Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 13:13   #1411
santoshnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
APSRTC's Semi Low Floor A/c bus named "Sethala Hamsa". Seems to be built on an Ashok Leyland "Viking SLF" chassis and the body by HMM coaches. Nice alternative to expensive Volvo LE buses.
(picture - apsrtc.gov.in)

Ashok Leyland has struck the right note by developing "Viking SLF". This bus chassis with front engine and a lowered floor height with 2 step entry & rear air suspension, it can be voted - the best application specific designs by any manufacturer in bus segment. Because, taking into consideration the indian operating conditions, ultra low entry buses or Low floor buses with rear engine could be expensive in to maintain in the long run. It seems even under Jnnurm project many STU has opted for Viking SLF.

had seen them in HYD they look very elegant and are well maintained i guess a very good option interms of pricing

Old 5th August 2009, 14:20   #1412
santoshnair

have been seeing this front engine trucks from Ashley quite a few at construction sites near the Mumbai international airport....any feedbacks or knowledge on this...check out the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-img00765.jpg  

Old 5th August 2009, 15:15   #1413
Senior - BHPian

did u get pics of the Tata 1109/909 replacement trucks?
Old 5th August 2009, 15:49   #1414
BHPian

santoshnair, Its a Ashok leyland.

Last edited by SAHIR.KITTUR : 5th August 2009 at 15:51.
Old 5th August 2009, 16:04   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
did u get pics of the Tata 1109/909 replacement trucks?
No dude, but the cabin is pretty similar to the one on the 407 replacement (pic posted elsewhere in this thread).
The wheels are much better though,and look somewhat like these.

Name:  fig6a.gif
Views: 3314
Size:  233.6 KB
Old 5th August 2009, 17:01   #1416
santoshnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
santoshnair, Its a Ashok leyland.
ya sahir i know its an ashok leyland but not see many of them are they entering the market in this segment now?

Old 5th August 2009, 17:13   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
ya sahir i know its an ashok leyland but not see many of them are they entering the market in this segment now?

I remember test driving one in 2000 with the same cowl. If I am right it was termed as " BISON "
Old 5th August 2009, 22:05   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
I remember test driving one in 2000 with the same cowl. If I am right it was termed as " BISON "

Yes you are partly correct. Ashok Leyland introduced semi forward truck way back. The first was "Comet NC". This was not so successful. Later came "BISON" and again no way near Tata SE/SK. Both CometNC & Bison had a boxy design cowl.
Later during the end of 90's, AL developed a new design with the help of some european design agency. But this model was not launched in the market. And now the subject vehicle in discussion "SFC1613 & ST1613" was introduced during 2008. It has 130hp Hino BS2 engine. This model is comparitively successful. We find a lot of tippers in Kerala. Market feedback - good mileage, better in case of overloading as its heavyduty aggregates, etc.
Here are some pictures from AL website.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-1613st_big.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-sfcvehicle.jpg  

Old 5th August 2009, 22:51   #1419
Senior - BHPian

this bison or whatever its now called looks promising, seen a lot of them around airport perimeter in Mumbai. I think even now Tata makes only the SWB SE models, i hardly see any LWB 1613SE model trucks these days.
Old 6th August 2009, 09:09   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
No dude, but the cabin is pretty similar to the one on the 407 replacement (pic posted elsewhere in this thread).
The wheels are much better though,and look somewhat like these.

Attachment 170161
Could not find the picture of 407 replacement in this thread. Do you have a link?
Old 7th August 2009, 13:18   #1421
santoshnair

i saw 2 Ashley Luxuras parked on the western express highway below the jogeshwari flyover on the left side of the road in a compound towards andheri side.
One can see it just before u hit the JVLR signal junciton.

Old 7th August 2009, 13:56   #1422
BHPian

Saw 3 tractor trailers being tested by Tata on NH4 near Pune. Looked pretty modern and picked up speed real fast!

Also testing around them were a yellow truck of the size of 407 and with a flat front (no bonnet).

Are any of these new or am i re reporting old news?
Old 7th August 2009, 14:21   #1423
Senior - BHPian

^^ world trucks from tata. they look like giants when you view them from your tiny cars
Old 7th August 2009, 14:37   #1424
Senior - BHPian

so when are these giants launching? and any idea when is the 407 replacement is coming over?
Old 7th August 2009, 19:34   #1425
BANNED

Guys, if you want to refer to Ashok Leyland in an abbreviated form, please use AL or AshLey. I was wondering what / who this new player "ashley" is.

Now, here is my version of history of "long nose" AL trucks.

Ashok leyland used to have 0% market share in "local" segment of the trucking business. More specifically, in the short haul (less than 100 KM) which moved construction raw material, and food grain (from railway sidings to FCI godowns). This was waaaaay back, mid to late 1980s.

Tata's had a monopoly in this segment. Unlike AL, tatas had both the long nose and engine in cabin type trucks. Some smart wiz kid at AL did some analysis, and found that only the long nose trucks from Tata's were used in the short haul segment. For some reason, the operators did not like the engine in cabin type of trucks here.

So, the frist "long nose" vehicles came out from AL. And IIRC, some trucks were sold for short haul use, in Kerala.

Now, it is the age of Tippers. And they are owned by construction companies / fleet owners, who are smarter at analysis and groking the specifications. Hence, there are not many long nose tippers (in the construction raw material sub-sub-sub segment). But for non-construction short haul, (like near the rail sidings), we still continue to find the long nose trucks.

Feel free to trash my theory.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks