Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 21:28   #766
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
Does anyone have any clarity if EVs in Delhi are subject to road tax or if they are registered for free?
There is no road tax or registration fees as per the Delhi Government's Policy. Atleast for a period of three years or till the policy exists in its current format.

You can read the key highlights here.

Last edited by coolkurt : 26th February 2020 at 21:29.
Old 26th February 2020, 22:00   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
There is no road tax or registration fees as per the Delhi Government's Policy. Atleast for a period of three years or till the policy exists in its current format.

You can read the key highlights here.
I read and posted a link to something similar, problem is TATA is currently stating that road tax is applicable in Delhi, even the Nexon EV micro site which also shows state wise benefits mentions no Road tax benefits, attaching screenshot of the same.
The "Benefits" part mentions road tax benefits in applicable states.
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-screenshot_20200226_220323_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited by aviral2122 : 26th February 2020 at 22:05. Reason: Added screenshot.
Old 27th February 2020, 08:55   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
I read and posted a link to something similar, problem is TATA is currently stating that road tax is applicable in Delhi, even the Nexon EV micro site which also shows state wise benefits mentions no Road tax benefits, attaching screenshot of the same.
Try and get a quote from Hyundai (Kona) and MG (eZS) as well. You will at least get to know the standard protocol.
tarik.arora is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 05:45   #769
BHPian

I just had a shortish test drive if the Nexon EV, I was one of the few who have pre-booked the Nexon EV. Here are my thoughts on it:
1. Plush, comfy, supremely comfortable ride quality. Of course, I come from an old Hyundai so my standards may be low here.
2. Super silent drive for the most part. I switched off AC, music and I could hear the whirrr of the EV when pushed a little. I loved the sound though.
3. There are no jitters, no shakiness which I had experienced in their older EV models. This one looks like a very nicely put vehicle. Looks a well made mature product, probably due to parts and chassis sharing with ICE siblings.
4. The digital dashboard, the silent drive and other features made it so desirable. My i10 looks and really feels, generations older now.
5. I did not have any issues with the Regen kicking in aggressively as many people felt here.
6. Have liked all the interactions with Kropex Tata motors in Bangalore.
7. The vehicle feels like a beast in sports mode. Just silent clean powerful pull. Loved the feel.

Waiting for enough money, so that I can buy one. Maybe a few more months.
Raghuwire is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 11:51   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Try and get a quote from Hyundai (Kona) and MG (eZS) as well. You will at least get to know the standard protocol.
Well they were confused too, it seems lack of transparency because of the following reason.
After deep digging and more thorough understanding it seems that the Delhi Govt has passed the policy in December 2019 to make the registration and road tax nil for EVs but it is still pending notification, once it is notified the road tax will be nil for EVs.
Let's hope it's notified soon.

Last edited by aviral2122 : 29th February 2020 at 11:56.
aviral2122 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 15:23   #771
BHPian

After doing a lot of reading on this topic, i have registered my interest for subscription as well. Was curious to know if anyone here has any clue as to how much will the approximate Subscription charge be if opted for 36 months? When I state approximate I mean to ask something like a range bound price, eg: 20,000-30,000 or 30,000-40,000 etc.
Old 1st March 2020, 10:56   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

A 33km long Test Drive of Nexon EV

Got a 33km long TD from Bafna showroom at Baner to Dehu Road-old highway junction and back. Lots of traffic in all lanes on a busy Saturday night (7PM).

At the start of TD, ODO was 1982km, 29% charge and 58km range left.

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-nexon_ev_tdstart.jpeg

At the end of 33km drive in flowing but thick highway traffic with 2 U turns, OD was at 2015km, 10% charge left ("remaining range" display goes away below a certain charge % I think):

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-nexon_ev_tdend.jpeg

Observations:

Positives:

1. Super silent and smooth motor. Awesome job by Tata Motors regarding NVH. Credit for the motor goes to motor vendor, more on this later :-)

2. Acceleration is good in D (for reference, my daily drivers are GTI/330i)

3. Acceleration in S is really punchy. Super fun - buy this car just for this part, guys

4. Comfortable suspension and soft ride quality (both my daily drivers are pretty stiffly suspended)

5. Nice steering - no vagueness or slack

6. Nice instrument cluster, Tata haven't gone overboard with anything (fonts, colors, graphics). Coming from understated and elegant Germans, I can't stand funky clusters, so this is a big relief.

7. S mode gets disabled once charge drops to 25%. This is a positive point in a sense that you are kind of warned by your mom that exams are near so you should stop having too much fun. Starting the TD at 29% meant I experienced this first hand - I could only engage S in first few minutes (and glad I did that, my original plan was to drive all the way to Dehu road in D and try S on the return leg). Some slower moving lame duck Wagon Rs in all 3 lanes near Hinjewadi became so irritating that I switched to S almost reflexively and Nexon EV galloped ahead weaving through gaps like a bike and all 3 Wagon Rs were left behind in a flash. Electric motor rocks - terrific torque, no noise, no smoke, no drama. And steering is sharp enough to complement the motor. I am so used to doing this in GTI that whenever I drive those kitna deti hai wala cars in my friend circle, I just freeze because things just don't move! Nexon EV rocks!

Negatives:

1. Smallish range. With my kind of driving, this thing will do ~150-180km on single charge. Well, I can get all my weekly office commute done in 1 charge, so it may still work as an add-on car at home, I can even do my weekend Lonavla, Sinhagad, Bopdev trips for my marathon training, but may not be able to go for the Satara hill marathon in this car. Mumbai marathon trip is out of question (on single charge) something mohanphadnis can do in his Kona and I can imagine the grin on his face when my Nexon EV will need to take an exit for charging while his Kona will just keep going. Come on Tata, ignore ARAI, use people like me and Mohan to measure and publish the range. We are real, unlike ARAI. And most importantly, save me from any embarrassment in front of Mohan. He is already trying hard to beat me in the marathon but hasn't managed yet! I want to maintain status quo, in all aspects of "marathoning" :-)

2. Compulsory, fixed regen level: If you ask me, this is one single deal breaker (though not as severe as I had originally feared). Some clarifications first: I am very well used to engine braking and coasting, and have been using both on all cars that I drive. So it's not a case of "being new to EVs". Kona has 3 regen levels and you can just switch it off completely when you intend to coast. And costing is a must - on a flat highway with no traffic ahead of me, once I have gained enough momentum, I coast, all my cars coast superbly. Laura TSI, GTI, 330i are all masters of coasting, and yet they offer lovely engine braking when I want it. In Nexon EV, the moment I am at good speed with open road ahead of me, if I let go of the A pedal because I just want relaxed cruising, compulsory regen kicks in and starts slowing the car down. This is stupid. Thanks to a novel suggestion/workaround by Rahul Rao, I switched to N and car started coasting smoothly. The moment I ran out of road or momentum, I switched back to D and regen kicked in gradually. So this is a pretty decent workaround. Still, it's a "workaround". Picking up speed after coasting is an intuitive single-step operation in 330i/GTI/Laura/Kona - just press A pedal. in Nexon EV, obviously, I am coasting in N so A pedal does nothing, I need to switch to D and and then press A. This robs most of the fun of relaxed coasting. Hyundai have really done very thoughtful job by making regen optional. The fact that they have given steering paddles to control regen is really next level. I would buy Kona just for this.

3. No Cruise Control. Even on GTI and 330i I use CC quite regularly when I am on an out station trip with family. Nexon EV with compulsory fixed regen makes smooth constant speed long drive "impossible". Come on, Tata, this is a simple software fix.

In summary, Nexon EV is a fantastic car, those who are really in market for a city car, just go for it eyes closed. I don't have a case of 3rd car (well, I don't have a case for 2 cars in the first place ) so I can wait for Tata to fix this "negative no. 2" (nonsensical compulsory regen), if they decide to listen to me. But for daily city usage, this will not be a bother at all, it's only an issue on open long highways.

In lighter vein:

Thanks to a fellow member who uploaded the type approval certificate for Nexon EV which clearly states the make of the motor. Even the sales guy clearly mentioned the motor (which is really the hero of the whole story) is Chinese. So there is no need to bring in "nationalism/hyper-nationalism" or "swadeshi vs videshi" spirit when considering Nexon EV. It is powered by a Chinese motor, no 2 ways about this, so technically it's not a "swaveshi" car, but sourcing a good motor from China is not a bad thing at all. Technology and parts related sourcing decisions are and should be based purely on merit and cost implications.

I went for this TD on my Avan Xero+ (a cute and efficient, silent and smoke-free electric scooter) and it's a very similar vehicle - powered by a Chinese Motor and a Chinese battery, but assembled in Pune. Nothing wrong with this at all - IMO.

More than "swadeshi vs videshi", I think it's far more important to silence OPEC and we must do it by partnering with China, rather than competing with China. In the current situation, OPEC are the villain, not China!

Cheers!

Last edited by Eddy : 1st March 2020 at 15:05. Reason: spacing
anandpadhye is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 14:07   #773
BHPian

Re: A 33km long Test Drive of Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks to a fellow member who uploaded the type approval certificate for Nexon EV which clearly states the make of the motor. Even the sales guy clearly mentioned the motor (which is really the hero of the whole story) is Chinese. So there is no need to bring in "nationalism/hyper-nationalism" or "swadeshi vs videshi" spirit when considering Nexon EV. It is powered by a Chinese motor, no 2 ways about this, so technically it's not a "swaveshi" car, but sourcing a good motor from China is not a bad thing at all.
Thanks for the detailed test drive report.

Regarding, Chinese parts usage, I would rather buy a Chinese EV rather than an Indian ICE vehicle in the future.

Also, it's very common to source different parts from other countries or companies even for Chinese companies. MG hector has a Fiat engine. Many Chinese companies happily proclaim that they are using superior products from Japan or Europe in their products. Chinese 2 wheeler maker Super Soco proudly mentions that they are using batteries from Panasonic and motors from Bosch. Same with multiple mobile phone makers who use Sony camera sensors.

Another relative example is GAC-Nidec partnership. GAC is one of China's largest automobile companies using Nidec's motors in their electric cars. Nidec is a Japanese company. Similarly, Geely (owner of Volvo) has partnered with LG Chem for batteries.
sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:35   #774
BHPian

As per the TATA email, the deliveries for Nexon EV were supposed to start on 1st March. Did anyone get any notification about the charger installation procedures or about the delivery schedule?
Old 4th March 2020, 09:25   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcosmos View Post
Was curious to know if anyone here has any clue as to how much will the approximate Subscription charge be if opted for 36 months? When I state approximate I mean to ask something like a range bound price, eg: 20,000-30,000 or 30,000-40,000 etc.
Here is a thought. Let us assume the useful life of NexonEV is only 8yrs (with battery warranty of 8yrs) and the OTR is 16Lakhs.

So, it is 1,600,000 / 96 (months) = 16,666/Month.

Now, add up the interest costs and some service cost. And also some accelerated depreciation for first 3 yrs. So, My gut feeling - It will start at around 35K/month, with option to buy the car at about 40% cost at the end.

i.e. 12.6L to be paid over 36 months, and then 6.4Lakhs to own it. Total - 19Lakhs.

I am saying this because the company takes a risk of giving a new car to you and taking the hit on depreciation, and also the risk of being able to sell the car at 40% at the end of subscription.

So, I'd be surprised if it is anything less, but won't be surprised if it is a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankw839 View Post
As per the TATA email, the deliveries for Nexon EV were supposed to start on 1st March. Did anyone get any notification about the charger installation procedures or about the delivery schedule?
Dealer says the cars are in transit, expecting them next week.
hkollar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:26   #776
Distinguished - BHPian

To those who have made a booking on the Nexon EV or those who have asked this question to the dealerships -

What arrangements will TML make at a customer's home for charging point? If we live in an apartment block, will they arrange for a charging point & wiring at our parking space from meter-room(ok if at extra cost)? Or for charging we have to make own arrangements / rely on chargers elsewhere?

Sorry if this has been discussed and answered already. :(
Old 4th March 2020, 15:49   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
To those who have made a booking on the Nexon EV or those who have asked this question to the dealerships -

What arrangements will TML make at a customer's home for charging point? If we live in an apartment block, will they arrange for a charging point & wiring at our parking space from meter-room(ok if at extra cost)? Or for charging we have to make own arrangements / rely on chargers elsewhere?

I am in the same situation as you are. I have discussed this in detail before putting down my booking back in January. They will inspect the parking space you have in your building first. After that they would advice on how and where the home charger would fit in. As far as I could make out they need a space of around 2.5 feet for mounting the charger on the wall and they would lay the wiring from your meter. They have a fixed length they can offer free of cost and over that only the extra wiring cost needs to be paid.
shashankw839 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 16:38   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

TATA power is coordinating installation of charging points at the customer's location.
I had a visit from Tata Power engineer in this regard.
The charges for installation is around 8K.
Since I am waiting for the subscription pricing to be announced, I have not gone ahead with the charging point installation.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 17:41   #779
Senior - BHPian

Seeing multiple cases of Teslas catching fire on crashes, what is the precautions taken by Tata to prevent the same from happening? Is there any training videos atleast put out for the fire department to handle a case of Li Ion batteries combustion after an incident? As owners or future owners, what is the precaution you have taken to react to such incidents?

Few things: Will the doors unlock on crashes, will there be an fire extinguisher planned for such eventualities? How would the insurance cover such incidents?

I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest here, just that its a new technology and the system may not be ready for such accidents yet!

Maddy

Reference: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...wsuit-alleges/

https://electrek.co/2019/08/19/tesla...-water-damage/
Old 4th March 2020, 21:43   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Seeing multiple cases of Teslas catching fire on crashes, what is the precautions taken by Tata to prevent the same from happening?

I read this from a article in Cardekho -

"This sub-compact SUV’s battery has been approved after several tests, including Nail Penetration Test, Crush Test, Fire Pond Test, Overcharge Protection Test, Shock Protection Test and Short Circuit Protection Test."

https://www.cardekho.com/road-test/t...review-654.htm
hkollar is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks