Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2015, 21:49   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer

What is the alternative to the existing wiper system. Today while enjoying the rains the wiper arms simple left the glass and fell to each side after working for a few minutes. Even if I pulled them back onto the glass they fall back after a single swipe. Can this be switched to a more reliable system or how do I correct the existing setup.
Old 9th August 2015, 01:26   #167
BHPian

Dear @Nomad, nice restoration job. I faced the same problem with top mounted independent electrical wiper motors since i wanted to retain as much of the original as possible. Realised that safety is paramount and originality comes second . Recently got it changed to a Mahindra Major derived system which is mounted on the lower side of the windshield from the inside. Has worked wonders in the heavy Delhi rains for the last 2-3 weeks. Will try to click and send snaps of it tomorrow morning. The conversion was done by Classic Point/ Noida.

Rgds,
atul
ATUL SINGH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 14:02   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
Dear @Nomad, nice restoration job. Will try to click and send snaps of it tomorrow morning.
Rgds,
atul
Thank you for the kind words. Since mine are already mounted from the lower side, it may be easier to adapt your solution to mine. Will appreciate the pictures when you find time. From the picture of Mahindra Major the setup seems to be the same as mine. Does it have a single speed wiper system?

Rgds.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 11th August 2015 at 14:22.
Old 11th August 2015, 20:15   #169
Senior - BHPian

Wipers in a Jeep! You are supposed to a) stick your head out, or b) tilt the windscreen out of the way.

The Jeep in which I learnt driving had an entirely for show hand operated wiper on the passenger side. (Which also happened to be the right hand side!)

On a more serious note, could you post a video of what exactly is happening in your case.

Always felt that the Jeep, with its gunslit aspect ratio windscreen needed three wipers to do a proper job.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 11th August 2015 at 20:16.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 14:12   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post

On a more serious note, could you post a video of what exactly is happening in your case.

Regards
Sutripta
Here it is. I have tried to tighten the screws, literally, and things are somewhat in control.
Old 17th August 2015, 16:48   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Here it is. I have tried to tighten the screws, literally, and things are somewhat in control.
Dear Wanderernomad - OK, here goes! .

Please post a close-up picture of the wiper arm fulcrum. Does the wiper arm have a screw to be tightened with the threads inside a small rectangular block placed inside the wiper arm? If yes, this is called "knurled driver". It has a taper at one side and "knurlings" at the other side. These knurlings wear out so the arm slips. You just need to replace the knurled drivers. I know that they are not easily available, but try nevertheless. If you don't get new ones, put small metallic packings at the taper face, the taper is given to produce an interference and lock the arms in place as the screws are tightened. This is the original Lucas England design which has had this issue for donkeys' years, but this is not a design issue, this is a manufacturing issue due to poor quality of the sintered material used by the vendors to make the knurled drivers.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 17:33   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
.. This is the original Lucas England design which has had this issue for donkeys' years, but [u]this is not a design issue, this is a manufacturing issue due to poor quality of the sintered material used by the vendors to make the knurled drivers...
Sir, isn't the newer design (tightening the nut), which is more reliable, (because I guess its more easy to manufacture?) a better solution for wandernomad?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 19:14   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Wanderernomad - OK, here goes! .

Please post a close-up picture of the wiper arm fulcrum. Does the wiper arm have a screw to be tightened with the threads inside a small rectangular block placed inside the wiper arm? If yes, this is called "knurled driver". It has a taper at one side and "knurlings" at the other side. These knurlings wear out so the arm slips. You just need to replace the knurled drivers. I know that they are not easily available, but try nevertheless. If you don't get new ones, put small metallic packings at the taper face, the taper is given to produce an interference and lock the arms in place as the screws are tightened. This is the original Lucas England design which has had this issue for donkeys' years, but this is not a design issue, this is a manufacturing issue due to poor quality of the sintered material used by the vendors to make the knurled drivers.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Sir, yes it has knurled drivers. I had changed the wiper arms completely so they have new knurlings and screws. However, the workshop lost one of the new wiper arms so presently am running one new and one old arm. I have tightened the screws as I could make the arm slipping while making the video. They are limiting to a semi arc on the windshield as of now.

By the way the jeep got its name today. Ronin. Had it stickered on the driver side windshield. Also got a few more stickers done today, keeping in line with the Going Overboard theme, I know, sir, I know but cannot control.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 21:34   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
https://Youtu.be/WIr-dwy8o0U
In addition to what BD has said, I feel previous misfitment has damaged the knurling on the wheelbox shaft. Visually inspect it.

Onr other thing needs to be checked: Essentially because both arms are showing similar behavior. You have to make sure that the slippage is not elsewhere, esp not in the motor crank assembly. Check torque to shaft by trying to hold the knurled shaft stationary. (Do not damage the knurling).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Sir, isn't the newer design (tightening the nut), which is more reliable, (because I guess its more easy to manufacture?) a better solution for wandernomad?
The arrangement with the grubscrew? IMHO horrible.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th August 2015, 10:14   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
You have to make sure that the slippage is not elsewhere, especially not in the motor crank assembly. The arrangement with the grubscrew? IMHO horrible. Regards Sutripta
Dear Sutripta - please see the design. There is a flexible wire on which a coil is wound. The interference of the wheel box gears in radial direction will just not permit slippage, unless the wheel box back plate screws are loose or have fallen off, which is possible because the grease monkeys who work on cars usually don't care to tighten them fully as you got to bend down at a very odd angle to do it. . Also, I have used the knurled driver arrangement for years in my fiats including my rally car (MMY43) and I have never faced any issue whatsoever, even during full rain in full night rallying. Its just bad manufacturing quality, that's all.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 11:30   #176
Senior - BHPian

The stickers as put. The one on the foot ventilators is same on both the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img20150818wa0002.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img20150818wa0003.jpg  

Old 18th August 2015, 16:56   #177
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from a drive in the rain, it was a steady drizzle and the wipers worked ok. Though a lot is left to be desired as far as removing the volume of water is concerned but its acceptable.
Old 18th August 2015, 20:36   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I have used the knurled driver arrangement for years in my fiats including my rally car (MMY43) and I have never faced any issue whatsoever, even during full rain in full night rallying. Its just bad manufacturing quality, that's all.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I don't think we are talking of the same thing.

The system in which a metal block (actually a wedge) with one side shaped to mate against the knurled shaft end, and is jammed against the shaft end by wedge action, is perfectly ok, if a bit finicky. Not the best of designs (if the wiper arm starts slipping, it chews up both the block and the shaft end, and replacement is the only answer then) but I don't have a problem with it.

What I'm talking about is a juggad where a socket/ sleeve is put over the original knurled shaft end, tightened to it with grub screw, and the wiper attached to the socket/ sleeve extention. (Much like the sockets for spark plugs.) Used when people did not want to change the wiper wheelbox because the knurling had been damaged. I maintain it's an abomination, though others might celebrate the juggadry.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 20th August 2015, 09:31   #179
Senior - BHPian

Added a couple of functional mods like a pair of small nets on the windshield bracket to hold a few small things. A cup holder to keep a water bottle, cold drink etc and a canvas bottle holder to hold larger bottles. Here are the pictures. The cup holder has merely been kept in between the windshield bracket and the cowl before snapping the bracket shut. The rubber holds the holder perfectly tight.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-camerazoom20150819200147046.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-camerazoom20150819200138950.jpg  

Old 31st August 2015, 11:11   #180
Senior - BHPian

Over the weekend went for a 200 km round trip in the rain. The wipers worked perfectly well and the vehicle performed as expected. But the engine drone tires you out soon and the only remedy is perhaps taking a short tea/coffee break every hour. The exhaust manifold came loose during the drive which was easily fixed at the destination by tightening the bolts once again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks