Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2013, 17:58   #12106
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
Gurus, need help for my Punto ICE setup. My current setup is as below.

Fiat OEM HU, JBL GTO 608 Comps in front, Hertz Coaxials at rear, Cervin Vega HED 600.4 ( With speaker level input ), Rockford Fosgate R1 sub, basic damping done to all 4 doors.

My music preferences:- Classic Rock, Bollywood peppy songs, mostly bass heavy music like Gorillaz.

Currently the above setup sounds decent, but I am still not happy with it. I am assuming that the OEM HU is the culprit here. If I were to sell everything off from the current setup (Including HU) and start from scratch with a budget of 20 Ks, what would be an ideal setup for me?. In the new setup I would love to have USB,BT and TA, CD/DVD is not mandatory, however I would like to retain the steering controls.

Thanks in advance.
What I would like to know is what do you mean by 'not haapy with'

What is your exact problem here? Do you feel something is lacking? What is your reference system?
On what song which part do you feel the not happy part.

Is your sub driven by the rear channel bridged on that 4 channel amp.
Old 16th May 2013, 18:29   #12107
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo View Post
What I would like to know is what do you mean by 'not haapy with'
Does not feel exciting, I am sorry mate I don't know how to describe it. But feels like the sound is artificial. Not a clear/balanced sound like what I get to hear at home ( Norge Amp + Norge Speakers ).

Quote:
What is your exact problem here? Do you feel something is lacking? What is your reference system?
Sorry mate, I am a noob in ICE. But I feel the sound could have been alot better. As I said, it feels either too much bass and not a balanced sound at all. After listening to 3/4 hours, I feel like switching off the music. Earlier I had Ford figo OEM setup and could listen to music continuously for 7/8 hours.

Quote:
Is your sub driven by the rear channel bridged on that 4 channel amp.
Not sure mate, As far as I recall, there is only one AMP (Cervin Vega ) which drives everything.

What I am basically looking for is a well balanced sound stage close to natural. Neither too much bass nor too much treble, Something like Audi Q7's music system , where all sound seems to come from front dash board and is pleasant to hear.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 16th May 2013 at 18:31.
Old 16th May 2013, 19:03   #12108
BHPian

Quote:
Gurus, need help for my Punto ICE setup. My current setup is as below.

Fiat OEM HU, JBL GTO 608 Comps in front, Hertz Coaxials at rear, Cervin Vega HED 600.4 ( With speaker level input ), Rockford Fosgate R1 sub, basic damping done to all 4 doors.

My music preferences:- Classic Rock, Bollywood peppy songs, mostly bass heavy music like Gorillaz.

Currently the above setup sounds decent, but I am still not happy with it. I am assuming that the OEM HU is the culprit here. If I were to sell everything off from the current setup (Including HU) and start from scratch with a budget of 20 Ks, what would be an ideal setup for me?. In the new setup I would love to have USB,BT and TA, CD/DVD is not mandatory, however I would like to retain the steering controls.

Thanks in advance.
I don't think selling everything off would be a good idea. You will loose a lot in selling them and 20k won't get you anywhere close to what you want.

Instead i would suggest you start with the HU change. You have the following options for the HU
1. JVC R900bt - 13k
2. Kenwood 8016bt - 17.5k
Both have BT and TA

Add 2-3k for steering control interface.

JBL components might be sounding a bit bright. You can change them with more natural sounding ones from rainbow etc..

I assume you front components are powered from the amp. If it is driving both the front and rear then get the rear coaxials off the amp.

Last edited by k2max6 : 16th May 2013 at 19:04.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 20:12   #12109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gurus, need help for my Punto ICE setup. ...
Sounds like your setup wasn't tuned well at all to start with, and you didn't notice it earlier. There is nothing particularly wrong with the stuff you have.

In your system, quite likely that the Hertz coaxials are playing from the HU, and the sub is driven by the rear amp channels bridged. The front components are connected to the front amp channels.

Don't worry - even if you don't find a good installer to tune your system, you can do it yourself. There are plenty of threads in the ICE section that will guide you how to do it.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 20:36   #12110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
In your system, quite likely that the Hertz coaxials are playing from the HU,
This I am sure are playing from the amp only. I know this because last time by mistake the ASS removed the power supply to the amp, and I did not hear any sound with full volume from the HU. If the rear were routed from the HU shouldn't the rear Hertz speakers be playing when the amp was powered off ?. If so, shall I rewire the rear coaxials from the HU directly ?, please suggest.

Thanks for the info mate, at least I can now sleep happily that the equipment are good, would try to play around before giving up completely on them.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 16th May 2013 at 20:37.
Old 16th May 2013, 23:18   #12111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
I just bought a new Eon Magna+ for my wife which comes with an integrated head unit with 2 front speakers of 160 W. Now, I want to spruce it up further with a budget of around 5K(little flexible)..
I would upgrade front speakers and use existing front speakers for rear. Then if there is any money left over damp the front doors. You should be able to do both for about 6K. Hopefully the Eon uses the same size of speakers in the front and rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo View Post
Technically, Reverse is reverse polarity, like reversing the polarity on the sub.

When you say phase change by 180, its kind of moving/switching the phase by 180 degrees in reference to time..
Correct. Reverse polarity may look and even sound like like a 180 deg phase change but phase change is actually a delay in the signal. Reversing polarity might not be techniIcally the same thing as a 180 deg phase change but it can help make the subwoofer sound like it is more in phase with the front speakers if these is no other option to compensate for the phase difference (however in my cars I have not found the need to reverse polarity)

I don't know about the UAE ( I will be visiting Dubai for the first ti e in my life later this month) but in Mumbai we often have to focus on taxi drivers, pedestrians, and a plethora of other distractions. A good system is enjoyed is parts ( when one is not distracted). Which is why I like to temper the amount most of us spend on car audio. Home audio is another thing altogether.

Oh and please don't call me "Sir" it is embarrassing to be called that - that to by a professional.

Quote:
Fiat OEM HU, JBL GTO 608 Comps in front, Hertz Coaxials at rear, Cervin Vega HED 600.4 ( With speaker level input ), Rockford Fosgate R1 sub, basic damping done to all 4 doors....My music preferences:- Classic Rock, Bollywood peppy songs, mostly bass heavy music like Gorillaz..
Why sell anything. Just upgrade the HU. For 20K there are HUs that offer TA and subwoofer control. While doing this I would also consider damping the doors.

Last edited by navin : 16th May 2013 at 23:23.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 23:21   #12112
BHPian

Quote:
This I am sure are playing from the amp only. I know this because last time by mistake the ASS removed the power supply to the amp, and I did not hear any sound with full volume from the HU. If the rear were routed from the HU shouldn't the rear Hertz speakers be playing when the amp was powered off ?. If so, shall I rewire the rear coaxials from the HU directly ?, please suggest.

Thanks for the info mate, at least I can now sleep happily that the equipment are good, would try to play around before giving up completely on them.
You could better wire the coaxials direct from HU. This should work, i guess this could be reason you hear it too loud.
If it doesn't satisfies you, better swap the OEM system. Rest of the setup seems fine.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 00:25   #12113
BHPian

Quote:

The draw backs I see in your setup!
* Using Hilevel input
* Running 4 ohm speakers in parallel probably driving the amp at theoretical 2 ohms. This would definitely increase the THD.

My suggestion if you can is to

* Replace the stereo with a Kenwood 8016 model. Because what you need is a proper tuning and expandibility

If you are not listener who goes full volume then
* connect the rear speakers to the HU, else dont use rear speakers

If I were you I would go into details of the install.

How are the front door speakers installed?
* Adding a mdf ring baffle and dampening the doors really is a step forward.
Make sure its sealed.

Remember! When your sub plays if there is any rattling or resonance from the trunk it will spoil any stage and image you can gain by TA.

I have installed a lot of those GTO the last two years and everyone has liked them for the price. It was the cheapest components at our store.

The GTO components along with standard installation using JBL basic sub did give upfront image with the correct Xover points dialed in on the Headunit.

Further imaging and staging can be achieve through time alignment.

Good luck
general_neo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 10:26   #12114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This I am sure are playing from the amp only. I know this because last time by mistake the ASS removed the power supply to the amp, and I did not hear any sound with full volume from the HU. If the rear were routed from the HU shouldn't the rear Hertz speakers be playing when the amp was powered off ?. If so, shall I rewire the rear coaxials from the HU directly ?, please suggest. ...
Correct. Rewire the Hertz to play from the HU, and run a separate pair of wires from the amp to the front GTO components. Then, tune your system well.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 12:18   #12115
Senior - BHPian

For some reasons I will explain elsewhere, my wife has passed on her Nano to me for my daily commute. While I am sceptical, I think its worth a try, but not on the current setup which is a Sony Xplod HU with a couple of front speakers, which I think came with the HU/ car.

What I require is a setup with good quality output keeping in mind:
- Nano electricals not to be overloaded (no fires!)
- I prefer quality output, but not really too much noise or vibrations
- I am not sure if the internal boot can be used for this purpose. I dont mind if it is, or if the rear parcel tray can be cut for it.
- Not sure if I can just instal components and get away with using the existing HU
- Budget is about 15k if I dont touch the HU. If HU change is recommended, I need to budget again to come up with a new number
- the NVH is not that great so I would like to drown out some external noise, but not with bad quality noise within the car. I dont know if that makes any sense!
- I asked elsewhere (not shops) but mostly get sarcastic responses when I mention the Nano
- In shops I get stock advice or boom boom woofers, which I dont want. But I dont know any better, though I want better.
- Timeline is by end of May

I look forward to your inputs and recommendations

Last edited by selfdrive : 17th May 2013 at 12:23.
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:57   #12116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. Check with other dealers too for a wider choice and possibly better deals

2. Pio HU - you haven't mentioned the model - should be OK, apart from Kenwood or JVC HUs. Check for practically usable features like iPod connectivity, Aux-in and USB (for pendrives). ....

3. Buy speakers of brands that specialize in making speakers only. JVC, Pioneer etc. are avoidable, as is definitely Sony and Soundstream. Don't buy ANY speaker without auditioning it - some whose price you like, you may not like the sound.....

4. Put 6.5" components in front: JBL, Infinity, Morel, maybe Polk or RF......

...... You might need to extend your budget slightly. And, do think about buying brands that have a service presence in India
After this useful advice from DerAlte, I went to almost 4-5 showrooms and listen few speakers. I found RockFord Fosgate more like what I wanted. I fitted my ICE yesterday. The set up and cost is mentioned below...

HU - Pioneer DEH - 3590UI - Rs.5950/- with Aux , Ipod/Pad connectivity, 5 Band Graphic Eq., 3 RAC out put - Further Upgrade with Amp is possible.

Front Speakers-RockFord Fosgate Prime Full Range Components R16-S - Rs.7550/- with 6 inch Speakers placed in door and Tweeters placed on A Pillar.
Rare Speakers-6.5" RockFord Fosgate Prime Full Range 3 Way-R1653-Rs.3550/- These are placed in rare Door.
Wiring - Wires were part of the Speaker Box set up.
Wire Kit Couplers - Rs.248/-
Speaker Harness - Rs.177/-
MDF Rings - 4 Nos - Rs. 400/-
Aux Cable - Rs.80/-
NO Blue Tooth - I prefer my Jabra Blue Tooth placed in Ear than taking call with music System.
NO Damping done yet - It is Future plan
Fitting Charges - Rs.300/-
Total Cost is Rs. 17955/-

After fitting and testing with few type of Genres of Music the set up was ready and it is now sounding Fantastic. My wife and Brother were extremely happy with my choice.

Pls suggest some specific info/care to be taken/ and give feedback on the set up.

Regards,
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:12   #12117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
After this useful advice from DerAlte, I went to almost 4-5 showrooms and listen few speakers. I found RockFord Fosgate more like what I wanted. I fitted my ICE yesterday. The set up and cost is mentioned below...
Where did you get the ICE set up done? The prices seem to be too close to MRPs, street prices are mostly little cheaper. Also how was the installation, I am yet to see a neat install done in Pune, though most good ICE brands are available off the shelf!
A few pictures are always appreciated.
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:47   #12118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Where did you get the ICE set up done? The prices seem to be too close to MRPs, street prices are mostly little cheaper. Also how was the installation, I am yet to see a neat install done in Pune, though most good ICE brands are available off the shelf!
A few pictures are always appreciated.
I did it at Car Cupid - Pashan. Installation was done neatly. May be prices are bit high but the guy seemed to be good . Other 3-4 shops I visited were not even interested in what I am asking. They get bored if you ask too many questions or try to get more info on specific brand..or ignore you because of your questions. Typical Puneites. Car Cupid Owner listened to me fully . Gave few suggestions, gave few auditions from ICE installed Cars then even we spoke in length for 2-3 times.
Generally these shop owners try to promote their own brand or the typical JBL/PIO etc brands. Other either trying to convince me that JBL is best or when I asked abour other brands like RF/POlk/Morel?Focal then they try to convince me saying these are very expensive and I should go for AMP for these brands.
Pictures - I will try to upload few. I did some MODs there with ICE like Security System from Minda,Mud Flaps,Door Stopper etc.

Regards,
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:58   #12119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
I did it at Car Cupid - Pashan. Installation was done neatly. May be prices are bit high but the guy seemed to be good . Other 3-4 shops I visited were not even interested in what I am asking. They get bored if you ask too many questions or try to get more info on specific brand..or ignore you because of your questions. Typical Puneites. Car Cupid Owner listened to me fully .

Regards,
I was bang on with my guess then! I knew car cupid the minute I read RF, though the Car Cupid guy is good, he has this attraction to RF, have met him a few times for some BassFX rings. I am happy that you had a good experience with Car Cupid, but he is heavily over priced.

Try going to BAFNA Car Accessories, the owner Dhanesh bhai is extremely passionate about ICE and his installers are, though not very good, but above average. I am in no ways related to him commercially, but I visit him quite often. His pricing is genuine, but be warned about ending up with something that has been manufactured by Focal, that's his favourite brand, I like it too, though.

Also Poona Motors is good, but again high pricing and too many options which are confusing, good installers though.
Old 23rd May 2013, 18:19   #12120
BHPian

I have a Pioneer unit installed in my WagonR. What kind of cable can I use for the aux input?

Most Viewed