Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2018, 11:08   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
I have tried almost all the VW ones on the CAN bus list. Still the rotary volume control on the steering doesn't work.
If all the other buttons are working and only the volume control doesn't work, then there is a possibility that there is something wrong with the steering wheel control itself.

Before changing to the Android HU, what was the OE HU in your car? Did the volume control work with the OE HU? If yes, then it could be a problem with the Android HU, and in that case, the only option is to wait for the seller to respond. Maybe there is some bug where the HU does not recognize the code for volume control from the rotary knob.

EDIT: One inconvenience with these aftermarket HU's is that sometimes you are left with some bugs which the manufacturer is not able to fix (or just does not care to fix), and you have to learn to live with it. The DS611 HU that I have currently in my GT has a couple of minor bugs, and the seller is no more active

Last edited by graaja : 5th January 2018 at 11:10.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 13:01   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Before changing to the Android HU, what was the OE HU in your car? Did the volume control work with the OE HU?
Hi sir! Thanks for your reply!
Before the Android HU, I had the OE RCN320. The volume control on the steering worked with no issues with that HU. Even with this Android HU, the mute function works when the same rotary volume knob is pressed.

The seller's response was only to check if the canbus selected in factory settings is VW specific. He hasn't responded beyond that. May be I should start living with it. But I really like that rotary volume control!

Is it possible that the canbus decoder that my HU came with is unable to decode the inputs from rotary volume control? Should Skodas with such volume control be provided with a different canbus decoder.
Old 5th January 2018, 17:05   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Is it possible that the canbus decoder that my HU came with is unable to decode the inputs from rotary volume control? Should Skodas with such volume control be provided with a different canbus decoder.
The CAN Bus decoder box is just a hardware that just passes on the CAN bus signals to the HU. All decoding happens in the HU. Check out this video. There may be some options in your HU as well to make the CAN bus protocol compatible with Skoda.

graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 23:56   #229
BHPian

Can someone give an expert comment if I can use this https://a.aliexpress.com/_TyNC2 in my 2014 make Jetta? I am looking at V1S Pro model which ships from Spain.
I would also like to attach a Dashcam to this. Is it possible?
Old 24th February 2020, 01:41   #230
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I’m posting after a long time. Haven’t been much around also on the site. I have a 1.6 TDI Vento Highline but it has a very basic audio system which came along. When I bought the car four years back, thought of installing a good touch screen unit that looks like OEM but options were limited then and those were pretty expensive. 50k+. Don’t wanna spend so much. And also somehow didn’t find time somehow lol. Plus apple car play didn’t have google maps also then. Now I think all devices that support apple car play, support google maps. So I would like to install a good sounding system for around 20-25k with speakers that supports apple car play, google maps, has reverse cam and looks good as OEM units of VW. Please help!

Mods: if this is in the wrong thread, please shift it to the right one. Sorry as posting after really long.

Last edited by magikrider : 24th February 2020 at 01:50.
Old 24th February 2020, 05:52   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
Can someone give an expert comment if I can use this https://a.aliexpress.com/_TyNC2 in my 2014 make Jetta? I am looking at V1S Pro model which ships from Spain.
I would also like to attach a Dashcam to this. Is it possible?
If your Jetta comes with the RCD510 unit, then this looks like a drop in replacement. You can connect a reverse camera to this system, but don't think you can connect a dashcam.

Are you sure if they ship to India? I see that the product page mentions "cannot ship to India".

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Hello Bhpians,
I’m posting after a long time. Haven’t been much around also on the site. I have a 1.6 TDI Vento Highline but it has a very basic audio system which came along. When I bought the car four years back, thought of installing a good touch screen unit that looks like OEM but options were limited then and those were pretty expensive. 50k+.
There are so many options from AliExpress for your budget. But I think due to the Corona Virus scare, there seem to be lots of delays in AliExpress shipping.

My first preference would be to get the OEM RCD330 or RCD340 from VW. It will cost around 45K, but being OEM, it should be trouble free. The next best option would be to visit local auto shops and check what options they have and choose one in your budget.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 05:07   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
There are so many options from AliExpress for your budget. But I think due to the Corona Virus scare, there seem to be lots of delays in AliExpress shipping.

My first preference would be to get the OEM RCD330 or RCD340 from VW. It will cost around 45K, but being OEM, it should be trouble free. The next best option would be to visit local auto shops and check what options they have and choose one in your budget.
The OEM in the range of 45-50k just for the head unit is a bit more. Plus speakers will stretch it to 65k approx. it’s a sparingly used vento and very well maintained one but nevertheless a four year old car so don’t think I’d like to go that high now.

Can you or someone else who has the knowledge about specific models please help me out to source the ones available from aliexpress or any such site? That will have apple car play with google maps and sound good too. A little delay is fine by me. Can buy the matching speakers from here if atleast the head unit is sourced from some asian country. Also I’m kinda noob so my technical knowhow is limited and won’t be able to update or make it india ready somehow. So a tried and trusted model that works is preffered.

The local shops here will give a sony or alpine etc. that won’t fit well look wise on a vento I guess. Or is there one? Blaupunkt models aren’t great sounding I read here in some reviews. Been neglecting this since really long and now just want to get one and get it done with lol. Need a reverse cam, and google maps!
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed