Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 11:14   #286
Senior - BHPian

thats a nice rollcage tejas!!!
I would have loved to make it to EXAMMS but had some family commitments!!!

Anyways now that EXAMMS is over can we please have more details of the rollcage along with more pics!!
Old 7th July 2010, 11:21   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
thats a nice rollcage tejas!!!
I would have loved to make it to EXAMMS but had some family commitments!!!

Anyways now that EXAMMS is over can we please have more details of the rollcage along with more pics!!
Hi Harjeev,

My car is back at Allan's garage. Work was still pending. I'm visiting there over the weekend. Will post pics then and give more details.

In the meanwhile, a few pics from the EXAMM / AKC thread:
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_4924.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_4930.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-tk.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_52371.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_5214.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-72.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-p6270385.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-p6270390.jpg  

Old 7th July 2010, 11:47   #288
AVR
BHPian

Hey Tejas,

Would it be possible to post some pics of the longer shackles on your classic? Wanted to look at them more closely as I couldn't have a good look at it in person.

Thanks,
Adi
Old 7th July 2010, 11:49   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Hi Harjeev,

My car is back at Allan's garage. Work was still pending. I'm visiting there over the weekend. Will post pics then and give more details.

In the meanwhile, a few pics from the EXAMM / AKC thread:
Tejas@perioimpl, Doc.. what a transformation!! As mentioned on the phone initially I could not make out your classsic from EXAMM/AKC pics...
I like all the mods you have done. .The rollcage, tyres, lifting, dashboard... Your classic has transformed to an extreme offroader now.

Allan has done a great job.
Old 8th July 2010, 10:01   #290
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great looking Jeep, Tejas. I'm seeing pictures of your Classic after a long time and she has really transformed from a stock Mahindra into a purposeful 4x4. Good taste. I especially like the design of the roll cage.

1. Hows the performance on the wider rubber? Pros & cons?

2. Now that you've taken off the bull bar, time to place the auxillary lights (more conventionally) on the bumper?
Old 8th July 2010, 11:18   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Hey Tejas,

Would it be possible to post some pics of the longer shackles on your classic?
Will do that over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
I like all the mods you have done. .The rollcage, tyres, lifting, dashboard... Your classic has transformed to an extreme offroader now.

Allan has done a great job.
Thanks. Still more work getting done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great looking Jeep, Tejas. I'm seeing pictures of your Classic after a long time and she has really transformed from a stock Mahindra into a purposeful 4x4. Good taste. I especially like the design of the roll cage.

1. Hows the performance on the wider rubber? Pros & cons?

2. Now that you've taken off the bull bar, time to place the auxillary lights (more conventionally) on the bumper?
Thanks.

1. Wider rubber helps a lot in slush. Trust me. And taller tyres are a boon. I was told to change the dif to 5.38 from the original 4.88. However, i frankly did not find any difference in performance nor did i feel there was a drop of power. More testing required though. Ofcourse i have also installed a bolero power steering. It does get time getting used to, however, it definitely helps in offroading especially while negotiating tight spots. As of now, no cons. Yes, it feels scary on tilts because of the lifted body to accommodate the bigger tyre articulation. I'm considering changing the axles to mm550 ones which are wider. Will give more stability and a better stance.

2. Well, i still like the bull bar and want to keep it. However, allan refuses to put it on. He wants to make a custom bumper and is going to send me a design. So, if i do go with that, then yes, the lights will be positioned more conventionally.

Another thing i've noticed is that performance has improved after the snorkel has been put. The diesel clatter has gone down and the engine seems smoother. Yes, the suction sound of the snorkel is there (i like it, but the passenger gets annoyed after a while).

One of these days i want to drive your classic with the XD3P to see how much increase in power there is from the regular XDP.
Old 8th July 2010, 11:39   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Wider rubber helps a lot in slush. Trust me. And taller tyres are a boon. I was told to change the dif to 5.38 from the original 4.88. However, i frankly did not find any difference in performance nor did i feel there was a drop of power. More testing required though. Ofcourse i have also installed a bolero power steering. It does get time getting used to, however, it definitely helps in offroading especially while negotiating tight spots. As of now, no cons. Yes, it feels scary on tilts because of the lifted body to accommodate the bigger tyre articulation. I'm considering changing the axles to mm550 ones which are wider. Will give more stability and a better stance.

Another thing i've noticed is that performance has improved after the snorkel has been put. The diesel clatter has gone down and the engine seems smoother. Yes, the suction sound of the snorkel is there (i like it, but the passenger gets annoyed after a while).

One of these days i want to drive your classic with the XD3P to see how much increase in power there is from the regular XDP.
What axles are you running now? I guess the Classic's came with 51 track axles - the same as the MM540? So you plan to move up to 53 track axles. But your regular non OKBJ steering mechanism might not hold up to the bigger axles. Will you shift to an OKBJ set-up for this? But that will require some work on the chassis.

Re: Snorkel: What Air filter are you running? Normal Oil Bath type or......?

If you drive an XD3P jeep, you are going to throw out the XDP. Trust me.

Last edited by Red Liner : 8th July 2010 at 11:42.
Old 8th July 2010, 11:47   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What axles are you running now? I guess the Classic's came with 51 track axles - the same as the MM540? So you plan to move up to 53 track axles. But your regular non OKBJ steering mechanism might not hold up to the bigger axles. Will you shift to an OKBJ set-up for this? But that will require some work on the chassis.
I thought the bolero PS would hold up. I guess, i'll need to check on that now.

Quote:
Re: Snorkel: What Air filter are you running? Normal Oil Bath type or......?
Paper element of bolero.

Quote:
If you drive an XD3P jeep, you are going to throw out the XDP. Trust me.
Hmmm... there is an XD3P available now (hopefully) ever since Allan put a Scorpio engine in one of the 550s.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:58   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Man, that's a major transformation of your classic. Looks like a real purposeful machine ready now. Need to update your garage pics with these new pics.

Are those 31x10.5x15 or 31.11.5x15 Big Horns? How much do they cost? I am planning to upgrade to 31 inch tires and wanted Treapadors, but they are not available in 31x10.5x15 according to the Bangalore dealer.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:14   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Man, that's a major transformation of your classic. Looks like a real purposeful machine ready now. Need to update your garage pics with these new pics.

Are those 31x10.5x15 or 31.11.5x15 Big Horns? How much do they cost? I am planning to upgrade to 31 inch tires and wanted Treapadors, but they are not available in 31x10.5x15 according to the Bangalore dealer.
Thanks. These are 10.5 Big horns. Yep, even i got the feedback that 31" trepadors are not available.

@ Red Liner: you took some pics of my roll cage during the EXAMM! Please post them here till i get to my jeep.
Old 9th July 2010, 09:55   #296
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And taller tyres are a boon.
The main motivation, yes.

Quote:
I'm going to send my Jeep to Allan sometime soon for a similar snorkel.

Quote:
Honestly, the difference isn't as much as 10 BHP ought to feel (62 versus 72.5). I would say there is a marginal improvement, but certainly not worth the effort of swapping an XDP for an XD3P.
Old 9th July 2010, 11:29   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honestly, the difference isn't as much as 10 BHP ought to feel (62 versus 72.5). I would say there is a marginal improvement, but certainly not worth the effort of swapping an XDP for an XD3P.
Theres more:

1. Offroad - every ounce of BHP and torque matters. I just found the XD3P to have that little bit more power (which means you can go easier on the vehicle and not kill it to go over something). This is extremely important considering the terrains all offroaders here do are getting more difficult as we progress. Offroading is growing by leaps and bounds.

2. The XD3P is MUCH MUCH quieter and more rattle free as compared to the XDP. They are no comparison at all! Out of the XDP, and DI, and the XD3P, my vote uninamoulsy goes for the XD3P!

3. If you put a 5 speed BA-10 (and yes it can be mated to your regular T-18), your highway cruisability is a super 110. And the BA-10 is pretty good off-road as opposed to the confidence inspiring KMT-90 iron-horse.

I would say its 200% ROI. You just have to lift off the XDP and plonk in the XD3P. Everything else remains the same. Even the mileage. And your 31 inch tyres will love the additional boost. And after you put the XD3P, re-calibrate your FIP for more power.

Tejas, if you dont want the XD3P, let me know My jeep is going through a full re-build and I dont mind swapping my engine at the same time.

Tejas, what do I get for all this gyaan. You have got a super jeep in like 6 months. not fair man, this is bloody highway robbery!
Old 9th July 2010, 11:59   #298
BHPian

ba 10 5 speed 4wd on the short chassis
is that possible
what will be the length of the rear propeller shaft
Old 9th July 2010, 12:12   #299
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Offroad - every ounce of BHP and torque matters. I just found the XD3P to have that little bit more power
Agreed. But its the difference is too small to justify the effort / cost of throwing out a 50,000 km XDP (running perfectly well), and plonking in an XD3P.

Quote:
The XD3P is MUCH MUCH quieter and more rattle free as compared to the XDP.
Since day one, and as highlit in my Jeep ownership report, I don't find any substantial difference in the NVH. The XD3P sounds very similar to the XDP.

The XD3P sounds very refined in the Bolero, but that's primarily down to superior under-bonnet insulation. In a Classic, the difference - if any - is negligible.

Quote:
If you put a 5 speed BA-10 (and yes it can be mated to your regular T-18)
I've been told by Behram & Ferdi that the 5 speed BA-10 is either impossible for the CJ3B's length, or too complicated.

Quote:
your highway cruisability is a super 110.
The Classic is best at 80 kph. My engine can do a little over a 100 (touched an indicated 110), but the shoddy road manners make me back off to 80 kph. The engine / gearbox don't pose a limitation, as much as its ancient chassis & design do.

Between the two engines, XD3P is better. But swapping a factory fit XDP with an XD3P is simply not worth it. The differential value is too little. In the same Jeep, I've done about 1.4 lakh kms on the XDP, and over 20,000 on the XD3P; that's exactly what my comments are based on. @ Tejas, I highly recommend you take a spin in my Jeep before deciding on the swap.

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2010 at 12:59.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:50   #300
BHPian

tejas,
you know we have that brilliant choice also, which is arka approved
xtreme power is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks