Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 14:26   #166
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Just wanted to know, if you've tried offroading in 4x4 in this?
The Classic owners are a wrongly stereotyphed group.
Old 24th March 2010, 14:46   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This is like someone bombing the Maldives just for the heck of it
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2010, 14:52   #168
Senior - BHPian

Tejas you might have to put some kind of rubber or fibre bushing under the light mounts. INHO it will vibrate irritatingly at night. Will look like a psychedelic light and a headache as it keeps on vibrating with the engine vibration
Old 24th March 2010, 14:53   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A Classic is always a Classic. I envy you Tejas for this great find and appreciate your efforts in keeping up with this beast. This surely is a head turner. I envy your ride, been a fan of Classic since a long time and would love to own one.
Thanks

Quote:
1st reaction:

2nd reaction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Let's give few hours to Tejas to recover from the shock inflicted by this question. He'll need it.
You can say that again!!! Muhahhahahaha... (lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Yep. Noticed that firsthand.

Jokes apart, traveloholic, see below all the 4x4 trails i have done with this vehicle:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...scussions.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ry-bombay.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ala-games.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...t-lonavla.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...new-trail.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...r-sawarsi.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...announced.html

EDIT:

Gogi, no vibration. I have put small rubber bushes and also made the bracket in such a way that i could put a nut bolt through the centre of the light at the back. Sealed it then with silicone glue. No movement at all.
You can see the nut bolt in the snap (where only the casing is fitted)

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 24th March 2010 at 14:58. Reason: see edit
Old 24th March 2010, 15:59   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This is like someone bombing the Maldives just for the heck of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
1st reaction:
2nd reaction:

Been to a Forest range the last weekend with a couple of friends and saw one of my friends offroading in his Willy's 4x4 like crazy. Always wanted to do the same.
Old 25th March 2010, 17:50   #171
Senior - BHPian

@ Tejas: Don't know how I missed it. Went through the the entire thread in one go and boy you have a exquisite beauty in your hands. Things like this are far and few in between and hence please keep it stock. BTW I will second Red Liner's suggestion of keepinga separate tyre sets for the OTR as you may end up warping the alloys and steel rims are not that expensive as well. Wish you many many Kms of Happy Ownership of the Classic.
Quote:

Been to a Forest range the last weekend with a couple of friends and saw one of my friends offroading in his Willy's 4x4 like crazy. Always wanted to do the same.
My Dear Friend Nikhil, what you saw in Kawal was a simple trail that any high ground clearance 4x2 vehicle can do as well and is nothing compared to what gets done in OTRs. Check out the Avalakonda OTR thread for some real offroading or you may check this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...-event-5a.html for technical obstacle crossing.

Cheers

P.S: Nikhil, DKG's Jeep is not technically a Willys but is a M&M CJ3B

Last edited by MileCruncher : 25th March 2010 at 17:51.
Old 25th March 2010, 19:25   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@ Tejas: Don't know how I missed it. Went through the the entire thread in one go and boy you have a exquisite beauty in your hands. Things like this are far and few in between and hence please keep it stock. BTW I will second Red Liner's suggestion of keepinga separate tyre sets for the OTR as you may end up warping the alloys and steel rims are not that expensive as well. Wish you many many Kms of Happy Ownership of the Classic.
Thanks.

Too late about the wheels though. The old tyres are gone.

Anyways, my luck with poor service continues.

I fit the front fogs on my own but i didn't have a large drill bit to fit the rear fog and i also needed to get the wiring done. So i go to my regular electrician. Normally, he's very good at what he does; BUTTT...

I had clearly marked out where i wanted the single rear light to be fitted. However, he uses his own brain and fits it on the bumper saying it will give a better throw of light. The light in that spot would have broken if any one even mildly rear-ended my car! Blew my top on him and got it rectified. Now i have to live with a hole in the bumper! This was a straight task and didn't expect i'll have to stand and supervise this also!

Tomorrow, i've cancelled all appointments and am going to get my rear front facing seats with storage fixed. And i'm going to stand there all day!
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-back-light.jpg  

Old 25th March 2010, 19:44   #173
Senior - BHPian

Get that hole rust-proofed and plugged. You can use it to install a rear-facing camera for OTRs. I've got a Motocomm that might fit that hole. You can also use it to
Old 25th March 2010, 21:09   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Good. You need a few knocks on your head to realise that huh?

And gsferrari, what if he goes into water? Is your camera water proof?

Lord.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:19   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
My Dear Friend Nikhil, what you saw in Kawal was a simple trail that any high ground clearance 4x2 vehicle can do as well........
P.S: Nikhil, DKG's Jeep is not technically a Willys but is a M&M CJ3B
OT: Ani Bhai, the trip I mentioned was not the one we went to Kawal/Jannaram, but the trip we went last week to Tadvai forests near Warangal. It was a day trip, which we started early morning and returned late night.

The Willy's I mentioned was my friends, which is infact a 4x4 Willy's.

Anyways, eagerly awaiting for the next trip to the jungles. Its fun being in there.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:33   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Hurray! Nothing broke in the last OTR!!!

However, Engine temperature went up. Normally it stays at 80, but it went up to 90 on the way to the OTR site during the ghat session (tarmac roads though) with 3 of us in the Jeep.

Second time i got an engine temp light on when i was towing back ibrahim's gypsy from the OTR site to the mechanic in lonavla (bad roads and lot of climbs - too much engine strain).

Thinking of getting an additional electric fan installed. What suggestions?

Tyres performed very well. Though we didn't tackle too many obstacles to really gauge it. Was good in slush but after a while (specially when trying to recover vehicles), the large voids would get chocked up and would not self clean. The advantage is that you can take your vehicle for a very short spin on a non slushy surface and they clean out real fast!
Old 29th March 2010, 10:37   #177
Senior - BHPian

Heat

Quote:
Hi Tejas

1) Service the Radiator/Water Pump & Hoses (Its summer time)

2) Check Engine Oil Level.

3) Check FIP Timing (If over heating occurs frequently)

Regards,

Arka
Old 29th March 2010, 11:00   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Was done when the water pump issue happened last month.

Quote:
Had checked before the OTR. Was fine.

Quote:
This happened first time in 8 OTRs. However, normally there are two persons in the car and this time we were three. That's the only difference.

Will check the FIP timing though.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:12   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Hurray! Nothing broke in the last OTR!!!
However, Engine temperature went up. Normally it stays at 80, but it went up to 90 on the way to the OTR site during the ghat session (tarmac roads though) with 3 of us in the Jeep.

Second time i got an engine temp light on when i was towing back ibrahim's gypsy from the OTR site to the mechanic in lonavla (bad roads and lot of climbs - too much engine strain).

Doc, I had the same situation last weekend with my 1991 Wrangler YJ. During the OTR the temp shot up and radiator started spurting out rusty water in half gaseous form. I had plans to replace it for long time and decided to do it soon since the summer has already started here.

On Sunday I took it a known radiator manufacturing shop.. got the old rusted 2 core shell replaced with the brand new 3 core shell while retaining the old tanks ( top and bottom ones) so that no modifications is required for the mounting brackets.
Got it back yesterday, Filled it with 4 liters of new coolant mixed with 2 liters of bottled water.
Now the temp barely touches the 35% mark! But I am planning to install an electric fan infront of the Ac condensor to cope up with the extreme Arabian summer where temp goes beyond 52 degree celsius.

My suggestions for overheating Jeeps/Engine or any old Jeeps

1) Flush your radiator/engine with any good flush chemical once in six months.
2) Go for a radiator upgrade like what I did ( Peugeot XDP4.90 is famous for everheating)
3) Replace coolant every 6 months or atleast every year- and remember never mix with tap water (either fill it completely with premixed coolant or mix it with bottled water with is pH neutral)
4) Replace radiator hoses with brand new one as a precaution(once in a year)
5) Install a radiator cowl for better cooling (if you dont have one)
6) Replace your fan with more leaves
7) During OTR - try to remove your chaff screen/bug mesh for better air flow.
8) Finally if you still not happy with cooling - go for a electric fan with a switch so that you can turn it off during waterfording or in winter.

Shibu
Old 29th March 2010, 11:33   #180
Senior - BHPian

Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

Hi Tejas,

In addition, you can remove the Thermostat (Fitted in Radiator Top Hose), during the Summer (hotter months) March-August.

The Thermostat, regulates the engine temp at 80degrees, and keeps the engine at optimum performance.

The Thermostat opens when the water temperature in the Engine Block has reached 80 Degrees, and closes at 70 Degrees Centigrade.

This allows the engine to maintain ideal operating temp for best power, and fuel efficiency and emission.

This is only for Hotter Months, for best results use the Thermostat just before/after monsoons.

Regards,

Arka

Vehicle Preparations

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks