Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2006, 18:45   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
We need to know what the verdict is we peole on this forum have spend our khoon and pasina. So what is the result
MONO / STEREO???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????
Arrey bhaiya apni toh paathshala masti ki paathshala...

It was a good debate... lets just say it was concluded that there is no right or wrong. The objective of a debate is to establish the possibilty of a concept other than what is already accepted by us. If we (all that debated) have been successful in doing that, people who will read this thread will try this for themselves and form their own conclusions. I learnt a few things. And I really dont think it got heated up or uncomfortable. So all's well that ends well.
Old 6th June 2006, 18:51   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Me thinks there is a PA275 up for sale...
lol, you think? I think coz u think, its for sale!
Old 6th June 2006, 20:30   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipreji
My 2 cents: That 42 Hz will be the fundamental frequency. The note will also contain higher harmonics (Fourier components), but not lower frequencies. The sum total of this fundamental plus the harmonics is sometimes referred to as the "timbre" of the instrument. Different instruments (eg. A violin and a harmonium) playing the same note sounds different (ie, have different timbres) because the relative strengths of the high harmonics are different in them.
In the same vein, it is easy to understand why the high frequency cut-off of hi-fi amps are often extended upto 100 kHz or more. Suppose our hearing limit is 20 kHz. But a 20 kHz note from an instrument will definitely contain 40 kHz, 60 kHz etc, in different amounts. A faithful amp should reproduce these frequencies too: otherwise it is distortion
I completely agree with you, and thats what I was trying to say. But the question was not about "faithful reproduction", it was limited to perception of stereo bass only, which I presumed to be below 100hz. As I understand, he experimented with different bass-guitar notes and concluded something like he is able to locate subs above certain frequency, not below that. My point was that if he would have experimented with sine waves, then the conclusion was right because otherwise notes would have had higher frequency componets which we already know that they can be located easily.

Anybody (excluding gurus, masters or headmasters, of course!) wants to know how a sine wave sounds? You must have heard the tune which used to be played when DD used to display "rukavat ke liye khed hai" on TV... that is a sine wave at 1khz.

Quote:
(whether this distortion can be "heard" or not is a subject vast enough for another never-ending thread )
cheers
Reji
Yes, that is indeed a vast subject (or should I say "debate"?!)...no I am not willing to start it...but then think of it, audio is all about just "hearing", what else it is? It may be "feeling" or "shaking" for some, but don't get into that

Many times, distortions are "heard" better than the original recordings. Dolby prologic-II is an example where a mono or stereo recoding is stretched into multiple channels which are claimed to sound much better!
Old 6th June 2006, 20:47   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
so teh PA would be used to feed one sub?
The PA... NOPE... Not being used at all...

Most likely will go to the highest bidder.. will decide shortly.. and yes once I do it will be up in Market place!
Old 6th June 2006, 22:11   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
My point was that if he would have experimented with sine waves, then the conclusion was right because otherwise notes would have had higher frequency componets which we already know that they can be located easily.
You're right santosh, I missed this point while reading your post. One could use a signal generator for pure sine waves but alas! the good ones are expensive. I have a computer programme "audio signal generator" originally written by Rohit Balkishan (whose articles can now be found in www.sound.westhost.com in addition to Rod Elliot's). It was available as free download. Its very good for speaker testing.

Quote:
Dolby prologic-II is an example where a mono or stereo recoding is stretched into multiple channels which are claimed to sound much better!
Oh yeah..I remember spending a month assembling a prologic II circuit that had appeared in Elektor. Had the subwoofer and surround outputs. It always sounded good for the first ten minutes, and then fatigue set in.
Old 7th June 2006, 07:05   #156
BHPian

hey bro kb100.. CONGRATS .. hehe and trust me .. i know exactly how you feel .. so without further ado..
i ask for pics pics pics of install.. hehee
will post my pics today hopefully.. pray it gets done
congrats again !!!
-------------------------------------
Proud Member Of The IDQ Family ...

Last edited by Tool : 7th June 2006 at 07:06.
Old 7th June 2006, 12:09   #157
Senior - BHPian

.. Thanks Tool!...

Okay folks... The BOX is getting done!... will keep updating... Am making this my install thread! - We'll wait for Steeriod to cook up that name!!

Stuff has landed.. the amp is travelling as we speak to me... Gunbir's belly-dancers are dancing on my table rite now..... hope the soundstage will also have the same hieght/distance/dimention once we are thru installing!!... comments gunman??
Old 7th June 2006, 12:32   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
hope the soundstage will also have the same hieght/distance/dimention once we are thru installing!!... comments gunman??
Just get that HU man... quick...

Last edited by gunbir : 7th June 2006 at 12:41.
Old 13th June 2006, 12:06   #159
BHPian

Unplugged Music..thats the way to go... I agree with Gunbir that a SUB mostly jsut screws the music up msot of the time.... I myself dont have a sub in the car ( XING)...but event though I am wantign soem more punch..im afraid that a bad SUb install will jsut screw everythgn up... as my INFINITY REFERENCE 9613 rears have awesoem mids and highs....
btw msotly hear Rock..and no hip hop/rap....
Scorpions
Alanis Morisette
Im mostly into strong vocals...
Old 13th June 2006, 12:31   #160
Senior - BHPian

Just get a sub box ;

and by the way kb100; whts its gonna be?
Old 13th June 2006, 15:42   #161
Senior - BHPian

Okay folks... How does "CACOFONIKS turns HAR MONIKS" sound as the title of my install thread?? (courtsey Steer!)
Old 13th June 2006, 16:00   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Okay folks... How does "CACOFONIKS turns HAR MONIKS" sound as the title of my install thread?? (courtsey Steer!)
Its Cacophonix, so likewise use Harmonix. Justforkix!
Old 13th June 2006, 16:04   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Just get a sub box ;

and by the way kb100; whts its gonna be?
Am putting us snaps soooonnn..... wating to freeze the name first!
Old 13th June 2006, 16:12   #164
Senior - BHPian

Man By today itself or later.......
Old 13th June 2006, 16:37   #165
Senior - BHPian

Oh... By the why... I have been chastised and corrected!!... its "CacophoniX and HarmoniX" ... Sorry to be idiotiX

Most Viewed