Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2024, 21:59   #1186

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I am puzzled by these stories of cars being parked for a week and ending up with a dead battery. Could it be that some power source remained on? The manual does recommend disconnecting the low-voltage battery if parked for a long time. Maybe Tata should update their software to power down all systems (including zconnect) if the car has been idle for > 2 days and the HV battery is at < 50%, or something like that.
Three of my colleagues who own Nexon EVs have had accessory battery problems. My first colleagues battery died and was replaced with great difficulty under warranty. My second friend’s battery died after a 160 km drive and the Nexon EV max would not start the next day. It was jump started and has remained functional since then. My third friend’s Nexon battery died after remaining idle for 10 days. They sent a battery wala home who was happy to replace the battery with a new Exide battery. I told her not to do so and asked her to get the car jump started and taken to the Tata service. They gave her a temporary replacement and told her that they will charge the original battery overnight and then put the old battery back if it holds charge or replace it with a new one if it does not. The car is under warranty and is merely a year old. This was 8 days ago and they still have not replaced the battery. Tata and service do not go together.

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd February 2024 at 22:11. Reason: Fixed the broken quote tag
Old 26th March 2024, 11:19   #1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Thanks, will try this out.

Yes, it was indeed limping
But the problem was, the drop from 20 to 0 was kind of abnormally fast that drastically reduced the reaction time.
I have driven 33,000 Kms on my Nexon EV ZX+ Lux bought in Feb 2022. Recently I got stuck due to sudden drop in SOC from 15% to 0% within 10 kms. I Have also noted that the slow charging from 0% to 15% happens within 15 minutes and there is also a sudden spike in charging from 90% to 100% . Have dropped my car at TATA service station and am awaiting their response.

I have attached the screen shots of the SOC from my Zconnect app.

If anyone has got a solution from TATA for this issue please update.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-zconnect-soc.jpg  

Old 26th March 2024, 11:52   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA20NexonEV View Post
I have driven 33,000 Kms on my Nexon EV ZX+ Lux bought in Feb 2022. Recently I got stuck due to sudden drop in SOC from 15% to 0% within 10 kms. I Have also noted that the slow charging from 0% to 15% happens within 15 minutes and there is also a sudden spike in charging from 90% to 100% . Have dropped my car at TATA service station and am awaiting their response.

I have attached the screen shots of the SOC from my Zconnect app.

If anyone has got a solution from TATA for this issue please update.
Can you post graphs for your charging pattern for a couple of months before this incident started?

This has been generally happening for folks who have never gone below a certain % soc and suddenly go below. For people who have been going below 10 atleast once in a couple of months, this is not happening.

Appears to be some kind of balancing problem/memory effect and looks like the SC's don't have proper way to bottom balance the cells when you take it for repair, so they have been mostly replacing the battery pack with spares they are keeping at the serivce center these days... they are just sending back the the faulty pack to the factory for correction i believe...

The whole thing seems stupid but is happening for a lot of folks. seen cases for both nexon's and tiago's. the punch seems to have battery packs from a different vendor and i have not heard of the issue yet for punch but might be too early as well.

Last edited by vj_v3 : 26th March 2024 at 11:54.
vj_v3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 12:14   #1189

I cannot figure out how to obtain SOC history from my Z connect for periods older than a month. Looks like this option is not available in the app. But I used go below 5% sometimes just to calibrate the BMS and had not observed this issue. I have observed it only a month ago and wanted to re-confirm if this issue re-occurs. And this issue recurred. I guess even the TATA SC guys have also confirmed this issue as they were asking me to forward them the SOC history. I too believe this is not a battery issue as this similar issue is noticed by many of the EV owners ( including other brands). It might have something to do with the BMS software.
Old 26th March 2024, 15:18   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
I cannot figure out how to obtain SOC history from my Z connect for periods older than a month. Looks like this option is not available in the app. But I used go below 5% sometimes just to calibrate the BMS and had not observed this issue. I have observed it only a month ago and wanted to re-confirm if this issue re-occurs. And this issue recurred. I guess even the TATA SC guys have also confirmed this issue as they were asking me to forward them the SOC history. I too believe this is not a battery issue as this similar issue is noticed by many of the EV owners ( including other brands). It might have something to do with the BMS software.
Aren't you seeing Monthly health report tab in the my space section? Can select year and month.

i remember there was a custom data selection option somewhere previously but can't find it now for some reason. i dont use zconnect much, so it might be somewhere and i can't just find it.
Old 26th March 2024, 15:29   #1191

I can only find the SOC history tab, which limits the history to a month. I could not find the custom date option. May be they have removed it.

Latest Update from TATA SC is that they have calibrated the battery and they want me to complete 5 charging cycles and observe the battery performance. If the problem persists, they might get my battery replaced. Will be collecting my car tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 26th March 2024, 17:26   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
I can only find the SOC history tab, which limits the history to a month. I could not find the custom date option. May be they have removed it.

Latest Update from TATA SC is that they have calibrated the battery and they want me to complete 5 charging cycles and observe the battery performance. If the problem persists, they might get my battery replaced. Will be collecting my car tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-markup_1000036542.png

I think i heard that the app has slightly different features for different models. this is for my tiago, so might be different.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the 5 charging cycles work for anyone. try to find out if they have the battery pack in stock so that you don't have to wait longer.

Last edited by vj_v3 : 26th March 2024 at 17:27.
Old 27th March 2024, 11:01   #1193

These are the only options available for me in My space:
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-my-space.jpg  

Old 27th March 2024, 15:02   #1194

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
Attachment 2586881

I think i heard that the app has slightly different features for different models. this is for my tiago, so might be different.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the 5 charging cycles work for anyone. try to find out if they have the battery pack in stock so that you don't have to wait longer.
I got my vehicle back from service today and these are the details of works carried out. They said if the issue still persists, they will go for battery replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-service.jpg  

Old 4th April 2024, 16:47   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
I got my vehicle back from service today and these are the details of works carried out. They said if the issue still persists, they will go for battery replacement.
Any update on this issue? Are you still facing the same problem?

Last edited by ferrarirules : 4th April 2024 at 16:49.
Old 5th April 2024, 12:29   #1196

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Any update on this issue? Are you still facing the same problem?
I could not go below 15% as I had to travel long distance and i charged it from 20% to 100%. No problems were observed from 100% to 20% discharge. While slow charging, the problem of sudden spike from 91% to 100% in 4 minutes was noticed.

I will try to go below 15% this time. Please find below SOC history below:
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-soc-31mar24.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-soc-5apr24.jpeg  

Old 8th April 2024, 12:10   #1197

Quote:
I could not go below 15% as I had to travel long distance and i charged it from 20% to 100%. No problems were observed from 100% to 20% discharge. While slow charging, the problem of sudden spike from 91% to 100% in 4 minutes was noticed.

I will try to go below 15% this time. Please find below SOC history below:
I drove my Nexon EV down to 1% and observed the following issues again:

1. Could obtain only 5KM range from SOC 15% to 1% without AC. Which means only approximately 2% of actual capacity is available of the last 15%. 13% is either dead or BMS is not recognising this capacity.

2. While slow charging from 1% to 100%, SOC jumps to 15% within 30 minutes and then again from 89% to 100 % within 5 minutes.

3. I noted the KWHr consumption from my submeter and observed that it has consumed around 26.7 KWHr to charge 29.9 KW (from 1% to 100%) . So it has consumed only 89.3% of the power required ( excluding the losses). So roughly 10.7 % of the battery capacity is either not charging or is considered as charged by the BMS which is not available for consumption.

Informed this to the TATA Service advisor and awaiting their next course of action.
I have attached some screen shots of the SOC and odometer reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-odoeter-15.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-odometer-1.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-soc-7apr24.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-socmonth.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-kwh-start-reading.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-kwh-end-reading.jpg  

KA20NexonEV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 13:05   #1198
BHPian

Has anyone with Tata's 7.2KW AC (Fast AC charger) faced battery/charging related issues? I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the portable charger. Pardon my ignorance on the topic - I know the EV itself handles the battery charging, so this is far fetched.
Old 13th April 2024, 23:25   #1199
BHPian

Have noticed several EV owners raise a concern over the Nexon pre-facelift’s headlight projection. Happy to share that I upgraded my car’s headlights to 110 W Blaupunkt LED’s (Low and high) from the Tata dealership itself. The difference is quite substantial

Last edited by Auto spawn : 13th April 2024 at 23:26. Reason: Adding more info
Old 15th April 2024, 13:04   #1200
BHPian

Hello fellow Bhpians!
Wanted to get your opinions on an issue my friend is facing with his 3 year old Nexon EV.

He has been all praises about the car and is known as the EVangelist in my friend circles. Sadly he's facing issues with his car few months after his warranty expired in January this year. He is having troubles with his AC (started with not cooling enough and is now not cooling at all). He took his car to the service centre who told him it was an issue with the heat exchanger, changed it for ~25k. But the issue persisted, now he's being told that his compressor also needs to be changed, which costs a whopping Rs. 1,00,000/- just for the compressor alone, with labour and all other spares required, his total estimate for repairs is coming out to be ~1.5 lakhs. He's verified this with a different service centre (who gave a total estimate which was slightly lower) and also a FNG who also verified that the compressor is most likely at fault. I also verified the cost of the compressor for Nexon EV on Boodmo (https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-512383550101-53163149/)

I have three questions about this entire situation.

1. What options does my friend have to deal with this? I've already suggested that he can try requesting discounts or repairs on good-will basis, reach out to the regional team or resort to social media.

2. Is this a common issue? I found few posts on the forum about issues with the AC and some videos on youtube of similar issues with a Tiago/Tigor EV.

3. Why is the compressor for a Nexon EV so expensive? The equivalent part for a petrol or diesel costs ~20k.

Cheers!
Karthik.guru is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks