Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2016, 20:39   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Head-Unit in my VW Polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This is one issue for which I am still searching for a solution. Today, I installed Smart Launcher 3 to check if the screen lock can be activated. But I could not find a way to do this. But one good thing I got out of this exercise is a an organized screen which is also good looking.

Right now, the only solution I can think of is to delete your Google Account before sending the car for service and once back, add it back. As Google sync is quite fast, this exercise should not take much time.
Maybe one solution could be some "app locking" apps, such as the one named "applock" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....applock&hl=en). This, and a few similar apps, allow you to lock individual apps. This way, while you can't lock the entire system, at least you can lock a few sensitive apps such as Gmail, when you give your car to service. Not a very convenient way I would say, but nonetheless, better than no security at all.

Again, I am not sure if these apps internally use some system lock features from the android kernel, and if so, whether these will work on such HUs. But worth a shot I guess.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 21:53   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasain View Post
Graaja.
One tip that you may find useful. I installed and stuck the GPS antenna on top of the glovebox and below the dashboard. I did not like the GPS antenna visible on the dashboard. There is no issue in GPS reception. It still shows 80% strenght for nearest sattelites.
I highly appreciate this tip, thanks!!
I for one like you, hate to stick anything on the dashboard and I been searching for shark-fin antenna which can take care of both GPS and radio signal. I believe you have stuck this right below dashboard, appreciate if could you please post a picture of the antenna where you have glued it.

Quote:
This is one issue for which I am still searching for a solution. Today, I installed Smart Launcher 3 to check if the screen lock can be activated. But I could not find a way to do this.
I posted this same question a couple of pages back. General service coming up for my GT and based on my experience on my previous car HU I am seriously worried about not only someone accessing private messages but also messing up with HU settings. I am even considering removing the unit before driving to SC.
I believe you have rooted your HU once, did you happen to explore screen lock option when it was rooted ? Or, someone who is running a custom ROM would check this for us please ?
Old 4th February 2016, 22:08   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post

I posted this same question a couple of pages back. General service coming up for my GT and based on my experience on my previous car HU I am seriously worried about not only someone accessing private messages but also messing up with HU settings. I am even considering removing the unit before driving to SC.
I believe you have rooted your HU once, did you happen to explore screen lock option when it was rooted ? Or, someone who is running a custom ROM would check this for us please ?
I tried this app and it works on my unit. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mobile.applock

You can lock away all the sensitive apps like settings, mails, plaster etc with a PIN.
sivasain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 22:14   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Graaja. This is a great DIY thread. I was so inspired by this thread that I installed android headunit myself 4 weeks ago. Thank you so much.

One tip that you may find useful. I installed and stuck the GPS antenna on top of the glovebox and below the dashboard. I did not like the GPS antenna visible on the dashboard. There is no issue in GPS reception. It still shows 80% strenght for nearest sattelites.

I have not rooted it yet. I am yet to install the reverse camera. I loved your DIY on customizing the guides. I have to check if my unit can be rooted as well. (My unit is from Carjoying.com)

I have a couple of questions regarding rear camera installation.

1. Why cant the cable be routed under the carpet by the side of of the door trims ?
2. To power the camera, my head unit has an output. Can i run the camera power cable all the way to the head unit ? I saw you connected it to the reverse bulb.

thanks in advance.
Hi, Thank you for the kind words. I am really glad that this thread was useful for you in your HU installation. And apologies for the delay in response. Somehow, I had missed your post.

That is a great idea sticking the GPS antenna inside the glove box. Never crossed my mind. Can you post a few pictures of how you have stuck the antenna? Maybe I will also relocate the antenna.

Check the processor and firmware in your system settings. If they are the same as mine, then it is highly likely that the firmware is already rooted, and you have to just enter a password to enable root.

Regarding your questions:

1. I think the cable can be routed under the carpet as well. At the time I was doing the wiring, this never crossed my mind (I am total newbie in Car DIY). Maybe routing through the carpet is easier than the roof. But one thing to take care is the wires should be routed through the edge of the carpet so that the wires do not get stepped on.
2. If your HU has a supply for the camera, that is the best way to power the camera. As I could not find a camera power in my HU, I had to take the supply from the reverse light (even the vendor asked me to do this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Yes. I remember having seen this topic coming up earlier and I had searched the XDA forums for an answer but could not find it. Even today, I spent considerable time searching the net, but could not find any solution for this. This is really surprising that others are not reporting this issue and someone has not yet developed a solution.

The device is already rooted. I believe you mean if I tried screen lock when I tried Malysk firmware. I believe Jasmukh and Frank are running Malaysk firmware and may have some information on this.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 22:23   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

By the way, talking about security aspects of these headunits, what do you guys think about this one?: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Joyin...00010.5.5d57fl

This is a 10.1" universal headunit, with a detachable screen. I thought detaching the screen is the best possible solution to the security woes we are discussing here. Of course, the downside is that this is not at all OEM look, and in fact, will look totally after-marketish and maybe even ugly.

But just wanted to see what do you think about this :-)
Old 6th February 2016, 10:01   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
This is a 10.1" universal headunit, with a detachable screen. I thought detaching the screen is the best possible solution to the security woes we are discussing here. Of course, the downside is that this is not at all OEM look, and in fact, will look totally after-marketish and maybe even ugly.

But just wanted to see what do you think about this :-)
Yes. This definitely solves the security problem.

But there are two other problems I see. Not sure if this will fit the Polo DIN slot. The second issue is the huge screen. The screen would look out of place on the console and it would be protruding out, which would spoil the look.

Security problem comes once a year when we have to leave the car in the workshop. But for that once a year event, can't live with that look every day
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 12:39   #142
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

That is a great idea sticking the GPS antenna inside the glove box. Never crossed my mind. Can you post a few pictures of how you have stuck the antenna? Maybe I will also relocate the antenna.
I remember one my Friend had installed the Mapmyindia HU in his first gen Polo TDI. Initially he has placed GPS antenna inside the A-Pillar (towards the driver side). But subsequently had to move it on top of the Dashboard because of lack of reception. Not sure whether the GPS antenna quality has anything to do with this.

Now the case, I am referring to is about ~ 4 years old. In case the GPS antenna's of these days can do with placement inside the A-Pillar or inside the glove box, nothing like it. Even I prefer not to have anything sticking on the Dash.

Last edited by MadAbtCars : 9th February 2016 at 12:42. Reason: Typographical error
MadAbtCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 14:51   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
I remember one my Friend had installed the Mapmyindia HU in his first gen Polo TDI. Initially he has placed GPS antenna inside the A-Pillar (towards the driver side). But subsequently had to move it on top of the Dashboard because of lack of reception. Not sure whether the GPS antenna quality has anything to do with this.
Hi,

The way the GPS antenna works is that it needs a metal base to sit on. This is not really important, but helps a lot to increase sensitivity. And it cannot have metal between the top and the sky.

Keeping it inside the apillar will cause metal to come inbetween the antenna and the sky.
sivasain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 17:55   #144
BHPian

Quote:

Yes. I remember having seen this topic coming up earlier and I had searched the XDA forums for an answer but could not find it. Even today, I spent considerable time searching the net, but could not find any solution for this. This is really surprising that others are not reporting this issue and someone has not yet developed a solution.

The device is already rooted. I believe you mean if I tried screen lock when I tried Malysk firmware. I believe Jasmukh and Frank are running Malaysk firmware and may have some information on this.
Graaja, can you try installing xposed on the android HU for the appropriate android version and install max lock from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...ative-t2883624

If xposed works well then this app should work well too.

Edit: Malaysk ROMs has xposed inbuilt.

Last edited by atulsian : 9th February 2016 at 18:20.
atulsian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 22:20   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Graaja, can you try installing xposed on the android HU for the appropriate android version and install max lock from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...ative-t2883624

If xposed works well then this app should work well too.

Edit: Malaysk ROMs has xposed inbuilt.
Thanks atulsian. I will check out Maxlock and Xposed framework, maybe the next weekend. Will update with the results.
Old 9th February 2016, 22:23   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks atulsian. I will check out Maxlock and Xposed framework, maybe the next weekend. Will update with the results.
Great! I would suggest this app for anyone using rooted phone. The best part is it uses very less resources so no lag and has many features to trick friends who always like peep in someone's gallery or other apps.
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 10:49   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Great! I would suggest this app for anyone using rooted phone. The best part is it uses very less resources so no lag and has many features to trick friends who always like peep in someone's gallery or other apps.
Couldn't wait till weekend

Installed Xposed Framework and Maxlock. Works great. Now I have locked critical functions like Settings, Gmail, PlayStore etc. Whenever I open any of these, the HU shows a keypad to enter a PIN and the application opens only on entering the PIN. MaxLock also has other types of locks like Password and Pattern. I haven't tried them though.

Quote:
I tried this app and it works on my unit. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mobile.applock

You can lock away all the sensitive apps like settings, mails, plaster etc with a PIN.
Thanks a lot for this information. I will edit the thread and add information about MaxLock and AppLock in the beginning of the thread so that new users will have the information at the beginning of the thread without having to search.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 11:41   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Couldn't wait till weekend

Installed Xposed Framework and Maxlock. Works great. Now I have locked critical functions like Settings, Gmail, PlayStore etc. Whenever I open any of these, the HU shows a keypad to enter a PIN and the application opens only on entering the PIN. MaxLock also has other types of locks like Password and Pattern. I haven't tried them though.

Thanks a lot for this information. I will edit the thread and add information about MaxLock and AppLock in the beginning of the thread so that new users will have the information at the beginning of the thread without having to search.

In the locking UI there is an option to quick unlock to unlock the HU after entering the correct pin and you can protect the app from being uninstalled through any known method which will ensure more safety. I'm a real fan of this app from day one

Thanks!
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 18:37   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From the pictures it looks like the sensor connects to the camera using the connector, and the camera combines both the sensor input and the image from camera and creates the video with distance markers.

Still you need to know the proper orientation of mounting the sensor and camera for accurate measurements. I would suggest you write to the vendor asking for detailed installation instructions. Usually, they have a word document they send by email. Also, the page mentions about changing reference line position. Ask them for the procedure for this as well. This will help in tuning the reference line to your car and camera position.
Got it installed, as it stands that was the sensor for the remote to work so once i had done the configuration just detached it and kept it in the car.

I have now rooted the system and removed the stock music players. I bought the power amp full version, and it gives me plethora of options for sound equalization. The steering control works well with the player and i have put it to auto boot and start playing on start of the system.

Now i just need to figure out a way to make the VLC work work with steering controls(seems near impossible at this point)
Old 10th February 2016, 20:25   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
G
Now i just need to figure out a way to make the VLC work work with steering controls(seems near impossible at this point)
Do you mean VLC media player to play videos?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks