Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2021, 13:05   #346
Mik
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Bitten the EV bullet. Should be getting mine delivered next week once the loan process is completed.
Do let me know if there is a owners whatsapp/telegram group for Bangalore/pan-India. Would love to join once the car is with us.

With regards to PDI, are there any specific things I need to check?
Also, when will Tata Power guys come for installation. Will they take their own sweet time or do it before the car is delivered.

Regards
Mik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 14:50   #347
BANNED

congrats on your purchase, you are going to love it and the occasional hiccup you might get also
There is a telegram/whatsapp group for Bengaluru and another telegram for India, you can message me for more details.

Tata Power installation is just an 16A plug from the MCB. You can charge from any 16A/32A plug from your home with a 4sq mm extension cable. Don't worry too much about it.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 16:49   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Bitten the EV bullet. Should be getting mine delivered next week once the loan process is completed.

With regards to PDI, are there any specific things I need to check?
Also, when will Tata Power guys come for installation. Will they take their own sweet time or do it before the car is delivered.

Regards
Congratulations and wish you many happy miles in the EV.

The general PDI checklist here would suffice. From what i understand TATA has a tie-up with BSNL and Airtel for the connectivity and OTA updates. If possible try and get a sim of the one that has better connectivity in the general area.

The team from TATA normally come and install the box by the time the vehicle is delivered. As mentioned its a normal 16 Amp point so nothing to worry about. However it would help if you ensure that your main (home) connection has an adequate sanctioned load and also plan where you want the box to be installed and how the cable from your meter to that location will be drawn.

Last edited by umang dutt : 6th February 2021 at 16:54. Reason: added information related to charging installation
umang dutt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 17:33   #349
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
congrats on your purchase, you are going to love it and the occasional hiccup you might get also
There is a telegram/whatsapp group for Bengaluru and another telegram for India, you can message me for more details.

Tata Power installation is just an 16A plug from the MCB. You can charge from any 16A/32A plug from your home with a 4sq mm extension cable. Don't worry too much about it.
Thanks! Fingers crossed. Have read about the niggles, but just too tempted by what the vehicle offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
Congratulations and wish you many happy miles in the EV.

The general PDI checklist here would suffice.
--
The team from TATA normally come and install the box by the time the vehicle is delivered. As mentioned its a normal 16 Amp point so nothing to worry about. However it would help if you ensure that your main (home) connection has an adequate sanctioned load and also plan where you want the box to be installed and how the cable from your meter to that location will be drawn.
Thanks.
I live in a high-rise and the parking spot is 40m away. The society has given permission already. What I know is that additional wire will need to be purchased over the free limit. Also, Tata guys will come and check the average load and then do installation. Have asked the sales guy to ensure a feasibility visit is done first. Was a bit foggy about timelines and efficiency of Tata Power folks.
Old 6th February 2021, 17:46   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Thanks! Fingers crossed. Have read about the niggles, but just too tempted by what the vehicle offers

Thanks.
I live in a high-rise and the parking spot is 40m away. The society has given permission already. .
My parking slot was 3, spots away from where my electric meter was installed. Preferred that the cable be laid underground, rather than over ground / along the wall. So i got an underground pipe laid in advance, which entailed removing the pavers / tiles etc. and got the wire from the main switch above the meter till where i wanted the box installed.

Just an idea you could keep in mind when finalizing location and discussing options with the installation guys.

Note: TATA has outsourced this work to local contractors, so if you plan to do anything other than having a wire laid from the meter to the installation point, i would suggest you plan in advance and keep your society / private electrician handy.
umang dutt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 15:03   #351
BHPian

A member in EV whatsapp group is stuck at a Tata Power fast charging station near Thrissur, KL. The vehicle was charged and after disconnecting the charger, the vehicle is not switching to "Ready" state. The MID shows electrical fault icon. This is the 3rd member facing the same issue after fast charging in last one month. Has any others faced this issue? He tried removing the 12V battery and reconnecting after 10-15mins. Also tried HV disconnect fuse.
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-fastchargeerror.jpeg

The vehicle is currently being towed to the service station. For the other 2 members, their vehicles were kept at service station for 3-4 days for diagnosis and gave back stating everything is fine and the issue was due to temp Voltage Fluctuation. I am guessing the issue is same for this person too. This is kind of scary situation because we could get stuck without any warning while charging during outstation trips. This member was on his way to Bangalore and he was lucky his vehicle stalled at the first charging stop. Otherwise he would have been stuck in TN or KA. The other member who got stuck last month, was charging at KSEB FC Station, Ernakulam and happened at 1AM.

Last edited by Holyghost : 10th February 2021 at 15:08.
Holyghost is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 12:03   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
The vehicle was charged and after disconnecting the charger, the vehicle is not switching to "Ready" state. The MID shows electrical fault icon. This is the 3rd member facing the same issue after fast charging in last one month. Has any others faced this issue? He tried removing the 12V battery and reconnecting after 10-15mins. Also tried HV disconnect fuse.
Now that is really scary to hear. And it is not even a one-off issue? Hopefully, Tata Motors addresses this issue and we get more details on what caused the issue and how to avoid it..
Old 12th February 2021, 20:03   #353
BHPian

A couple of questions on the Nexon EV:
Is not having a ‘park’ option a worry? To me it sounds a bit scary to leave in in N with just the handbrake. Is it like leaving an automatic car in N or is there some kind of a locking mechanism that prevents it from moving?

How are the headlights? They are projector but only halogens, I believe. Is there a chance of installing HID or at least LEDs in the stock projectors? Has anyone upgraded the lights? Not having modern LEDs on an EV is sad. I know one would be ill advised to make modifications but I would be curious to know how existing owners feel about its headlights.

Finally, is there any built in TMPS?

Last edited by Lobogris : 12th February 2021 at 20:07.
Old 14th February 2021, 11:11   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
In the second video , DTE again increases from 180 KMs to 207 Kms after 34 minutes of drive. Holy cow! At this rate, the car seems to run free of any cost. How the hell is that happening?
In the first video it is using earlier data to predict the range, but as you were driving slowly and cautiously, consuming <100Wh/km, it is adjusting the range on the basis of that.

30.5KWh battery can go 300+ if driven by consuming only 100Wh/km. But, my driving style consumes more like 160-180Wh/km, I frequently touch the max 120kmph and also don't care about range as my drive is exclusively within 30-40km/day. Thus my range at 100% is shown to be 155-160km.

Even with carefree driving and full AC on you should easily get about 150-160km. If you get anything less you are perhaps driving it like a race car - always in sport mode.

One of these days I have to try sedate driving to see how far I can push the car.
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 12:49   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
A member in EV whatsapp group is stuck at a Tata Power fast charging station near Thrissur, KL. The vehicle was charged and after disconnecting the charger, the vehicle is not switching to "Ready" state. The MID shows electrical fault icon. This is the 3rd member facing the same issue after fast charging in last one month.
Any update on the issue ? What caused it , or resolution ?
Old 14th February 2021, 21:46   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
In the first video it is using earlier data to predict the range, but as you were driving slowly and cautiously, consuming <100Wh/km, it is adjusting the range on the basis of that.

30.5KWh battery can go 300+ if driven by consuming only 100Wh/km. But, my driving style consumes more like 160-180Wh/km, I frequently touch the max 120kmph and also don't care about range as my drive is exclusively within 30-40km/day. Thus my range at 100% is shown to be 155-160km.

Even with carefree driving and full AC on you should easily get about 150-160km. If you get anything less you are perhaps driving it like a race car - always in sport mode.

One of these days I have to try sedate driving to see how far I can push the car.
I have just recently booked the Nexon EV. Would it be possible to get a range of at least 200km if driven exclusively in city traffic conditions? I usually drive with a light foot but with the AC on ~90% of the time and do not prefer exceeding 65-70km/h even on highways (even with ICE cars, thanks to cruise control). So all-in-all, gentle acceleration and maintaining a speed between 40 and 65 for the Nexon EV should let me get at least 200, right?

Another question to all Nexon EV owners. I am aware there was an issue with the vehicle where it would keep shifting from D mode to Neutral, often leading to potentially dangerous situations on highways. If a software update has resolved this, does this particular update come pre-installed on the all cars sold now (2021)?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Ankit998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 09:29   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit998 View Post
I have just recently booked the Nexon EV. Would it be possible to get a range of at least 200km if driven exclusively in city traffic conditions? I usually drive with a light foot but with the AC on ~90% of the time and do not prefer exceeding 65-70km/h even on highways (even with ICE cars, thanks to cruise control). So all-in-all, gentle acceleration and maintaining a speed between 40 and 65 for the Nexon EV should let me get at least 200, right?

Congrats! Which color/variant?

You should be able to easily get 200-220 km in the city with AC with your driving characteristics. It all depends on practising and changing your driving habits in relation to the wh/km consumption that's displayed in the MID. If You can keep it within 130 you can easily achieve 220. More than max speed, maintaining constant speed without frequent spikes and slowdowns is critical as more power is lost there.

One thing to note here is, it is advised to charge when the SOC is between 10 to 20 and not let it below that. Assuming you charge at 15%, the effective range will be. Around 190 with an average wh/km of 130.

With regards to the D2N issue, I think recent BMS updates adresses that.
Th!ru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 15:19   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
Congrats! Which color/variant?

You should be able to easily get 200-220 km in the city with AC with your driving characteristics. It all depends on practising and changing your driving habits in relation to the wh/km consumption that's displayed in the MID. If You can keep it within 130 you can easily achieve 220. More than max speed, maintaining constant speed without frequent spikes and slowdowns is critical as more power is lost there.

One thing to note here is, it is advised to charge when the SOC is between 10 to 20 and not let it below that. Assuming you charge at 15%, the effective range will be. Around 190 with an average wh/km of 130.

With regards to the D2N issue, I think recent BMS updates adresses that.
Anything over 200km sounds fantastic. I have booked a Glacier White XZ+ version and might be taking delivery of the car within the next 2 weeks I'll make sure to charge the car at the % level you've specified and will log updates here whenever I can. Thanks again!
Old 15th February 2021, 15:25   #359
BANNED

Funny, why would anyone do that unless he's testing something.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_20210215_152318.jpg

Source: FB
Old 15th February 2021, 22:02   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit998 View Post
So all-in-all, gentle acceleration and maintaining a speed between 40 and 65 for the Nexon EV should let me get at least 200, right?

Getting 200+km is possible, but takes a lot of caution. In a city, with mixed drive you may be able to do that if you don't have frequent stops.

As someone commented to get 200km you need to consume less than 150wh/km. I have done this, but it isn't easy. In fact, you may be able to get by with even 100wh/km without AC and extreme care in driving.

Our regular habits won't permit this. Need to develop patience and skill in extrcting maximum range.
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks