Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2016, 15:45   #181
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
hi,

I am almost sold on this, just a few questions.

1. My car is a 2013 model Comfortline Polo, so I understand some inputs might not be applicable for me (i.e. steering controls et al), and that is fine. What I am not sure is if I would need any splicing/joining, or if it is a straight fit.

2. How are the USB inputs accessed for this? They are on the back, so how are they used for regular attachment/detachment of pen drives?

3. After buying from AliExpress, how is the customs duty paid? Do we have to go down somewhere or is it a simple online payment/even better, payment while delivering?

4. The stock electrical supply is sufficient for this, or does this put additional load on the battery?
#1. My guess is that except for the CAN bus signals, all the other signals should be same and plug and play. You could remove the existing HU and see what type of connections are in the rear to confirm.

#2. There are USB extension cables provided with the HU. Though I have not used the USB inputs (I use the SD card for my music collection), you can bring the USB cable into the glove box and connect the pen drive.

#3. As the HU will be shipped by FedEx or DHL, they will handle all the customs clearance formalities and you can pay the amount at the time of delivery at home. You will get a call from FedEx or DHL to upload some KYC documents like ID proof, address proof etc to their website or email. It is a very smooth process.

#4. If you use the same stock speakers, there will be no extra load on the electrical system.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 15:57   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
#1. My guess is...
Thanks for the quick reply! They are offering free rear view camera (coupled with number plate light casing) if I order today. Might just take the bite!
Old 4th May 2016, 16:05   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply! They are offering free rear view camera (coupled with number plate light casing) if I order today. Might just take the bite!
Just make sure that the rear view camera assembly is compatible with the number plate light in the Polo. Check the section on the rear view camera installation in this thread as well.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 19:34   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Just make sure that the rear view camera assembly is compatible with the number plate light in the Polo. Check the section on the rear view camera installation in this thread as well.
Thanks for the pointer. Sent pics to the seller, and he has agreed to send a fitting model.

Quote:
#2. There are USB extension cables provided with the HU. Though I have not used the USB inputs (I use the SD card for my music collection), you can bring the USB cable into the glove box and connect the pen drive.
Understand that you don't use usb, but does your glove box have input slots for usb ports? Mine doesn't have anything like that, so I guess I will have to cut holes a la gannu1's glove box light mod. If somehow one of the switches above the HU slot could be modded for usb it would look better. Mine has only rear defogger and hazard light switch, rest are dummy ones.
Old 4th May 2016, 21:15   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Understand that you don't use usb, but does your glove box have input slots for usb ports? Mine doesn't have anything like that, so I guess I will have to cut holes a la gannu1's glove box light mod. If somehow one of the switches above the HU slot could be modded for usb it would look better. Mine has only rear defogger and hazard light switch, rest are dummy ones.

There are a couple of dummy plates in the glovebox, but I dont think they are for USB ports. I think, you will have to cut out the glovebox and bring in the USB cable.
Old 11th May 2016, 12:39   #186
BHPian

Facing a roadblock with this .
Did everything following this guide, and on first boot for an android maintainance screen which had options of install from sd/format etc. However "long press to select" was not working,so I was effectively stuck at that screen. Pulled out power, and now the device doesn't boot.

What's the process to reset this device?
Also, the device comes with a fuse rated 15,whereas our stock unit has rating 10. Is that okay?
Old 11th May 2016, 14:52   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Facing a roadblock with this .
Did everything following this guide, and on first boot for an android maintainance screen which had options of install from sd/format etc. However "long press to select" was not working,so I was effectively stuck at that screen. Pulled out power, and now the device doesn't boot.

What's the process to reset this device?
Also, the device comes with a fuse rated 15,whereas our stock unit has rating 10. Is that okay?
There should be no requirement to install from SD card on first boot. The device should boot without any installation. When you say the device doesn't boot now, is there any information displayed on the screen? Can you post a picture?

Also, have you contacted the seller with the details? The seller should also be able to help.
Old 11th May 2016, 17:21   #188
BHPian

Quote:
There should be no requirement to install from SD card on first boot. The device should boot without any installation. When you say the device doesn't boot now, is there any information displayed on the screen? Can you post a picture?

Also, have you contacted the seller with the details? The seller should also be able to help.
Could turn the device on once or twice after that, but the process is hit or miss. Is there any sequence in which the iso connectors, canbus box and the main cable be connected?

On one boot, installed the latest firmware from seller, but after that was stuck in bootloader (vw logo). Then after a lot of tries it booted in recovery, stayed in main screen for mere seconds, showed "system is turning off" and went off. Can't turn it back on now.
Old 11th May 2016, 17:42   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Could turn the device on once or twice after that, but the process is hit or miss. Is there any sequence in which the iso connectors, canbus box and the main cable be connected?

On one boot, installed the latest firmware from seller, but after that was stuck in bootloader (vw logo). Then after a lot of tries it booted in recovery, stayed in main screen for mere seconds, showed "system is turning off" and went off. Can't turn it back on now.
Maybe there is a loose connection in either the ACC signal or the CANBUS signals which is causing erratic booting from the system. This can happen if the wires are not crimped properly in the cable assembly (the ones that came with the HU).

I would suggest you contact the seller with the symptoms so that they can give you some troubleshooting tips. If the system is faulty, they will arrange for a replacement.
Old 12th May 2016, 20:54   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe there is a loose connection in either the ACC signal or the CANBUS signals which is causing erratic booting from the system. This can happen if the wires are not crimped properly in the cable assembly (the ones that came with the HU).

I would suggest you contact the seller with the symptoms so that they can give you some troubleshooting tips. If the system is faulty, they will arrange for a replacement.
It works. Somehow a male-female connection in the main cable came off, so the device was not turning on. God knows how I was getting the intermittent power though. However, the device is running now, I have changed the god-awful default button background color to red and am at peace.

Now that I am exploring the device further (I am already on Malaysk firmware), I have a few further questions.

1. The bluetooth seemed a bit finicky. My oneplus one plays music fine, but can not sync contact or make calls. The dialer and contact tabs are greyed out. They become active momentarily at times. My friend's Galaxy S3 connects fine though, with all possible functionalities.

2. Are there any inbuit apps for android mirror link?

3. How do I get the map data on card?

4. The screensaver shows a cool speedomeer, but it stays at 00 kmph even when I am driving. Will that show speed only when a bluetooth OBD is connected?

Last edited by cr4nkshaft : 12th May 2016 at 20:54. Reason: fix spelling mistakes
cr4nkshaft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 22:06   #191
Senior - BHPian

HI BOYS! I have something ALL new for you!
My Honda had a break-in last week and my Sony XAV-712BT was stolen

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And lemonade, I made!
Presenting to you, something SUPER cool. The purchase originated as an experiment, but the final product has killed any chances of me going in for a non-Android head unit in my car any time in the new future.

Prepare to be blown away!

10.1 inches! I repeat, 10.1 inches of screen real estate!
Attached Thumbnails
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-thumb_img_3883_1024.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-thumb_img_3879_1024.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-thumb_img_3875_1024.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-thumb_img_3881_1024.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-thumb_img_3885_1024.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-thumb_img_3878_1024.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-thumb_img_3880_1024.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-thumb_img_3882_1024.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-thumb_img_3876_1024.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-thumb_img_3887_1024.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-thumb_img_3877_1024.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 22:27   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
The purchase originated as an experiment, but the final product has killed any chances of me going in for a non-Android head unit in my car any time in the new future.

Oh My God ! 10.1 inches sure change the view of the interior of your car

It looks super cool, By any chance do we get to see any video of the interface? Also don't you think you might get distracted by it while driving?
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 22:31   #193
BHPian

Quote:
HI BOYS! I have something ALL new for you!
Looks real neat!
I'm a stickler for stock looks, but I admit the clean lines of this unit goes very well with your car.

Details on config please...
cr4nkshaft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 22:40   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That's BIG! Looks like a tab mounted on the dash. Is the front panel detachable? Any specific reason to go for 10" vs 7"?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 08:54   #195
Senior - BHPian

Here you go.

I'll answer the questions in another post. But here's a small video. The music player is very polished and plays everything under the sun. The video player is decent, too.
Maps on a 10.1 inch screen are worth a sight! It's not distracting at all.
The screen is a very good quality ips display and the sunlight visibility is better than most flagship Android phones.
In all, it's a great buy.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks