Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2005, 01:41   #1396
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

as far as my knowledge goes btwn the alpine spr-136a and the JBl gto 506ce both being 5.25" components,the alpine compos are considered better than the JBLs and the indicative market price of the alpines is greater than the JBLs..so for those who believe in more the money,better the performance then its the alpines for them also taking into consideration that sam and navin advocate the alpine HUs to be the best..so they ought to make speakers to match the quality of their HUs too..if this theory holds good yes the alpines are better than the JBLs..though knowing from experiences from sony(known to make good HUs but bad speakers u never know)..unless sam and navin can come out with their views..
Old 10th September 2005, 05:25   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Hi

I have heard both the JBL and the Alpine R types. I would have to say though they are similar creatures, the Alpine is a better unit in terms of build quality. Both have very shrilly tweeters, and peaky midrange. The midbass on the R types is better though. Sound quality wise, you could do better than these.

What car are you installing these in? And front / rear / both. I would suggest the 6.5" versions as they would have much better performance in the lower band.
Old 10th September 2005, 07:55   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Hi

I have heard both the JBL and the Alpine R types. I would have to say though they are similar creatures, the Alpine is a better unit in terms of build quality. Both have very shrilly tweeters, and peaky midrange. The midbass on the R types is better though. Sound quality wise, you could do better than these.

What car are you installing these in? And front / rear / both. I would suggest the 6.5" versions as they would have much better performance in the lower band.

Fitting them in Swift. Please refrer to my Post #1385
Old 10th September 2005, 09:37   #1399
BHPian

Guys you are still not listning to me.....n let me kno how to post pics here so tht i can show you the woof.................However, the owner in Ludhiana is a friend of mine and he gifted me with a Auto Bahn 12" woofer which has a 8"dia magnet and the mag is about 2"in thickness and that guy has about 100 pieces of that stuff with him lying idle. He has tried to run this woof with mostly all the amps but after about 3-4 minutes the amp. clips and the woof dies and now he has challenged me to find a Amp. which can drive this helluvva woof......... help...I will post the pics soon.....Sam PM me ur Email id I will send u the pics of the woof.
Old 10th September 2005, 10:12   #1400
BHPian

pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswings
Guys you are still not listning to me.....n let me kno how to post pics here so tht i can show you the woof.................However, the owner in Ludhiana is a friend of mine and he gifted me with a Auto Bahn 12" woofer which has a 8"dia magnet and the mag is about 2"in thickness and that guy has about 100 pieces of that stuff with him lying idle. He has tried to run this woof with mostly all the amps but after about 3-4 minutes the amp. clips and the woof dies and now he has challenged me to find a Amp. which can drive this helluvva woof......... help...I will post the pics soon.....Sam PM me ur Email id I will send u the pics of the woof.
i have posted the pic of the woof here:

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/2...5bmp0ev.th.jpg
Old 10th September 2005, 10:30   #1401
Team-BHP Support

[quote=SoundManiac
But no!! What would i do of the lovely Pakistani Ghazals I have on the casette deck in original voices of farida khanum, begum akhtar, Abida Parveen, Mehdi Hassan Jagjit and all....and other commentaries that i listen to?.[/QUOTE]

very simple. rip them to MP3. not at all diffucult. cumbersome but not diffcult.

Using Lame 3.96.1 (now 3.97 is stable) APX (Alt Preset Extreme) one can get very decent MP3s. If you prefer a lossless format I would suggest WavPack (4.2).
Old 10th September 2005, 10:53   #1402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
:
His setup
1) Sony Cassette Deck+CD changer = Rs. 11,750/- Dealer Warranty
2) Alpine SPS-130A 5" 2 ways front - 2750/- with B&W
3) Alpine 690A 6"X9" in rear Parcel tray - Rs. 5000/- with B&W
4) Sony 504 amp Rs. 4500/- Dealer warranty.

Total Cost - 24,000/-

What I had in mind was

1) Sony Cassette Deck+CD changer = Rs. 11,750/- Dealer Warranty
2) JBL 606 c compos Rs. 6000/- B&W
3) JBL 936 6"X9" in rear Parcel tray - Rs. 4750/- with B&W
4) Sony 504 amp Rs. 4500/- Dealer warranty.

Total Cost = Rs. 27,000/-

Another suggestion if I had budget was Alpine compos instead of JBL. says Alpine will sound better than JBL.

He deals in JBL,Alpine,Boston and other brands.

What do you think is better Alpine speakers or JBL?
1stly I think the JBL 606 is a 6" and the ALipne 130 is a 5" the Alpine you have to comapre it with is the 170.

Does he have Infinity then you can have the best of both worlds. Infinity has a 6x9 with an EMIT tweeter get that! I had one (many eyars ago) and it was smoooooth....then I went into the owrld of custom speakers....and ...you know the rest...

In general Alpines are a little more laid back than JBLs. I find the JBLs a tad bright but this is nothing that a simple chanage in crossover cant solve.

now remember the differences are small and the construction quality of both are acceptable (I rate very few drivers good and only a few select companies have got an excellent rating from me - Jordan & Skanning come to mind).

I would take the Alpine 170+690 combo over the 606+936 but that is just me. I am very sensitive to brightness and my music covers a large range (Bach-ZZ Top).

However I might even do thigns differently:
Use Boston, Alpine, or Infinity 6" comps in the front.
Use Similar comps in what ever fits in the rear speaker pods (forget car models so I dont know what will fit in the rear speaker pods).
Use a Box or tube sub to bring in the lows
Use a 4 channel and a 2/1 channel amp to drive.

I find very very few people can make a rear deck that does not vibrate, etc. and the ones that do are so heavy that your hatch cannot lift it so I hate using speakers on such a rear deck.

One Caeveat: The differences are so small that the resuslts might change (remember I drive an Octy with a huge rear glass). PLEASE TRY BOTH. make sure there is no cuting involved untill you are sure of what oyu prefer.
Old 10th September 2005, 10:55   #1403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswings
i have posted the pic of the woof here:

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/2...5bmp0ev.th.jpg
what is the impedance curve of the woofer?

for a good amp to clip it would take some woofer.
Old 10th September 2005, 11:21   #1404
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... Well guys I can tell you this... I have used Audiobahn subs. either you are running this on a really tiny amp...

Or its more likely the subs are a surplus export from the actual manufacturer in China. I know some of these mfrs. Most likely your friend has imported a lot of subs manufactured with a misaligned voice coil which when powered, plays for a couple of minutes, heats up and then burns out.

I know of people in the Middle East who also imported such one off consignments from such manufacturers and got stuck with this stuff.
Old 10th September 2005, 12:03   #1405
BHPian

Hi Sam and Navin..coming a bit late into the party..but here is my dilemma:

My present audio setup: Santro Xing, Pioneer 4750 HU, Sony 1021s fronts in standard housing, Pioneer 6991 in rear MDF tray

Question: What minimum changes can i make to my setup to make it sound like a live wembley performance? Basically, I want chest-pounding bass, coupled with clear, resonating mids and highs...

Thanks in advance, and Cheers!
Old 10th September 2005, 12:09   #1406
BHPian

Simple. Chuck the speakers you have and get compos for the front and add a sub for Wembley-like performance and chest pounding bass. How much are you prepared to spend?
Old 10th September 2005, 12:09   #1407
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn
Hi Sam and Navin..coming a bit late into the party..but here is my dilemma:

My present audio setup: Santro Xing, Pioneer 4750 HU, Sony 1021s fronts in standard housing, Pioneer 6991 in rear MDF tray

Question: What minimum changes can i make to my setup to make it sound like a live wembley performance? Basically, I want chest-pounding bass, coupled with clear, resonating mids and highs...

Thanks in advance, and Cheers!
get rid of the sony speakers,go in for components,a tube or a box sub and an amp if u want to make ur car sound like a wembley arena..well it all boils down to how much ur wallet is willing to part with..
Old 10th September 2005, 12:12   #1408
BHPian

Audio is very easy man. See mclaren and I came up with a simple solution.
Old 10th September 2005, 12:16   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Navin, I know what you mean. I have similar taste and very few drivers cut it. Over the years we have used & heard everything from JL Audio, Alpine X types, Audiobahn comps, Dynaudio, Polk, Boston, Morel, DLS... you name it... we've used it

You may have heard of Audison amplifiers from Italy. They are pretty famous. We are distributors for Audison In India. Audison also has a speaker brand called Hertz. Its big in Europe but new to India. have a look at
Hertz Website
Audison Website
Connection Audison Website

The Hertz speakers move away from the 'mass market' sound and move towards a more mature, lush, detailed sound that doesnt tax your ears. Build quality is top notch as well.

If you truly appreciate music, which Navin, it seems you do, once you hear these you're hooked... components range from Rs. 5500 ~ Rs. 128000 (Yes!!!) If you need a demo let me know...

We also have competition grade stuff from
Image Dymanics USA
Tru Technology USA

Image Dynamics speakers, subs and Tru Tech amps are all completely built in California, USA. There is no korean, chinese, taiwanese manufacturing involved and these are legendary products that enjoy a cult status everywhere in the world.
Old 10th September 2005, 12:23   #1410
BHPian

Gunbir, what is the price range of Audison 4 channel amps?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks