Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 10:48   #16
BHPian

Good to see your thread on Team Bhp Ganesh. Now, I am up to date on the progress inspite of not being able to meet up yesterday .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
My Jeep as I bought it, was in better condition than most
, it looks to be in great shape even before the restore - spanking new. The 3B looks cool in blue, but you have a different color in mind 'Black' which will also go well on the 3B.

All the best for your project mate. Any thing you need, let me know, happy to help :-)
Old 16th February 2009, 12:28   #17
BHPian

Cool in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
, it looks to be in great shape even before the restore - spanking new. The 3B looks cool in blue, but you have a different color in mind 'Black' which will also go well on the 3B.
Santosh,
Thanks. The Jeep looked nice since I had just cleaned it with my pressure washer . Even otherwise it was not too bad, I knew what I was really buying was "time" of not having to start from scratch. I deliberated about the color and agree that it was decent, but, my kids had the final say!! Their choice was either Red or Black, and I already had a red one before.

I am interested in performance and looks, so I have a laundry list of items to work on. The trick is to try to do it without having a huge impact on the wallet - which I haven't figured out yet!
Old 16th February 2009, 14:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ganesh Congrats on your CJ3B, its looks great and bet of luck with the restoration.

I have 2 CJ3B's myself, a 1965 LHD WILLYS and a 1985 RHD M&M but have not started restoring them yet.
They are in hibernation and will not be coming out for a long time
Old 16th February 2009, 15:31   #19
BHPian

Hi Ganesh,

Congrats on your Jeep. Very nice looking and clean Jeep.

And All the very best for the restoration.

Tarkesh

P.S. Harjeev, I had PMed you regarding M&M CJ3B info. pls see.
Old 16th February 2009, 15:34   #20
BHPian

Jeep Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Do you mind sharing some information about the garage where you are getting this done?
Deepak,
Would be happy to give you the info. The garage is called Sun Motors located in Basaveshwara Nagar, less than a KM from where I live and work. Sun Motors get all government vehicles including a lot of Jeeps. He does not do Old Jeep restorations day in and day out. So far I am happy with his work. I will let you know after all the work is done. I have been very insistent on what and how he needs to do the job the for me. He has good contacts and was able to get all the parts required for the engine in 3 to 4 days.
Old 16th February 2009, 16:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Deepak,
Would be happy to give you the info. The garage is called Sun Motors located in Basaveshwara Nagar, less than a KM from where I live and work. Sun Motors get all government vehicles including a lot of Jeeps. He does not do Old Jeep restorations day in and day out. So far I am happy with his work. I will let you know after all the work is done. I have been very insistent on what and how he needs to do the job the for me. He has good contacts and was able to get all the parts required for the engine in 3 to 4 days.
Ganesh also do share with us as to how much would you be spending on the jeep. Cost of the jeep, overhauling expenses, etc etc

@Tarkesh
I have just replied to your PM. Sorry for the delay
Old 16th February 2009, 21:24   #22
BHPian

Chassis Painting

Here are pictures of painting the Chassis. The previous owner had painted the whole vehicle blue including the Chassis, which is a little unusual. I consulted with Pavan (The Pavan), Mr. UBS and Mr. UBS's paint consultant Mr. Sandeep Jhah about painting.

The painters had applied primer before thoroughly cleaning the chassis. So I took it upon myself to clean the chassis again with the pressure water wash and had them scrape it again. Then asked them to apply the primer again, the surfacer and then the ASPA glossy black paint on top (4 coats).

I did not apply the 3M anti-rust sealant on the chassis. Painting is one of those topics, where there is a wide variety of experiences and suggestions.

Now, I am getting ready to paint the body & am using the Wurth companies products for preparing the body and Dupont paint. This is the process I have decided to use:
1. Remove the old paint with paint remover, scrape.
2. Burn out the old body filler using a torch gun, scrape.
3. Used a Bosch sander/manual sanding in areas that are tough to remove paint, scrape.
4. Expose the body metal, wash the acid from the paint remover.
5. Wipe all areas with water paper (80 - 100 grade).
6. Use Duco 2K type primer (1/2 primer, 1/2 hardener).
7. Apply Wurth body sealer (in a tube) on all the joints.
8. Use Wurth body filler to level out the dents.
9. Apply Duco 2K primer again to see finish
10. Apply Wurth polyester putty to fill pin holes.
11. Apply Dupont surfacer with colour to highlight dents.
12. Apply 1 coat of Dupont paint.
13. Use Wurth polyeser putty with paint to check surface
14. Use water paper to get smooth finish (320 340 grade)
15. Apply 2 to 3 coats of Dupont paint.

Comments? the floor is yours..
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-pressure-wash.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-surfacer.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-painted.jpg  

Old 17th February 2009, 19:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Ganesh also do share with us as to how much would you be spending on the jeep. Cost of the jeep, overhauling expenses, etc etc
Harjeev,
I always get this feeling that I am spending too much!! Anyways, I paid 1.25 Lakhs for the Jeep. I spent about 10K on the engine rebuild - have heard that this is about right. I have a detailed log of the other stuff I am spending on.. but it is not complete yet. I budgeted 75K for all the things, but I know I am going to overshoot it. Some of it are fancy things that I can avoid, but won't. I can let you know later.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:23   #24
BHPian

Underbody Sealant

Quote:
Now, I am getting ready to paint the body & am using the Wurth companies products for preparing the body and Dupont paint. This is the process I have decided to use:
1. Remove the old paint with paint remover, scrape.
2. Burn out the old body filler using a torch gun, scrape.
3. Used a Bosch sander/manual sanding in areas that are tough to remove paint, scrape.
4. Expose the body metal, wash the acid from the paint remover.
5. Wipe all areas with water paper (80 - 100 grade).
6. Use Duco 2K type primer (1/2 primer, 1/2 hardener).
7. Apply Wurth body sealer (in a tube) on all the joints.
8. Use Wurth body filler to level out the dents.
9. Apply Duco 2K primer again to see finish
10. Apply Wurth polyester putty to fill pin holes.
11. Apply Dupont surfacer with colour to highlight dents.
12. Apply 1 coat of Dupont paint.
13. Use Wurth polyeser putty with paint to check surface
14. Use water paper to get smooth finish (320 340 grade)
15. Apply 2 to 3 coats of Dupont paint.
As I started the underbody sealant application and actually met with Wuerth, I realized that their products are very expensive. Instead of using all their products decided to just go with the Corrosion & Rust protective sealant and the body sealant. It came out well and was easy to apply. They provide their technician free of cost (only tips) to apply it with a special applicator. The guy said 2 cans will be enough, but ended up using 3 cans. It costs 800 Rs. per can including VAT. I plan to use the ASPA black paint to coat over the underbody sealant to get a glossy finish, that makes it easy for cleaning!

I have not applied the body sealer yet, which is in a tube that needs to be applied to all the joints. I think one tube will be sufficient and it also costs about 800 Rs. including VAT.

All the other stuff like the polyester putty, surfacer and paint will be Dupont and I will report on that after the body painting is done. Any suggestions on the body painting are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-fender.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-under-fender1.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-underbody4.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-under-body2.jpg  

Old 21st February 2009, 08:44   #25
BHPian

While it's getting ready for painting

Over the past few weeks, while the paint work was going on the following work has been completed.
1. Engine: Assembly complete and mounted on the chassis. It is ready to be cranked up and tested this weekend.
2. Radiator: Replaced the top and bottoms of the radiator since it had leaks and metal was very thin. Got a radiator shroud (was missing) and a metal radiator fan (getting rid of the plastic one). Per Mr. UBS, this gives you the true "Jeep Sound"!
3. Starter: The armature was a little bent and the bendix has a broken tooth. It has been fixed.
4. Meters: Got all the meters seviced. Infact, I had only 3 meters - the speedometer, amp meter and temp sensor. I got the rpm meter and fuel guage and a 5 meter plate. Also got the dials changed to a classic black with white lettering/markings (had a dull yellow on black before).
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-enginemount.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-enginemount1.jpg  

Old 21st February 2009, 18:31   #26
BANNED

Ganesh,

Great to see the way your jeep is coming by.

My small advice to you. Kindly stick to one brand of paint and preparation materials when you are addressing the body paint job.

It could be better this way.

1) Dupont / 3M Primer
2) Dupont / 3M Bodyfiller
3) Dupont oil putty
4) Dupont 888 Surfacer
5) Dupont tube Patti
6) Dupont Base coat(Matte)
7) Dupont Final paint (Glossy) 3 coats.

Or want a better finish , continue till point 6) and

7) Dupont Final paint 2 coats (Matte finish)
8) Dupont 0077 clear- 2 coats

Its better you take a good painters opinion before you finish your jeep. Its better than a repeat job.
Old 22nd February 2009, 15:25   #27
BHPian

Body Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
My small advice to you. Kindly stick to one brand of paint and preparation materials when you are addressing the body paint job.

Its better you take a good painters opinion before you finish your jeep. Its better than a repeat job.
Pavan,
I have deliberated about this quite a bit, and my mechanic is VERY keen on doing the whole job including painting because it is a matter of pride to him to work on my Jeep. For me, it would have been ideal to get the whole thing done at one time in one place. The other bonus was that this guy is less than a KM from where I live & work so that I could check once or twice a day.

But, after speaking to you earlier and reading your suggestion, I will heed your advice and bring my Jeep over to the garage you suggested. I only want to make sure that your painter has time right now to take this on and complete it in a timely manner. I will call you to discuss this and appreciate your concern and recommendation.

All,
We started up the engine this weekend and it ran OK, except that oil pressure was not building up. We got another "expert" to look at it and it appears that the oil pump is probably the culprit. We are going to replace that and try it again.
Old 22nd February 2009, 16:59   #28
BHPian

Starting the re-built engine!

I was trying to embed this video on my last post, but it did'nt work. I think I figured it out. So, here is the video of starting the rebuit engine. As I mentioned previously, we are not getting the oil pressure and please let me know if you have suggestions.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2009 at 15:20. Reason: Fixing video link
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:47   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Pavan,
I have deliberated about this quite a bit, and my mechanic is VERY keen on doing the whole job including painting because it is a matter of pride to him to work on my Jeep. For me, it would have been ideal to get the whole thing done at one time in one place. The other bonus was that this guy is less than a KM from where I live & work so that I could check once or twice a day.

But, after speaking to you earlier and reading your suggestion, I will heed your advice and bring my Jeep over to the garage you suggested. I only want to make sure that your painter has time right now to take this on and complete it in a timely manner. I will call you to discuss this and appreciate your concern and recommendation.

Ganesh,

The people at your workshop are infact doing a great job. Get the jeep completed where it started, I only felt you need to stick to one brand of materials for painting. No need to re-locate and shuffle the on-going restoration.

About the engine, i think you just check with Santosh, He's spent 2 complete sundays (i.e., complete 24 hrs) hijacking my mechanic. He'll be able to part with some ideas.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:24   #30
BHPian

Dear Ganesh,

great going & good to see a CJ3B coming back to life, i have seen this Jeep earlier & correct me if this has been picked from Coorg,

well hope to see this jeep in action very soon,

want to know from where did you manage the parts for the engine,

That's very true to have the metal fan with four blade giving the real Jeep sound,

I hope you have managed the original exhaust pipe, that the main part which will give you the real note of an hurricane engine

Till then take care

regards
Vinay thomas

------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Ganesh,

The people at your workshop are infact doing a great job. Get the jeep completed where it started, I only felt you need to stick to one brand of materials for painting. No need to re-locate and shuffle the on-going restoration.

About the engine, i think you just check with Santosh, He's spent 2 complete sundays (i.e., complete 24 hrs) hijacking my mechanic. He'll be able to part with some ideas.
Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd February 2009 at 14:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks