Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2019, 15:50   #796
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
5. Volkswagon Vento Tsi/Tdi or Rapid Tdi Go for the face-lifted models
Note: Apologies for adding multiple engines/models here. I am not able to choose between Tdi and Tsi here. Based on my experience, Tdi is quicker on the regular driving conditions, and is manual, adding to the fun factor.
The pre-facelift 1.6 TDi can be had cheaper than the current 1.5 TDi. Besides, the 1.6 has a more raw feel albeit with a slightly less fuel efficiency figure.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 18:54   #797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
The pre-facelift 1.6 TDi can be had cheaper than the current 1.5 TDi. Besides, the 1.6 has a more raw feel albeit with a slightly less fuel efficiency figure.

I hear the 1.6L engines had some injector issue? I see thr resale value of this variant is quite low. Whats the known issues in 1.6L and what changedbin 1.5L?
Old 21st February 2020, 20:50   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I hear the 1.6L engines had some injector issue? I see thr resale value of this variant is quite low. Whats the known issues in 1.6L and what changedbin 1.5L?
The 1.6 TDi's earlier batches (2011) were the main ones to be affected by the faulty fuel injectors. Later models weren't as susceptible, due to VW doing something about it, but the Rapid wasn't really affected by this. To be on the safer side, it's wiser to go for a 2013-2014 car.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 08:28   #799
BHPian

I am writing this review after using the car for a year now. So the search for buying a car began only because I had to get a car for my wife. I was looking for a small automatic hatchback with a limited budget of 5-6lacs but couldn't think of anything since any automatic car of an i10 Grand equivalent segment costs over 7lacs. Then I began to look for a used car on olx when I suddenly saw a used Honda accord selling for 7 lacs. The car had done over 120k kms so was not at all considered but then came a thought - " Why not handover my 2015 Polo GT Tsi to my wife and look for a used Honda Accord ".

This thought made all the sense to me since as it solved both the purpose of getting a small automatic hatch for my wife as well as buying my childhood dream car as I knew the Accord would sell cheap mainly because after 2013 it had been discontinued in India for a good 3 years before they brought the 9th gen into the country in the end of 2016. So i started looking for the car on olx and did find a bunch of ads which were either upwards of by budget by about a lac or two or were driven upwards of 1lac kms. I kept looking for such ads and kept going to the used car bazaar here in Chandigarh for about a month but couldn't find anything satisfactory.

At the end I decided to expand my olx search to Delhi/NCR. Saw a lot of ads for the Accord's and even for the V6 ones with an asking price of 8-10lacs. Finally I shortlisted two cars, a 2012 model with 57k on the odo and a 2013 with 63k kms. Both the cars were with the dealers so made a phone call to both of them to inquire more about the cars and I left from Chandigarh to Delhi the very next day on my car.

I met the dealer to have a look at the 2012 model, though being over 7 years old looked in a very good shape. I took the car for a spin and immediately fell in love with the car. My only concern here was if the reading on the odo was original and not tempered for which I simply went to the Honda service station to look for the service records and the last service was done a month prior. The service adviser was generous enough to show me that there were no part replacements/accidents whatsoever. Since everything thing looked sorted, I had made up my mind on buying the car without even looking at the second car since 2013 model was expensive by a lakh. I gave the dealer a token amount and left for Chandigarh the very same day. Booked a Volvo bus from Chandigarh the next morning and took delivery of the car and drove back to Chandigarh from Delhi. All in all I paid 5.90lacs for the car.

Here are my observations based on driving the car for a little over a year now :

I had previously been driving the Polo GT Tsi and the change to the Accord has been a very different experience altogether. The very first thing is that I had to adjust to the size of the car and one sits very low. The bonnet is too long but got used to it quickly as before the Polo, the Chevy Cruze was my primary car. However since the car is also very wide, it took a day or two to deal with it. I remember braking first and letting every one pass by dealing with the Delhi traffic coming back from Delhi to Chandigarh.

The car has done close to 65k kms now and the one thing that I really love is its Engine which is very punchy and is rated at 177bhp & produces 222NM of Torque. The car really pulls post 4k RPM all the way upto 7k RPM which is insane. If one is shifting the gears using the paddle shifters, this car holds the gear until you shift yourself which is rear these days. So even when you redline, It will only upshift gear when done manually. Having such a capacity engine has an obvious downside which is lower fuel economy and the Accord is no exception. My daily run is about 20kms only in the city and the best FE that I have been able to achieve so far is 9kmpl. Although I tried my level best to get over 10kmpl but I have not been able to get to that figure in the past one year . The worst FE achieved is 6.5kmpl. On the Highways it will return close to 13kmpl. So the last 5000kms I have driven has costed me 46k on fuel and a periodic service worth 8k. Basically every 5000kms on the car should cost me close to 54k

The second noticeable thing is the difference in the way the Gearbox works. Obviously it's noticeably slower than the DSG in the polo but doesn't get you irritated like the CVT's and of course the peddle shifters are there for the rescue. Having said that, taking a quick overtake is just too easy on the Polo than on the Accord where a gentle tap on the Polo does the job and one just needs to press the accelerator peddle a bit more aggressively on the Accord. Still If we compare the 5 speed torque converter with the City's CVT, the one is the accord is a winner as the response to the throttle input is much better.

The third evident thing is the difference in the handling of both the cars. Suspension is on the softer side on both but the ride certainly feels better on the Polo both in the City and on the highways. On the Accord the ride is comfortable on the highways but in the city one feels the road much more and it is comparable to the current gen Honda City. Also one can still enjoy cornering aggressively on the Polo but its just a Roller Coaster on the Accord.

Now coming to the features of the car. Even though the car is now 8 years old, the AC is a chiller and it's great to have a dual zone climate control option on the car. The six way driver seat electric adjustment is a great option to have but till the time the motors keep working. I am not too sure if I would be able to source one quickly if any of it fails in the future since it's often difficult to find spare parts for any discontinued model. However I wish it had seat memory option too. The music system sounds great too and mine came equipped with a touch screen one which is probably an after fit company accessory which comes with a reverse camera and lots of connectivity options such as USB,SD Card,Bluetooth & Navigation. I would rate the sound quality as good as in the current gen Honda City but the pre-facelift one.

One of the main USP's of the car is its spacious Cabin. I feel in this very segment of cars, only the Accord and the Camry can accommodate 3 people comfortably at the rear. The reason why I say so is because there is negligible transmission tunnel hump in the center which really allows to stretch your feet. Even if the driver seat is pushed back to its maximum, there is enough legroom for everyone. I only wish the rear boot was designed a bit better because the the trunk is not among the largest, the Skoda Superb is a clear winner here.

The build quality of the car is solid unlike the new gen Honda cars as I feel the overall solidity has gone down especially in the current gen Honda City. Inside, one won't find soft touch materials on the dashboard but the quality fit & finish continues here as well and there are no rattles whatsoever. Even though the car was given this shape in 2008, I still feel it looks stylish from the outside and never feels outdated. Perhaps the exterior design of the Accord and the Civic were really ahead of time. I only wish it had 17 Inch wheels instead of 16's as that would have made it look much better.

Here are some things that I like & would have liked :

Positives

Acres of Space - The car is as long as a 5 Series or an E Class but a lot more roomier. No center floor hump means its a super comfortable place for three occupants at the back. If I am sat on the driver seat I can't reach to unlock the passenger seat's door handle. Have to really get up and stretch. That’s Insane !!
Engine Performance - Oh boy this beast really pulls after 4k RPM Mark.
Ride - Super comfy especially for the rear passengers
Extra Feature - Includes a Dual Zone Climate Control AC, 6 Airbags, Electrically powered driver seat adjustment, Music controls in the rear center armrest for passengers. It has a 6 CD changer too.

Negatives

Handling - Suspension is on the softer side so you feel a lot of body roll when cornering aggressively. This is not really a car you would want to corner hard.
Mileage - 7.5kmpl in the city,13kmpl on highways. Obviously i knew about this before. In fact I feel this is one of the reasons why people sell it off.
Gearbox - Its not very smooth and you can feel each and every gear shift and also feels a bit sluggish but you can deal with it using the paddle shifters. We also have a 2014 Honda City CVT in the family and I am happy to report that the torque converter in the Accord is faster to respond than the City’s CVT.
Ground Clearance - Its pretty low and one has to be really careful going over speed bumps.
Few Featured Missed - The car misses out some important features which cars from a segment below has. For example - Steering Mounted Audio Controls, Auto Dimming rear view mirror, Rain sensing wipers. Even though the Accord got a facelift in 2013 before getting discontinued, these features were available back in the Chevy Cruze in 2009 and they could have added these in the facelifted model.

Here are some photos of the car :

I always try to make some unique changes to the exterior. Here is a single snap covering my previous Beasts.
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-mix1.jpg

Carbon Fiber Wrap on the grill - Rs 500 & universal front bumper lip spoiler 1k
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-1.jpg7

Sofa at the back
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-2.jpg

Elegant Interiors
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-3.jpg

Carbon fiber center console sourced from Aliexpress for 2k
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-4.jpg

Spacious Cabin
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-5.jpg

Rear Headlamps sourced from Aliexpress for 13k including custom duty, Roof Spoiler - 5k, Boot lip Spoiler - Rs 800 , Shark Fin Antenna - Rs 900
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-6.jpg

Headlamps sourced from a local shop which includes 55W Hid's for the low & high beam[28k for the headlamps & 8k for the Hid's]
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-7.jpg

Links to the Accessories :

Shark Fin Antenna - https://a.aliexpress.com/_d8oX0Vg
Universal Carbon Fiber Boot Spoiler Lip - https://a.aliexpress.com/_d7Jrs1s
Universal Carbon Fiber Front Bumper Lip Spoiler - https://a.aliexpress.com/_d7ISxGS
Carbon Fiber Center Console - https://a.aliexpress.com/_d8w07G2
Roof Spoiler - https://a.aliexpress.com/_d8jbC66
Rear Headlamps - https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWdqb1U

So far I have not faced any issues with the car and I hope it remains niggle free for the years to come as I wish to keep it running for another 7-8 years.
nishchal316 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 10:45   #800

Very well put. Your Polo looks so tasteful. I just wanted to know the amount you mentioned above is the price of the car only or includes things like NOC, insurance etc. ? I myself am in the market for a sub 10 lakh drivers car.
Old 20th April 2020, 12:39   #801
BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase. Accord is a great car with the only drawback of low fuel average. So you are spending 10 rupees per kilometer on fuel and maintainance which does not count the running spare cost of tyre, battery and other wear and also excludes the insurance cost.
It is excellent as a low run vehicle but if you have high mileage, then it will really pinch the pocket.
Old 20th April 2020, 16:42   #802
BHPian

Why have you stuck V6 badges on a 4 cylinder?
Doge is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 22:08   #803
BHPian

Nice car. Even I love the Accord and have been scouring olx and quikr for a 2006/7 V6. Just the itch to own a reliable V6,that's it. It's a heart vs a mind matter. Heart says V6 mind says affordable hatch. The tug of war continues. I loved the nice updates you did to the car too,very tasteful. Looking forward to future updates on this.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 00:48   #804
BHPian

Congratulations. That seemed like a sensible upgrade. You got to keep the GT and also got your dream car. That's why I love used cars, you get an Accord for a price that's lesser than a basic trim Swift.
Old 23rd April 2020, 15:24   #805
BHPian

No doubt Honda makes great cars, one of my neighbors had got a preowned accord v6 and later tastefully modified however he didn't keep the car long owing to its gasoline thirst that too in a city like delhi where you spend more time idling than driving. Overall its an excellent car and better than the skoda counterparts due to the after sales services. I believe the accord to honda is like a 7 series to BMW and that is best experienced chauffeur driven with those plush interiors. Hope you have a great time with the car mate
Old 7th May 2020, 11:03   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
Negatives

Few Featured Missed - The car misses out some important features which cars from a segment below has. For example - Steering Mounted Audio Controls, Auto Dimming rear view mirror, Rain sensing wipers. Even though the Accord got a facelift in 2013 before getting discontinued, these features were available back in the Chevy Cruze in 2009 and they could have added these in the facelifted model.
Sailing in the same boat, having a 2010 accord 2.4L since 2013. Bought it when it was 32K run and today its 62K appx. Had spent almost 9L to acquire it. Always wanted a spacious car as everyone in the house is tall and big, accord was the only car which impressed me.
Have some basic mods like LED Bulbs all around. Boot Lip and Dash carpet, which help to remove the dash reflection
Added an aftermarket aux adapter and it misses one from the factory.
2010 Model did not come with any steering controls, no Cruise control or audio controls. Got a set of used buttons from the US Market and wired them to work on the Indian Accord. Making the cruise control work was not possible but atleast wired them to lit up.
Audio control wasn't that difficult. Had to disconnect the rear armrest audio switch signal wires and jump them to the steering wheel spiral control and add 2 wires from the switch to the spiral behind the steering airbag. Did my home work well and everything worked like a charm.
If you need more information or wiring help on the Audio controls, PM me and I will send you the details.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-boot-lip.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-2-accord-aux.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-accord-aux.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-steering-controls.jpg  

yogisays0909 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 20:27   #807
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Since the thread is fairly old, I believe it is time to redo the list for 2019. A quick take on Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees, for 2019.
Btw, I own the first two cars in the list. Thanks to Team-Bhp and special thanks to this thread for getting me there where I am willing to own those. If I were not in Team-Bhp for more than a decade, I would have still be driving a chart topper.
Hello! What can you suggest as a first car for a student under the 2 lakhs scene? I really want to get started with a good project car in my time. Are there good powerful fun to drive used cars under this price point which wouldn't be that crazy with servicing? I have heard bad things about the non-availability of SGP parts of the old Baleno so I am quite hesitant towards buying it. Can someone help me?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:05. Reason: Added missing punctuations. Request to take the time to construct your posts and proof read them as it affects readability.
usaam is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th June 2020, 10:05   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaam View Post
Hello! What can you suggest as a first car for a student under the 2 lakhs scene? I really want to get started with a good project car in my time. Are there good powerful fun to drive used cars under this price point which wouldn't be that crazy with servicing? I have heard bad things about the non-availability of SGP parts of the old Baleno so I am quite hesitant towards buying it. Can someone help me?
Get a Fiat Punto 90 hp, remaps available, it's a perfect car with the national engine, pretty inexpensive to maintain and one of the cars with a very good driving feel. Hydraulic steering too. Plus it sells at dirt cheap prices in the used car market.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:06. Reason: Corrected quoted post + removed space before punctuations. Thanks!
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 11:22   #809
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Get a Fiat Punto 90 hp, remaps available, it's a perfect car with the national engine, pretty inexpensive to maintain and one of the cars with a very good driving feel. Hydraulic steering too. Plus it sells at dirt cheap prices in the used car market.
Thanks a lot, but I really don't want a diesel right now, I have my dad's EcoSport which I enjoy but can't rev that much. I live in kashmir and there are no tuners here and getting out of here by road for tuning is very difficult and cumbersome. Could you suggest a good petrol that revs? Thanks for the response though. Cheers!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:07. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:56   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaam View Post
Thanks a lot, but i really don't want a diesel right now, I have my dad's EcoSport which I enjoy but can't rev that much. I live in kashmir and there are no tuners here and getting out of here by road for tuning is very difficult and cumbersome. Could you suggest a good petrol that revs.
Look for a used Suzuki Swift petrol, preferably the K12 model (not the earlier G13B engine- that one would be too old at this time). You should get one which is about 7-8 years old at around the INR 2 lakh price (maybe slightly higher), especially in north India. A great mix of reliability and performance, and also very easy on the pocket. Typical high revving Japanese engine.

Lovely choice for the requirements that you have mentioned in your post. Also, very easy to put on some fat rubbers and spiffy alloys and make it look like a million bucks.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 19th June 2020 at 11:59.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks