Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2016, 06:23   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Can these Android head units accept 2 video inputs? Say cameras front and back?
The HU has one video input for reverse camera that automatically switches on reverse gear, and there was one more video input which I have not used. So not sure about how this second video input is used.

There is a feature mentioned in the HU's web page that the HU can work as a DVR and record video from a camera to the maps SD card. I do not know if this recording is done on the second Video input or with a camera connected to the USB port.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 10:57   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The HU has one video input for reverse camera that automatically switches on reverse gear, and there was one more video input which I have not used. So not sure about how this second video input is used.

There is a feature mentioned in the HU's web page that the HU can work as a DVR and record video from a camera to the maps SD card. I do not know if this recording is done on the second Video input or with a camera connected to the USB port.
The camera works off the USB I guess - seen on some of the models on AE. The other video input can be used for the front cam I suppose, if there is a dedicated rear view cam input. Will clear the specifics with the seller, thanks!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 19:41   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Can these Android head units accept 2 video inputs? Say cameras front and back?
Yes, my unit has two AUX video inputs. One for the reverse camera which comes on when the car is put into reverse gear. The other is shown when a pre-installed app called "AUX" is launched.

I wanted to check how the other unit's folks here are using behave with respect to powering and illumination.
  1. Does your unit remember it's last power state? For instance if the unit was powered off when you last pulled the key out does it still power on when you start your car next? Mine is always powering on.
  2. Does your powered on unit (in ACC position) reboot when you crank the engine from the ACC position of the key? Mine mostly reboots which is a pain and rarely the screen turns off and just turns back on which is what I want always.
  3. If the unit is powered off and you put on the parking lights does the back-light for the buttons glow? Mine never glow if the unit is off and always glow when the unit is on. So effectively at night I have to hunt for the power button to turn it on!
My unit has B+, ACC and ILL wires but only the B+ is connected since my car (2016 pre-facelift) does not have leads in the connector for ACC and ILL. I am guessing some of the issues I am seeing above is due to this and the fact that the included CanBus decoder isn't doing its job correctly?
sanspatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 21:20   #169
BHPian

Quote:

I have a USB camera connected to my head unit acting as a DVR. Got th camera along with the head unit from Carjoying.com

Sometimes the recording does not start automatically. But I set it to auto launch so that I manually press record in case it did not auto start.
sivasain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 21:59   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasain View Post
I have a USB camera connected to my head unit acting as a DVR. Got the camera along with the head unit from Carjoying.com
How is the camera fixed? Is it using suction cup to the windshield? How is the quality of video from this camera? And what is the angle of coverage? Can you post sample clips for recordings done during daylight and night?
Old 19th March 2016, 13:17   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasain View Post
One tip that you may find useful. I installed and stuck the GPS antenna on top of the glovebox and below the dashboard. I did not like the GPS antenna visible on the dashboard. There is no issue in GPS reception. It still shows 80% strenght for nearest sattelites.
GPS antenna in my car is stuck on the dashboard. My BIL tried sticking GPS antenna beneath dashboard of his Terrano, had to remove it because of poor signal. We seems to have working example here. You must you have seen my earlier request, would you be able to share a picture or give some more details as in where exactly receiver is placed? Hope it's not much of an inconvenience to you

Quote:
In fact, someone with android programming skills could even do dynamic guidelines that predict the car's trajectory based on steering wheel angle (found in high end cars). Hoping to learn android programming to do this subject to availability of time
You mean this:

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-final.jpg

I am getting this from day one the moment I slot into reverse gear. Fact that you are using same HU shouldn't you be getting dynamic lines over the reverse camera feed ?

Quote:
For Polo GT TSi users, if you go with the same camera I have installed, I can provide you with the .apk file that needs to be replaced in the systems folder with the disclaimer "do it at your own risk".
I received my cam this week. I am travelling next few days, will be installing the cam only next month.
That said, can't thank you enough for providing the .apk file. Highly appreciate all the hard work you put in and being generous enough to share the file

Quote:
Installed Xposed Framework and Maxlock. Works great. Now I have locked critical functions like Settings, Gmail, PlayStore etc. Whenever I open any of these, the HU shows a keypad to enter a PIN and the application opens only on entering the PIN. MaxLock also has other types of locks like Password and Pattern. I haven't tried them though.

Thanks a lot for this information. I will edit the thread and add information about MaxLock and AppLock in the beginning of the thread so that new users will have the information at the beginning of the thread without having to search.
AppLock didn't work. Did anybody else get it working? You just don't see the OK button from the main screen to proceed, not sure if this particular HU or stock firmware.
Once I root the HU I will be installing Maxlock.

Last edited by BlueEyes : 19th March 2016 at 13:23.
BlueEyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 09:54   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
GPS antenna in my car is stuck on the dashboard. My BIL tried sticking GPS antenna beneath dashboard of his Terrano, had to remove it because of poor signal. We seems to have working example here. You must you have seen my earlier request, would you be able to share a picture or give some more details as in where exactly receiver is placed? Hope it's not much of an inconvenience to you
I am interested in this as well. Right now I have the GPS antenna on the dashboard but I haven't stuck it yet. I was planning to move it below the dashboard. May be stick it on the underside of the dashboard but I am not sure if the correct side has to face the sky. If I stick it on the underside then the back of the antenna will be pointing to the sky.
Old 14th April 2016, 16:50   #173

So I finally bought this (after umpteen problems with the RCD320) for my new Vento TSI. Here are some images of the box and the unpacking.

I've never really been a DIY guy before, but I'm willing to give a shot thanks to the awesome posts by @graaja, @fuzail and @AtheK. More pics of the install to follow!
Attached Thumbnails
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-20160414-13.53.26.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-20160414-13.57.35.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-20160414-13.58.18.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-20160414-13.58.42.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-20160414-13.59.58.jpg  

SlashingAx is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 12:45   #174
BHPian

Hi, this looks like dream come true. Can someone please confirm if this unit will work on 2010-2011 model Vento

I had replace my OEM RCD300 model with RCD320 and have had many issue with its backlight still not working. Has anyone installed this on older models, please help me if it would be a plug and play or would require a longer confusing processes.

Thanks a ton,
Nitesh
Old 21st April 2016, 16:28   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
Hi, this looks like dream come true. Can someone please confirm if this unit will work on 2010-2011 model Vento

I had replace my OEM RCD300 model with RCD320 and have had many issue with its backlight still not working. Has anyone installed this on older models, please help me if it would be a plug and play or would require a longer confusing processes.

Thanks a ton,
Nitesh
If you already have a RCD320 in your car, then the cable should be the same as in Polo, and hence yours should also be plug and play, as I have described in the DIY steps.
Old 21st April 2016, 16:51   #176
BHPian

Thanks, my default player was RCD300, I upgraded to RCD320 and it is not fully functional.

Quote:
If you already have a RCD320 in your car, then the cable should be the same as in Polo, and hence yours should also be plug and play, as I have described in the DIY steps.
Old 21st April 2016, 22:04   #177

Quote:
Thanks, my default player was RCD300, I upgraded to RCD320 and it is not fully functional.
In that case you will have to do extra wiring to make it fully functional. The steering wheel controls and CANBUS will require some work.
Old 23rd April 2016, 01:41   #178
BHPian

Thanks. Any idea if this canbus converter from aliexpress is enough for upgrading from RCD300 tp this android unit or RCD510.

If someone has used this product successfully then please let me know. Thanks a ton.

Upgrade Canbus Adapter Quadlock Conversion Cable For VW /Volkswagen Golf VI Jetta 5 6 MK5 MK6 Passat B6 RCD300 RCD310 RCD510
http://s.aliexpress.com/MNVbMFbm
(from AliExpress Android)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashingAx View Post
In that case you will have to do extra wiring to make it fully functional. The steering wheel controls and CANBUS will require some work.
Old 23rd April 2016, 19:44   #179
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a ton,
Nitesh
Hi Nitesh,

I assume your car does not have steering wheel remote either. You can install most android systems without the can bus adaptor. Your car does have a can bus wire going to the head unit. Instead it will have acc and illum wires. You will have trouble activated the reverse camera. That can be solved by pulling a wire from the reverse light.

Here is the wiring diagram for my head unit. They are all build without consideration for can bus. What the external can bus box does is provide the illum, reverse, acc signalling.

Reds
Siva
Old 4th May 2016, 13:32   #180
BHPian

hi,

I am almost sold on this, just a few questions.

1. My car is a 2013 model Comfortline Polo, so I understand some inputs might not be applicable for me (i.e. steering controls et al), and that is fine. What I am not sure is if I would need any splicing/joining, or if it is a straight fit.

2. How are the USB inputs accessed for this? They are on the back, so how are they used for regular attachment/detachment of pen drives?

3. After buying from AliExpress, how is the customs duty paid? Do we have to go down somewhere or is it a simple online payment/even better, payment while delivering?

4. The stock electrical supply is sufficient for this, or does this put additional load on the battery?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks