Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2015, 23:24   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer

Looks Nice, is it made of the number plate material?
Meanwhile I shifted to a BOSH heater relay unit which activates the glow plugs for a fixed period of time before ignition. Also got the front wheel brake cylinders opened and cleaned as one of the wheels was slightly jammed. Total cost was as follows:
1. Bosh heater relay 900 rs
2. Ignition switch 400 rs
3. Cylinder WC kit TVS Girling 2@ 50 rs
4. 1/2 ltd DOT 3 brake fluid 150 rs
5. Miss clips and wire 150
6. Labour 200 for wheels job and 400 for ignition works.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 2nd October 2015 at 23:25.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 23:33   #197
BHPian

Yup @wandernomad, it is i believe a mobike numberplate. This is to prevent people from guessing and knowing what legend they are following...
Old 5th October 2015, 10:09   #198
Senior - BHPian

The pictures of the work done that day.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-camerazoom20151002132923073.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-camerazoom20151002132929462.jpg  

Old 1st November 2015, 14:06   #199
Senior - BHPian

Got the number plate changed and also added a winter camo net at the rear. The pics.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-20151031_152342.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-20151031_152353.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-20151031_152408.jpg  

Old 13th November 2015, 23:45   #200
Senior - BHPian

Ok so lost another switch today within the month. Had to hot wire the heater and the starter to start and bring the jeep home. Is there no solution in sight? Shubhendra jee can you source one good quality switch and send it across, I shall be thankful.
Old 14th November 2015, 20:34   #201
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Check the current drawn by the glow plugs.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th November 2015, 20:48   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Check the current drawn by the glow plugs.

Regards
Sutripta
What is the normal draw range? Also since now there is a relay wont that prevent excess draw? As a relay reduces the amperage across the switch, doesn't it.
Old 24th November 2015, 19:24   #203
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep is back in action after a JAY make switch was sent as a GIFT by UBS sir from Kolkatta. I am thinking of buying a few of these, if this holds up, and build a stock.
Any idea as how to mount a couple of metal sand ladders? Should I carry them hidden inside the body tub or carry them on the outside. They are heavy or maybe I shall mount them on a bracket on the trailer. Any suggestions?
Old 24th November 2015, 20:33   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
What is the normal draw range? Also since now there is a relay wont that prevent excess draw? As a relay reduces the amperage across the switch, doesn't it.
Just wire one of those 30-0-30 A meters in series with your switch. That will give you an idea of current drawn, both magnitude and time. If it is excessive, then trace the circuit to find the culprit. For all you know there may be a mild short due to frayed wire.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 11:37   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Wanderernomad - hello after a long time. Use Tata 1210 truck solenoid switch, operated by a Tata 1210 truck starter motor button. These things can take more current than what you will ever throw at them! . Don't connect any ammeter in the starter or heater shunt, it will burn out if not fitted properly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 25th November 2015 at 11:38.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 22:03   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Wanderernomad - hello after a long time. Use Tata 1210 truck solenoid switch, operated by a Tata 1210 truck starter motor button. These things can take more current than what you will ever throw at them! . Don't connect any ammeter in the starter or heater shunt, it will burn out if not fitted properly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, if i understand you correctly, then, I need to replicate the starter system from the 1210 TATA truck. There is a key that is turned and then a push starter switch cranks the engine, correct? I wire the ON to the heater and then use the push switch to start?

Regards.
Old 26th November 2015, 10:21   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, if I understand you correctly, then I need to replicate the starter system from the 1210 TATA truck. There is a key that is turned and then a push starter switch cranks the engine, correct? I wire the ON to the heater and then use the push switch to start? Regards.
Dear Wanderernomad - correct in principle, except that the DI engine in the Tata truck does not require a heater. You use the push start button of the Tata truck which can take the heavy current of the starter motor to operate the heater so reliability will be ensured because heater will never require starter current. Then start the engine by using normal Lucas TVS solenoid system which is also used in the Tata truck, or you can retain the production system. Once the heater plugs have glowed sufficiently, the engine will start. There is no need to spend fancy money on fancy relays and electronics, finally you want 12v at the heater plugs for X seconds and 12v at the starter motor in sequence, one after the other. X was initially 25 seconds in 1985 for the XDP4.90 engine, which was later reduced to 7 seconds with quick acting heater plugs. A good electrician will understand what I am mentioning. That's all, keep things simple! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 22:53   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Wanderernomad - correct in principle, except that the DI engine in the Tata truck does not require a heater. You use the push start button of the Tata truck which can take the heavy current of the starter motor to operate the heater so reliability will be ensured because heater will never require starter current. Then start the engine by using normal Lucas TVS solenoid system which is also used in the Tata truck, or you can retain the production system. Once the heater plugs have glowed sufficiently, the engine will start. There is no need to spend fancy money on fancy relays and electronics, finally you want 12v at the heater plugs for X seconds and 12v at the starter motor in sequence, one after the other. X was initially 25 seconds in 1985 for the XDP4.90 engine, which was later reduced to 7 seconds with quick acting heater plugs. A good electrician will understand what I am mentioning. That's all, keep things simple! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Ahh the complexity of simplicity. Ok then as per my understanding I isolate the heater wire from the existing switch and route it to the push switch of the truck. I keep the switch pressed till the heater plugs glow and then use the existing switch to crank. Its this simple right, or am I missing something in between?
Old 27th November 2015, 11:12   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ahh the complexity of simplicity. Ok then as per my understanding I isolate the heater wire from the existing switch and route it to the push switch of the truck. I keep the switch pressed till the heater plugs glow and then use the existing switch to crank. Its this simple right, or am I missing something in between?
Yes that is the sequence. In older designs there was a separate push button for the glow plug. The time required was proportionate to ambient temperature.
Old 28th November 2015, 10:32   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, the complexity of simplicity. OK, then as per my understanding, I isolate the heater wire from the existing switch and route it to the push switch of the truck. I keep the switch pressed till the heater plugs glow and then use the existing switch to crank. It's this simple right, or am I missing something in between?
Dear Wanderernomad - yes, it is indeed this simple! I have also told you the heating time 25 seconds and 7 seconds, what more do you want? Use this information and merrily use the vehicle, or go and buy fancy electronics and continue this discussion forever, "tathastu"! . The only thing that you must be careful about is that you choose the correct push button of the Tata truck, which is designed to continuously handle the heavy current that the glow plugs require. You can use the normal ignition switch to operate the starter motor because it does not need the heavy current, which flows through the starter solenoid switch in any case!

By the way, I like the phrase "Complexity of Simplicity"! In my way of thinking and working, it is "Simplicity of Simplicity"! The Japanese understand it and implement it, it works and delivers the desired result. Parkinson's third law states: "Expansion means Complexity and Complexity Leads to Decay". Perfect!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks