Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2020, 16:56   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
Also good to see is that the charging slot is at its usual location where fuel filling slot is for the ICE cars. This is convenient in terms of usage and easy to adapt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Not just convenient but also thoughtful and safer than frontal placement. In case of ZS EV and Kona EV even a moderate impact frontal crash can render the charging slot useless. Also one had to bend a bit to insert the charging gun into the slot in case of ZS EV which is not ergonomic.
Its a 2 sided coin though. The charging slot in front makes it easier to reach and keep plugged in for long overnight durations at home with slow charging. A side facing port means the plug & wiring running from a side after protruding out from car's width. Also, on 1 side means the charging location / wire running also becomes a factor.

Personally I'd prefer to have it on back under the T logo if I had a choice.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 19:12   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Its a 2 sided coin though. The charging slot in front makes it easier to reach and keep plugged in for long overnight durations at home with slow charging. A side facing port means the plug & wiring running from a side after protruding out from car's width. Also, on 1 side means the charging location / wire running also becomes a factor.

Personally I'd prefer to have it on back under the T logo if I had a choice.
I have a E2O which has it on the side and kona which has it on the front. At home it makes no difference, but one would always prefer wherever the charger is, and lot of "model" charging stations show the charger is at the end of the parking slot, so that you can pull in and charge. It also makes no difference whether you pull to one side or another of a station.

I guess they want to put it next to wherever all the power electronics is. So for kona and ZS, it is under the hood, so in the front. For E2O, it is in the rear so it is in back.

As Nexon's charging slot is in the back, I suspect the motor + power electonics is sitting in the back. That would mean a RWD EV finally. I also hope we see a frunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Tata Motors to install 300 fast charging stations within this financial year.
Business Standard
Does anyone know where are these charging stations? I know only one Tata power charging station that is next to their receiving station in Vikhroli.
It seems there are 7 in Pune, but no idea where they are

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th January 2020 at 19:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
mohanphadnis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 20:13   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
As Nexon's charging slot is in the back, I suspect the motor + power electonics is sitting in the back. That would mean a RWD EV finally. I also hope we see a frunk
Nexon doesn't have a frunk and it is a FWD EV and it has it's power and control modules in the front just like Kona and ZS.

I personally prefer the charging slot at the back rather than at the front. A simple fender bender can make it to hard to use the charging slot which would immobilise the car as we can't charge it.
speedmiester is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 09:17   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
Does anyone know where are these charging stations? I know only one Tata power charging station that is next to their receiving station in Vikhroli.
It seems there are 7 in Pune, but no idea where they are
I have seen 1 outside almost every Bafna, National, Concorde dealership/service station. I think that makes up the 7.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 17:28   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
I just got a call from Tata Motors

Launch confirmed for 19th January 2020

Initial customers will get some added benefits
Autocar has indicated that the Altroz will launch on 22nd January 2020 and Nexon might launch on 28th January 2020

Source

I hope they launch it earlier, Tata seems to be quite confused

A lot of shuffling in terms of dates

Last edited by Zappex : 10th January 2020 at 17:30.
Old 10th January 2020, 19:13   #291
BHPian

Booked a NexonEV.

Will pick it only if the real life range is at least 220-250Km. Less than that it can't be used for long distance.
hkollar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 23:37   #292
BHPian

”The MX-30 features a 35.5 kWh battery and a powertrain capable of delivering 105 kW (142hp) of power and 264 Nm (192 lb-ft) of torque. Range is quoted as 130 miles (~210km) for the European model, which is likely using the WLTP testing standard. This means EPA range will likely be lower, around 110-120 miles.

It is expected to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 9 seconds.”

This recent article talks about the Mazda MX-30 which resembles the size of the Nexon battery pack.

It seems like the real range Nexon will deliver is around ~180 kms

Source
Furebo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 00:14   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Really hope Tata gets the range part right. Nothing less than an actual 250km is going to cut it. And this 250km needs to hold over time year after year, whether it is summer or winter, whether you are using lights or wipers or playing music loud. BMS configuration and thermal management has to be spot on from day 1. If actual range is found to be in the 175-200km range, the product will sink. It will seem like just an incremental upgrade over the Tigor EV and evidently inferior to something like the Kona or ZS, both of which do about 300 genuine km. As a prospective buyer, a minimum 250km range is non negotiable.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 11th January 2020 at 00:16.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 08:50   #294
Senior - BHPian

Just by looking at the battery specs, the range is surely going to be closer to 200 Kms than what Tata Motors is claiming. Unless it's got some really strong regen. I hope I'll be surprised, Tata deserves a success.

What will be interesting to see is what the actual on road price turns out to be. The Delhi government subsidy coupled with the manufacturer subsidy gives initial buyers a huge price advantage.

Regenerative braking deserves a seperate thread. Let's stick to discussing the Nexon EV here.
Old 11th January 2020, 11:00   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
This recent article talks about the Mazda MX-30 which resembles the size of the Nexon battery pack.

It seems like the real range Nexon will deliver is around ~180 kms
No two EVs are alike, The range will depend a lot on electronics, software and motors.
Even Tata's Tigor EV offers a real world range of 180Kms with a claimed range of 213Kms.
I am sure Nexon EV will offer a real world range of more than 250KMs
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 12:01   #296
BHPian

I agree that two EV’s are not alike but just some basic facts are really concerning

Tigor is a sedan with a lot lesser power and better aerodynamics

Nexon is a bigger vehicle which will consume more power

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
No two EVs are alike, The range will depend a lot on electronics, software and motors.
Even Tata's Tigor EV offers a real world range of 180Kms with a claimed range of 213Kms.
I am sure Nexon EV will offer a real world range of more than 250KMs
“The extended range Tata Tigor EV electric sedan now boasts of an ARAI-certified range of 213 km.”

Source

The real world range for Tigor has been a concern, Kona claimed a very high ARAI figure but we had to discount that significantly.

I am a prospective buyer for the Nexon EV but the claimed range is not confidence inspiring
Old 11th January 2020, 12:18   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
I agree that two EV’s are not alike but just some basic facts are really concerning

Tigor is a sedan with a lot lesser power and better aerodynamics

Nexon is a bigger vehicle which will consume more power

The real world range for Tigor has been a concern, Kona claimed a very high ARAI figure but we had to discount that significantly.

I am a prospective buyer for the Nexon EV but the claimed range is not confidence inspiring
The ARAI figures are highly misleading.
Globally Kona offers a 300KM range with the 39.2KW battery pack which is also available in India. Even the instrument console states a range of 300KM. But Kona owners have reportedly driven the car for over 340-350KMs on a single charge easily.
For MG ZS, the ARAI figure is 360KMs, but MG claims a real world range of >300KMs.
The range claimed by Tata Motors for Nexon EV is not ARAI certified range, it is based on internal testing. So definitely the range will be >250KMs in real world conditions.

Also EVs require a different style of driving. It rewards a sedate driving style. If you drive carefully and anticipate stops and braking, the regen can add significantly to the range. Even in my E2O, I used to extend the range by using regen. This is with AC and normal driving style.
speedmiester is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 11:00   #298
BHPian

I visited Kropex Tata motors, Hosur Road and booked Nexon EV. Some details I could gather:
EV push by TAMO:
1. They have recruited 46 people and trained them in Pune for sales team to push EV sales. 9 have been placed in Bangalore.
2. Bookings for EV are offline and online, last count they showed me was- 53 online booking, 155 offline bookings. 5 bookings they showed me from Kropex showroom.
3. They are setting up fast charging EV stations in most cities before launch. Kropex has one public fast charging point and one for their service. In Bangalore they are launching with tie up with BESCOM.

Showroom experience:
1. Just visited casually to ask about EV and gave them my number. Follow up by them everyday for a week for visiting their showroom and prebook . Offered me Tigor EV test drive.
2. Gave me the old gen Tigor EV to test ride. Cranked it multiple times, without realizing the vehicle had started.
3. The old gen Tigor did have some vibration creep in during the ride. But even the old gen vehicle with it's pickup, smoothness, ride quality had me smitten. (I drive an i10 and polo, manual on a regular basis).
4. Genuinely nice experience, was attended all the time, courteous staff.
5. While they prepared the paper work, I looked at the harrier, hexa and other beauties standing there, I went and sat in all the vehicles. Tata had come a long way from my dad's Manza.
6. Tata power will install the charging setup at home. 8 hours for 20 to 100% charge. Below 20% AC and music will switch off to conserve charge (you can turn it on again)

Why did I book Nexon EV:
1. I became a father recently and Nexon is one of the safest cars, sales team assured me that EV is also designed for 5 star safety rating.
2. With intra city usage, even 200km range is okay for me. My last few trips have been to North East and I rented cars from Guwhati. For the occasional around Bangalore trips, I can rent from zoom car or pick up my dad's car. Anyway IMHO, places around Bangalore are overwhelmed with people and are less enjoyable. So do I really need long distance capable EV?
3. Fully reimbursable deposit if I want to cancel.
4. 8 year warranty is better than 5 years by MG.(warranty terms will be a big determinant of my buying decision).
5. Love the looks of new Nexon EV avatar.
Raghuwire is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 18:24   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post

What will be interesting to see is what the actual on road price turns out to be. The Delhi government subsidy coupled with the manufacturer subsidy gives initial buyers a huge price advantage.
I'm not sure how much the manufacturer subsidy is.

I registered my interest for Nexon EV online (in Chennai) and started receiving calls within the next few days. One person introduced himself as a Tata Motors employee, but surprisingly tagged with one of the dealers.

He was very courteous but persistent. Found him to lack in knowledge:
1) He was unable to answer properly if fixing the battery in the floor would reduce either the GC, or the leg space inside the car
2) When I told him that Kona internationally claims ~300 km range whereas in India it's ARAI certified to be ~450 he replied with "Indian testing is very stringent" before I could ask about Nexon EV's real range.
3) He kept mentioning about early buyer's special price and that Nexon EV's price will be raised in mid-Feb to push me to pay up.
4) Mentioned about all the dealerships getting chargers
5) Advised me to take a second electricity connection at my home for car charging so I can avail cheaper domestic rates (it is practically impossible or very expensive with TNEB)

As I'm going through the trouble of getting back the pre-release money I paid for Venue with multiple visits to dealer, decided to pay money (and buy) when required.
shawshank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 07:29   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank View Post

I registered my interest for Nexon EV online (in Chennai) and started receiving calls within the next few days. One person introduced himself as a Tata Motors employee, but surprisingly tagged with one of the dealers.

1) He was unable to answer properly if fixing the battery in the floor would reduce either the GC, or the leg space inside the car

Hi. Yes, Tata motors employees have been trained and put in dealerships to assist people in registering and buying EV.

Also Nexon EV ground clearance is 205mm.
Raghuwire is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks