Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2016, 13:23   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is an awesome find . Thanks a lot for sharing the information.

I will make this connection when I work on the reverse camera connection. Strange thing is that when I had contacted the vendor about poor radio reception, the vendor did not mention anything about this. He just said to make sure that the antenna connector is firmly connected.
graaja thanks for detailing so much about this product.
I am planning to book this product and I would let to get all the necessary equipment and get it fixed once for all.

Have you made that FM connection while connecting the reverse camera? Did you get time to test the FM reception quality again?

If by any change did you come across a good camera which does not need calibration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsukh View Post

If anyone is interested to know about the Internet Dongle installation I can post the screenshots and procedure for the same.
Jamsukh, This sounds like a great idea to get the internet to the system. A prepaid sim which can be loaded with data when needed will make life simple.
Please share some more info on the 3G dongle installation, where can i buy this? Where exactly does this dongle fit in?

Quote:

With regards to the quality of the Pioneer mic I have installed with the unit, I spoke with Frank today on it and as per him the sound quality is good and much better than the mic the vendor sent. There is no echo of one own's voice heard in it. Though once or twice there was an echo problem which I faced as well but is an one-off case.
I am looking for an external mic. Please provide link or model details about the pioneer mic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Yes. For sure reference, we have a Rockwell RK3188 processor. And our screens, if ordered from the same link as I did, are 1024 * 600 resolution.
This is getting me more excited about this device, I hope you are having lot of fun with the new firmware. Is there any drawback with this firmware?

I would like to know if any of you faced software glitches with this android device.
Is there any sort of lag while performing any action? System getting hug, random reboots or becoming slow due to lots of application running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
It comes pre-rooted out of the box. As I mentioned I did a full root using kingo root and installed XDAuto ROM.
Yes, dual Bluetooth is for 2 devices. I connected obd scanner and my phone. Not sure if we can connect 2 phones/other devices.
My car is 2015 rapid. There are connectors for Jetta as well and will fit. Shouldn't take more than 30 mins to install. Mainly because of the GPS receiver and mic to be connected and concealing the cable. Otherwise a fairly straight forward job.

I will post pics soon.
Thanks patron for sharing info about this device
Now I am confused which model to buy, 2GB ram sounds like a better option for an android device.

I have some questions with this.
Any issues that you faced with this model? Apart from the DVD slot is there anything that is missing on this device compared to the 7" model?
What was the total cost for you including the customs?
Could you install it with no hiccups by just following the graaja's DIY instructions?
How is the call quality with the microphone on this?

Please share detailed review.

Last edited by manson : 2nd January 2016 at 15:49. Reason: Please avoid back to back posts by using the edit tab whilst posting within an interval of 20 minutes.
Anashku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 16:11   #92
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anashku View Post
graaja thanks for detailing so much about this product.
I am planning to book this product and I would let to get all the necessary equipment and get it fixed once for all.

Have you made that FM connection while connecting the reverse camera? Did you get time to test the FM reception quality again?

If by any change did you come across a good camera which does not need calibration?
Yes. I made the antenna power connection while connecting the reverse camera. The radio reception is excellent now. I am able to receive all the stations that I receive in the Jetta. And the sound is very clean too.

I searched AliExpress for cameras without guidelines, but could not find any at a lower cost. If you go for the flip camera that retrofits into the boot release logo, this camera has the option to disable the guidelines, but that one costs near 17K!

Quote:
I am looking for an external mic. Please provide link or model details about the pioneer mic?
I have ordered a mic from the below link.

External Microphone for Pioneer Radio Receiver

I plan to place this mic into the new cabin light assembly that has a mic slot.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 17:34   #93
BHPian

Quote:
I searched AliExpress for cameras without guidelines, but could not find any at a lower cost. If you go for the flip camera that retrofits into the boot release logo, this camera has the option to disable the guidelines, but that one costs near 17K!
I feel what Anashku enquired is that whether there are any cameras available which will give the correct guidelines automatically and we need not do such calibration? Actually the calibration you did is beyond the understanding limit of me. Too much of a task.

I remember reading in one of your threads somewhere that you took this reverse camera because you didn't want to drill a hole or something like that(which is otherwise required in most of the cameras), and hence this new camera you installed is a bit offset, right ?
petrol_power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 17:48   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
I feel what Anashku enquired is that whether there are any cameras available which will give the correct guidelines automatically and we need not do such calibration? Actually the calibration you did is beyond the understanding limit of me. Too much of a task.

I remember reading in one of your threads somewhere that you took this reverse camera because you didn't want to drill a hole or something like that(which is otherwise required in most of the cameras), and hence this new camera you installed is a bit offset, right ?
True. Calibrating the guidelines is a bit complicated.

There are so many parameters like height the camera is mounted, angle of the camera and the focal length of the camera to get the right guidelines. I doubt if you will find any off the shelf camera that will have exactly matching guidelines.

Given this situation, there are only two options.

Option 1: Make custom guidelines for the car (that is what manufacturers will do for OE fitted cameras). In fact, someone with android programming skills could even do dynamic guidelines that predict the car's trajectory based on steering wheel angle (found in high end cars). Hoping to learn android programming to do this subject to availability of time

Option-2: Live with the guidelines provided by the camera and study how the lines are related to actual surroundings and use your judgement while using the guidelines.

EDIT:

Option 3: For Polo GT TSi users, if you go with the same camera I have installed, I can provide you with the .apk file that needs to be replaced in the systems folder with the disclaimer "do it at your own risk".

Last edited by graaja : 2nd January 2016 at 17:49.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 12:26   #95
BHPian

Quote:

Jamsukh, This sounds like a great idea to get the internet to the system. A prepaid sim which can be loaded with data when needed will make life simple.
Please share some more info on the 3G dongle installation, where can i buy this? Where exactly does this dongle fit in?
Hello Anakshu, yes one can fully utilize the potential of the system with the internet enabled on it. While wifi hotspot creation on the cell phone is one way to connect, it is often found to be expensive depending on the data plan.

Hence I have connected Tata Photon+ EVDO Dongle which simply connects to the USB port of the Android HU (where one connects the USB external drives for playing music). Likewise you can connect any USB based 3G/4G/EVDO dongle of any telecom provider.

Step 1: To enable the dongle functionality one needs to first Root the system. Details of the same are provided in the previous posts.

Step 2: You need to download a widget called as "PPP Widget 2" from the Google playstore.

Step 3: Install the widget on the HU desktop and connect the dongle to the usb port.

Step 4: Go in configure and setup the username, password & dialup number as given by the service provider.

Step 5: Just go ahead and click on connect. It will ask you to accept the T&Cs and post that you can use the internet on your HU.

(I don't have the screenshots readily available. However if required do let me know and will take them for illustrative purpose)

Quote:
Have installed the following Pioneer Mic (Pioneer CD-VM1):

Name:  Screen Shot 20160103 at 12.08.46 PM.png
Views: 2480
Size:  439.0 KB

The quality of the mic is very decent.
Jamsukh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 18:05   #96

Quote:
True. Calibrating the guidelines is a bit complicated.

There are so many parameters like height the camera is mounted, angle of the camera and the focal length of the camera to get the right guidelines. I doubt if you will find any off the shelf camera that will have exactly matching guidelines.
As mentioned by petrol_power I was looking for a camera which does not need calibration. If there is slight difference it should not be a problem.

Any problem with getting a camera which needs drilling? That way, we will have lot of options I believe. Not sure if that will have any impact on the warranty.

Quote:

Hence I have connected Tata Photon+ EVDO Dongle which simply connects to the USB port of the Android HU (where one connects the USB external drives for playing music). Likewise you can connect any USB based 3G/4G/EVDO dongle of any telecom provider.

Have installed the following Pioneer Mic (Pioneer CD-VM1):

Attachment 1456107

The quality of the mic is very decent.
Thanks for detailing the steps. I prefer not to drain my mobile with hotspot, hence will go for the dongle.
I had overlooked it mentioned supports "external" USB dongle and had assumed it needs some internal connection.

graaja and Jamsukh, Address my below concern.

Quote:
I would like to know if any of you faced software glitches with this android device.
Is there any sort of lag while performing any action? System getting hug, random reboots or becoming slow due to lots of application running?
I am allergic to lags on devices I use frequently, hence its a deal breaker for me it there is lag. I understand it needs some boot up time but post that, no lags or glitches?
Anashku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 19:12   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am allergic to lags on devices I use frequently, hence its a deal breaker for me it there is lag. I understand it needs some boot up time but post that, no lags or glitches?
I have used the HU for listening to music (using the stock music app and PowerAmp), radio, telephone, reverse camera and navigation. I have not noticed any lag in any of these operations. These are very smooth.

Just today, I have started playing with a Bluetooth OBD II adaptor and Torque app, and have not noticed any lags with this as well.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 20:53   #98
BHPian

Quote:

Well I use a custom ROM downloaded from XDA forum. Yes startup time is long. Very rarely I would have come across significant lag time. For basic software such as the players, google map, torque, etc I have not noticed any lag. In the end it is Android hence as time progresses and with increased usage, increased resident running apps dont be surprised if it might slow down. But that said it surely is not a deal breaker as can be cleaned up to work as fast when new.

If you are going with the 2Gb RAM version I doubt you might face issues.
Jamsukh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 12:18   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks patron for sharing info about this device
Now I am confused which model to buy, 2GB ram sounds like a better option for an android device.

I have some questions with this.
Any issues that you faced with this model? Apart from the DVD slot is there anything that is missing on this device compared to the 7" model?
What was the total cost for you including the customs?
Could you install it with no hiccups by just following the graaja's DIY instructions?
How is the call quality with the microphone on this?

Please share detailed review.
This is different from graaja's unit. The android box comes as a separate unit and the HU as a separate unit. I find this very convenient. When I want to update or install anything, I just connect the android box to my monitor with an HDMI cable along with a mouse and keyboard and I have fully functional Android desktop version to play around with. Once done, I just connect it back to the HU. The android box is the size of a standard 2.5" portable hard drive and sits comfortably in the glove box. Will post pics soon.

The total landing cost is approx. 26k with around 2.2k customs and handling costs. I had to literally bargain with the customs officer and got about 1500 to 2000 "discount" .

The unit comes with a microphone. The build quality of the same is very high quality and apparently the voice quality is much better than the stock HU.

More details with the pics shortly.
patron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 16:38   #100
BHPian

Quote:

More details with the pics shortly.
I am looking forward to more details :thumbup:

I am getting delivery of my Polo by January end or February. The first thing after a tyre change is going to be the HU.

Right now I am in divided between the 7" or 8" HU. The 7" HU looks stock but 8" has the hardware going for it. Also cost wise 8" HU seems to be cheaper. Is my understanding wrong?

A question to graaja and frankmehta, why did you choose the 7" over the 8" one? I hope your answers with patron's review helps to choose between the two options.

Hope a third option doesn't come up by then! :what:
Old 5th January 2016, 21:05   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavd View Post
A question to graaja and frankmehta, why did you choose the 7" over the 8" one? I hope your answers with patron's review helps to choose between the two options.
Initially, I had shortlisted the RCD510 that Gannu installed in his GT TDi and the 7" HU Frank had installed in his TSi.

When I finalized the Android HU due to the higher features (and lack of CAN based reverse parking sensors in the GT TSi), I did check for other Android HU's in AliExpress. But the other HU's (including the 8" one) had very few orders and feedback, while the 7" one had the most number of orders and the highest rating, many of them from India. So, I went ahead with the 7" one as I considered it to be a safer bet. No other technical reason for the choice.
Old 5th January 2016, 21:37   #102

I too went ahead and booked the 7" inch model as a safe bet and it has stock OE looks.

The 8" model comes with separate android box. I prefer no external connections to my HU(personal preference) not even inside the glove box. Its on expensive side.
OE looks - Not much

Only 2gb ram is major thing in favour of 8" device IMO. 1 inch size difference shouldn't matter so much.
Anashku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 23:01   #103
BHPian

Quick pic. Will add more with details.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-1452015047372.jpg  

patron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 01:17   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick pic. Will add more with details.
I guess thats the 8inch one? Some more details please, Looks huge (In a good way though) Also from where did you purchase it from? Some more pictures please, Hope i am not asking a lot
Old 6th January 2016, 07:18   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I guess thats the 8inch one? Some more details please, Looks huge (In a good way though) Also from where did you purchase it from? Some more pictures please, Hope i am not asking a lot
Tanveer,

The details of the model are in one of my previous posts. I am not getting a chance to use the car and couldn't get pictures. Will do it before this weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks