Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2021, 13:52   #436
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandot View Post
Got delivery of my Nexon EV XZ+ last week. I was wondering if anyone else has an issue with a extreme dirty plastic/PVC stink coming from the vehicle? I removed the aftermarket rubber mats provided by them and the plastic seat covering and have left the car standing with the doors/windows open but it refuses to budge. I don't particularly want to install a car fresher in a new vehicle but not being unable to track down the smell.

Also the box provided by Tata with the vehicle for the home charging setup was removed by the Tata Power guys before I even got delivery and I have been waiting for 5 days now without it/charging solution at home. Just wondering if this is part of the vehicle and if I should fight for this as I'm currently having to pay an electrician to fit an 16a outdoor plug with mcb.
Congratulations! Wishing you many many happy miles with your new Nexon EV!

Yes, I also recently took delivery of my Nexon EV and am facing the same issue with a very dirty smell coming from the AC. As far as i can tell, it could be from the polish they have used to shine up to interiors before delivery.

As for the installation of the charger, you definitely need to contact your Tata SA assigned to you before the purchase of your car. In my case, they said a person from Tata Power would come and install the charger within 24-48 hours, which they did. You should not have to pay a single penny for installation of the charger and may only have to pay extra for wiring on a per metre basis. In my case Tata provided 15m of cable free of charge and i had to pay a nominal fee for any extra cable required. Please contact your showroom and let them know. The Tata Power officials will use the box provided with the car. Usually the SA will show you all accessories, charging cable and the charging box all packed in the boot before you take delivery.
Ankit998 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 10:47   #437
BHPian

Thanks Ankit! Unfortunately in my case while getting delivery of the vehicle both the SA and I were surprised that the wall box was missing from the vehicle even though it was there during the PDI, when he checked in the showroom it turned out the Tata Power guys had removed it for my "installation" earlier in the day even tho no such appointment was fixed with me and there was no other box available that they could replace mine with.

Finally after 6 days of fighting and hanging a long self-made box from our window to charge the vehicle, the wall box was installed. The SA has been brilliant in sorting out issues but Tata Power guys were quite useless.

I've already completed 1500 kms in the 8 days I've had the vehicle and tend to do mostly highway miles at higher speeds so the range is poor (~150km on full charge) but I'm purely looking at it from a fiscal point of view and will be taking the EV for its first service tomorrow.

Sadly still no resolution to the stink, have just had to install a car perfume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit998 View Post
Congratulations! Wishing you many many happy miles with your new Nexon EV!

Yes, I also recently took delivery of my Nexon EV and am facing the same issue with a very dirty smell coming from the AC. As far as i can tell, it could be from the polish they have used to shine up to interiors before delivery.

As for the installation of the charger, you definitely need to contact your Tata SA assigned to you before the purchase of your car. In my case, they said a person from Tata Power would come and install the charger within 24-48 hours, which they did. You should not have to pay a single penny for installation of the charger and may only have to pay extra for wiring on a per metre basis. In my case Tata provided 15m of cable free of charge and i had to pay a nominal fee for any extra cable required. Please contact your showroom and let them know. The Tata Power officials will use the box provided with the car. Usually the SA will show you all accessories, charging cable and the charging box all packed in the boot before you take delivery.
zandot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 11:42   #438
BHPian

Quote:
I've already completed 1500 kms in the 8 days I've had the vehicle and tend to do mostly highway miles at higher speeds so the range is poor (~150km on full charge) but I'm purely looking at it from a fiscal point of view and will be taking the EV for its first service tomorrow.
Congratulatuons, Zandot!
May I ask what your average cruising speed is when you're on the highway? 150km on a full charge seems quite low.
Old 12th April 2021, 13:38   #439
BHPian

Proud owner of an XZ+ for about two months (and some change), here to dispel a few misguided notions of the lurking non-owners. I got mine delivered at the end of Feb and have done 4000 Kms as of today.

1. Yes the vehicle had a very low range output for the first couple weeks. But that was because I didn't know how to drive the vehicle and the vehicle's engine itself, being fresh off the shelf, takes some time to get used to being your workhorse. Think of your EV as those domestic-able creatures from Avatar; you both spend some time getting to know each-other. And frankly, if you're too bullheaded for that, it would be in your best interests to do yourself a favor and never buy a vehicle outside of the class you're used to (price/performance-wise). Inevitably though, the tech even in your class will change at some point (such is the nature of tech) and you'll then have to adjust anyways. So you can either do it willingly at your own pace or it will be imposed upon you, whether or not you like it. How you deal with it is your headache. Because with time, technology always changes. Love em or hate em, EVs are here and they're here to stay. In short, don't be this guy: https://i.ibb.co/GpYYCth/Firefox-Scr...6-18-859-Z.png

2. With that said, I was getting a range of 175 Kms when I drove off the showroom parking lot. Within a few weeks of me getting adjusted to the car and the car having undergone a full servicing, I was up to 200 Kms of range (Highway+City). As of today, I drive my XZ+ from NCR into Delhi and get a range of 275+ Kms with the AC on 22 degrees/fan speed 3-4.

3. The trick is in how you drive the vehicle. Much like ICE vehicles, the harsher you accelerate/decelerate, the lesser range you get. BUT In ICE vehicles, no one really cares because you can stop and refuel anywhere. In EVs, this is an issue because you can't stop and refuel anywhere (yet). Wouldn't be an issue in the future when we have many refueling stations as we have for ICE vehicles.

4. I said my range is 275+ because it's actually more than 275 if you drive it at lower speeds with the AC off. Also, EVs hate linear lines on your power graphs. Give em curves. Drive like you were the chauffeur of a celebrity's Maybach S650. Gentle acceleration, minimal braking, more lifting-the-foot-off-the-pedal for decelerating. In addition, the last 10% of the EV's battery has been designed to extract the maximum range possible so those last 10 percentages gives you a lot higher mileage than the rest of the 90. The EV is smart enough to realize that at that particular stage (when you hit 10% charge), you're in a bit of a squeeze and so it starts shutting non-essential systems down one-by-one. No points for guessing how I know this. Just pray you never have to experience it. Your AC, music systems, infotainment screen brightness- all go down one by one once you're below 10%. For some people, it's a scary experience because it feels like the EV is powering down for good. But that's far from true. Like they say, it's a feature, not a bug. Quite literally, in this example.

5. As someone on here correctly said, don't trust the DTE. It's adaptive so it bounces all over the place. Not really a drawback, it's just too good to be of any use to a human. That extra layer of being adaptive is what breaks things for us. Anyways, you shouldn't be staring at it too much in any case, even if it's a Tesla, because you don't know whether the last system upgrade broke it. Always keep an eye on your ODO and your real-time battery usage and do the simple, basic, secondary-school math to figure out what your actual DTE is at any given time. Seriously, that should be common sense but it surprises me how it eludes so many people.

And finally, to the new owner here, congrats and welcome to the club! Don't fret, they removed the armrest, headrest, rear charging slot (from below the AC vent and moved it behind the rear-left seat), center brakelight, arm band and now the physical dials and switches for the infotainment system as well as jacked the prices up of different variants at different times of which XZ+ was repeatedly victim, no matter the slot, making it a poor choice for anyone considering the Nexon EV today. As on the other thread, I don't recommend anyone going for XZ+ trim as of today. If you're short on funds, get an XM. If you want the biggest bang for your buck, get the XZ+ Lux. They've essentially f-ed up the XZ+ with constant price hikes because it was getting too popular and they saw their chance to make some extra moolah on it.

Mod Note: Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and the use of abusive words / photographs in posts / avatars / signatures / topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th April 2021 at 17:31.
LEGION_FIVE is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 10:31   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGION_FIVE View Post
As of today, I drive my XZ+ from NCR into Delhi and get a range of 275+ Kms with the AC on 22 degrees/fan speed 3-4.
275+ is really amazing. With the air-conditioner on, I usually manage around 115-117 Wh / KM, which translates into a practical range of 225-235 Kms, with around 10% battery remaining.

To get better range, I have to drive at speeds less than 50 kmph, which i find a little impractical on my usual route.
umang dutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 11:41   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
275+ is really amazing. With the air-conditioner on, I usually manage around 115-117 Wh / KM, which translates into a practical range of 225-235 Kms, with around 10% battery remaining.

To get better range, I have to drive at speeds less than 50 kmph, which i find a little impractical on my usual route.
Absolutely. Gotta find a balance there. We might be driving EVs but we're still drivers. Can't sacrifice speed for range all the time. Besides, if I was to drive my EV at 40 on a highway just to eke out the range, it sends out the wrong message to fellow drivers on the road as well; it confirms their incorrect assumptions about EVs being slow - a myth mostly emanating from their observance of the early electric two-wheelers that someone they knew bought and rode.

I average my speeds to 70 at highway, 30-40 within the city and manage 275+ just fine.
LEGION_FIVE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 13:44   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. Gotta find a balance there. We might be driving EVs but we're still drivers. Can't sacrifice speed for range all the time. Besides, if I was to drive my EV at 40 on a highway just to eke out the range, it sends out the wrong message to fellow drivers on the road as well; it confirms their incorrect assumptions about EVs being slow - a myth mostly emanating from their observance of the early electric two-wheelers that someone they knew bought and rode.

I average my speeds to 70 at highway, 30-40 within the city and manage 275+ just fine.
Your car seems special. The best I managed by driving at 60 is 260KM at 4% SOC and that was the worst 6 hours I spent on a highway. I usually get 200KM range if I drive carefully.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 15:29   #443
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Your car seems special. The best I managed by driving at 60 is 260KM at 4% SOC and that was the worst 6 hours I spent on a highway. I usually get 200KM range if I drive carefully.
Umm... based on the marketing, my car is doing fine. Not great, not bad. By comparison, I'm concerned about yours. It's not performing within the acceptable range at all.

Here's my usual routine everyday for the past 12 days-

I wake up in the morning, freshen up, remove the charger from the car to find it's been fully charged, I drive it a total of 110 Kms spanning highways and city streets and by the time I reach my destination, I have the battery reporting 61% charge left. In the evening, I do the same route and reach home with battery now depleted to about 19-20%. That's 220 Km a day with 80% battery. By that calculation, I can easily squeeze out 55 Kms from the remaining 20%. 220 + 55 = 275 Kms. Pretty sure I could increase the range even further if I drive at lower speeds with AC off.

My routine may have changed in the past 12 days but even before that when I was making shorter stretches, my calculation was still pretty much the same. Even back then, based on the performance, I could've predicted the same range for my vehicle i.e. 275+ Kms on a full charge.

It's noteworthy though that when I say I have the AC on, I turn it off periodically when the car is cooled and switch it back on when the interior starts to heat up again. So maybe my actual usage of the AC is actually 50% of the time only. Nevertheless, I've found it has a very negligible impact on the car's range since for the first few days of April, I was managing the entire run without AC and the range was more or less the same.

If I may ask a question, how often do you resort to coasting and gentle acceleration? I do it all the time, especially when on highways. You'll never see my energy consumption graph either having linear jerks in power usage or inching off the baseline too high, even on speeds above 60. You want to take advantage of the fact that an efficient EV like Nexon doesn't slow as much as an ICE vehicle and therefore negates the need to speed back up. The most efficient braking is that which you never do.
LEGION_FIVE is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 15:48   #444
BHPian

Quote:
That's 220 Km a day with 80% battery. By that calculation, I can easily squeeze out 55 Kms from the remaining 20%. 220 + 55 = 275 Kms. Pretty sure I could increase the range even further if I drive at lower speeds with AC off.

You want to take advantage of the fact that an efficient EV like Nexon doesn't slow as much as an ICE vehicle and therefore negates the need to speed back up. The most efficient braking is that which you never do.

That works out to around 110 wh/km, which is what i get without the AC on and careful driving (refer to the table on page 27 that i had shared earlier)

Does not slow as much as ICE ? Not sure i understand this part. The REGEN ensures that the car slows down much faster than an ICE car, unless you keep accelerating ever so slightly. But yes, one can minimize the use of brakes by lifting off the accelerator pedal and allowing the REGEN to slow the vehicle.

Would love to see your speed and battery graph over a typical day / week, if you don't mind.
Old 13th April 2021, 17:13   #445
BHPian

Quote:
That works out to around 110 wh/km, which is what i get without the AC on and careful driving (refer to the table on page 27 that i had shared earlier)
Hmm... your table indicates that you manage 110 Wh/Km when you have the AC off and your speed is around 60 Km/h. My average speed across highway and city comes out to be roughly 42 Km/h with AC on. However, I deal mostly with highways during my journey (about 80% of my journey happens on highways).

Quote:
Does not slow as much as ICE ? Not sure i understand this part. The REGEN ensures that the car slows down much faster than an ICE car, unless you keep accelerating ever so slightly. But yes, one can minimize the use of brakes by lifting off the accelerator pedal and allowing the REGEN to slow the vehicle.
Apologies, I was referring to freewheeling on highways when I said that, not regen. Of course in the case of regen, it's the exact opposite i.e. deceleration happens faster. In freewheeling, we ensure that the pedal is only pressed to the point where neither energy consumption nor regen is happening but the vehicle continues to glide along at the same speed.

Quote:
Would love to see your speed and battery graph over a typical day / week, if you don't mind.
Sure. Here you go.
LEGION_FIVE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 13:12   #446
BHPian

Hi

Is anyone else having issues with the air conditioning on the Nexon EV? I find that the air is chilled when the compressor is running but the compressor keeps cutting off after about 15-30 minutes intermittently for about 10 minutes. This is actually unbearable in delhi summers.

Showed it to tata service but they say there’s no problem with the AC.

When the AC cuts out, it is immediately perceptible because the smell coming from the ac is a stale smell, and the temperature changes from being chilled to just ‘cool’.

Naturally, have checked Econ mode, compressor on/off switch and temperature setting so that’s definitely not an issue.

Anyone else?
Old 15th April 2021, 14:42   #447
BHPian

To all the Nexon EV Owners,

I am in market for a new CSUV, interested in the Nexon EV.

I do have one question. In 1-2 years down the line, if the range increases to say 500 Kms, would TaMo replace the batteries of old customers with the latest one's at some subsidy. Any promises being made there.
Old 15th April 2021, 16:34   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun_S View Post
To all the Nexon EV Owners,

In 1-2 years down the line, if the range increases to say 500 Kms, would TaMo replace the batteries of old customers with the latest one's at some subsidy. .
No. I don't think it would be as simple as just replacing the batteries and don't think any manufacturer would make such an offer
Old 16th April 2021, 09:58   #449
BHPian

Yes, having the same issue and pointed out during service. They also said AC is fine it could possibly be the "automatic climate control" kicking in, despite me not using AUTO mode but rather manual blower controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Hi

Is anyone else having issues with the air conditioning on the Nexon EV? I find that the air is chilled when the compressor is running but the compressor keeps cutting off after about 15-30 minutes intermittently for about 10 minutes. This is actually unbearable in delhi summers.

When the AC cuts out, it is immediately perceptible because the smell coming from the ac is a stale smell, and the temperature changes from being chilled to just ‘cool’.

Naturally, have checked Econ mode, compressor on/off switch and temperature setting so that’s definitely not an issue.

Anyone else?
Old 16th April 2021, 10:14   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, having the same issue and pointed out during service. They also said AC is fine it could possibly be the "automatic climate control" kicking in, despite me not using AUTO mode but rather manual blower controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Hi

Anyone else?
Could be ice in the AC hoses. When it happens, switch the blower to hot air for a couple of minutes and switch back to cool air.

The reason why service centers can't locate the issue is that the ice melts or is not formed when they check the vehicle.

Have this problem in the Vista during my long drives and figured it out after 7 years of owning it. Now it's a turn on the knob for a couple of minutes and back again.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks