Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2008, 10:59   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Hi Headers, something going on in my mind...

1. My Jeep is recently built, complete repairing of radiator was being done, also the pump, new piston rings and all.
2. After rebuilt it, I have only covered 3000 Km.
3. I never put coolent, do you think it will effect.
4. I will however work on the above 3 points one by one but do not you think that the smallar radiator of MM540 is also a cause.

Thank you.

Hi DesertKing,

I think your engine should be ok for the sand sailing activity. However I know you have got the differntial ratios converted for high way drive, the power is not sufficient in the offroad secnario. To overcome with this issue, the only way is to have a Overdrive so you can engage the overdrive in Highway and dis engage it in offroad to get full power of your jeep.

Secondly use 4core MM550 radiators which are plenty available from Mayapuri if used ones. Otherwise go for brand new only for 12K budget.

You can try running the jeep in 4WD low 2nd gear without loosing the momentum but need not rush just push gently.

and try flatned tyres to 18psi level. But keep a 12volt 250psi inflator handy if you wanted to regain the lost pressure in your tyres.
Old 1st December 2008, 13:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post

I think your engine should be ok for the sand sailing activity.
Sand is tougher than hard ground or incline my friend. The vehicle is strained continuously!

Quote:
However I know you have got the differntial ratios converted for high way drive, the power is not sufficient in the offroad secnario.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Shockked.gif

How siva, i'm zapped! How do you know his differential ratios. Or are you trying to say that his vehicle does not have enough power offroad!

Quote:
To overcome with this issue, the only way is to have a Overdrive so you can engage the overdrive in Highway and dis engage it in offroad to get full power of your jeep.

Quote:
Secondly use 4core MM550 radiators which are plenty available from Mayapuri if used ones. Otherwise go for brand new only for 12K budget.
he just got his radiator serviced

Quote:
You can try running the jeep in 4WD low 2nd gear without loosing the momentum but need not rush just push gently.

and try flatned tyres to 18psi level. But keep a 12volt 250psi inflator handy if you wanted to regain the lost pressure in your tyres.
BOSS, his videos show very clearly how he manages the dunes. Should we educate him further.

Or are you trying to show off your off road skills here.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:37   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On roads, it is not an issue, and the heating meter is upto maximum 50%. But to climb a sand dune (of very very soft sand) you have to use the 1st or the 2nd gear and the maximum accelator. Here just with in 2 minutes, you will see the meter showing around 90% to 95% from the red line. Is it normal, it should not be for sure.

The worst thing is that I always have to do off road all alone so actually niether I how the other vehicle react, nor any expertise advice.
Meaning, it is overheating when stressed. Get yourself a king-size radiator. If that doesn't help, add an electric fan. Make sure you retain the thermostat valve else your Jeep will run too cold.
Old 2nd December 2008, 03:19   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Make sure you retain the thermostat valve else your Jeep will run too cold.
I have learned a lot from Team-BHP, infect I am now addicted to it and start a day without my daily dose.

It is new to learn that even Mahindra engines comes with Thermostate valve. I suppose, these valve are electronically controlled?? Are they located on the pipe from where the water is coming out from the engine (do not know the right term/name)?? What if the Thermostate valves are Kaput, for sure the vehicle will be overheated a lot.

So I will now change opt the MM550's radiator. Can I fit any other radiator too as MM550 radiator are not very easily available in my town.
Old 2nd December 2008, 07:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What if the Thermostate valves are Kaput, for sure the vehicle will be overheated a lot.
Engine will not overheat if the thermostat is open as it allows for continuous circulation of the water channels. Thermostat is a device that helps warm up a cold engine faster and opens the water channels based on the temperature of the engine.

There are many vehicles that run without a thermostat but they will be not as FE as the ones with the thermostat.
Old 2nd December 2008, 07:44   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sand is tougher than hard ground or incline my friend. The vehicle is strained continuously!

How siva, i'm zapped! How do you know his differential ratios. Or are you trying to say that his vehicle does not have enough power offroad!

BOSS, his videos show very clearly how he manages the dunes. Should we educate him further.

Or are you trying to show off your off road skills here.
Conflict! Headers cool down. I'm no show off person. If my post makes you feel like that here is my explanation.

Coming to the matter, I know Naren before coming to TBHP. He has converted his Jeep's rear ratio to 13/46 or the ones in Mahindra Scorpio. (I request DesertKing to confirm it.), hence my post saying "However I know you have got the differential ratios converted for high way drive, the power is not sufficient in the off-road scenario."

In addition to that his jeep was also able to do sand offroad in 40 degree incline without 4WD, again it is his own input to me.

Vehicle is strained continuously. DesertKing’s engine is much tarquier than my Classic’s Peugeot XDP 4.99 2112CC hence I guessed there couldn’t be an issue as he is having a Peugeot XD3P with higher power. I know he serviced his radiators, But my suggestion to him is to go for the 4core the MM550 type as the sand offroad would have really caused the strained engine go over heat in the real desert.

Please keep reading my Jeeping exercise thread for my first off-roading experience; you will know how much pain I had getting an offroad expert to teach me when I wanted to learn at first time. Not everyone starts offroading at the same time, I know JT Chennai was very active in the initial days because every one was newbies and the thrust to learn new thing was very high. But when I started I was 3 years behind and no one was ready to come for offroad and I was waiting 3-4 months before my first off-road with JT after building my jeep. Hence the forums and internet pages are the only first hand information providers for any such acts. So while talking about sand off-road and over heat issues on the same scenario, sharing the maximum information on the forum makes the fellow first timers to get some valuable input. Thats how I learned.

If the info is known to you before, I think you can post what additionally you think that cause may be instead of commenting me as show off.

Last edited by trammway : 2nd December 2008 at 07:54.
Old 2nd December 2008, 07:56   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is new to learn that even Mahindra engines comes with Thermostate valve. I suppose, these valve are electronically controlled?? Are they located on the pipe from where the water is coming out from the engine (do not know the right term/name)?? What if the Thermostate valves are Kaput, for sure the vehicle will be overheated a lot.
Thermostat stops the water from circulating around the engine until the engine attains certain temperature that is optimal for the engine to operate. After reaching that temperature, the thermostat opens the valve and water starts circulating and maintains the engine temperature.

In the absence of a thermostat, the radiator starts cooling the engine from the begining and engine takes more time to reach optimal temp. In hotter climates, mechanics often remove the thermostat. However, in colder climates the thermostat is very important.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd December 2008 at 08:01.
Old 2nd December 2008, 09:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

Just in this connection would like to know, is there any drop in fuel efficiency on using the bigger radiator in 540's? And if so, approx how much?
Old 2nd December 2008, 09:58   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Just in this connection would like to know, is there any drop in fuel efficiency on using the bigger radiator in 540's? And if so, approx how much?

Nope, not at all. The radiator is used for keeping the water temperature low by cooling down the water through the coil (core), the thermostat decides the water circulation inside the engine from the radiator.

A bigger radiator means the more cooler water, hence faster to make the engine temperature in control.
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:22   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In hotter climates, mechanics often remove the thermostat. However, in colder climates the thermostat is very important.
I have seen my machanic removing it from the Toyota 3C engine.

However some of my question remained unanswered...
1. The thermostat controler is controled by the electric machanism.
2. How to check if this is correctely working or not. I bought a old engine so I am bit more concerned.

Since I will be taking my vehicle on Himalaya next year, I want to ensure that thermostat cut-off switch is working fine.

Headers and Trammway, we all are having some common interest and we are here on team-BHP to share our views/experience/stupid questions. We must avoid the personal comments and respect every individual's thought.

I am starting a new thread within this week to discuss about my vehicle as I have a hell lot many things to discuss and understand from you guys.

Trammaway, I wish to do a 40% incline on sand dunes which I guess impossible with MM550. I guess I will be needing a Hammer or perhaps Mahindra Axe will be able to do it. You really need a lot of power on even 10% or 20% incline. I will post more video to expain the drive on sand dunes. Many people think, it is so easy but it is not all that easy as it seems. Offcourse I have done 40% incline on the solid surface and it was quite fun as it was quite easy.

Last edited by DesertKing : 2nd December 2008 at 10:40.
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:08   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen my machanic removing it from the Toyota 3C engine.

However some of my question remained unanswered...
1. The thermostat controler is controled by the electric machanism.
2. How to check if this is correctely working or not. I bought a old engine so I am bit more concerned.

Since I will be taking my vehicle on Himalaya next year, I want to ensure that thermostat cut-off switch is working fine.
DesertKing,

The thermostat is not electronic, its a mechanical expansion valve. The thermostat almost stops water circulation in a cold engine to help it warm
up to normal operating temperature quickly. In the morning before starting your jeep, open the radiator cap and then start
your engine. If the thermostat is working ok, normally at startup the coolant should be still. Then as the engine warms up, the thermostat
starts opening slowly and you would see coolant movement. Thermostat is an inexpensive part and it should be replaced if the condition of the old one
is suspect.

Most mechanics tend to remove the thermostat in old vehicles, where the
cooling system's efficiency goes down as a easy way to control overheating
as the water then circulates freely. However, its just a quickfix and the complete
cooling system (radiator, radiator cap, thermostat valve, cooling fan,
thermostat valve, water pump and hose pipes) should be inspected and parts repaired/replaced as required.

Cheers
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am starting a new thread within this week to discuss about my vehicle as I have a hell lot many things to discuss and understand from you guys.
Yup, cos this is GoSlow's Gypsy diesel conversion thread and we've all hijacked it- Sorry GoSlow
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:12   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So I will now change opt the MM550's radiator. Can I fit any other radiator too as MM550 radiator are not very easily available in my town.
Get a radiator custom built from the best in the business. I am currently running a radiator that was made for my 2.1 XDP and is efficient enough. However, its getting old and I plan to revisit Lawrence radiators on a bank holiday (or similar) and get a new radiator installed. Why? Because on a recent offroad climb, my XD3P started going toward the red. It NEVER overheats otherwise, not even in bumper-to-bumper traffic for 2 hours with the air-con on full blast, but on a steep incline in 2nd Low for 5 minutes (and the engine revving high), I could see the temp gauge climbing like a clock. Don't know if the engine still needs to further wear in, or I need a bigger radiator / electric fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
There are many vehicles that run without a thermostat but they will be not as FE as the ones with the thermostat.
Very true. I am not sure why my valve was deactivated at the customary 1,000 kms oil-change. The Jeep takes SO LONG to heat up. I have asked them to reinstate at the next visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In hotter climates, mechanics often remove the thermostat. However, in colder climates the thermostat is very important.
Nope, as per my previous post, even in hotter climates, the thermostat is important. My Jeep is taking very long (about 5 kms) to reach optimum temperature. And I have to maintain really low rpms until it reaches 80C.
Old 2nd December 2008, 17:48   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
The Nissan CD17 engine in my gypsy is not noisy at all. Compared to some of the 550s that were that were there at the time of the OTR my vehicle still passed of as a petrol!
I totally agree with that. I had that same engine in my 118 NE mated to the stock gear box. The engine was pretty silent & quite powerful too with an unbelievable mileage (18kmpl in city). If only the 118 had a 5 speed gearbox, i would have got more.
Old 15th December 2008, 14:48   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@ Goslow: Could you please give me the contact details of your mechanic so. Also does he do work on MM550's as well or only on maruti gypsys?
Hi Harjeev. Hope you enjoyed the 14 Dec OTR. Did you speak to my mechanic? Torquative is after him as well. If you want we can mmet up and go to him next weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks