Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2017, 09:52   #196
BHPian

Re: VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide

For all of you, who are looking to connect the RVC to the tail lamps wire, I have come across a unique product with which you can tap the tail lamp hot wires without cutting or splicing them. This way we can power the RVC without voiding the warranty.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...hText=posi-tap
meetzap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 09:04   #197
BHPian

Guys there is some confusion. I have ordered rcd 330+ from AliExpress. The courier company is aramex. The courier has reached my town but I had received a call from the delivery boy that I would have to pay the custom charges of around 1K during delivery. Wasn't I suppose to pay these charges during custom clearance? The status on it's website shows​ nothing if this sort.
Above all he said he doesn't have custom documents yet. Is he cheating or is it the general procedure?

Last edited by chintu_91 : 20th June 2017 at 09:05.
Old 20th June 2017, 09:28   #198
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintu_91 View Post
Guys there is some confusion. I have ordered rcd 330+ from AliExpress. The courier company is aramex. The courier has reached my town but I had received a call from the delivery boy that I would have to pay the custom charges of around 1K during delivery. Wasn't I suppose to pay these charges during custom clearance? The status on it's website shows​ nothing if this sort.
Above all he said he doesn't have custom documents yet. Is he cheating or is it the general procedure?
Perfectly normal Chintu. The courier pays the duties and clears the consignment on your behalf. You have to pay them. They'll give you a receipt. Maybe the guy who called you doesn't know about it.
Old 20th June 2017, 22:18   #199
BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely normal Chintu. I ordered an rcd 330+carplay this month and received the package 3 days ago. I had to pay around 400₹ to the courier guy. The receipt was later updated in the website too.
Old 21st June 2017, 20:41   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aramex acts as a clearance agent for you. They will charge you on delivery and provide you a proper receipt with customs duty + handling charges (DHL charges some 500bucks i think to clear customs).
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:28   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Aramex acts as a clearance agent for you. They will charge you on delivery and provide you a proper receipt with customs duty + handling charges (DHL charges some 500bucks i think to clear customs).
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhruday View Post
Absolutely normal Chintu. I ordered an rcd 330+carplay this month and received the package 3 days ago. I had to pay around 400₹ to the courier guy. The receipt was later updated in the website too.
Thank you very much.

I have installed the system. There were some confusions​ initially but after a series of phone calls to gannu things were fine.

The problem was with two orange coloured wires. The canbus + and ground pins which were supposed to be fixed in the iso connector position 1 and 5. I wasn't getting similar pins but then got it sorted from a local accessories shop. In the process of changing the unit, fuse went bust but the guy was smart enough to spot it out and he changed it. He charged 100 rupees for the pins fuse and his work. Generous.
The system is working like a charm and for the price that I paid (99$, 1040 rs and 100 rs) it looks like a lot more costlier product.
Thank you all.
Old 25th June 2017, 12:23   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yep, that's a direct swap judging by the player indicated in this eBay link.
Thanks Gannu_1 ! Now I just have to decide between this or an aftermarket HU.. Any idea about the sound quality of these? The existing Swing HU sounds pretty good, for a stock factory fit HU.
Old 28th June 2017, 15:04   #203
BHPian

Hello Guys,

There are two stores offering RCD 330G plus in Aliexpress

1) BODENLA
2) Yacht Science (~10 $ more)

I see that people have bought from both. Can i go with anyone or is there a preference?

Thanks.
Old 29th June 2017, 09:21   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthils27 View Post
Hello Guys,

There are two stores offering RCD 330G plus in Aliexpress

1) BODENLA

2) Yacht Science (~10 $ more)

I see that people have bought from both. Can i go with anyone or is there a preference?

Thanks.

Hello Senthil,

I bought it from a different store. Uprising store. The delivery was quick via Aramex.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...608.0.0.q0OBqe
Old 29th June 2017, 21:42   #205
BHPian

Thanks lot Rahul aka 'antardaksh' for helping me to fix the reverse camera in my skoda rapid.

Also thanks to Gaurav who helped me with rcd330g installation in skoda rapid.
smnrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 20:42   #206
Team-BHP Support

Continuing from my last post on my ownership thread, I managed to play around with the unit (make: Desay SV) and got a couple of things done:

1. Changed the theme to all red.

Name:  HMI20151130155835.png
Views: 9050
Size:  37.1 KB

Tip: To take a screenshot of the HU display, long press the MEDIA button. The image will get saved as a 24-bit .bmp file on the memory card.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4876.jpg

There used to be these yellow lines on most windows; contrasting for sure but I like an all-red display which gels well with the red backlighting at night. To get this theme, the stock .png overlay files on the system have to be replaced with the ones with the red theme. And to copy these files from the SD card to the system’s memory, we need to use an application called Total Commander.

So those who're interested, here's what you need to do:
  • Get an SD card with a capacity of 16 GB or less. The update will not work with 32 GB cards (confirmed so don’t bother). Format it using the FAT32 file system.

• Download the compressed folder from Dropbox (link; that's from my personal Dropbox folder - perfectly safe) and unrar the contents to the SD card.

The contents of the SD card should look like this:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-sdcardcontents_1.png

• Turn on the HU, insert the SD card into the slot and long press the SETUP button to bring up the service mode.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4823.jpg

• Click on Software update/versions, click on Update software:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4824.jpg

• Click on Update Navi if this option shows up else click on FM/AM button to bring up the desktop.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4827.jpg

You’ll notice the taskbar with the Start button on the lower left corner.

• Double click on My Device (the icon below Recycle bin):

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4828.jpg

• Browse to SDMemory\TotalCommander folder:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4869.jpg

• Double click on TC icon (the floppy disk icon) to bring up Total Commander app:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4870.jpg

The window on the left is the source folder and the one on the right is the destination folder.

• On the left window, browse to the SDMemory folder. And on the right window, browse to ResidentFlash\navigation\app\res\. The resulting windows should look like this:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4871.jpg

Tip: Carefully browse to the folders by using the tip of the finger. If you have a stylus which can be used on capacitive touch displays, nothing like it!

• Long press the img folder on the left window to bring up the right click command:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4873.jpg

Click on Copy/Move:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4874.jpg

Click on Copy. It will prompt for a Target file exists, overwrite window:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4875.jpg

Click on Overwrite all:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_20170629_213347.jpg

Wait for a minute for the files (there are some 5590 files in 882 folders) to be copied and overwritten to the HU’s onboard memory. Once it’s done, long press the power button to restart the system. The stock theme would now have been changed.

2. Got the smartphone display mirrored on the HU using a device which is incompatible with the Mirrorlink standard:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4846.jpg

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4844.jpg

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4851.jpg

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4852.jpg

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4855.jpg

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4856.jpg

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4859.jpg

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4860.jpg

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4865.jpg

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4866.jpg

But there are a few caveats as well which I have explained towards the end of the post.

I have a Redmi 3S Prime Android smartphone which is not Mirrorlink compatible. The Mirrorlink consortium supports only a selected few devices from HTC, Samsung and Sony (link). And there’s no workaround even if the device is rooted. While browsing through the Russian blogs, I came across a link wherein the user had posted a video showing how his smartphone display was mirrored to the HU’s display. But I couldn't understand what he spoke in the video nor the Google translated version of the link (RU>EN) and I had to do some fiddling around to get it right. I’ve mentioned the steps below.

There are 3 basic steps involved in the process:

a. The HU’s stock firmware has to be flashed in order to enable access to the desktop.

b. An app called EasyConnected has to be installed on the HU and the Android phone.

c. The phone has to be connected to the HU using the USB cable.

Steps:
  • Format a 16 GB SD card using the FAT32 file system and copy the contents from the folder in this Dropbox link (https://goo.gl/17jmGW). The SD card folder should look like this:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-sdcardcontents_2.png

• Transfer the 2 apk files to the smartphone and install them. After installation, the app EasyConnected would appear on the home screen. Unfortunately, this app is completely in Chinese language but it doesn’t matter as the sole intention of installing the app is to enable mirroring. We aren’t using the app anyway.

• Enable USB debugging mode on the phone under Developer options in Settings.

• Turn on the HU, insert the SD card into the slot and long press the SETUP button to bring up the service mode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4823.JPG
Views:	933
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	1656113

• Click on Software update/versions, click on Update software:

Name:	IMG_4824.JPG
Views:	1290
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	1656114

• The firmware update would take a few seconds and the system would then ask for a reboot after the countdown timer in the dialog box stops at 1. Long press the power button to restart the system.

• Delete all the folders in the SD card except the EasyConnected folder. The folder should now look like this:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-sdcardcontents_3.png

• Insert the SD card into the HU, long press the SETUP button to bring up the service mode and then press the FM/AM button to bring up the desktop:

Name:	IMG_4827.JPG
Views:	641
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	1656115

• Double click on My Device, browse to SDMemory\EasyConnected folder, double click on EasyConnected icon to bring up the application:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4831.jpg

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4832.jpg

• Connect the smartphone using the USB cable to the HU and open the EasyConnected app on the smartphone. The HU would then establish the connection between the two devices and will mirror the display.

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4833.jpg

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4834.jpg

• You'll notice the mirrored display on the HU with the taskbar at the bottom:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4837.jpg

• To expand the window and to get rid of the taskbar, click on the Start button, click on Run:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4838.jpg

• Click on Windows:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4839.jpg

• Click on Main.exe:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4840.jpg

• Click on OK:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4841.jpg

• The window would expand and the taskbar would hide itself:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4842.jpg

Touching the quick access menu on the top-right corner gives this menu:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-img_4848.jpg

From L to R, they mean: Return, Menu, Home, Brightness, Setup and Exit. Google VR translate FTW!

Here’s a video demonstrating the process and the mirroring feature:

Like I said before, there are a few downsides to this method:

1. The smartphone display does not go into standby while mirroring. The brightness of the phone dims to zero after the link is established but the display is still on. In Mirrorlink however, the smartphone display automatically goes into standby and displays this message when prompted:

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-mirrorlink-message.jpg

2. Only the display is routed to the HU and not audio through the USB cable. As a result, one needs to connect the 3.5mm TRS cable from the smartphone to the aux. jack of the HU if audio input from the smartphone is required.. That’s one extra cable in addition to the USB cable.

3. When the display is mirrored, one cannot answer the calls using the steering wheel button. To answer the call, one must press the button on the HU display. However, the volume and mute buttons work without issues.

4. The OPS display will not indicate the ParkPilot display on the HU.

5. The smartphone gets heated up gradually and more so when a GPS app is used.

However, the good thing is, it is cheap and it works with any Android device. Especially without the need for the smartphone to be mounted on the windshield which is one less distraction.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you run into issues.

PS: Many thanks to our Russian counterparts. Took me a while to decipher what these folks did but in the end, I felt it was worth it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th July 2017 at 22:59. Reason: Added PS note.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 22:40   #207

Hi gannu. Thats kind of mind blowing stuff that u did. I had installed RCD 330G but I don't know how to get my moto z play mirrored to it. I had an autocop rear view camera installed. Is that camera compatible with RCD 330.
Old 13th July 2017, 13:07   #208
BHPian

Hi Gannu, mirroring Phone's display without mirror link support is awesome. Can you confirm if this will work only on RCD 330 Plus and not factory supplied RCD 330G?
Old 17th July 2017, 15:12   #209
BHPian

I came across a couple of threads at drive2.ru by a developer community called MQBCode Thread 1 and Thread 2 that claim to have enabled Android Auto in the noname version of the RCD330 plus with 512 MB RAM. Another Drive2.ru user has successfully installed this unit as well. Currently the upgraded unit is not available either on Aliexpress or on MQBCode's ecommerce site. I have PM'd the MQBCode guys at Drive2.ru to see if they can help us Indians either get this upgraded head unit or the firmware that we can update our noname units with. I'll keep you guys posted as when I hear back from them.

There are other functionalities that MQBCode is trying to implement in this head unit e.g. getting the MID info on the headunit (DTE, Fuel Consumption, etc.). It seems that they want to enable most of the functionalities of the MIB II system present in the newer Jetta and Tiquan.

Posting a couple of pictures from MQBCode's thread. This proves that Android Auto is indeed working in these units
VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-4d65089s1920.jpg
VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-4e831c9s1920.jpg
Immix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 17:53   #210
BHPian

My rcd330g stuck in vw logo and doesn't boot further. Tried resetting by pressing the power button, but still same problem. Any one has similar experience?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks