.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-22032007851.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th February 2009 at 11:12.
Old 16th February 2009, 09:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I had bought it in July 2007. It was complete by March 2008 and I drove it off road. It was superb.
Desertfox,
Your Jeep looks great! I sure don't have the patience to wait for 8 months! My Jeep as I bought it, was in better condition than most.. and I could have had it on the road even if I had rebuilt the engine and taken care of mechanical and electrical issues. Painting by far, takes the longest amount of time and it is not something you want to get done hurriedly.

Please let us know what work you got done on it.. general and performance wise.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th February 2009 at 09:49.
Old 16th February 2009, 09:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ganesh,
It is nice to see your jeep coming up. All the best with that.
Do you mind sharing some information about the garage where you are getting this done?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 16th February 2009, 10:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wow thats a great project...lots of detailed work involved.
Old 16th February 2009, 10:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
More pics
During the restoration.
When it was bought from the Doctor
On its first outdoor trip - the canvas top was yet to be made then.
Good looking Jeep!!!

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th February 2009 at 11:12. Reason: cleanup

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks