Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2017, 21:57   #286
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemanhiflier View Post
Oh! But my problem is little different. I am unable to address RCD330G Plus in VCDS only to be able to change anything. And whilst trying to do the same, I have started getting couple of errors on the instrument cluster.
That's because the relevant .lbl file is missing from the database. If you add that in the folder (Labels folder under your VCDS folder; you'll find them), you will be able to access the HU.

Quote:
Can anyone confirm if I will get OPS display on an Android HU meant for VW? My OPS is CAN addressable...
This is weird. If your OPS has CANBUS support, it should display the parkpilot screen on the HU. I am very sure this has something to do with VCDS settings - either on the CAN gateway, or the RCD or the OPS unit.

Did your previous HU display the parking sensor screen?

Quote:
Also wanted to know any recommended Android HU for Jetta and what is the boot time of such an HU?
The thing is, there are several Android based HUs but none of them seemlessly integrate with the dashboard like the VW OEM units. And they take their sweet time to boot whereas these systems turn on within a second despite being Windows CE based units.

Looks like the Android Auto based RCD330 Plus units which are sold on the newer Polo/Vento models are now being sold on Aliexpress - link. The price is a tad higher though!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 17:56   #287
BHPian

Re: VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide

First of all thanks for the response. Highly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
That's because the relevant .lbl file is missing from the database. If you add that in the folder (Labels folder under your VCDS folder; you'll find them), you will be able to access the HU.
Sorry if the question is dumb! I have whole lot of label files in the folder. From where do I download and add the particular file for Desay AV make RCD330G Plus? Can someone send me the file? A google search has not yielded much...

Quote:
This is weird. If your OPS has CANBUS support, it should display the parkpilot screen on the HU. I am very sure this has something to do with VCDS settings - either on the CAN gateway, or the RCD or the OPS unit. Did your previous HU display the parking sensor screen?
I have a CANBUS addressable OPS, verified from VCDS, see below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 10: Park/Steer Assist (J446) Labels:| 1Q0-919-475.clb
Part No SW: 5C6 919 475 HW: 7E0 919 475 A
Component: PARKHILFE 8K H10 0005
Revision: -------- Serial number: 07381320000410
Coding: 108001
Shop #: WSC 00047 000 00056
ASAM Dataset: EV_EPHVA18VW3610000 001003
ROD: EV_EPHVA18VW3610000.rod
VCID: 71E85860A07DFECE75-8024

No fault code found.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My original HU was a RCD300 which did not display the parking sensor screen.

I am also inclined to believe that it is VCDS settings. But since HU is not addressable, I am unable to proceed further.
Old 3rd November 2017, 05:58   #288
BHPian

Quote:
From whatever I read about label files, first of all I should see the radio on address '56' in a VCDS scan for a label file to work But as of now nothing is detected at that address or for that matter a radio is not detected at any other address also.

A label file will enable VCDS to be able to edit a detected control module.

Also, when I enable radio '56' in my CAN Gateway installation list, the Gateway shows two errors: 1. Gateway Mis-configured, 2. Radio Missing.

CAN Bus communication is established with the Radio (at least it is receiving data) because temperature and time is being displayed on it correctly.

There is a possibility that the Radio is bad and unable to communicate back on CAN Bus.
Old 3rd November 2017, 15:19   #289
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have been following this thread for sometime now with an intention of upgrading my 2017 Comfortline DSG Vento HU to a RCD 330G+.

I have infact been putting off the purchase as I was keen on buying a carplay enabled system.

Now the question i have for you all is, how useful is Carplay? What do you use carplay for?
Old 3rd November 2017, 15:42   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSoms View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been following this thread for sometime now with an intention of upgrading my 2017 Comfortline DSG Vento HU to a RCD 330G+.

I have infact been putting off the purchase as I was keen on buying a carplay enabled system.

Now the question i have for you all is, how useful is Carplay? What do you use carplay for?
The biggest downside is that Maps doesnt work - Apple or Google. Without it for me atleast - Carplay is useless.
Old 10th November 2017, 10:57   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
Yes, looks like this is a 187B with modified firmware that enables Android Auto. The seller has also changed the color theme from yellow to red. I placed an order for this unit yesterday. I'll report back once I receive the unit.
So I finally received the unit yesterday after a goof up of epic proportions by Aramex - they didn't process the shipment at customs for 3 full weeks and customs didn't even open the box. i must have called them at least 25 times during the last 3 weeks.

Anyway, on to the unit. I had originally replaced my RCD 510 with the Desay 187A version of the RCD330 plus. So when I received this unit yesterday, I took a few pics of the two units to for a quick visual comparison. See pictures below and please excuse the poor camera quality of my MI5

VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-image-4.jpeg
VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-image-2.jpeg
VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-image-1.jpeg
VW Polo/Vento : Replaced stock RCD320 with RCD330 Plus + rear view camera installation guide-image-3.jpeg

This (link) is the unit I bought and it comes with Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Seller is "upring store" but this is the same guy who used to sell on Aliexpress earlier by the name of "Yacht Science". If you go to the product page and look at some of the feedback he has received for this unit, you will notice that there are some quality issues with the unit. Sadly, I can confirm all of these issues and few more bugs.

The good thing, however, is that the seller has agreed to send me a new unit, which he claims is free of all bugs. Since yesterday, I have been constantly in touch with him and I am happy to note that he has been very cooperative so far. He told me that the first batch of these units that he received from Volkswagen China had bugs but the later batches are all bug free. He has told me that if I downgrade the firmware on my unit, which will take Android Auto away, all the bugs will be gone. So this is what he has proposed as a solution:
  1. He will give me the bug free firmware without Android Auto
  2. I will update the firmware of the unit
  3. I will then ship the unit to somebody in India who purchases the Carplay version of the unit from him on aliexpress in the next couple of days
  4. He will ship a new bug free unit to me and refund me the customs duty via paypal

I know this is not ideal but I am still OK with the solution. I'll report back once I receive the new bug free unit
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 16:37   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From whatever I read about label files, first of all I should see the radio on address '56' in a VCDS scan for a label file to work But as of now nothing is detected at that address or for that matter a radio is not detected at any other address also.

A label file will enable VCDS to be able to edit a detected control module.

Also, when I enable radio '56' in my CAN Gateway installation list, the Gateway shows two errors: 1. Gateway Mis-configured, 2. Radio Missing.

CAN Bus communication is established with the Radio (at least it is receiving data) because temperature and time is being displayed on it correctly.

There is a possibility that the Radio is bad and unable to communicate back on CAN Bus.
Happens the exact same thing with my Jetta too. Radio module does not show up in 'Installed modules' list but then RCD330 plus works like a charm, receives temp and time from car as well as the steering mounted controls work for next/prev, vol up/down and mute.

The park assist module has value "OPS display" selected but still the player does not display anything when I reverse the car. I guess the volume goes down when I engage the gear.

I have another issue with Park module as the VCDS shows fault "B107C 14 [009] - Open or Short to Ground" for Parking aid speaker. Will get it sorted next week but not too hopeful of getting the parking display on the unit.

Another issue is, why the Radio module does not show up in Installed list when I select the Control Data menu on the home screen. In that case, I am not sure if I can code the reverse camera for the unit.

Last edited by neoonwheels : 12th November 2017 at 16:38.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 17:11   #293
BHPian

Saw a listing on Vagtune page regarding OEM reverse camera kit which doesn't need any VCDS coding.

Motominds, an accessory store in Hyderabad posted a similar kit on their FB page.
Called them and they confirmed that it is OEM fitment, no wires are cut/no modifications needed.

Both the kits are priced close to 10K.
Is anyone aware of the process or the kit being used?
I have a 2016 Vento TSI and I'm planning to get it done via DIY.
Old 6th December 2017, 13:27   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhruday View Post
Absolutely normal Chintu. I ordered an rcd 330+carplay this month and received the package 3 days ago. I had to pay around 400₹ to the courier guy. The receipt was later updated in the website too.
Hi Vhruday,

did you do a DYI or did you get it changed through a store? I wanted to understand that since if i had to do a DIY, i would need to buy a Torx Screwdriver set, from what i understand, but if there is a shop which can do it, wanted to know which that one would be. My Location is Hyderabad.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:23   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal.nishant89 View Post
Hi Vhruday,

did you do a DYI or did you get it changed through a store? I wanted to understand that since if i had to do a DIY, i would need to buy a Torx Screwdriver set, from what i understand, but if there is a shop which can do it, wanted to know which that one would be. My Location is Hyderabad.

Hi Gopal, it was a simple plug&play. Didn't go to a store. Had a Bosch screwdriver set at home and removed the radio frame using a payback card. Had also ordered a new frame as the original was a bigger screen size.
Old 14th December 2017, 12:12   #296
BHPian

Quote:
This (link) is the unit I bought and it comes with Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Seller is "upring store" but this is the same guy who used to sell on Aliexpress earlier by the name of "Yacht Science". If you go to the product page and look at some of the feedback he has received for this unit, you will notice that there are some quality issues with the unit. Sadly, I can confirm all of these issues and few more bugs.

The good thing, however, is that the seller has agreed to send me a new unit, which he claims is free of all bugs. Since yesterday, I have been constantly in touch with him and I am happy to note that he has been very cooperative so far. He told me that the first batch of these units that he received from Volkswagen China had bugs but the later batches are all bug free.
Received the new head unit with Android Auto 2 days back from the same seller. Happy to report that Android Auto works perfectly and all the bugs are now gone. Total landed cost of a new unit comes to around INR 20,000 including customs. Here is a mini review of the unit:
  • Although the description in the product page (link) mentions the model as R340G, the part number is 6RD 035 187B, which was the part number of the HU with Carplay only. The R340G that comes pre-installed in Polo, Ameo, Vento, and Rapid in India has a different part number 6RF 035 187C (Reference Image)
  • Android Auto integration of Google Maps and "OK Google" in the HU works perfectly. This alone makes the update worth it.
  • Sound quality is decent although not as good as the OG RCD510
  • The Radio picks up RDS text from the stations that support this tech. Not surprising as the RCD 320 I had in my GT also supported this function.
  • The color theme is "Red" as opposed to "Yellow" in the RCD330 plus I had earlier. I think Red blends well with the red lighting in my car.
  • There are no presets for Equilizer. My RCD330 plus w/o Android Auto had a bunch of presets.
  • Haven't tried Carplay, so can't comment.
  • I do not have a RVC installed so can't comment on this either.
  • The only issue I have at the moment is that the HU stutters a little in Android Auto mode. I notice the sluggishness when I am switching between apps in HU and also while scrolling the cards in Home or going through songs in the playlist. The stutter is not horribly bad and will likely not bother a lot of people, but it does put a damper in the overall experience, at least for me. Outside of Android Auto - in Radio, playing music through SD Card, etc., things are fast as they should be. I haven't heard anyone with R340G complain so I think the sluggishness is likely due to the processor and/or 1GB RAM of this model. The R340G must have upgraded hardware to alleviate this issue, because of which the part number has also changed. Can someone who recently purchased a Polo, Ameo, Vento, or Rapid that came with R340G pre-installed comment on the smoothness / sluggishness in Android Auto mode?

Right now there is only one listing of RCD330 plus with Android auto on Aliexpress, but the good thing is that the seller is quite good and very responsive. And while I had issues with Aramex with the delivery of my first HU (with bugs) - Aramex took more than 40 days to get that HU to me, the second HU (w/o bugs) was delivered to me in 10 days flat. Let me know if you have any question about this unit.
Immix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 18:58   #297

Quote:
Received the new head unit with Android Auto 2 days back from the same seller. Happy to report that Android Auto works perfectly and all the bugs are now gone. Total landed cost of a new unit comes to around INR 20,000 including customs. Here is a mini review of the unit:
Thank you for the detailed review.

Friends, I am following this thread for quite some time and quite confused on whether to upgrade my stock RCD330G to the latest RCD330G Plus with android auto. My stock RCD330G has mirror link but I feel its useless due to lack of adequate apps supporting the technology. While the previous and cheaper RCD330G Plus comes with Apple carplay the google maps wont work on Carplay moreover Apple maps don’t support navigation in India currently thus making it fall in the same useless category of mirror link. The latest RCD330G Plus unit supports Android auto which looks promising but this latest head unit cost significantly high as compared to previous models with Carplay only.

Need your suggestions on below

1) If it’s worth upgrading or should I wait for the cost to come down ?
2) Also if I wish to enable RCV to the current RCD330G is it mandatory to get the VCDS code changes done ? Does anyone know someone who can help me in Mumbai with VCDS if required.

Appreciate your feedback and comments on the above points.
Old 14th December 2017, 19:12   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Received the new head unit with Android Auto 2 days back from the same seller. Happy to report that Android Auto works perfectly and all the bugs are now gone. Total landed cost of a new unit comes to around INR 20,000 including customs.

Right now there is only one listing of RCD330 plus with Android auto on Aliexpress, but the good thing is that the seller is quite good and very responsive. And while I had issues with Aramex with the delivery of my first HU (with bugs) - Aramex took more than 40 days to get that HU to me, the second HU (w/o bugs) was delivered to me in 10 days flat. Let me know if you have any question about this unit.
I've bought the same headunit but for Skoda cars with green backlight along with an iso quadlock for my Fabia, which costed me about 17k during the Nov sale.

I'm yet to fix it in my car, as I'm currently living in Japan and will be in India for the New year. Just hoping to have it fixed without any concerns. Will update in a couple of weeks.

Seller indeed was very prompt and also the device reached me(Japan) in about a week.
Old 17th December 2017, 21:12   #299
BHPian

Hi all

Has anyone installed the RCD330 plus (Skoda version) to a Skoda Laura L&K (preFL & FL) which came with factory fitted amplifier and 12 speaker audio system?

I need to confirm that the RCD330 works with the factory fitted amp.

Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 17:27   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Hi all

Has anyone installed the RCD330 plus (Skoda version) to a Skoda Laura L&K (preFL & FL) which came with factory fitted amplifier and 12 speaker audio system?

I need to confirm that the RCD330 works with the factory fitted amp.

Thanks
Don't know about factory fitted amp in Indian Skoda cars, but there was a discussion going on VWVortex (link) about compatibility of RCD330 plus (187B) in US VW Jetta cars with the Fender ICE that includes an amplifier. The link could at least be a good starting point for your research.
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks