Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 00:13   #16
BHPian

re: VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide

Ok as I promised, here is complete guide for Rear View Camera installation.

Things you need :

1. RVC connector (which goes into HU)

2. Rear View Camera (AV camera)

Source - aliexpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...781819668.html

Price - $25

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_1984.jpg
VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_1983.jpg

3. Metal Clamp 2 no.

Basically it is used to hold trunk switch in place. In OEM switch, there are clips at both sides which this one lacks.

Source

It's easily available at any hardware shop or else you can make your own.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_2001.jpg

4. Electrical tape

Installation

1. First of all open boot and remove trunk lid panel.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_1980.jpg

2. Now remove trunk opener switch by pulling it outside. Disconnect it. Keep it safe in case in future you need it.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_1985.jpg

3. Now put new camera inside and get wires from inside throughout the left side of the trunk. Remove rubber and put a small hole in it so that camera cable can pass from that.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_1996.jpg

4. Now remove panel from back seat in the trunk. Pass RCA cable through space between sidewall and back seat.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_1990.jpg

5. Remove back seat by pulling it. Get your cable from under the seat. Make sure to route it inside (right side) of seat belt, otherwise you will break it. Now channel it through side panels till front quarter panel.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_1989.jpg

Remove front quarter panel and get the cable out from there. Now channel it through backside of glove-box to HU assembly.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_1992.jpg

6. Now connect RCA cable to RVC connector in HU by removing whole unit (for removing HU follow opening post). Put back HU assembly.

7. Now if you look closely, there will be 2 plugs connected to camera.

*** One is yellow plug. => connect yellow RCA cable to it.
*** One is red plug. => connect black power cable to it.

Now we already connected RCA cable to HU. So get power cable through trunk closer rod (or whatever its called) inside the trunk. Remove left side trunk panel.

8. Now this is the deal breaker. You can either choose Gannu's method and solder camera power cables to tail light assembly or you can simply connect them by splicing factory wires.

PERSONAL CHOICE

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_1999.jpg

If you choose simple method then simply connect black wire to brown wire in tail light connector and red wire to reverse light in tail light.

9. Now tape everything properly and put back side panels. Tape (zip tie) all wires.

10. Now get 2 clamps and bend it in L shape. Put camera in place and put both clamps in place and bolt it just like in pic.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_2005.jpg

With this solution, camera won't move and it will not fall outside. You can find another workaround for this. I've done this.

11. Now put back all the panels and close boot.

Coding

1. Open VCDS. Select control module.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_2006.jpg

2. Select 56 - Radio. Click on coding.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_2007.jpg

3. You will see Current coding. Copy that code and put it safe. (in case if you need in future)

4. Press "Long Coding Helper" (sometimes error comes but don't worry click ok).

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_2008.jpg

5. Go to Byte 3 and change value from 00 to 40. Press exit. Press Do it.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_2009.jpg

6. You will see a message that Coding accepted.

Voila.

7. Clear fault codes if any.

So according to my HU new coding is like - 0000044004000A.

Result

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_2012.jpg

Now you can see that there is static guideline coming in the image. If you don't want it then simply join green cut wire in connector beside camera.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_2013.jpg

By connecting that cut wire you will be able to see image without static guideline.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_2014.jpg

So finally you have successfully installed camera on RCD 330 plus.

P.S- If you're image is not stable or it is going upside down, then you will need Power Filter. (mostly it is happening in Chinese RCD 330 G)

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-htb1ql8ujfxxxxavxfxxq6xxfxxx7.jpg

pic credits - aliexpress

P.P.S- When you engage reverse gear first and you get camera display but when you disengage it and if you're getting error like The Rear View camera system is currently not available, then you will need Digital delay timer module.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-carrearviewparkingcamerarelayfilterforvwrcd330grcd330gpluspassattiguangolftouran.jpg

Connect this and set delay timer to 8 seconds. It's easy. You can google it.

OEM cameras have function to stay alive for 8 seconds even if reverse gear is disengaged. So this is the main reason why we are getting camera error. Aftermarket cameras doesn't have delay module in it. So HU thinks that connection is interrupted, thus it gives error.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th February 2017 at 14:37. Reason: Changing link in the "P.P.S." part & the image :)
maddyguage is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 07:02   #17
BHPian

Thank you for the detailed guide Maddy! I've ordered for the delay timer, will keep you posted on how it goes !
leprechaun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 01:03   #18
BHPian

Re: VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide

Maddy,

Can you post how good mirror link works on RCD 330 plus, i am still contemplating how well would this stack up against an android auto aftermarket ICE.
Old 25th December 2016, 11:48   #19
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide

Looks like there's a way to click screenshots of the display. Was changing the tracks on the SD card and it had this pic in the .bmp format:

Name:  HMI20151129165100.png
Views: 30648
Size:  42.5 KB

Must figure out how.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 09:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Looks like there's a way to click screenshots of the display. Was changing the tracks on the SD card and it had this pic in the .bmp format

Must figure out how.
This is interesting! Also wondering why there is no display of any album art , because there seems to be a picture of a CD (default) when a song plays, which looks like it could be replaced by an album art, guess it reads it in some other format ?? Any leads ?
Old 26th December 2016, 13:53   #21
BHPian

IMPORTANT

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_2015-2.jpg

Many of us are getting error Rear view camera system is currently not available. If you don't want to install Digital delay timer module then you can do this simple workaround for the same.

PROPER STEPS :

1. Engage Reverse gear (camera starts).

2. When you're about to disengage reverse gear, just press cancel (X) and then disengage.

3. Now if you again engage reverse gear, it will work.

Every time you follow this steps and the camera will not give any errors. This is a simple workaround and we can easily live with it.

Check out this video :

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
maddyguage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 14:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot man. I just bit the bullet and ordered the RCD330 Plus for my Jetta. Will update once i get it and install.
Old 26th December 2016, 14:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
Ok as I promised, here is complete guide for Rear View Camera installation.

OEM cameras have function to stay alive for 8 seconds even if reverse gear is disengaged. So this is the main reason why we are getting camera error. Aftermarket cameras doesn't have delay module in it. So HU thinks that connection is interrupted, thus it gives error.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Congrats on the update maddyguage, the HU looks more premium compared to the older one. I am also planning to upgrade the stock RCD 330G in my Ameo HL DSG to RCD 330G plus. I am hoping it to be a plug and play as the car already have rear view camera and related mechanics in place. Just wanted to ask that will the installation be needing any tweaks via VCDS to get it working smoothly.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 26th December 2016 at 16:14. Reason: Long post quote not required. Trimmed for readability.
Old 26th December 2016, 22:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Thanks a lot man. I just bit the bullet and ordered the RCD330 Plus for my Jetta. Will update once i get it and install.

Just installed RCD 330 plus on friends Jetta.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482771851.868582.jpg
VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482771890.389290.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjee View Post
Just wanted to ask that will the installation be needing any tweaks via VCDS to get it working smoothly.

Thanks a lot. Yes you will have to tweak it via VCDS. New HU will not have camera coding, so you will have to code it first otherwise camera will not work.
maddyguage is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 22:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So same installation steps as yours right ? VCDS coding required ? I dont plan to install the camera
Old 26th December 2016, 23:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
So same installation steps as yours right ? VCDS coding required ? I dont plan to install the camera

It's just plug and play for Jetta. No need for any additional connectors. No, you don't need any VCDS coding if you don't want to install camera.
maddyguage is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 19:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:

P.P.S- When you engage reverse gear first and you get camera display but when you disengage it and if you're getting error like The Rear View camera system is currently not available, then you will need Digital delay timer module.

Attachment 1587815

pic credits - xcluma

Connect this and set delay timer to 8 seconds. It's easy. You can google it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Hello, I am unable to comprehend the working of this circuit. This seems to be an ON DELAY timer, this would not serve our purpose of keeping the camera on for 8 seconds after power has been withdrawn.

Please shed some light on the wiring of timer as I have ordered the HU from aliexpress and the same module from xcluma.

Regards,
Old 28th December 2016, 09:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Installed RCD 330 plus on my 2016 1.5 TDI Vento highline DSG. Originally my car came with RCD 320 (pre march production). So after I bought my car I swapped my old HU with brand new RCD 330. But after sometime I got better deal so again swapped with RCD 330 plus.

It is very simple procedure and I will list out all the required parts for the installation. But before we begin, let's see why we should upgrade it in the first place.

Hi Bro,

I have Polo TDI 2012 model. Could I but this RCD 330 Plus and install it on my polo. The price at which its coming is quite tempting me to replace my existing media player. Kindly reply!

Regards
neugal

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th December 2016 at 09:24. Reason: Long post quote not required. Trimmed for improved readability.
Old 30th December 2016, 12:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neugal View Post
Hi Bro,

I have Polo TDI 2012 model. Could I but this RCD 330 Plus and install it on my polo. The price at which its coming is quite tempting me to replace my existing media player. Kindly reply!

Regards
neugal

Hello,

Yes you can definitely go for it. It's very good compared to RCD 320. Follow my method to install it. It's very simple. Most probably even OPS will work in your car.
maddyguage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 01:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1588691
Attachment 1588692

Thanks a lot. Yes you will have to tweak it via VCDS. New HU will not have camera coding, so you will have to code it first otherwise camera will not work.
I have a Jetta Comfortline 2014 model, with factory fit front and rear parking sensors. My car has an RCD 320, will I require the quad lock connector, or any coding? asking because you've mentioned that its plug and play for the Jetta, but my car has the same unit as the Polo/Vento.

Can I just buy, install and forget? The reasons for upgrading are OPS Display, Better Bluetooth and I want to retain my steering wheel controls and the stick look.

Also, I have noticed that the RCD 330G variants are made by Harman, whereas the RCD 330 Plus just have VW branding, is there a difference in build quality and actual performance?

And lastly, does the display dim upon switching on the headlights?

Last edited by maglev : 3rd January 2017 at 02:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks