Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2015, 09:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI

Hi Graaja,

Good Job!

The user interface definitely looks good. As for the niggles I'm sure there would be software updates.

Keep sharing your user experiences.
Old 13th November 2015, 10:57   #17
BHPian

Re: Android based HU for VW cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
It does not even allow to select a particular song from the album.
Apparently, it does allow you to select a particular song.
Try this; when a track is being played and when you are looking at this screen below(image taken from your post) do a gentle sweep on the screen from right to left, then it will list out all the tracks from that particular album

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-graaja-hu.jpg

Quote:
Using the search icon, you can type and search for contacts, once the desired contact is selected, the phone icon initiates the call, and the sync icon synchronizes with the phone directory.
I am just not able to get this work, not sure what I am missing here. Perhaps I don't have the latest firmware. Kindly post a snap from Settings - About Machine, let me check if I have the latest one. I have also written to the seller about this.
Could you please comment on phone button on the steering wheel. Are you able to answer/make outgoing calls? It does pop up dail pad when I press the button but doesn't disconnect the call.
And finally, thank you so much for writing down all the details of this Android HU. I think it's appropriate you should know that there are so many users(members/non members) benefiting from this DIY thread of yours. Great job
BlueEyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 11:00   #18
BHPian

Hi Graaja,

Do you have google apps included - Playstore, Gmail etc? If not, why not install it and replace the default music player (mixzing player, MX player, navigation...). If playstore is not available already, it is fairly straight forward.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2689355

Very tempted to place the order for my Rapid...
patron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 12:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Some more screenshots to augment what gRaaja said.

You can choose the app that will open with the NAVI button on the head unit.
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-screenshot_20151113121518.png

The Polo and Vento now DO NOT come with OPS sensors. Which means that the music volume does NOT get lowered in the stock head unit to make way for the sensor sound when the car is put into reverse gear. This unit changes that. You can decide whether you want audio completely off when the sensors are on, or attenuated to various levels you want!
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-screenshot_20151113121527.png
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-screenshot_20151113121531.png

ANDDDDDDD..... DRUMMROOOLLLLLLLLL
We have root access!! Thanks JAMSUKH
IF we all thought that the possibilities of having an Android head unit are endless, wait till you own a ROOTED ANDROID DEVICE!!

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-screenshot_20151113121559.png
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-screenshot_20151113121319.png
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-screenshot_20151113121329.png

Thanks Jamsukh for this trick:
Goto factory settings and instead of typing 126 type
*#hct#root#

Easy as pie!
frankmehta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 14:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding Bluetooth mic, the system does not have internal mic. This is mentioned in the product page. It only takes external mic.

Attachment 1438943

I too found the voice quality of the supplied mic to be choppy, but is manageable for the very rare phone calls I (or my wife) make while driving. I think the voice quality also depends greatly on the internal signal processing. Maybe the internal processing is not great in the HU. That may be the reason why even after upgrading to a better mic, the quality is just acceptable.

Thanks Ganesh for bringing this to my notice. While I do see a hole on the top left side of the HU did not realize that there is no internal mic in it.

With regards to the quality of the Pioneer mic I have installed with the unit, I spoke with Frank today on it and as per him the sound quality is good and much better than the mic the vendor sent. There is no echo of one own's voice heard in it. Though once or twice there was an echo problem which I faced as well but is an one-off case.
Jamsukh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 15:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Some more screenshots to augment what gRaaja said.

You can choose the app that will open with the NAVI button on the head unit.
Attachment 1439054

The Polo and Vento now DO NOT come with OPS sensors. Which means that the music volume does NOT get lowered in the stock head unit to make way for the sensor sound when the car is put into reverse gear. This unit changes that. You can decide whether you want audio completely off when the sensors are on, or attenuated to various levels you want!
Attachment 1439055
Attachment 1439056

IF we all thought that the possibilities of having an Android head unit are endless, wait till you own a ROOTED ANDROID DEVICE!!

Attachment 1439057
Attachment 1439058
Attachment 1439059

Thanks Jamsukh for this trick:
Goto factory settings and instead of typing 126 type
*#hct#root#

Easy as pie!
Thanks Frank this has indeed made life much simpler and increased the endless flexibility of the Android Unit. With the SuperUser access provided I downloaded the "PPP 2" Widget app by which I could configure and connect the Tata Photon and surf the internet on the Android unit by connecting the dongle to the USB port. With this the battery and internet bill of my mobile phone will be in check!

If anyone is interested to know about the Internet Dongle installation I can post the screenshots and procedure for the same.
Old 13th November 2015, 16:02   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Try this; when a track is being played and when you are looking at this screen below(image taken from your post) do a gentle sweep on the screen from right to left, then it will list out all the tracks from that particular album
Excellent find! This makes it a lot better, that I may now stick to the default music player. I need the shuffle and playlist options please

Quote:
I am just not able to get this work, not sure what I am missing here. Perhaps I don't have the latest firmware. Kindly post a snap from Settings - About Machine, let me check if I have the latest one. I have also written to the seller about this.
Could you please comment on phone button on the steering wheel. Are you able to answer/make outgoing calls? It does pop up dail pad when I press the button but doesn't disconnect the call.
Oops. That was a mistake about the search. To search contacts using keyword, use the search text box above the contacts list. The search icon is actually useless. It opens up a matrix type keypad with letters. The moment you press one alphabet, the keypad closes and the contact list is shown for contacts beginning with the selected alphabet.

When there is an incoming call, pressing the phone button on the steering wheel connects the call, and pressing the button again disconnects the call. I haven't tried making an outgoing call yet and hence not sure about the phone button behavior for this.

Quote:
And finally, thank you so much for writing down all the details of this Android HU. I think it's appropriate you should know that there are so many users(members/non members) benefiting from this DIY thread of yours. Great job
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am really glad that this thread is useful to fellow members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Graaja,

Good Job!

The user interface definitely looks good. As for the niggles I'm sure there would be software updates.

Keep sharing your user experiences.
Thank you nitinbose, for the appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Hi Graaja,

Do you have google apps included - Playstore, Gmail etc? If not, why not install it and replace the default music player (mixzing player, MX player, navigation...). If playstore is not available already, it is fairly straight forward.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2689355

Very tempted to place the order for my Rapid...
Hi patron,
Yes. I have Google Play installed. The HU also has Google apps like Gmail, Google Maps etc installed. I also installed "Google Play Music" App as alternate app for music. But as I have explained in one of the posts, the "Previous" and "Next" track selection buttons on the steering wheel does not work with this alternate App. Also, if the car is turned off, the music app does not start automatically (the default app turns on automatically from where it left off)

Quote:
Hi Frank, My limited experience with Android does not extend to root access. Please share any interesting additional features that you unlock using root access.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 16:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Frank, My limited experience with Android does not extend to root access. Please share any interesting additional features that you unlock using root access.
The possibilities are endless. JAMSUKH just activated regular Tata Photon Dongle today. It needed an app that required root. Guys, things are getting very exciting!

We may even be able to use steering controls everywhere, including Saavn and Google Play Music, if we have our way!
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 17:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

The question is not about "may" but how to. I dont have access to this device. However, in there somewhere is a config file that defines the default music player and possibly the input commands through an exposed API that needs to be sent when a hardware switch signal is detected. Do some research and may be you will know soon. Once you identify that it will be a matter of just using that same configurator file to change input commands to target the app of your choice. Now it is entirely possible that the file in question may not be a plain text or xml based file. In that case of course it is a little more messy.

Whatever it is but it should be a very interesting project. Imagine! The ADB switched on and you sitting in your car with a laptop plugged into the device and trying to run through the system files.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 17:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Very likely to happen.
I'm going to try tomorrow.. Once rooted, you never have to worry.
Old 13th November 2015, 17:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android based HU for VW cars

Quote:

Attachment 1438964

Another way of bringing up the playlist in the folder is to press the "menu" button when you're at the screen above.

I've got this installed on my previoous gen Jetta and i am still finding my way around it. Thanks Graaja for the awesome review.
Deeps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 17:16   #27
Team-BHP Support

@frank, if you are going to try that and in case you do not find the file there is an alternate approach you can look at. Delete/Rename the official app so that it is not available for the hidden configurator to call upon. Now put in a custom codebase that traps the incoming switch signal and invokes the right Google Music command. There is an unofficial Python based API available to use with Google Music.
Old 13th November 2015, 17:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

BOYS BOYS BOYS
!!!

WE ARE SO IN FOR A TREAT!

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-screen-shot-20151113-17.24.44.png

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660662
frankmehta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 18:22   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BOYS BOYS BOYS
!!!

WE ARE SO IN FOR A TREAT!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660662
Awesome Frank! I installed the RK3066 Head Unit App, and now I am able to use "Prev" and "Next" keys to go to next and previous tracks in Google Play Music without the default music player barging in. Will play around a little more and provide details.

I have also enabled speed sensitive volume. Not checked this in action yet.

Definitely this opens up lots of options
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 18:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

I drove around with it. And I also downloaded poweramp. Paid for it.
Also, poweramp toast is great. Since you have a small music info cloud (it's called a toast) that comes and goes away during navigation or torque and displays track info.
Also poweramp downloads track info like album art and all.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th November 2015 at 07:17. Reason: Edited as per request
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks