Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2016, 14:31   #106
BHPian

Re: Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI

Hi Ganesh,

I am taking delivery of Skoda Rapid on Friday. First Upgrade on my Mind is the HU. You, Frank and so many have upgraded to the Andriod HU. While browsing through Aliexpress came across two HU's one is the andriod version. Link : http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...977409642.html

The other which caught my attention is actually a copy of of RNS510 and is basically a Windows 6.0 Operating System. Link : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD-7-...840114102.html

The later one has ~1450 orders against it. Most of the reviews are also good. It is priced nearly half of the android one, of-course lot of hardware like RAM, CPU, Screen Resolution etc are of lower specifications as compared to Android HU. However given my Basic requirement of a touchscreen ICE with Navigation. I believe even with the lower specs, it will serve my purpose.

Had you come across the later one while choosing for your HU. What would you suggest out of the two?

Last edited by MadAbtCars : 12th January 2016 at 14:57.
Old 12th January 2016, 17:04   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
Hi Ganesh,
The other which caught my attention is actually a copy of of RNS510 and is basically a Windows 6.0 Operating System. Link : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD-7-...840114102.html

The later one has ~1450 orders against it. Most of the reviews are also good. It is priced nearly half of the android one, of-course lot of hardware like RAM, CPU, Screen Resolution etc are of lower specifications as compared to Android HU. However given my Basic requirement of a touchscreen ICE with Navigation. I believe even with the lower specs, it will serve my purpose.

Had you come across the later one while choosing for your HU. What would you suggest out of the two?
Hi MadAbtCars,

I had limited my search to RCD510 and Android HU's. So, did not come across this Windows based system.

I checked the specs of the system. It looks good. But there are a few points you need to consider.

1. The system is only WiFi ready. You will need a dongle for Wifi. If you want to use navigation, you will need internet access. One way is to use your cell phone as 3G hotspot and use Wifi to connect the HU to your phone for internet. You will have to buy the WiFi dongle separately. If you plan to use 3G, that will also require external dongle.
2. The mic is inbuilt and is located on the left side of the HU. This is for left hand drive cars. For our right hand side cars, the mic will be a little farther from the driver and may not have a good pickup. If the quality of mic reception is not good, you will have to go for an external mic.
3. I don't see any screenshot of navigation. Check out which navigation app is supported in Windows platform. In case the navigation App is in-built, make sure that it has maps for India. To my knowledge, the navigation app in RNS510 does not work in India. This alone could be a show stopper for you as you need navigation.

With the above points considered, for the price, the system looks ok.

But personally, if navigation is a key requirement, I would definitely go with android which has many navigation apps.

Last edited by graaja : 12th January 2016 at 17:05.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 18:11   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys doing my DYI of installing the HU, can some one please tell me how to open the Glove Box in Vento/Polo and the side panel to pull the cables through.

Don't mind, i just found that there was a link in the OP itself to follow Gannu's Thread

Last edited by AtheK : 12th January 2016 at 18:33.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 21:46   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post

I have installed this HU in my Polo ,bought from the same link. I did the DIY myself.
After operating the HU ,my initial reaction was WOW. Radio works very well,Navigation is superb,Connects to my Iphone very well and the call quality over BT is excellent. The Video Playback is superb. Total Cost incurred is 10800+4612(customs) = 15412. fitting cost ZERO. I am attaching the photos to help in your decision making process.

Edit: I have the latest map installed i.e. 2015 Q2. Map Supplied is 2014Q3. You Don't need internet for Navigation. HERE Maps are preinstalled on 8GB MicroSD card.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img2998.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img3002.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img3003.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img3004.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img3005.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img3006.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img3007.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img3008.jpg  

Last edited by fuzail : 12th January 2016 at 21:59.
fuzail is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 23:58   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Very neat, and great price too. Here comes pics of my installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-1452623256642.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-1452623268762.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-1452623280320.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-1452623290900.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-1452623304041.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-1452623313851.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-1452623326760.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-1452623336220.jpg  

AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 00:32   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Is this the 8incher Android discussed before? If yes how have you managed the Android box?
Old 13th January 2016, 01:10   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks great man, I am soo tempted to get this for my jetta too, Only thing that is holding me back is, The premium interface of the RCD 510 is just really nice to part with, Specially now when i have a 360 OPS, I doubt if it will work with these HU's.
Old 13th January 2016, 01:24   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavd View Post
Is this the 8incher Android discussed before? If yes how have you managed the Android box?
Yes indeed the 8 Incher, which Android Box are you reffering to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Looks great man, I am soo tempted to get this for my jetta too, Only thing that is holding me back is, The premium interface of the RCD 510 is just really nice to part with, Specially now when i have a 360 OPS, I doubt if it will work with these HU's.
Thanks, I think OPS works with these as they are sold worldwide, though the other experts can suggest better. If you want i can ask the seller i got it from.
Old 13th January 2016, 01:28   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I think OPS works with these as they are sold worldwide, though the other experts can suggest better. If you want i can ask the seller i got it from.
OPS for the front and rear sensors would work, But i doubt it will work with the side sensors, If you can just ask him if the HU is compatible with VW's 360 OPS, (Which also uses the side sensor's) So in total is it compatible with 12 sensors, 4 at the rear, 4 at the front and 2 each more on the front and rear at the sides.
Old 13th January 2016, 01:29   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OPS for the front and rear sensors would work, But i doubt it will work with the side sensors, If you can just ask him if the HU is compatible with VW's 360 OPS, (Which also uses the side sensor's) So in total is it compatible with 12 sensors, 4 at the rear, 4 at the front and 2 each more on the front and rear at the sides.
Sure will drop him a note right away and PM you with the response. I have myself got some doubts which i wanted to be cleared
Old 13th January 2016, 01:31   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure will drop him a note right away and PM you with the response. I have myself got some doubts which i wanted to be cleared
Thanks man, I too will try and find some more details about it, I have an itch to upgrade the HU get a reverse camera and add a sub now.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 06:27   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anashku View Post
I too went ahead and booked the 7" inch model as a safe bet and it has stock OE looks.

The 8" model comes with separate android box. I prefer no external connections to my HU(personal preference) not even inside the glove box. Its on expensive side.
OE looks - Not much

Only 2gb ram is major thing in favour of 8" device IMO. 1 inch size difference shouldn't matter so much.

Quote:
Yes indeed the 8 Incher, which Android Box are you reffering to?
As mentioned Anashku, the 8 incher comes with a Android box that is separate from the HU. Is this the case with your HU too? The Android box can be directly connected to a TV along with keyboard mouse it seems.
Old 13th January 2016, 07:19   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congratulations on the successful DIY. Looks Awesome! Please do share some more pictures and experience with other features like Bluetooth, Navigation, reverse parking etc.
Old 13th January 2016, 09:20   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on the successful DIY. Looks Awesome! Please do share some more pictures and experience with other features like Bluetooth, Navigation, reverse parking etc.
Thanks to you that I was able to pull it off, and also thanks for answering all questions. Will share the feedback after using it for a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavd View Post
As mentioned Anashku, the 8 incher comes with a Android box that is separate from the HU. Is this the case with your HU too? The Android box can be directly connected to a TV along with keyboard mouse it seems.
No I did not get the android box.
Old 13th January 2016, 23:41   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks man, I too will try and find some more details about it, I have an itch to upgrade the HU get a reverse camera and add a sub now.
Sorry mate they said the system is not compatible with OPS, so you will have to pass.

@graaja: have a question for you, i got the Parking camera and have received a sensor which then fits with the camera to give the distance. Could you please let me know if you also received a separate unit and if yes, where did you install it.

Also although the sound quality is better then the stock system, i really need upgraded pair of speakers.

So looking at Morels and Focals, anyone here who has upgraded speakers, would like to discuss what did they use.

Last edited by AtheK : 13th January 2016 at 23:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks