Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2021, 10:56   #6226
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Awesome, thanks a lot!

Quote:
Maybe a basic question - what does these zones means?
It says 47.5% on Zone 3 Tempo, 40% on Zone 2 Moderate, 10.5% on Zone 3 Threshold, and 2% on Zone 1 Endurance.
You can check https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/kn...--heart-rate-0 . For the numbers to be accurate, you need to perform an LTHR test (similar to the FTP test which is based on power, but this is HR based) and enter the values on Strava. I think Strava has made these features premium, but there is a free chrome extension called Elevate for Strava which gives you much more detailed metrics.
itisravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 11:17   #6227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow man! Team BHP team is in top gear now. 2 hours of deep clean of my drivetrain I come back and again I cannot find my cycle thread!!!!!! Lol Thanks a ton vb-san. Great effort man.

Great job guys. I am simply luvvvvving it.

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th July 2021 at 18:45. Reason: Splitting post to relevant threads
Old 24th July 2021, 11:40   #6228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Awesome, thanks a lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Great job guys. I am simply luvvvvving it.
GTO created the sub-section and have already moved a few threads in there. Aditya will be moving more in the coming week.

More brand/model ownership threads and technical threads will make the section a ready reference for folks who want to get into the biking arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi
Thank you for this, very informative.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 11:50   #6229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GTO created the sub-section and have already moved a few threads in there. Aditya will be moving more in the coming week.

More brand/model ownership threads and technical threads will make the section a ready reference for folks who want to get into the biking arena.

Thank you for this, very informative.
Really a superb effort by the Admin team. Thanks a ton GTO, Aditya, you and team.

3 pages worth of cycle topics is hardly a few man. I thought there won't be mire than 10 ro be honest!

Slowly we will get the hang of the different dedicated threads as we use them (or simply get to know they are there!) and start diverging from the Bicycles mega thread I guess.

Fir the zones, the go to reference for me and most guys who train by HR or Power is Training Peaks.

They use the Coggan's charts which are the definitive ones for zone training for athletes worldwide.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 13:03   #6230
BHPian

Thanks admin team!!

What a fantastic morning to wake up and find a bicycles sub-forum in team-bhp. Already see 3 pages of topics and probably more to come when the mega thread starts to get organized. Nice initiative from all the contributors to request for such a sub-forum.

In the coming years, I would not be surprised if team-bhp is not only redlining Indian automotive scene, but also the whole Indian mobility scene.

Cheers,
Karthik
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:32   #6231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Eric,

I have the integrated Shimano Tourney 7-speed ST EF51 brake-shifter combos on my Hercules ACT 110 hybrid.

I now have a spare perfect condition (and a lot newer) 7-speed Altus right side shifter and rear derailleur to use on my bike if I can get them to work.

I want to use the Altus shifter in addition to the rear derailleur on my bike in place of my Tourney units. Any improvement in rear shift quality and crispness will be a really good upgrade, even the gearing remaining the same!

But you see the problem ... I have integrated brake lever and shifter... do I need to ditch the whole old unit, and get a separate brake lever to go along with the Altus shifter?

Attaching a photo of my bike so you can see my brake-shifter units up close ...

Attachment 2179039
That is a really great looking ACT, Doc... after all your references to it, this is the first I'm actually getting a look.

A lot of new budget bikes are now coming with a non-integrated setup, so best option IMO is to forego any jugaad and just buy a cheap set of separate levers. Suncross spares division (or equivalent) has decent all-alloy units with standard fine-thread cable adjusters, I think for only a few hundred rupees/pair. I've done this on my ACT105 and my wife's old Suncross, and both work and look great. Pure desi brands (as pictured here on my ACT108 with the SRAM shifters)

The Bicycles thread-img_20210725_113448_1o.jpg

are many and even cheaper, and I have no real issues with their (bit flexy) plastic yokes, but usually their adjusters are useless.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 25th July 2021 at 11:45.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:54   #6232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
That is a really great looking ACT, Doc... after all your references to it, this is the first I'm actually getting a look.

A lot of new budget bikes are now coming with a non-integrated setup, so best option IMO is to forego any jugaad and just buy a cheap set of separate levers. Suncross spares division (or equivalent) has decent all-alloy units with standard fine-thread cable adjusters, I think for only a few hundred rupees/pair. I've done this on my ACT105 and my wife's old Suncross, and both work and look great. Pure desi brands are many and even cheaper, and I have no real issues with their plastic yokes, but usually their adjusters are useless.

-Eric
Thanks Eric. Now that we have our own Cycling sub-forum I'm wondering how to collate all my posts (with photos) about her over the years into a single dedicated ownership and fettling exoerience thread.

Yup Decathlon too sells a set of levers for 5-600 odd bucks. But they are silver in color. I'd prefer the continuation of the overall Black anodized theme as on the rest of the bike.

These are the two main new bits I'm talking about ...

The Bicycles thread-img20210716wa0041.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20210716wa0040.jpg

And this is the current drivetrain on my ACT for the Tourney crank, derailleurs and trigger shifters.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210724_110842.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210721_090746.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210719_204226.jpg

P.S. I thought you had missed my post because you would not be getting any new notifications as I could not reach you on PM as well on account of your Inbox being full. Please clean it out!

Cheers, Doc
Old 25th July 2021, 12:07   #6233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup Decathlon too sells a set of levers for 5-600 odd bucks. But they are silver in color. I'd prefer the continuation of the overall Black anodized theme as on the rest of the bike.

These are the two main new bits I'm talking about ...
And this is the current drivetrain on my ACT for the Tourney crank, derailleurs and trigger shifters.

P.S. I thought you had missed my post because you would not be getting any new notifications as I could not reach you on PM as well on account of your Inbox being full. Please clean it out! lol
Yeah, sorry, I did miss it, have been super busy de-commissioning my workshop (victim of hotel development unfortunately) and getting set up to do the cycle work here at home. Five years' worth of accumulated "junk" over there, so it was probably about time anyway, a bit "freeing".

Your parts are very familiar to me, I have the same setup on the 105. Black anodized may not be available everywhere though I think I have had one or two of unknown origin in my parts bin. I suppose you could paint/ powder-coat a shiny lever or else go for all-black-plastic desi one, if you can bear the flexiness. My ancient (imported) Decathlon Riverside has all-black plastic ones that are actually quite rigid and have okay adjusters, and I'd think some of the new India-market stuff out there would be similar.

Ah, here we go... (I forget what I have sometimes) - Giant Revel (2016-ish)... black anodized...

The Bicycles thread-img_20210725_121940.jpg

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 25th July 2021 at 12:22.
Old 25th July 2021, 12:21   #6234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, I did miss it, have been super busy de-commissioning my workshop (victim of hotel development unfortunately) and getting set up to do the cycle work here at home. Five years' worth of accumulated "junk" over there, so it was probably about time anyway, a bit "freeing".

Your parts are very familiar to me, I have the same setup on the 105. Black anodized may not be available everywhere though I think I have had one or two of unknown origin in my parts bin. I suppose you could paint/ powder-coat a shiny lever or else go for all-black-plastic desi one, if you can bear the flexiness. My ancient (imported) Decathlon Riverside has all-black plastic ones that are actually quite rigid and have okay adjusters, and I'd think some of the new India-market stuff out there would be similar.

-Eric
My main question is will the new parts be enough of an improvement over the existing ones to justify the hassle?

With the rear derailleur alone be aa big improvement? Or will the shifter make the bigger difference?

My main issue which I'm facing right now is in the smallest cogs at the rear, moving up to the larger next 3 (or sometimes 4) cogs. The thumb shifter moves two clicks but the chain moves up only one cog. Then I have to do one click back with the index finger shifter so that the chain does not tick.

This does not happen on the last 3 (or 4) last big lowest cogs.

I've just gotten used to doing two shifts for ever one now. Not a major issue. Was just wondering if (and which) of these new parts would solve this.

I don't think it's an indexing issue because I've had the indexing done by 3-4 different guys over the years and the current setting is the best compromise, in that I at least have full use of all 21 speeds, with the chain actually shifting properly (and not jumping) on to each of the 7 rear cogs, in each of the 3 front rings. So I'm not majorly fussed. Old bikes, like old men and old women, deserve their quirks!!!

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th July 2021 at 12:25.
Old 25th July 2021, 12:28   #6235
BHPian

Hey fellow cyclists.

I am on the look out for a MTB and whilst browsing online, I came across this brand called Ninety-One. On visiting their website it says KTM cycle industries with the KTM orange brand logo. Does anyone have any experience with this brand, in the first person or know someone who has one of these bikes. Are they a legit company with good quality products?.

Cheerio!
Old 25th July 2021, 12:29   #6236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My main question is will the new parts be enough of an improvement over the existing ones to justify the hassle?

With the rear derailleur alone be aa big improvement? Or will the shifter make the bigger difference?

My main issue which I'm facing right now is in the smallest cogs at the rear, moving up to the larger next 3 (or sometimes 4) cogs. The thumb shifter moves two clicks but the chain moves up only one cog. Then I have to do one click back with the index finger shifter so that the chain does not tick.

This does not happen on the last 3 (or 4) last big lowest cogs.

I've just gotten used to doing two shifts for ever one now. Not a major issue. Was just wondering if (and which) of these new parts would solve this.

Cheers, Doc
Well, the Altus/Acera rear derailleurs are definitely more rigid than the Tourney, so that's a good thing and may help alleviate the issue. Shifter itself may not be much different performance-wise, the integrated ones are considered pretty okay but I still prefer the non-integrated, and the conversion process is pretty painless, not much more time/hassle involved than changing a set of cables.

On that note might be worth a look at the cables, gear cable housing is supposed to be smaller diameter but sometimes mechanics put the bigger brake housing, and I suspect the extra slop in there can cause this issue. Basically if everything's not moving 100% freely and at the same time good and "tight" (devoid of slack/play), shifting gets compromised.

-Eric
Old 25th July 2021, 12:37   #6237
BHPian

How is the new gen line up from HERO cycles ? Saw few pics online, any owners here ?

Hero sprint 24" 21Speed MTB is available at 12K
Link
Old 25th July 2021, 12:39   #6238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the Altus/Acera rear derailleurs are definitely more rigid than the Tourney, so that's a good thing and may help alleviate the issue. Shifter itself may not be much different performance-wise, the integrated ones are considered pretty okay but I still prefer the non-integrated, and the conversion process is pretty painless, not much more time/hassle involved than changing a set of cables.

On that note might be worth a look at the cables, gear cable housing is supposed to be smaller diameter but sometimes mechanics put the bigger brake housing, and I suspect the extra slop in there can cause this issue. Basically if everything's not moving 100% freely and at the same time good and "tight" (devoid of slack/play), shifting gets compromised.

-Eric
Thank you for those pointers Eric. I too definitely think the derailleur will be a improvement. The old one has not insignificant side to side play/slop at the pivot points that has developed over the past 15000+ km of use. Or maybe as you indicate is a characteristic of the lower end Tourney.

Will take a call on the front shifter after doing the derailleur swap and checking the shifting, while also checking on the cables and housing.

I'm secretly loathe to change the shifter unless needed because I'm anal about not having mismatched levers on my bike. Let's see.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th July 2021 at 12:53.
Old 26th July 2021, 10:07   #6239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Can you post a picture of your chain after a ride of say 50kms? Lets see how much gunk accumulates on that chain.
That dork disc needs to disappear asap man! That's a road bike you're riding.
Old 26th July 2021, 10:14   #6240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That dork disc needs to disappear asap man! That's a road bike you're riding.
Why? Doesn't it protect the spokes from getting hammered if the chain comes off?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks