Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2019, 19:17   #211
BHPian

re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Wouldn't one think that the operating temperature range is, say, five whole degrees Celcius short of the average Indian summer? What would happen above 45 Celcius? Pardon my ignorance!
Old 23rd December 2019, 19:45   #212
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from the Tata Motors dealer to collect few information.
The dealer representative also visited my place to get a signature and confirm on the variant I have booked.
Ever since I booked the car, I have received over 6 calls, 3 from the Dealer and rest from the Tata Motors EV team to follow up.
Kudos to Tata for going all out for their new offering.
Hopefully this translates into better customer experience. I am definitely looking forward to the launch.
speedmiester is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 20:52   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
The dealer representative also visited my place to get a signature and confirm on the variant I have booked.
I hope we have the option to change the variant after launch. Because price will play a role.

Good thing is that even the base variant is well equipped.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 21:52   #214
BANNED

Tata Motors to install 300 fast charging stations within this financial year.
Quote:
“We are proud that the group’s entities are diversified and have expertise in varied segments. We are leveraging the strength to make EVs more popular,” said Shailesh Chandra, president of the electric mobility business and corporate strategy, Tata Motors. “We plan to set up 300 fast-charging stations by the end of this financial year, of which we have already installed 50.”
Business Standard
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 21:56   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Tata Motors to install 300 fast charging stations within this financial year.
Business Standard
A cheaper option for them to expand this quickly would be to set up charging stations at Dealerships and TASS/TASC. This way they wont have to search for /spend on space.
condor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 14:39   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A cheaper option for them to expand this quickly would be to set up charging stations at Dealerships and TASS/TASC. This way they wont have to search for /spend on space.
+1.

Also, they can leverage their commercial vehicle dealership network which is located along the highways and install charging points there, facilitating people doing intercity trips.
nasa_hubble is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 16:32   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa_hubble View Post
Also, they can leverage their commercial vehicle dealership network which is located along the highways
Super idea ! I had not thought of this. I hope some one in Tata will read these ideas and use them. Will be a win-win for both Tata and the customers.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 13:14   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
My summary from the unveil event

Other features
  • 1400kg kerb weight
  • 215/60R16 wheels
  • 350L boot space
  • RNDS modes
  • Smart Regen
  • Hill ascent and descent assist
  • 34% restart grading
  • 7 inch TFT
  • dual airbags
  • isofix
A technical query: What is restart grading and why should one know the value while choosing an EV?
Blooming Flower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 14:50   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
A technical query: What is restart grading and why should one know the value while choosing an EV?
AFAIK from my engineering days, this is a way of calculating the slope at which a vehicle can maintain speed/able to start off.

Imagine a right angle triangle where the vehicle travels along the hypotenuse. For a 34% restart grading, the horizontal side would measure 100 meters and the vertical side would measure 34 meters.

Therefore the angle of ascent is Inverse Tan 34/100 which is around 19 degrees

Last edited by racer_ash : 26th December 2019 at 14:53. Reason: added info on degrees
racer_ash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 14:53   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The "restart grading" or "starting grade ability" of a vehicle is the maximum gradient on which the vehicle can start climbing from standstill condition with all the wheels of the vehicle on the gradient at the time of start.
Gradient or slope can be expressed in degrees or percentages. 45° is 100%

When designing an automobile various parameter targets are given importance- eg: Power, torque, FE, speed, etc. Gradeability is also one such parameter. It is given a lesser significance in normal cars.
But it is an important item for SUVs (4x4s) or other heavy duty vehicles like Trucks.
Since Nexon and many others are termed SUVs now, Tata have included this too-to give that real SUV feel. It is not something particular to EVs.

But that doesn't grade ability is not at all important for non 4x4s. Urban vehicles do encounter situations where they might have to ascend slopes (basement ramps or flyovers for example).

A gradient of 34% is around 19°. So NexonEV can start from standstill at a gradient of 19° which is quite good. For comparison, Thar has a 1st gear grade ability of 30° for 4WD & 15° for 2WD.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 26th December 2019 at 14:55.
hemanth.anand is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 14:59   #221
BHPian

Quote:
The "restart grading" or "starting grade ability" of a vehicle is the maximum gradient on which the vehicle can start climbing from standstill condition with all the wheels of the vehicle on the gradient at the time of start.
Gradient or slope can be expressed in degrees or percentages. 45° is 100%
Thanks a lot for the answer. I am digressing a bit from Nexon EVs given the context; so, from the description it is obvious that some cars, especially some 4x4 can have more than 100% gradability? Or is it technically limited to 100% somehow?
Old 26th December 2019, 15:38   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the answer. I am digressing a bit from Nexon EVs given the context; so, from the description it is obvious that some cars, especially some 4x4 can have more than 100% gradability? Or is it technically limited to 100% somehow?
but let me answer this and close the loop.

Gradeability is lmited to 100%. Two important factors limit the gradeability of vehicles to 100%. Traction and gravitational force.

Traction or co-efficient of friction
For gradeability above 100%, co-eff of friction must be greater than 1.0 tyres can give 0.9 or at best 1.0. so it will not be possible
Gravitational force
While on a slope with greater than 100% gradient, the gravitational force acting on the vehicle will topple the vehicle backward.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 15:46   #223
BHPian

Quote:
but let me answer this and close the loop.

Gradeability is lmited to 100%. Two important factors limit the gradeability of vehicles to 100%. Traction and gravitational force.

Traction or co-efficient of friction
For gradeability above 100%, co-eff of friction must be greater than 1.0 tyres can give 0.9 or at best 1.0. so it will not be possible
Before we close the loop and the discussion related to the gradeability-- what about the trails and vehicles used in Moab for OTR? Don't they abide by this law? Just curious to know.
Old 27th December 2019, 01:19   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Going a bit off topic here.
People have the right to have concerns. Be it any brand. But Tata too hasn't really made an effort to quell these concerns.
No need to undercut other cars. Tighten the other loose ends. And probably each car you have could turn into a winner. I know Tata keeps getting the short end of the stick, but even they've had a hand in it.
You hit the nail on the head. I've been a Tata user from 2007 till date. Indica V2, Zest and Nexon. Each of these cars when I bought them were outstanding in their class, Nexon is just about 3 months old. But they could have been better, and by a lot.

Indica V2 2007, did not set any tar on fire but was a smooth peppy naturally aspirated engine that did it's job pretty good. I drove it to the hills in North Bengal many times with 4 adults and luggage and it never disappointed. But, the car could have been much better put together and engineered to bring in that long term reliability factor.

Zest again was the first product in the compact sedan class that boasts of the superb Harman ICE, Turbo charged 4 cylinder engine with drive modes, air bags, ABS, EBD, Traction Control, projector, LED tail lamps.. etc. Sports mode, that could bring smile to anyone who loves being behind the wheels. Wind back to 2014 and these were offered by none at that time. But the interior could have been better bolted and screwed. That could have given much more solidity to this already well built car. Zest had a lot of potential and was fully loaded at its time, 2014. No other manufacturer was giving so much value for money at that time. I sold this car at 5 years just to drive a diesel head at 85K kms and it was still as good as new. Infact the current user is in touch with me and is really happy with the car.

NEXON, 2019 it was a proven product, I got my new one last Sep, Aug VIN. One of Tata's flagship product that was successful, more than 2 years in production, they launched so many different variants, KRAZ, Aero etc. So should be flawless was my expectation. My car XZ+ diesel, dual tone, was delivered with a loose coolant hose on the radiator side. It got me badly stuck on my trip to Arunachal with my wife and two kids. No malfunction, just simple plant fault where the pipe was not inserted properly at the radiator end before tightening the screw on the clamp, put me at danger 20kms from Bumla pass with empty radiator, biting cold, an overheated car, and no cell network. Dramatic it may sound but that's not the safest of situation to be in, in Indian's Safest car as it's rightly called.

NEXON has really been the best, but I was really happy with Zest and Indica too served me good. But each had a niggle or two. But over these years of my car ownership I silently observed all such niggles are there in other cars too, but are not highlighted or they get away with it only because there is that bad boy in the class. So this bad boy better be the best boy to prove his mettle else very few people gives him the credit.

Some people call me Tata fan boy, but I like the value for money quotient and their design language and the fact that it's a home grown brand of my own country, I feel proud like when I listen to the National Anthem. Also, somehow these cars fitted my needs, money, purpose wise or simply just an impulsive wish to drive a diesel.

Mahindra is another brand that I really love to see come upto the top. Same feeling about any other product too, but these little hiccups are somehow still being carried on. Small niggles that should never be there keeps sneaking through. I think Tata Motors should consider each car a milestone and ensure zero tolerance on niggles, else no matter what they do, it will have that little mark of doubt, the bad boy feeling!
arindam_xeta is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 13:48   #225
Senior - BHPian

The dealer representative visited my residence again today along with Tata Motors representative. They took information on my usage, parking situation, charging infra info and feedback on EVs in general.
There are plans to install fast chargers in major cities and highways. Most service centers will also be advised to provide a dedicated charging point for EVs.

All in all, happy to see a very proactive approach from Tata Motors.
Can't wait to get a proper test drive of Nexon EV.
If only Nexon had 6 airbags, then my wish list would be complete.
speedmiester is online now   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks