Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 14:13   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Tejas, all Scorpio CRDe engines have ECU, one engine very close to the CRDe version is the NEF TC used in Bolero pickups.

Now, I have some idea about your vicious plans.

Spike
Spikey,

When I went to Kurla to search for engines, they asked if i wanted the chain drive or the gear driven one. Which is which? Can you throw more light on the same?
Which is the non ecu engine? The 2.6 DI in the first gen scorpio right?
Old 7th September 2010, 14:54   #362
Senior - BHPian

IIRC - Chain driven is the 1st gen one, nothing wrong with it, just more pronounced running noise than the gear driven one. All Scorpio's had a ECU (agian, IIRC)
Old 7th September 2010, 15:11   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
.. they asked if i wanted the chain drive or the gear driven one. Which is which? Can you throw more light on the same?
Which is the non ecu engine? ...
I have heard that the 2.6 Turbo DX2 is the better among the non-CRDe Scorpio engines.

BTW, it can be chain-drive or belt-drive, not sure if gear-driven is possible ?
Old 7th September 2010, 16:27   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spikey,

When I went to Kurla to search for engines, they asked if i wanted the chain drive or the gear driven one. Which is which? Can you throw more light on the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
IIRC - Chain driven is the 1st gen one, nothing wrong with it, just more pronounced running noise than the gear driven one. All Scorpio's had a ECU (agian, IIRC)
Thats right Chain drive is First Gen, even Mahindra mechanics warn you to stay away from those. They tend to break down every 25k it seems.

Tejas - stay away from the Chain drives and all of them had a ECU (again, IIRC )

Also I was shocked to see this Team-BHP Classifieds - Xtreme_Power modified Custom Mahindra Classic (Mumbai) - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

I sense a Swap project thread coming up?

You decided to drive or fly down for the Avalakonda event?
Old 7th September 2010, 16:35   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post

I sense a Swap project thread coming up?

You decided to drive or fly down for the Avalakonda event?
If she sells by October, she goes and i start a new custom project. Otherwise swap and more happens.

I'm not driving down to anaconda for sure. I'll either fly or come with the gypsy boys.
Old 7th September 2010, 17:08   #366
Senior - BHPian

okay. All the best for a quick sale.

I personally would love to see another Red Mahindra short chassis with a 2.6 Scorp engine story unfold.

See you at conda!
Old 7th September 2010, 17:12   #367
Senior - BHPian

Earlier models of Scorpio were Gear driven engines (upto 2004 IIRC), later they were made chain drive. Even the M2Di engine of Scorpio is chain drive. The first generation 2.6 DI scorpio engines are no longer in production, the engine I am talking about is a 2.5L (Export engine) used only for export Bolero models. This is a very torquey engine with beautiful lugging capacity. In-fact the first mechanical prototype of Thar had this very engine running on 4.55 ratios. My personal opinion is, stay away from old Scorpio gear driven engines.

Spike
Old 7th September 2010, 18:35   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tejas - engine details are as follows. Please read very carefully:

Scorpio NEF 2.6 BS1 – Gear Drive – Non CRDe – no ECU as operated by mechanical fuel pump – without EGR
Scorpio NEF 2.6 BS2 – Gear Drive – Non CRDe – no ECU as operated by mechanical fuel pump – with EGR
Scorpio NEF 2.6 BS1 – Chain Drive – Non CRDe – no ECU as operated by mechanical fuel pump – without EGR
Scorpio NEF 2.6 BS2 – Chain Drive – Non CRDe – no ECU as operated by mechanical fuel pump – with EGR
Scorpio NEF 2.6 BS3 – Chain Drive – CRDe – with ECU – with EGR without EGR cooler. This was the engine in my Scorpio.

SERIOUS CAUTION PLEASE - There will be more than 80 to 100 types of NEF 2.6 / NEF 2.5 engines, depending on the specific application like domestic, export, with AC, without AC, with and without pre & post heater plugs etc. All these things are emission driven. I have tried to simplify the basic types above for you. There is no way you will be able to make out what you are buying, let alone the specifications, even from physical appearance, even after I tell you everything, it will be confusing to you. I am not trying to discourage you in any way, I am just trying to prevent you from losing serious money, and there is a 100% chance that you will lose serious money if you land up buying something which does not deliver the desired result that you want. Therefore, you should never even think of buying something as critical as the engine from such a location that you have mentioned. I have been there wearing soiled clothes and incognito many times. These guys have never recognized my background, they think I own a garage or something somewhere and I am scouting for some sort of parts. I have silently had a good laugh at the total lack of information that these guys have regarding the engines / our vehicles, but will talk to you as if they know everything (how will they know, poor fellows!). Except for appearance items like wheel caps, grilles etc for my classic cars, I just do not buy anything from such places.

If you are dead serious, please pay good money and buy a new engine, then use it properly, it will work. I will obviously help you. GTO did the same thing, finally his car is working properly. His XD3 engine is BS2. The EGR is blocked. You can see the photographs in the thread. Please do let me know.

Dear Blue Thunder - your comment in post 363 above, Scorpio 2.6 NEF CRDe engine was never even designed to be belt driven, let along manufactured and used as such. Where did you get this great idea from? Please remove this misconception from your mind.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 7th September 2010, 22:31   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Phew! That was exhaustive! Thanks. I will call u tomorrow.

If it were you, which engine would you put in the classic?
Old 8th September 2010, 08:37   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tejas - my reply to your query "if it were me" is very clear. I would not put the NEF engine in the classic due to the terminal issue of axle intruding the engine envelope. If you were hell bent on doing it (you have to do only one car and not worry about production), you would either move the axle down (means SPOA) and/or you would move the engine up. You have no other choice. In both cases, the vehicle dynamics will go for a major toss. Remember, the CL340 chassis is not a box section and does not have the requisite section modulus to take the performance delivery of the NEF. Also, the driveline components will not be able to withstand the torque because you will move up from 12kgm to 27kgm, things will break like matchsticks, starting from transmission gears, then propeller shaft and finally axle shafts. You may be able to just about drive the vehicle, but reliability will be seriously affected and in the end you will not enjoy the drive.

And, by the way, my reply to your query "which engine would you put in the classic" - now you are asking some very sensitive questions, my friend! . HaHaHa!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - my dream and your dream regarding Jeeps is same. I went about it systematically, including choosing the correct base model (MM540 and not CL340) on which to work. I have the infrastructure in place to do it, it happens to be my full time job.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th September 2010, 10:43   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Tejas - engine details are as follows. Please read very carefully:
Thanks a lot for all the info about the various engines, Sir ! Many of my questions reg. Scorpio engines have been answered from the above post of yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
...Dear Blue Thunder - your comment in post 363 above, Scorpio 2.6 NEF CRDe engine was never even designed to be belt driven, let along manufactured and used as such. Where did you get this great idea from? Please remove this misconception from your mind.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I had heard about the cab ( Qualis ) drivers talk about 'timing-belt change' for their vehicles. Hence this assumption of mine. Glad that you clarified it

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 8th September 2010 at 10:46.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:05   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

BD, so ideally i should put the XD3P if i want to play it safe?

I'm not in for SPOA since i think that the short chassis will make it incredibly tall and unsafe! Is there enough place to raise the engine? And by how much are we talking about?

As for the chassis, i can strengthen it as well as the prop shaft. For axles what if i go for the mm550 ones?

For academic purposes, which engine would you select out of your list to put in the classic (and which is available too... don't say the Thar one).

EDIT: according to the link below, the KMT 90 can take input torques upto 30KgN

http://jeepthrills.in/community/modu...ote=viewresult

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 8th September 2010 at 11:09. Reason: see edit
Old 8th September 2010, 15:50   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Spikey,

The gear drives were highly unreliable and most insiders will tell you to keep away. The chain drives as in the 2004 and 2005 scorpio turbo 2.6xx were the most reliable and the favorite of all potential scorpio buyers who want a non crde engine for their use in the non metro cities. I am being repetitive as BD sir has already listed all this down and also given you a clear direction as to choice of engine

Just feel that if you have got the itch very bad and you want to scratch it, you must start with something new. Your Classic is KA as it is!!! Refine it to as close to perfection as possible. But swaps and more power engines you should try on something new. Just my humble opinion. Good luck!!
Old 8th September 2010, 17:50   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tejas - PLEASE BUY THE THAR! .

On a more serious note, XD3 is as far as you can go. I think we would have stopped manufacturing it by now but I will need to check.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th September 2010, 13:05   #375
BHPian

Hi Tejas,

Here is a thread which might be of some help to you.
Sabareesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks