Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Would Gypsy 410 narrow track wheel rims fit this Jeep?
Yes, Gypsy rims will fit but they are 15 inches compared to current 16 inches you have.

Quote:
What pcd are these wheels? If I have to change the rims which vehicle can be the donor?
139.7 PCD, if you want to retain 16 inches, go for any old Jeep rims if 15 inches go for gypsy rims.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Ill try and source an Old 410 gypsy rims as well, just in case. Meanwhile, the condition of at least one rim is bad. I am thinking of getting the rims painted. White/Black/Desert Tan?
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ill try and source an Old 410 gypsy rims as well, just in case. Meanwhile, the condition of at least one rim is bad. I am thinking of getting the rims painted. White/Black/Desert Tan?
If you continue with current color, black rims with white color sides would look good.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 4th June 2014, 15:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

The pipes have come and have been joined. The fuel filter assembly has been taken apart and cleaned. FIP has been cleaned and all other sundry pipes and hoses have been procured along with clamps. The assembly shall be done tomorrow and engine oil poured and filter changed. Hopefully the first crank shall be on Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140604_151914622.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140604_151924526.jpg  

wanderernomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 00:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

If you want Jeep rims or Gypsy rims there is still plenty of stuff available in the Mayapuri stockyards.

In fact I was surprised a shop has two of these LWB CJ 500 for sale in new condition !
Old 6th June 2014, 18:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

The engine was started and it purrs. The mechanic has given the all clear and only the starter motor needs servicing.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140606_163019090.jpg  

wanderernomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 18:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engine was started and it purrs. The mechanic has given the all clear and only the starter motor needs servicing.
Engine bay looks clean now. XDP with 3+R gearbox is fun to drive. i had similar setup in my diesel CJ3B which has now been converted to 4+R and broader diffs.
But i still suggest you not to change gearbox to 4+R as its manageable with 3+R as well.
One thing to take care of is cooling system, this engine is prone to overheat if cooling system is not perfect. Please ensure, Radiator is flushed/cleaned, radiator cap is working, and radiator shroud is there and fitted perfectly.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 19:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
suggest you not to change gearbox to 4+R as its manageable with 3+R as well.
One thing to take care of is cooling system, this engine is prone to overheat if cooling system is not perfect. Please ensure, Radiator is flushed/cleaned, radiator cap is working, and radiator shroud is there and fitted perfectly.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Yes, the radiator was cleaned and the circulation was monitored first without the top return hose and then subsequently with the hose in place and seems to be ok.
No I don't plan on changing the GB.
Things noted today are:
1. The exhaust is broken and needs to be repaired or replaced. Though it looks ok, but I think either the packing has gone near the manifold or the pipe has a crack somewhere below the front seating position.
2. As pointed out by you, tomorrow shall ask them to change all oils and lubes and grease the knuckles.

Today, when the clutch was tried it also worked as the jeep moved when the gear was engaged and pedal released. Should I just get it cleaned or replace it totally, the entire clutch?

Also, I am thinking of getting the entire brake pipes, cylinders, shoes changed. Am I correct or for now I just leave them cleaned and serviced?
And please the pros and cons of getting the engine block painted. I am thinking red/orange. Hehe

Last edited by wanderernomad : 6th June 2014 at 19:19.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 20:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today, when the clutch was tried it also worked as the jeep moved when the gear was engaged and pedal released. Should I just get it cleaned or replace it totally, the entire clutch?
check bearings, pressure/clutch plate, if you have opened those parts check them thoroughly and change with genuine parts if required else you will have to pay for labor charge again when you want to replace them

Quote:
Also, I am thinking of getting the entire brake pipes, cylinders, shoes changed. Am I correct or for now I just leave them cleaned and serviced?
And please the pros and cons of getting the engine block painted. I am thinking red/orange. Hehe
if i would have been in your place, i would have checked everything and change whatever is required at this stage even if it means paying few bucks extra.
Refer my CJ3B diesel thread, when i was working on engine, i polished/painted each and every nutbolt

regards,
Shubhendra
Old 7th June 2014, 16:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

The mechanic has taken off the starter motor for servicing. He says the jeep has a dynamo which I should change to an alternator. New Lucas is costing about 3500 while I am being offered an old alternator for about 1200, which is "guaranteed to be working perfectly". What should I do?
Further, instead of repairing the existing wiring the mechanic is suggesting to change it all. New loom lying in a shop is being quoted for 1700 or so. I was thinking of buying appropriate gauge wires, good quality ones, and create a custom wiring loom. While normal and routine can be done by myself over weekends by simply laying the new wires along the older ones, any intricate and complex wiring like to the engine plugs etc can be got done by the mechanic.
Suggestions and advise please?
Also please identify the steering system. Is it the ball and socket one? If yes what is the maximum size of Tyre that can be mounted without the wobbling? As the older army jeeps with ball and socket when mounted with desert tyres began to wobble around 45 kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140607_131044807.jpg  

Last edited by wanderernomad : 7th June 2014 at 16:48.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 11:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

Jeeprs, please advise:

New alternator or a refurbished alternator.
The steering mechanism in the picture above. If its ball and socket, can I still fit larger tyres?

Last edited by wanderernomad : 9th June 2014 at 11:53. Reason: Found the source for trail flag mast
Old 9th June 2014, 13:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jeeprs, please advise:

New alternator or a refurbished alternator.
The steering mechanism in the picture above. If its ball and socket, can I still fit larger tyres?
Alternator choice depends on your budget, if you have budget go for new one.
You can fit larger tyres.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 15:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

Go for a new Lucas alternator for Rs. 3500 it is reasonable. Reburbished ones will keep giving you trouble. I know what quality of spares are available in small town India.

At least you will be trouble free from one important area. Let your batteries charge properly and you get a good turn at cranking every morning.

Replace the heater plugs and wiring as well to absolutely new.
desertfox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 17:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

The roof has been taken off along with the front seats to clean and refit the diesel tank. There is absolutely no rust visible. The pedals have also been taken out for refit. i plan on moving the rear seats slightly forward and then use bull bars to make the profile look like a swb. The remaining rear portion beyond the rear wheels shall be covered with a canvas covering to form sort of a boot. will upload a rough design later today of the proposed modifications.
Old 9th June 2014, 18:04   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The roof has been taken off along with the front seats to clean and refit the diesel tank. There is absolutely no rust visible. The pedals have also been taken out for refit. i plan on moving the rear seats slightly forward and then use bull bars to make the profile look like a swb. The remaining rear portion beyond the rear wheels shall be covered with a canvas covering to form sort of a boot. will upload a rough design later today of the proposed modifications.
Dear wanderernomad - spend your money only on value-add activities. Don't go overboard!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed