Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2016, 19:38   #196
BHPian

Re: Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI

Hi Everyone
Decided to go for an Android head unit for my 2011 Vento highline. Badly needed a replacement for my existing "no name" Chinese 2 DIN 8" HU. Looked around and found this one:
http://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS...S/GA5153F.html
Its an EONON 8" Android Kit Kat HU. Bought it on "Global Easy Buy" of ebay India for 37.6K.
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_02971.jpg

Faced a few challenges for installation. First one being this unit is can bus enabled, so it came with the quadlock connector which has the can bus connections.
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-quadlock-connector.jpg

However, since mine is a 2011 model, it does not have the can bus enabled quadlock connector. It has the ISO connector.
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_03091.jpg

One option would have been to use a quadlock to ISO adaptor cable. But I didn't want to increase the clutter behind the HU. So decided to extract the pins out of the quadlock connector and install ISO connectors (male).
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_03021.jpg

The HU also has a radio antenna amplifier which requires 12V. Connected this to the ACC line of the car harness. This ensures that the amplifier comes on only when the key is turned in the ignition.

The next challenge was to tap the can bus from the car wiring. Trawled through the net and finally found solutions right here on Team BHP!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...upgrade-2.html
and
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ento-polo.html

Tried accessing the BCM connectors and almost ended up with a slipped disc

Then I followed the instruction of member moralfibre and looked behind the climate control module and BINGO! there they were!! Orange with black stripe (can high) and Orange with brown stripe (can low)
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_03061.jpg

Soldered two sets of twisted wires to the can bus (one rolled up stowed for any future use).
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_03071.jpg
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_03081.jpg

Rest of the job was quite straight forward. Plugged in the GPS, WiFi and radio antennae, plugged in the rear view cam and connected the Power Amp control wire (I have a Blaupunkt amp) and got it going
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_02981.jpg
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_02991.jpg
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_03121.jpg
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_03131.jpg

Checked out everything and it works perfectly Downloaded a few apps from the Google Play Store - Torque Pro (using a bluetooth OBD II adaptor), Jet Audio Plus for playing music from the micro SD card, etc.

Cheers
Hari
jethari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 22:00   #197
BHPian

Some more pics of the HU in action.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_0315.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_0316.jpg  

Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI-img_0317.jpg  

jethari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 12:29   #198
BHPian

I think I might have run into a problem with the Android HU. I am unable to install new apps. The system shows 'out of space error'. I checked the option to install new apps to SD card but I do not think it is working. I moved some apps to the SD card as well. Anyone here knows how to install/move apps to the internal NAND flash?

-Srinivas
Old 6th June 2016, 13:20   #199
BHPian

It would need repartition of the NAND and honesty something that I would not recommend. An easier option would be to root this (with one click or framaroot), install titanium backup and uninstall all the bloatware (including system apps) that are not required
Old 8th July 2016, 18:08   #200
Team-BHP Support

Hi All,

So far I have been using the HU mainly for listening to music, navigation and reverse camera. I have never used the HU much for bluetooth calls. Also, the mic that came with the HU had very poor audio quality.

Today, I installed Pioneer mic inside the cabin light assembly. The voice quality of this mic is much better and as the mic is inside the cabin light assembly, it is much cleaner as well as all the wiring is internal.

However, I am facing some issues.

1. The calling side gets their own voice echoed during the conversation. I tried from my wife's cell phone and landline, and have the same echo problem. I am sure the HU is the one that is generating the echo. Anybody else facing this issue? Any solutions?
2. The phone does not connect automatically to the HU when the car is started. I have to manually connect to the HU from the phone. Ever since I upgraded the Android version in my phone, I have been having Bluetooth connection issues. So this could be the issue with the phone. I just wanted to check if anybody has been facing this problem, or has found a solution to this problem.
3. I am not able to connect to the SteelMate TPMS system. As I am able to connect to the TPMS through my phone, I am sure there is something wrong with the Bluetooth connectivity in the HU. Does anybody use a TPMS system in the HU?

Please share your thoughts on the above issues and possible solutions.
Old 10th July 2016, 09:39   #201
BHPian

Just was browsing aliexpress and I feel three good options are there now.

1) This is a 7 inch with 2GB RAM, supports CAN BUS (dont know much about it), only 289$. (I guess seller is a new one as not much purchases, but whoever has purchased has given some good reviews)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/vw-vo...5.3.qeNB89&s=p

2) 8 inch slightly non-OEM look, 1 GB RAM, 273$ only (Site mentions some free reverse camera and all, didnt confirm with seller)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pure-...c-e92b8930bb50

3) 8Inch 2GB, 358$, I guess no canbus support and most expensive of the three.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...504264998.html

Are all these compatible with our 2015 Polo? and canbus support, is it good to have that?

Ohh the first link has doubled its rate !!.
Anyways same seller has another link with a lower rate
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...3-b483b45a6320

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th July 2016 at 10:29. Reason: B2B posts merged.
Old 3rd August 2016, 21:32   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Today, I installed Pioneer mic inside the cabin light assembly. The voice quality of this mic is much better and as the mic is inside the cabin light assembly, it is much cleaner as well as all the wiring is internal.
Voice quality via supplied mic of this HU is the only complaint I have for this wonderful unit. Good to know that quality is better now with Pioneer mic, would get one for my car soon.

Question: Does the length of this Pioneer mic cable is sufficient enough to reach the cabin light assembly through A pillar? I am asking this because, had tough time connecting stock mic as it was quiet short and had just managed to connect it.

Quote:
1. The calling side gets their own voice echoed during the conversation. I tried from my wife's cell phone and landline, and have the same echo problem. I am sure the HU is the one that is generating the echo. Anybody else facing this issue? Any solutions?
Yes, I have this problem. So much so that sometimes I had to disconnect the call via BT while driving and switch to speakers on my cell. If the problem still persists even with your new mic then it is something to do with HU itself. Perhaps we are missing some settings? may be one of us could send a message to the seller inquiring about this problem?

Quote:
2. The phone does not connect automatically to the HU when the car is started. I have to manually connect to the HU from the phone. Ever since I upgraded the Android version in my phone, I have been having Bluetooth connection issues. So this could be the issue with the phone. I just wanted to check if anybody has been facing this problem, or has found a solution to this problem.
I do not have this issue.
This certainly appears to be issue with your phone, more so when you say this started after an upgrade on your cell phone.BT on my car HU is always ON and paired with my cell. So, whenever HU is switched on I get my phone paired on its own.
Just recently I discovered this: HU was NOT turned on while I was driving to office and I received a call on my cell phone. HU switched ON on it's own upon receiving this call enabling me to talk via BT, sweet Now I need to get that Pioneer mic and get that echo problem resolved.

Quote:
3. I am not able to connect to the SteelMate TPMS system. As I am able to connect to the TPMS through my phone, I am sure there is something wrong with the Bluetooth connectivity in the HU. Does anybody use a TPMS system in the HU?
I do not use TPMS system, so no comments.

PS: If you have procured Pioneer mic online, kindly share the link. Thanks!
Old 4th August 2016, 17:12   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Question: Does the length of this Pioneer mic cable is sufficient enough to reach the cabin light assembly through A pillar? I am asking this because, had tough time connecting stock mic as it was quiet short and had just managed to connect it.

PS: If you have procured Pioneer mic online, kindly share the link. Thanks!
Yes. The cable is long enough to run from the cabin light assembly to the HU. Here is the link to this mic.

External Mic

One thing to note. This mic has a 2.5mm mono pin, whereas the HU has a 3.5mm mono socket. So you will require a 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter.

Quote:
Yes, I have this problem. So much so that sometimes I had to disconnect the call via BT while driving and switch to speakers on my cell. If the problem still persists even with your new mic then it is something to do with HU itself. Perhaps we are missing some settings? may be one of us could send a message to the seller inquiring about this problem?
As I rarely use the bluetooth option, I am just living with this issue. Would you be able to write to the vendor and find out if there is any solution to this issue?

Quote:
This certainly appears to be issue with your phone, more so when you say this started after an upgrade on your cell phone.
Yes. I think it is a problem with my phone. Since the firmware upgrade, I am facing issues with many other bluetooth devices as well. So, short of changing the phone or hoping some future firmware upgrade will resolve this issue, nothing can be done about this now
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 02:43   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Most likely, the echo is due to positioning of the mic and the how much of the speakers output is is being picked up by it. If this is true, then if you keep reducing your head-unit volume, at some point the echo would stop.

You can try to place it close to the earlier mic and see if it still echoes.
Old 6th August 2016, 15:57   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Would you be able to write to the vendor and find out if there is any solution to this issue?
I messaged the vendor explaining the problem, he just sent me the below like of the firmware to try it out.
https://yunpan.cn/cqjnew8IvPkh5
Password: bfee

I haven't installed it yet, will do it sometime next week when time permits and post an update.
BlueEyes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 21:28   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
Most likely, the echo is due to positioning of the mic and the how much of the speakers output is is being picked up by it. If this is true, then if you keep reducing your head-unit volume, at some point the echo would stop.

You can try to place it close to the earlier mic and see if it still echoes.
The echo happens irrespective of the position of the mic. Earlier, I had the mic behind the steering wheel and the echo was there. Now the mic is inside the cabin light assembly and still the echo is there. Most probably some problem with the HU itself.

Quote:
I messaged the vendor explaining the problem, he just sent me the below like of the firmware to try it out.

I haven't installed it yet, will do it sometime next week when time permits and post an update.
Great. Hope this firmware solves the issue. I will wait for your feedback on the new firmware.
Old 20th August 2016, 18:36   #207
BHPian

I did upgrade the firmware and unfortunately it did not help
I have tried multiple combinations both from caller and receiver end with iOS and Andriod phones but echo problem still persists. I have written to the seller about this and waiting for his response.
BlueEyes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 21:53   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did upgrade the firmware and unfortunately it did not help
I have tried multiple combinations both from caller and receiver end with iOS and Andriod phones but echo problem still persists. I have written to the seller about this and waiting for his response.
Oh. That is bad! I guess there is some basic flaw with the design that causes this echo. Hope the vendor is able to provide a solution.

If this is a design flaw, everyone should have this issue. But as the issue will be mainly observed by the calling party, other users may not have noticed this!
Old 20th August 2016, 23:06   #209
BHPian

Quote:

I have upgraded the firmware and it took just 10 mins. The only change noticed is better sound quality in FM radio. Need to check other issues like frequent wi-fi disconnect while using Tata Docomo wifi.
Old 1st September 2016, 00:05   #210
MYB
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo - Issue with RCD 220

Hello All,

I am posting this on behalf of a friend who recently updated his Volkswagen Polo Comfortline head unit RCD 220 to Witson Android head unit for Polo purchased from Aliexpress.

Issue: The parking illumination lights don't work, the local technician did some hack to make it work but after that the headlight ON alarm gets activated every time he takes the car key out.

He was facing the same issue when he was trying to upgrade to RCD 210 bluetooth version in which bluetooth and back illumination lights didn't work.

A little bit of research suggests about low line to high line CAN bus converter. But he is confused about the one he should go with.

Experts, your help is much appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks