Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2016, 05:17   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
@graaja: have a question for you, i got the Parking camera and have received a sensor which then fits with the camera to give the distance. Could you please let me know if you also received a separate unit and if yes, where did you install it.
No. I got only the parking camera, not the sensor. Can you post a picture of the camera and sensor and also the link from where you bought this?
Old 14th January 2016, 05:49   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
No. I got only the parking camera, not the sensor. Can you post a picture of the camera and sensor and also the link from where you bought this?
http://s.aliexpress.com/QRVFFNFf

This is the one I got, the secind picture in the gallery shows a sensor and a camera and how they are connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-1452730747694.jpg  

Last edited by AtheK : 14th January 2016 at 05:50.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 06:19   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
http://s.aliexpress.com/QRVFFNFf

This is the one I got, the second picture in the gallery shows a sensor and a camera and how they are connected.
From the pictures it looks like the sensor connects to the camera using the connector, and the camera combines both the sensor input and the image from camera and creates the video with distance markers.

Still you need to know the proper orientation of mounting the sensor and camera for accurate measurements. I would suggest you write to the vendor asking for detailed installation instructions. Usually, they have a word document they send by email. Also, the page mentions about changing reference line position. Ask them for the procedure for this as well. This will help in tuning the reference line to your car and camera position.
Old 14th January 2016, 06:27   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From the pictures it looks like the sensor connects to the camera using the connector, and the camera combines both the sensor input and the image from camera and creates the video with distance markers.

Still you need to know the proper orientation of mounting the sensor and camera for accurate measurements. I would suggest you write to the vendor asking for detailed installation instructions. Usually, they have a word document they send by email. Also, the page mentions about changing reference line position. Ask them for the procedure for this as well. This will help in tuning the reference line to your car and camera position.
Thanks will do so, I am just wondering if I will have to drill two holes for the sensor to work, or need to place it somewhere else, because if I have to drill two holes I will just use the camera and use the beeps to park.
Old 23rd January 2016, 14:11   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsukh View Post
Thanks Frank this has indeed made life much simpler and increased the endless flexibility of the Android Unit. With the SuperUser access provided I downloaded the "PPP 2" Widget app by which I could configure and connect the Tata Photon and surf the internet on the Android unit by connecting the dongle to the USB port. With this the battery and internet bill of my mobile phone will be in check!

If anyone is interested to know about the Internet Dongle installation I can post the screenshots and procedure for the same.
hi Jamsukh,
I have tried installing the photon dongle with ppp 2 and superuser access, but no success. Can you please help with the steps you have used.
Scorp72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 12:20   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp72 View Post
hi Jamsukh,
I have tried installing the photon dongle with ppp 2 and superuser access, but no success. Can you please help with the steps you have used.
Hope you tried out the following steps:

Step 1: To enable the dongle functionality one needs to first Root the system. Details of the same are provided in the previous posts.

Step 2: You need to download a widget called as "PPP Widget 2" from the Google playstore.

Step 3: Install the widget on the HU desktop and connect the dongle to the usb port.

Step 4: Go in configure and setup the username, password & dialup number as given by the service provider.

Step 5: Just go ahead and click on connect. It will ask you to accept the T&Cs and post that you can use the internet on your HU.

Please let me know at which step are you stuck and facing an issue.
Jamsukh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 12:36   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Volkmann View Post
Hello fello Bhpians,

Will this HU be a direct plug and play in my car or will it need any modifications?
Hello Volkmann,

I just sold my RCD320 to someone and helped him install it as well. Your system is an RCD300 If I am right. The problem is that There is no Canbus connected to this wiring harness. So you need to pull the Canbus from Climate Control or BCM.

Without CANBus the android unit will not turn on, detect Illumunation, reverse etc.

Also request the vendor to send ISO Harness. I burnt my Amp because of that mistake.

rgds
Siva
sivasain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 09:38   #128
BHPian

Re: Android based HU for VW cars

Quote:

Fix the antenna to the dashboard using the provided 3M adhesive tape.
Attachment 1438148

Graaja. This is a great DIY thread. I was so inspired by this thread that I installed android headunit myself 4 weeks ago. Thank you so much.

One tip that you may find useful. I installed and stuck the GPS antenna on top of the glovebox and below the dashboard. I did not like the GPS antenna visible on the dashboard. There is no issue in GPS reception. It still shows 80% strenght for nearest sattelites.

I have not rooted it yet. I am yet to install the reverse camera. I loved your DIY on customizing the guides. I have to check if my unit can be rooted as well. (My unit is from Carjoying.com)

I have a couple of questions regarding rear camera installation.

1. Why cant the cable be routed under the carpet by the side of of the door trims ?
2. To power the camera, my head unit has an output. Can i run the camera power cable all the way to the head unit ? I saw you connected it to the reverse bulb.

thanks in advance.
sivasain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 14:24   #129
BHPian

Quote:
No I did not get the android box.
Can you please share the link from where you have bought it?
Old 30th January 2016, 15:15   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavd View Post
Can you please share the link from where you have bought it?
1024*600 Quad Core Android 4.4 Car DVD Volkswagen VW Tiguan Polo Golf Passat Jetta Car GPS Navigation Radio 2G RAM + 16GB ROM
http://s.aliexpress.com/bM3UrAnm
(from AliExpress Android)

Above is the link, but it is showing too expensive now, I got it for some 310 + shipping. You can hunt around for similar models but at cheaper price.
Old 30th January 2016, 17:24   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp72 View Post
Hi Scorp,

What I did was buy a simple USB 3G Wifi Dongle (About INR 2K) and plug it into the Lighter Socket.

http://www.amazon.in/Huawei-Power-Fi-E8231-Enabled-White/dp/B00I07U3LG

It provides Wifi for the Android head unit and also to iPad and iPod touch that my Wife & Son carry.

It eliminates the hassle of configuring the head unit and reduces delay because the connection is ready by the time the head unit boots up.
sivasain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:43   #132
BHPian

Quote:

1. The system is only WiFi ready. You will need a dongle for Wifi. If you want to use navigation, you will need internet access.
Hi Ganesh, I do not think I will ever browse the internet on the HU. I only want it to serve the basic purpose of an HU i.e. Radio, Audio, Navigation & Blue tooth (with phone book display and dialing from the screen). I guess Navigation is offline in this HU, which also is the case with all HUs with navigation. Only the Android HU gives the option of Online navigation IMO. But my requirements will be served even with offline navigation.

Quote:

The mic is inbuilt and is located on the left side of the HU. This is for left hand drive cars. For our right hand side cars, the mic will be a little farther from the driver and may not have a good pickup. If the quality of mic reception is not good, you will have to go for an external mic.
yes i have factored that. In case the mic doesn't serve its purpose then will get the additional mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzail View Post
I have installed this HU in my Polo ,bought from the same link. I did the DIY myself.
After operating the HU ,my initial reaction was WOW. Radio works very well,Navigation is superb,Connects to my Iphone very well and the call quality over BT is excellent. The Video Playback is superb. Total Cost incurred is 10800+4612(customs) = 15412. fitting cost ZERO. I am attaching the photos to help in your decision making process.

Edit: I have the latest map installed i.e. 2015 Q2. Map Supplied is 2014Q3. You Don't need internet for Navigation. HERE Maps are preinstalled on 8GB MicroSD card.
Hey Fuzail, thanks for all your pics and details. Just wanted to know where have you placed the USB. I believe this HU doesn't have the option of USB mounted on the HU and you have to take the cable from behind the HU to place it either on glove box or mount it somewhere in the car Dash.

If i am not wrong, then even the android HU doesn't have the option of USB mounted on HU.
MadAbtCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:36   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post

Hey Fuzail, thanks for all your pics and details. Just wanted to know where have you placed the USB. I believe this HU doesn't have the option of USB mounted on the HU and you have to take the cable from behind the HU to place it either on glove box or mount it somewhere in the car Dash.

If i am not wrong, then even the android HU doesn't have the option of USB mounted on HU.
I have placed the cable in the glove box,through the side after removing the opening provided
Old 4th February 2016, 00:24   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks graaja and everybody else for the wonderful thread with the detailed information.

Looking at this thread, I am also tempted to order a similar headunit for my Maruti SX4 (I found a nice 8" unit on aliexpress for SX4).

However, one part I am worried about is the lack of any system lock or password protection. The vendor confirmed that the firmware does not allow screen lock or password settings like phones do. This means that everytime I give my car to service centers or valet parking, I would be worried about them accessing my google account.

Is there a way around? There exist some apps that allow password protection for selected apps, but I am not sure if they will work here if the firmware itself does not have the main lock function. I mean, I am not sure if these apps depend on android screen lock function, which seem to be missing from these HUs for some mysterious reasons.

What do you guys think? What are your suggestions/experience in this?

Thanks again for all the extremely useful and inspirational information!
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 15:57   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Thanks graaja and everybody else for the wonderful thread with the detailed information.

Looking at this thread, I am also tempted to order a similar headunit for my Maruti SX4 (I found a nice 8" unit on aliexpress for SX4).

However, one part I am worried about is the lack of any system lock or password protection. The vendor confirmed that the firmware does not allow screen lock or password settings like phones do. This means that everytime I give my car to service centers or valet parking, I would be worried about them accessing my google account.

Is there a way around? There exist some apps that allow password protection for selected apps, but I am not sure if they will work here if the firmware itself does not have the main lock function. I mean, I am not sure if these apps depend on android screen lock function, which seem to be missing from these HUs for some mysterious reasons.

What do you guys think? What are your suggestions/experience in this?

Thanks again for all the extremely useful and inspirational information!
This is one issue for which I am still searching for a solution. Today, I installed Smart Launcher 3 to check if the screen lock can be activated. But I could not find a way to do this. But one good thing I got out of this exercise is a an organized screen which is also good looking.

Right now, the only solution I can think of is to delete your Google Account before sending the car for service and once back, add it back. As Google sync is quite fast, this exercise should not take much time.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks