Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2016, 20:42   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Do you mean VLC media player to play videos?
Yes the stock video player is pretty bland, and VLC is very good with equalizers, plus plays all the formats.
Old 15th February 2016, 00:29   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Today, I installed Smart Launcher 3 to check if the screen lock can be activated. But I could not find a way to do this. But one good thing I got out of this exercise is a an organized screen which is also good looking.

Right now, the only solution I can think of is to delete your Google Account before sending the car for service and once back, add it back. As Google sync is quite fast, this exercise should not take much time.
I found an app which actually does lock the entire HU.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oft.next&hl=en

You can continue to use the physical buttons on the HU(to change track, mode etc.) when the screen is locked and nothing else can be done until you unlock it.

This app is made for landscape screen orientation and so it has some limitations on the HU.
> You can use only pattern lock(pin lock cant be configured)
> You can use only 2 rows of the pattern lock.
> It will lock the screen only at the time of boot up and once you unlock you cannot lock it back until you restart the HU.

It works only if you configure in the below way.

Open the app and enable Next lock screen and click on screen lock.
You can also disable the lock anytime here.
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-1.png

Select Next screen lock
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-2.1.png

Select pattern lock
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-2.png

Choose the pattern. Yes 2 rows only you can make your pattern with.
So the combinations are limited.
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-4.png

And during unlock also you can see only 2 rows. Don't panic it lets you unlock. Just swipe down on the lock screen and you can do as below.
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-6.jpg

And here you go.
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-7.jpg

I know its a crude way but I would be using the lock only at the time of service so this serves the purpose for me. One cannot use the system until you unlock it.
I will keep it disabled until I need to lock the HU.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-5.png  

Anashku is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 09:23   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Now i just need to figure out a way to make the VLC work work with steering controls(seems near impossible at this point)
Thanks to this .. I tried installing VLC on my headunit. It works and it is better infact than even poweramp interms of user interface.

I got the steering wheel controls to work. I had used this app always even to control poweramp. This can simulate media keys and can control any player app that accepts these broadcasts. It even works with apple music too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ows.mtcservice

Additional feature that can be useful is speed dependent volume.
Old 18th February 2016, 14:45   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasain View Post
Thanks to this .. I tried installing VLC on my headunit. It works and it is better infact than even poweramp interms of user interface.

I got the steering wheel controls to work. I had used this app always even to control poweramp. This can simulate media keys and can control any player app that accepts these broadcasts. It even works with apple music too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ows.mtcservice

Additional feature that can be useful is speed dependent volume.
Thanks I have the app for 3188 installed, let me check with this app also.

Yes VLC is a brilliant app, wonder why don't these guys give this as default out of box.

Speed dependent volume I will have to check maybe I need to do some read around as the car launcher I am using display speeds using GPS, so need to see if we can work around with that.
Old 18th February 2016, 17:03   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Speed dependent volume I will have to check maybe I need to do some read around as the car launcher I am using display speeds using GPS, so need to see if we can work around with that.
I meant this app that i have mentioned also supports speed dependent volume. You can even customize at which speeds that volume increases and by how much.
sivasain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 20:56   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi, does this app support "pause on mute" function? When you press the mute button on the steering wheel, the song being played should also pause instead of continuing to play while only the audio gets muted.
Old 18th February 2016, 21:07   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I meant this app that i have mentioned also supports speed dependent volume. You can even customize at which speeds that volume increases and by how much.
Thanks mate will download and check this app, the rk3188 is very basic.

Last edited by AtheK : 18th February 2016 at 21:15.
Old 18th February 2016, 23:18   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

So i just tested , RK3066 app does not work with RK3188 based systems. It does auto launch VLC but none of the controls work. The developer has put in lot of effort on the 3066 app, but kept the 3188 to basic. I am not complaining as i can still get the power amp to work. Even with power amp only the forward button works, when i press the reverse it pauses the music(Though the track changes to previous). Guess i can live with that easily.

PS: Mods was not able to edit my post above, as it was not giving me the permission, hence a new post.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 10:12   #159
BHPian

Quote:
So i just tested , RK3066 app does not work with RK3188 based systems. It does auto launch VLC but none of the controls work. The developer has put in lot of effort on the 3066 app, but kept the 3188 to basic. I am not complaining as i can still get the power amp to work. Even with power amp only the forward button works, when i press the reverse it pauses the music(Though the track changes to previous). Guess i can live with that easily.

That is strange. Mine is a QuadCore 3188 based Joying branded headunit. and this works completely. Can you ensure there are no other conflicting apps that you may have installed ? Have you put any custom ROM ? Android version is 4.4 ?
Old 19th February 2016, 10:55   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is strange. Mine is a QuadCore 3188 based Joying branded headunit. and this works completely. Can you ensure there are no other conflicting apps that you may have installed ? Have you put any custom ROM ? Android version is 4.4 ?
Well i just have poweramp and VLC isntalled, funny enough even Poweramp did not work, although there is an option to select poweramp. I have some Ownice brand. No custom ROM and android version is 4.4.

Let's see if someone else is able to get it running.
Old 25th February 2016, 20:39   #161
BHPian

I have ordered this Android-based head unit and it's on its way. Will post an update here once I get and install it. I plan to do the install myself thanks to Graaja's detailed instructions.

Has anyone here tried this unit? The reviews on AliExpress all seem good. I opted for this since I never use the optical drive and prefer USB mass storage instead. It has a more "after-market" look than the other units here but I hope the red back-light will help it in blending in. I will miss the physical controls (esp. volume knob) and dedicated buttons present in the other units which folks here have bought. The steering mounted controls should help. On the other hand I like the full-touch seamless face - less dust accumulation. Also the price of this unit is quite less compared to the others and I am on a tight budget. If navigation works well, the interface is smooth and stable and I can install many apps then I am happy.

I had initially planned on getting this but dropped the idea since the sellers themselves didn't have much information about it (it seems like a new entrant into the market) and hardly any units were sold and no reviews at all. I was also skeptical about heating issues since this one doesn't have a fan and is quite thin at the back.
sanspatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 07:56   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well i just have poweramp and VLC isntalled, funny enough even Poweramp did not work, although there is an option to select poweramp. I have some Ownice brand. No custom ROM and android version is 4.4.

Let's see if someone else is able to get it running.
I have the Car Service app installed on my HU.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=53678587

It works well with PowerAmp. It auto launches PowerAmp on startup and has "Pause on Mute" function. The only irritant is it takes quite some time to start up. Music starts playing about 60 seconds after you turn on the car.

This does not work with the Malaysk firmware though, only with the stock firmware.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 23:27   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
I have ordered this Android-based head unit and it's on its way. Will post an update here once I get and install it. I plan to do the install myself thanks to Graaja's detailed instructions.
I just wanted to chime in to say I got this unit on Monday and installed it yesterday. Though the seller had insisted its a plug 'n play replacement unfortunately it wasn't so. The three-way cabling (HU - CanBus - Car) had the wrong one for the Car end - it was for the one that is a drop-in replacement had I had the RCD 510. Luckily the seller had supplied the ISO connector with harness so I had to cut out the RCD 510 type connector or the quad connector (sorry I don't know the correct name) and solder the ISO connector for ALL the wires

The threads from Graaja and Gannu (RCD 510) helped me immensely in figuring out the connections and I was able to successfully rewire the new connector!

Few corrections of the ISO cable connector from my experience and Gannu's thread (it may help someone trying this). @Graaja, I have taken the liberty to borrow your picture - I hope that's fine!
Attached Thumbnails
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-main-cable-modified.jpg  

sanspatil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 20:21   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anashku View Post
I found an app which actually does lock the entire HU.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oft.next&hl=en

This app is made for landscape screen orientation and so it has some limitations on the HU.
I tried this app and ran into a big problem. For some reason on my Android head unit (8" full touch, no DVD) the lock screen doesn't display on the screen. When I swipe down the lock screen pattern input goes off completely below the screen so there is no way to unlock the unit
I thought I had to factory reset and loose all configuration but luckily the Next lock screen app takes a while to load on boot and this gave me a window of opportunity to quickly go into app settings, force stop, and uninstall it! Classic case of a convenient loophole

So I suggest caution in using this app (and enabling the locking option) on any HU but the one being used by Graaja and others. I didn't try the pin lock option so I didn't know if this suffers the same problem.

So now regarding issue of locking when giving for service I was thinking of just having a hidden switch at the back of the unit which we can use to power off the system i.e. run the yellow (Battery+) wire through a switch. I think we may be able to place the switch such that it should be accessible from the back of the DIN cage. What do others feel about this?

Or given the loophole of the Next screen lock app it can still be used but it's a dangerous option!
sanspatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 22:45   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Can these Android head units accept 2 video inputs? Say cameras front and back?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks