Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 12:15   #46
BHPian

Way to go abhlashn - Keep it up ! You just revived some childhood memories
Old 4th June 2008, 14:30   #47

They did sell it to civilians. a hundred of them where sold with the Hino diesel engine.

the last i heard about it was that they were planning to sell a 4liter version to the public (as opposed to the bigger 6l army version). never saw any on the road though i kept dreaming of owning one as a teenager [/quote]
Old 4th June 2008, 16:38   #48
BHPian

Hiii Abhilash, welcome to TBHP. Now we can look forward to a detailed report on the restoration of the Jonga and if possible please start a new Thread. Waiting to see the pics of the Willys also..
Old 4th June 2008, 17:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashn View Post
They did sell it to civilians. a hundred of them where sold with the Hino diesel engine.

the last i heard about it was that they were planning to sell a 4liter version to the public (as opposed to the bigger 6l army version). never saw any on the road though i kept dreaming of owning one as a teenager
[/quote]

never saw any of them. :(

where did you get yours from?
Old 4th June 2008, 18:45   #50
BHPian

6 cyliners montster- Brutal power.
Autocar April featured about Jonga, It said, Army used to be the winner of Rallys those days with Jonga. Once both the forward (yes, only two forward gears) are broken, but one drove (Climbed up) with reverse gear for last few KMs.
Old 5th June 2008, 16:36   #51
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
Once both the forward (yes, only two forward gears) are broken, but one drove (Climbed up) with reverse gear for last few KMs.
??

JONGAs always had a 3-speed (not 2-speed) gearbox and 2-speed transfer case.

If your first gear is broken, so is your reverse gear!
Most gearboxes use the same gearwheels for both first gear and reverse gear.

Just like the JONGAs, Mahindra Jeeps until 1983 also always had a Borg-Warner T-90 3-speed gearbox and Spicer-18 2-speed transfer case.

The Kia KMT-90 4-speed gearbox debuted on the 1983 Mahindra FJ460 (cabover forward control) model. That gearbox was used on all the 1985 and later MM540 Jeeps until the 1997 MM550 with the 5-speed Peugeot BA-10 gearbox.

Ram
Old 6th June 2008, 15:20   #52
BANNED

I own a VFJ Jonga with HINO engine since 1996, picked it up brand new from Jabalpur. The HINO engine is a beast in every form, pulls from 3rd gear which is a miracle of sorts.
Old 6th June 2008, 17:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

@gurkha, is the jonga with a three speeder ox or the optional 5 speeder VFJ was offering, do have any detail on the 5 speed box? like which company what sort of transfer case,etc.
Old 6th June 2008, 17:46   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
I own a VFJ Jonga with HINO engine since 1996, picked it up brand new from Jabalpur. The HINO engine is a beast in every form, pulls from 3rd gear which is a miracle of sorts.

Also Gurkha can you post some pics of ur Jonga.
Old 6th June 2008, 17:56   #55
BHPian

@gorkha.Jonga is a real beast.i remember the time dad was in the army and me use to move around in it quite a lot. and nothing if you have the tank full with some pure army petrol.
Old 7th June 2008, 06:29   #56
BANNED

My Jonga with the HINO engine gives me around 17kmpl even with the a/c on. A real boon, it betters my Gurkha in that aspect as the Gurkha only manages 11kmpl.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-jonga.jpeg  

Gurkha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2008, 11:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

hi gurkha

Awsome machine, can u post in some pics of it in side profile, engine bay interiors etc? What are the problems you had with this vehicle? Whats the top speed u achieved? Hows NVH? What kind of brakes that it has? Mileage figures are awsome....does the 3 rd gear in Jonga has an overdrive?
Old 7th June 2008, 21:34   #58
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
My Jonga with the HINO engine gives me around 17kmpl even with the a/c on. A real boon, it betters my Gurkha in that aspect as the Gurkha only manages 11kmpl.
Very nice, looks very sharp. As you have both the Gurkha and the Jonga which do you rate as more capable offroad?
Old 7th June 2008, 22:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

@ gurkha, Thats owesome!! whats the specs of hino?

Jonga was a very capable vehicle but VFJ hardly did any hard work to improve. They just keep assembling them until uncapable mahindra took over.
If you visit certain sites like CAG (comptroller and auditor General), I had the pages but somehow cannot find it now, and CAG has removed them i guess...

You will be surprised that VFJ never produced the demands of army's 12000 vehicle per year.
Ironical thing about this was that after spending 24 cr. for revamping the production line the other year the production fell short of 2000 vehicle to 8000 instead of 10000. Funny huh.!!

It was only until 1992 they were outsourced to TATA, Leyland and mahindra completely.
Now VFJ produces verhicle by assembling kits provided by Leyland and Tata.

Its a shameful thing. Compare this to USA Govt. where saving each soldiers' life is considered serious business by providng such vehicle as Humvee, OSKOSH etc. Each costing equalavent to a ferrari or aston.
Old 7th June 2008, 22:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

and yeah! I am from darjeeling. there are lot of jongas around outfitted with TATA 1210 and mazda engines, bodies elongated and does the water supply duty.

In siliguri (near darjeeling) there are hell lot of Shaktiman carring sand and bricks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks