Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 12:50   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
The exhaust manifold came loose during the drive which was easily fixed at the destination by tightening the bolts once again.
Dear Wanderernomad - which bolts? Or did the nuts securing the exhaust pipe to the manifold become loose? In the XDP4.90 engine exhaust system integration layout, there is a U clamp support on the RH side of the cylinder block. In most of the vehicles, this is removed by mechanics. Fit it back if it is not there in your vehicle, then the problem will get resolved.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 17:20   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[u][b] - which bolts? Or did the nuts securing the exhaust pipe to the manifold become loose?

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Sir, indeed the nuts securing the exhaust pipe had come loose and the rubber gasket had slipped onto the side. I dont remember any U clamp there. Ill fix it pronto provided somebody here knows what and where to fix. Regards.
Old 1st September 2015, 10:11   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sir, indeed the nuts securing the exhaust pipe had come loose and the rubber gasket had slipped onto the side. I dont remember any U clamp there. Ill fix it pronto provided somebody here knows what and where to fix. Regards.
Dear Wanderernomad - thanks for clarifying, I knew what joint you meant. Now see the exhaust pipe. It moves vertically downwards and then takes a 90 degree turn to go horizontally towards the rear. Isn't it natural that when the engine rocks on the resilient rubber mounts, the pipe will also rotate with the engine? With this amount of cantilever and mass + collar type joint where the actual flange floats on the collar, do you actually think that 2 numbers of M10*1.5 size fasteners will keep the pipe in place? Of course the answer is "no way"! You have to break the cantilever, by providing a support to the vertical leg of the pipe. Obviously, this support must come from the most rigid member, which is the cylinder block. So, now see the cylinder block. There are two tapped holes at the bottom of the block on which a yellow passivated square rod is bolted by using allan head bolts to allow recessed mounting. Then there are two M8*1.25 size tapped holes in this square rod on which two studs are fitted. In these studs, two semi-circular supports are mounted and clamped with two nuts. Therefore, the exhaust pipe has a cranked routing at this point to match the joints. The top joint must be tightened fully after ensuring that there are no residual stresses in the assembly. If done properly, this system will last forever. If mechanics throw out all such important things, how will the vehicle work? Please get this joint introduced if it is not there in your vehicle, mostly it will not be there. As it will be difficult for you to procure the parts, as an ICA (Interim Corrective Action), at least put two lock nuts on the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe joint.

All this is known as "Vehicle Integration". It is common sense! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 23:29   #184
Senior - BHPian

While trying to fit a DIY dash light indicator of my battery light, am unable to locate the original alluminium casing small dash indicator, I inadvertantly shorted the connection. Now the light does not come on when I switch it on. Does this mean the battery is also not charging once the engine is started? All other electricals are working fine though I suspect my fuel needle is not working as I shorted the holder against the body of the fuel gauge.
Old 4th September 2015, 22:00   #185
Senior - BHPian

It was in the evening that it dawned on me that the jeep has fused circuits now. Changed the blown 10A and every thing is rosy again. Also installed the speakers into wooden speaker boxes made at home by hand and also wired the antenna to the uhf set.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 16:35   #186
Senior - BHPian

Today the starter switch died, yet again. What could be a better solution to this? This is a second switch replaced in about one year. Presently I have the combination 6 point switch where you need to twist the key for heater, release, press and turn for starter motor.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 12:01   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. Since mine are already mounted from the lower side, it may be easier to adapt your solution to mine. Will appreciate the pictures when you find time. From the picture of Mahindra Major the setup seems to be the same as mine. Does it have a single speed wiper system?

Rgds.
Dear @ Nomad, sorry for the long delay. managed some snaps today. however the clarity is not very good due to the black paint on the cover over the canopy on the wiper linkage mechanism. It would however explain the setup hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_0022.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_0023.jpg  

ATUL SINGH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 09:56   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
Dear @ Nomad,
Thanks. From the pictures I can see only two Gauges, where are the others? I see you have retained the original key position for ignition. Does it have a built in heater switch or you use a separate heater switch?

Last edited by wanderernomad : 28th September 2015 at 10:05.
Old 28th September 2015, 11:23   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the pictures I can see only two Gauges, where are the others? I see you have retained the original key position for ignition. Does it have a built in heater switch or you use a separate heater switch?
He has Hurricane (petrol) powered CJ3B hence only two meters and no heater

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 11:42   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post

Shubhendra
what fun is a jeep unless your fingers go red holding on to the heater switch. What do you suggest, should I go in for a separate heater switch? My combi ignition switches are going bad within 4/5 months.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 28th September 2015 at 11:46.
Old 28th September 2015, 11:56   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you suggest, should I go in for a separate heater switch? My combi ignition switches are going bad within 4/5 months.
There must be some problem either with wiring or quality of switch. None of my heater (auto or manual) gave way till now.
Why dont you go for auto heater option ?

Shubhendra
Old 28th September 2015, 18:02   #192
Senior - BHPian

Its the quality of switch am sure. The first one wont turn to heater position in about 4 months and now the present one switches on the heater but wont crank. So am using a wire to short the points to crank the engine after the heater. I think I will shift to auto heater, its the system with a timer correct?
Old 28th September 2015, 19:02   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I will shift to auto heater, its the system with a timer correct?
Yes Sir !

Shubhendra
Old 28th September 2015, 23:23   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post

Shubhendra
Thanks @Shubhendra buddy for the clarification about the gauges
Old 28th September 2015, 23:39   #195
BHPian

@Wanderernomad, the wiper is a 2 speed system. Adequate for the speeds that i encounter in the CJ3B, and a vast improvement over the original top hung design
And glimpse of the first branding of my jeep
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-slide1.jpg  

ATUL SINGH is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks