Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2007, 20:35   #6916
BHPian

Whew... I read almost all pages on WagonR install, but my query is different so asking it here.
I have bought my parents a WagonR Duo Lxi. I want to install a very basic system. My budget is 7K. I want to install a HU which plays MP3 and if budget permits it has AUX in ( for playing through a portable MP3 player ). I want to install speakers in the front only , as currently only 2 people are using the car. I would install a pair at the back later so this option should be there.
Now i have read lots of threads on WagonR install. Also checked out thread for cars which have use 4'' in front. But i still need advice from guru's coz i am not upgrading the system for 2/3 years at least.
I have read about 2950 HU. Will it work for me and my budget ?
Have read the comps are better than coaxials. So will the JBL CS series fit in my budget ? i will go for 6x9 later on.
I am totally ignorant in ICE so request advice.
Also if anyone knows a good installer in Nagpur please let me know.
Thanks
Old 29th August 2007, 10:00   #6917
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Josh machine,

Firstly the Wagon R only accomodates 4" in the front. The only decent 4" component available to my knowledge is Illusion EL series. It costs 5000/- - destroying your budget to shreds.
Luckily the position of the front speakers in the wagon R is prettty decent, so buying a good coaxial is a good thing to do.

You indicated JBL CS - you could get a 4" coaxial - fairly powerful for less than 2000/- or even a GTO for about 2500/-. This leaves you some money to get an entry level Pioneer HU that fulfills your purpose.
Old 29th August 2007, 12:56   #6918
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
My budget is 7K.
I have read about 2950 HU.
JBL CS series fit in my budget ?
aarey, you answered your own question! 2950 4.5K and JBL CS 4" 2.5K. case closed.
Old 29th August 2007, 16:21   #6919
BHPian

Thanks Sam and navin.
I wanted to confirm that its the best that can come in my budget. I have read about the good performance of Illusion EL, but then its out of my budget.
I will go for 2950 with JBL CS Coaxial 4'' in front. I think the JBS is CS 2165.
Thanks a lot.
Old 30th August 2007, 09:10   #6920
BHPian

Sam sir,
One of my friend is looking to buy JBL GTO 1201.1 and JBL P1220e, its not available in Chennai, Is it available anywhere in India? If so what will be the price and where he can get them?
How are they in performance?
Old 30th August 2007, 11:59   #6921

i would like to know the ideal sound setup for Indica Xeta GLG 1.2. i have put the Sony Xplod HU with Infinity speakers. i fail to recollect the speaker configuration but i will get that. no amps or woofers. it sounds very speechy at the front whereas at the back it is a bit bassy. excue me for using not so accurate words for explaining the scenario.
Old 30th August 2007, 13:15   #6922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihirdm View Post
it sounds very speechy at the front whereas at the back it is a bit bassy. excue me for using not so accurate words for explaining the scenario.
What would be "speechy"? Hints:
- Like chalk screeching on blackboard?
- Like voices unnaturally louder than instruments (piano, high hats, triangles)?
- Hissing appearing always?

Can't fault the inherent properties of Infinity speakers and Sony HU. Must be a problem of lack of tuning. What are your current settings?
Old 30th August 2007, 13:32   #6923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihirdm View Post
i would like to know the ideal sound setup for Indica Xeta GLG 1.2. i have put the Sony Xplod HU with Infinity speakers. i fail to recollect the speaker configuration but i will get that. no amps or woofers. it sounds very speechy at the front whereas at the back it is a bit bassy. excue me for using not so accurate words for explaining the scenario.
do you have an amp?
Old 30th August 2007, 15:52   #6924
BHPian

hi,

navinji, whats the difference between an electrical crossover and an acoustic xo? i think you mentoned in some thread that an acoustical xo(1st order) is very difficult o design.

can you point me in the right direction for this(any website or paper regarding this)?

cheers
clip
Old 31st August 2007, 10:23   #6925

by "speechy" i mean to say that i can hear only the voice of the singer and not the music effects as i can hear in the back speakers. and no i haven't taken any amplifier as of now my friend Navin.
Old 31st August 2007, 14:25   #6926
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
navinji, whats the difference between an electrical crossover and an acoustic xo? i think you mentoned in some thread that an acoustical xo(1st order) is very difficult o design.
an electrical 1st order XO is just a single cap or inductor (HP or LP). An acoustic 1st order crossover however take into account the natual rolll off slope of the driver in question.

So say you have a 6" woofer that has a natural roll off that approximaets a 9db/octave roll off from 2k to 4K and then 12db/octave from 4kt to 8K and 20db/octave above 8K. Now to design a crossover that will ensure that that slope is 6db/octave from 2k onwards will mean that one has to actually compensate for the natural slope of the driver. The example give above is more difficult than most but I only gave it to show how difficult an actual 6db/octave acoustic crossover is to design.
Old 31st August 2007, 16:00   #6927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
an electrical 1st order XO is just a single cap or inductor (HP or LP). An acoustic 1st order crossover however take into account the natual rolll off slope of the driver in question.

So say you have a 6" woofer that has a natural roll off that approximaets a 9db/octave roll off from 2k to 4K and then 12db/octave from 4kt to 8K and 20db/octave above 8K. Now to design a crossover that will ensure that that slope is 6db/octave from 2k onwards will mean that one has to actually compensate for the natural slope of the driver. The example give above is more difficult than most but I only gave it to show how difficult an actual 6db/octave acoustic crossover is to design.
thanks for the explanation.

do the XOs we get with a component system(infinity, jbl, hertz etc) have an acoustic xo? are they designed considering the natural roll off of the driver or they are just elecrtical xos? from the values of the caps and inductors, i dont think they consider natural roll off.

have you ever designed an acoustic xo? would love to see your work. maybe i learn something. what extra equipment(test and measurement etc.) does one need?

cheers
clip
Old 31st August 2007, 16:12   #6928
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
do the XOs we get with a component system(infinity, jbl, hertz etc) have an acoustic xo? are they designed considering the natural roll off of the driver or they are just elecrtical xos? from the values of the caps and inductors, i dont think they consider natural roll off.

have you ever designed an acoustic xo? would love to see your work. maybe i learn something. what extra equipment(test and measurement etc.) does one need?
all XOs have an acoustical slope maybe not 6db maybe 24db or 22db or whatever but they all have an acoustic slope which a combination of the electrical slope and the natural roll off of the driver.

most companies take into account the driver's natural roll off and also other factors such as baffle step, type of enclosure (and sometimes lack of an enclosure), etc.. when designing an XO.

All my XOs take into account the driver's natural roll off. No I have never designed a 1st order acoustic XO but most XOs I have designed compensate for the driver's natural roll off and even baffle step, impedance peaks and such. I used to use LEAP and LMS but now I use LspCad and driver files. Besides a lot of this is experience.

BTW the diyaudio site (Sam, LBM and many others are also active there) is a very good palce to start (audio asylum is another). Also with my recent interests in OB, fullranges, etc... my need for complex XOs is now limited.
Old 31st August 2007, 16:19   #6929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the explanation.

cheers
clip
Lol, clip you are going to become a PhD one day under the guidance of navin i think.

For all crossovers, acoustic or otherwise, the natural response of the driver has to be paid attention to.

If you design the drive unit or its enclosure, or the environment it operates in, in such a way that it exhibits a response that is different from its regular free-air response then in a way, you have achieved an acoustical crossover. Enclosing a subwoofer is applying an acoustical crossover to it since the response as compared to free-air changes.
Old 31st August 2007, 16:26   #6930
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Lol, clip you are going to become a PhD one day under the guidance of navin i think..
Jab "raja" kane hai to Clip ka kya hoga!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks