Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2017, 14:29   #46
BHPian

Re: VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Is it just Apple CarPlay that it comes with the upgraded RAM & Firmware or even Android Auto? If Android Auto can be enabled, that would be one heck of a unit. I've been following the threads about this unit and am contemplating in getting one for my Fabia.

OT: How long did it take for the device to arrive?
Not sure about Android Auto, but it does support Mirrorlink functionality.
Quite a lot of Android phones support mirrorlink. You can find out more on the Mirrorlink website.
Old 6th January 2017, 14:38   #47
BHPian

Re: VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
Not sure about Android Auto, but it does support Mirrorlink functionality.
Quite a lot of Android phones support mirrorlink. You can find out more on the Mirrorlink website.
I don't know if there's an updated list for that, but Mirrorlink website atleast doesn't mention phones apart from Samsung and HTC. On top of that, when I had a chat with one of the vendors on AliExpress, was told that Mirrorlink connectivity would break post 5kmph for phones that would share screen via the Mirrorlink app. So I'm not sure how good the Mirrorlink functionality is/will be, considering I use a Nexus 5.
Old 6th January 2017, 14:45   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
I don't know if there's an updated list for that, but Mirrorlink website atleast doesn't mention phones apart from Samsung and HTC. On top of that, when I had a chat with one of the vendors on AliExpress, was told that Mirrorlink connectivity would break post 5kmph for phones that would share screen via the Mirrorlink app. So I'm not sure how good the Mirrorlink functionality is/will be, considering I use a Nexus 5.
I have a Nexus 5 too. Does not support Mirrorlink.
Old 7th January 2017, 16:07   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
Basically there's no difference whatsoever. But in simple words you can add Apple CarPlay in No Name RCD 330 by soldering 512 MB additional RAM...
Thanks a lot!

Had a conversation with a couple of Aliexpress sellers.

Information on Apple Carplay

One of the reported issues with the firmware update is the right side 3 buttons are messed up after the upgrade to beta version. MUTE SETUP PHONE buttons are mapped to PHONE APP SETUP.

In other words
MUTE = PHONE, SETUP=APP, PHONE =SETUP
(Source: Aliexpress)

In a dilemma now, but Apply Carplay is hard to ignore.
Old 7th January 2017, 17:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Thanks a lot!

Had a conversation with a couple of Aliexpress sellers.

Information on Apple Carplay

One of the reported issues with the firmware update is the right side 3 buttons are messed up after the upgrade to beta version. MUTE SETUP PHONE buttons are mapped to PHONE APP SETUP.

In other words
MUTE = PHONE, SETUP=APP, PHONE =SETUP
(Source: Aliexpress)

In a dilemma now, but Apply Carplay is hard to ignore.
Considering Apple Maps doesnt work in India - what do we get from CarPlay here ?
Old 7th January 2017, 17:45   #51
BHPian

may seem like a very naïve question. I have a 2011 Fabia with "Beat" music system. no steering audio controls etc. My primary need is Bluetooth + a better system.

RCD330+ seems like a good fit from size perspective but will I need to order any additional connectors. I think CanBus is there in all VAG cars but compared to what I see now (Polo, Vento) my Skoda seems very stone age so am thinking which connectors will be required.

RCD330+ seems to be missing navigation. What could be a possible upgrade with navigation?

~SM
Old 7th January 2017, 18:24   #52
BHPian

I recently upgraded my system to the RCD 330g. Are there any major differences with this one and the plus version? Not interested in Apple car play as I use Android.
Old 7th January 2017, 19:07   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Considering Apple Maps doesnt work in India - what do we get from CarPlay here ?
Though Google maps is not available on CarPlay, turn-by-turn navigation commands from google maps can be played through car speakers. I am hopeful of availability of Google maps on CarPlay in the future. Additionally, it handles phone calls, music and messaging really well.
csr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 10:32   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I recently upgraded my system to the RCD 330g. Are there any major differences with this one and the plus version? Not interested in Apple car play as I use Android.
Not much really.
1. Bigger and better screen - 6.5"
2. RVC support
3. Optional Apple CarPlay
Old 11th January 2017, 17:57   #55
BHPian

I have upgraded the RCD 030 in my April 2011 Vento with an RCD 330 plus using a can bus simulator. Everything works perfectly except speed dependent volume control. This vehicle never came with BCM controls connected to the radio. It is a thorough upgrade from the RCD 030, which came right out of stone age.

The only issue I am facing is that the time displayed is not right and I have not found a way to change that. In BCM connected vehicles, it probably picks up from the system time automatically.

Last edited by battada : 11th January 2017 at 17:58. Reason: spelling error
Old 11th January 2017, 18:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post

RCD330+ seems like a good fit from size perspective but will I need to order any additional connectors. I think CanBus is there in all VAG cars but compared to what I see now (Polo, Vento) my Skoda seems very stone age so am thinking which connectors will be required.

RCD330+ seems to be missing navigation. What could be a possible upgrade with navigation?

~SM
My guess is that you would need the can bus gateway with Quadlock to ISO cable harness prewired. This can be used plug and play with almost any VAG vehicle with or without BCM controls if it fits. However, you should check with the Ali Express sellers (or our VW ICE gurus) before ordering. They are very helpful usually unlike Ebay etc. There is a green backlit version available as you may have read on other threads.
Old 12th January 2017, 01:41   #57
BHPian

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera ins...

Alright for those of you, who wants CAN-BUS simulator pre wired with ISO to Quadlock connector:

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32780784963.html

This will be helpful :

1. For Skoda cars (without this simulator, steering controls won't work with Desay RCD 330/330 plus).

2. For Comfortline/Trendline VW cars. Highline cars comes with CAN-BUS, so it doesn't require this.

Last edited by maddyguage : 12th January 2017 at 01:45.
maddyguage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 11:29   #58
BHPian

Re: VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera ins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
Alright for those of you, who wants CAN-BUS simulator pre wired with ISO to Quadlock connector:

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32780784963.html
I bought it from the same seller. It has been a good experience in general. He helped me with wiring as well. I guess he has an RVC too..
battada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 16:54   #59
BHPian

Installed RCD330+ today, works great thanks maddy for all the help.

Card had come with RCD320 as stock on Vento 2013 Highline and OPS works without any issues.

However OPS display doesn't turn off for 10 seconds even after de-engaging the reverse gear. How to fix this ?
Old 13th January 2017, 17:01   #60
BHPian

Quick question , what do you do with your RCD320 . Have you sold it or just keeping it as a backup

Most Viewed