Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 08:30   #121
BHPian

I did the rounds of these army auctions in Pune and Secunderabad back when i was huntin around for a gypsy 4 years back. But all the ones i saw were in pretty bad condition: they were overpriced even at the 1l price range.

One of the things the army guys did was to take out parts from vehicles destined for the auction lot for their spares pool and put in older parts. You cant blame these fellows who are only keeping the army interest in mind.

The best maal masala (the vehicles used to ferry the commandant and his family etc) are already booked out by army people for themselves and never reach the auction lot.

And seedy "dealers" have come into the business sensing a business opportunity which has only made this whole process less appealing.

In the end i went out and booked one brand new from maruti: extra money yes but piece of mind and a vehicle that will last me the next 15+ years with a little care.

As far as i am aware, dealers are not to be allowed in these auctions. Unnofficially they may be participating, but it isnt legal. On paper atleast, ownership of army vehicles are supposed to pass directly from the vehicle depot to the final owner. And the ownership is to be tracked by the military depot. This is to prevent an army vehicle from being misused.

The dealer business which happens is plain illegal.

Last edited by COUGAR : 1st July 2009 at 08:36.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:16   #122
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
In the end i went out and booked one brand new from maruti: extra money yes but piece of mind and a vehicle that will last me the next 15+ years with a little care.
Can never go wrong with a brand new Maruti Gypsy! Smart move.
Old 1st July 2009, 14:27   #123
Senior - BHPian

Well one is always given a chance to inspect the vehicles before bidding. A bid can always be made based on the condition of the vehicle.

Another reason why most of us get put-off is the external condition of the vehicles which is bad because the vehicles are parked for months. What matters more is the mechanical condition of the vehicles.

Well similarly the condition i got my gypsy in was bad externally and amazing mechanically. Here you go - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ter-gypsy.html
Old 1st July 2009, 14:51   #124
Senior - BHPian

Frankly speaking buying a gypsy from army auction is not a good deal, you buy the car, register it, get it running and spend on cosmetic.. in the same cost you get a used gypsy.. you save your time from running here and there to get your work done.
Old 1st July 2009, 14:58   #125
Senior - BHPian

Well yes if one dosent have the time and patience to get the work done then i guess you are right. But the amount of learning once gets in doing up the vehicle himself is unmatched.

Well its like saying - buying a brand new car is better than buying a second-hand one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
Frankly speaking buying a gypsy from army auction is not a good deal, you buy the car, register it, get it running and spend on cosmetic.. in the same cost you get a used gypsy.. you save your time from running here and there to get your work done.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 1st July 2009 at 15:00.
Old 1st July 2009, 17:47   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Well yes if one dosent have the time and patience to get the work done then i guess you are right. But the amount of learning once gets in doing up the vehicle himself is unmatched.

Well its like saying - buying a brand new car is better than buying a second-hand one.
On the topic between a IInd hand vehicle compared to buying and restoration of an Army Disposal I wiill like to say that

If the vehicle is bought from the second hand market then still one would have to spend some amount of time and money in getting it up to shape. I agree that this time would be considerably less that what would be needed on an Army disposal, but

if all other aspects are the same and the question is only on the amount of time saved, in my opinion a buyer will/ should be more confident with the mechanical aspects of the vehicle if he/ she has got all the work done under their supervision and they will know what exactly has gone into the restoration of their vehicle.

whereas army disposals or IInd hand whatever the case may be it is definitely the way it has been restored and repaired is what counts in the end.
I have seen many vehicles from both categories functioning quite well and pretty bad too. A good restoration is very important.
Old 18th July 2009, 20:15   #127
BANNED

Quote:

agreed But we dont see much (very rare) gypsy coming up for sale in chennai in papers or online classifieds.so the better option is army.

But definitely it take lot of time and energy to procure one

In Tbhp the best gypsy (condition while buying) was KSM-vtech's .

BTW is there any body from chennai who have the experience of buying a exarmy gypsy from chennai?

Last edited by joshguy : 18th July 2009 at 20:17.
Old 18th July 2009, 20:34   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
agreed But we dont see much (very rare) gypsy coming up for sale in chennai in papers or online classifieds.so the better option is army.

BTW is there any body from chennai who have the experience of buying a exarmy gypsy from chennai?
There is an army auction scheduled in chennai on 27th , 28th July ncase u r interested and there r some MG 410's on sale. You can go after them incase u r interested. Call me on 09960332228 and i'll share with you whatever I have learned from my experience . My restoration thread is here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...storation.html
Old 6th August 2009, 01:56   #129
BHPian

Amry Auction in Pune - 13 August - 8 MM550XD, 2 Gypsies and 3 Jongas.
Check "Western regional office", MSTC/WRO/Tiger812 Central AFV Depot/10/Kirkee..... on Forthcoming_e_Auctions_For_All_regions_

Dont ask me more details, just stumbled upon this link when I was reading through this thread. Sorry to increase the competition, but we'd rather have our T-Bhp brothers laying their hands on these vehicles. Best of Luck!!!
Old 6th August 2009, 03:04   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrainsnooper View Post
Amry Auction in Pune - 13 August - 8 MM550XD, 2 Gypsies and 3 Jongas.
Check "Western regional office", MSTC/WRO/Tiger812 Central AFV Depot/10/Kirkee..... on Forthcoming_e_Auctions_For_All_regions_

Dont ask me more details, just stumbled upon this link when I was reading through this thread. Sorry to increase the competition, but we'd rather have our T-Bhp brothers laying their hands on these vehicles. Best of Luck!!!
Absolutely.
I have confirmed info that lot number 27 has good mm550s and some gypsy lots are also in a similar condition like the vehicles I picked up.

regards,
Abheek
Old 6th August 2009, 20:30   #131
BANNED

how much will the be the approximate cost of the vehicle? is it only by lot? do we need to buy the entire lot and not one single gypsy?
Old 6th August 2009, 23:59   #132
Senior - BHPian

The vehicles are sold in lots so you have to buy the whole lot. If you can rope a few friends together then it can be worth while.
Old 7th August 2009, 03:19   #133
BHPian

Quote:
how much will the be the approximate cost of the vehicle? is it only by lot? do we need to buy the entire lot and not one single gypsy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
The vehicles are sold in lots so you have to buy the whole lot. If you can rope a few friends together then it can be worth while.
I know a couple of friends who are bidding for the lots on 13th august in pune.
Call me if you want to join in.

regards,
Abheek
Old 8th August 2009, 17:08   #134
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
I know a couple of friends who are bidding for the lots on 13th august in pune.
Call me if you want to join in.

regards,
Abheek

Hi Abheek,

I live in chennai ,will it not be dificult to register the jeep which is bought in pune?
Old 9th August 2009, 16:42   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Abheek,

I live in chennai ,will it not be dificult to register the jeep which is bought in pune?
It will be difficult yes but not impossible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks