Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2021, 19:42   #331
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
The high-voltage battery pack that powers an EV’s wheels stores a lot of energy, more than enough to deliver a fatal shock. So when an EV is shut down, it’s a very good idea to electrically isolate its battery pack.
But aren’t you far more vulnerable when the vehicle is in motion?

It’s making no sense to me to turn off the main battery if you are parking in front of an eatery for half an hour and having snacks in the car or waiting in the parking lot while your wife goes inside a mall to fetch something—situations where you would want to turn off the ignition in a conventional vehicle but still use some of its electrical gadgets.
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 12:47   #332
BHPian

An interesting read for people who are really wondering if a long roadtrip is possible on the Nexon EV. This actually answers my well long concern but unless you have a fast charger set-up, I'd say it's a tad inconvenient, atleast for me.

A 1500 Km Road Trip in an Electric Car, For Just Rs 700: Jaipur Engineer Shares How
Old 26th January 2021, 11:56   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

The Nexon EV makes an appearance on the Republic Day parade.

The badges are naturally masked, but I guess this is the first time a production car is showcased.

Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-screenshot_20210126112804.png  

DicKy is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 12:07   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The Nexon EV makes an appearance on the Republic Day parade.

The badges are naturally masked, but I guess this is the first time a production car is showcased.
Hi there, Happy Republic day. Even I just finished watching the parade and I took screenshots of the same, I opened the Nexon EV thread and was about to post it and there I saw your post. It was really great to see Ministry of IB featuring Nexon in Tableau "Vocal for Local". Good choice indeed. And also as an enthusiast it was so amazing to see an actual car on tableau
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 16:21   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
We have a MG ZS in the family and the other day I was talking to one of their technicians about this same concern, about the 12V battery running low, since it did happen once.
He mentioned that the main battery (HV) to be kept running at all times when the car is in idle. This way, the 12V is charged and AC and other accessories can be left running without the fear of the 12v battery dying.
I drove a Toyota Prius in the US for eight years. Now the Prius is like a mini electric car as it has an electric motor that can fully propel the car for around 20 to 30kms at reasonable speeds. So it has a large electric battery just like an EV but obviously smaller than a full fledged EV. It also has a 12V battery for accessories like all cars. Whenever we had to wait for a while like waiting for someone on the street for say an hour, we would leave the car on if we were sitting inside. The ICE engine would be off but the electric motor could be heard humming gently. This way we weren’t worried about the 12V battery going low if we were listening to music or running the AC. Prius has a special AC that works on the electric battery. If the battery was fully charged, we could run the car for over 20 to 30 minutes in the electric mode. When the battery level went down, the ICE turned on for a few minutes to recharge it. All this time, the car was fully on using electric power and could be moved at any time. So, a fully electric vehicle with a larger battery would lose very little charge if left in standby for a few minutes as it has a much larger battery pack.
Old 28th January 2021, 15:56   #336
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nexon EV turns a year old today; races towards 3,000 unit sales. With its compelling value proposition, the Nexon EV has emerged as the best-selling electric car in India.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-smartselect_20210128155414_chrome.jpg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20210128_155448.jpg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20210128_155454.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 28th January 2021 at 16:00.
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 19:02   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha View Post
My friend wants to buy a TATA Nexon EV and export it to GCC country ( Oman) . Is this possible ? Please detail the steps if possible .
No way is this possible.

That's a LHD region. Im sure he could visit uae and get many more ev options, transfer to Oman is easy too.
Old 28th January 2021, 20:09   #338
BHPian

Hi all,

Would love to consider the Nexon EV as a beater car.

My driving is monday - friday in the city ( 20 - 25 kms avg) and every friday evenings I need to drive to Pune( approx 160 kms) and return on mondays.

We have enclosed parking at both places so charging the car is not an issue.

Would the trip to Pune be ok or will I skip a heartbeat in a traffic Jam midway or while entering pune ??

Also since the tech is relatively new for Tata, do you guys think it is safe for intercity travel especially with a wife and a small child ?
Old 28th January 2021, 21:06   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
Hi all,

Would love to consider the Nexon EV as a beater car.

My driving is monday - friday in the city ( 20 - 25 kms avg) and every friday evenings I need to drive to Pune( approx 160 kms) and return on mondays.

We have enclosed parking at both places so charging the car is not an issue.

Would the trip to Pune be ok or will I skip a heartbeat in a traffic Jam midway or while entering pune ??

Also since the tech is relatively new for Tata, do you guys think it is safe for intercity travel especially with a wife and a small child ?
Recently did the Pune Mumbai expressway drive. The Pump before Lonavala (the one that used to have a CCD on the first floor) has a Fast charging point. Also the new food mall while returning ( mumbai to Pune) has a fast charging point. You can take a break and enjoy a cup of tea while the car takes on about 30-40 kms worth charge (or maybe more). Should take care of the range anxiety.
torquecurve is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 16:56   #340
BHPian

I came back yesterday after a 1600KM Trivandrum-Bangalore-Trivandrum round trip on my Nexon EV. The Tvm-Blr journey was eventful and took 26 Hrs. The return journey was smooth and reached home in 18 Hrs. My usual travel in my Cruze takes anywhere between 12Hrs to 15Hrs on this route depending on the start time and Bangalore traffic (Would have taken 14+Hrs this time).
I will try to write a travelogue this weekend.

Last edited by Holyghost : 1st February 2021 at 17:01.
Holyghost is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 01:11   #341
BHPian

If driven at approx 80-90 kmph on highways with or without ac, how much range can we expect?
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:39   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
If driven at approx 80-90 kmph on highways with or without ac, how much range can we expect?
Given the fact that sudden acceleration and deacceleration reduces efficiency, I would think if its a relatively empty road one would get a range of 200-220 kms on a full charge without AC and around 180-200 with the AC.

Have been getting around 230 - 260 on a full charge with speeds between 50 and 80
umang dutt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 15:40   #343
Senior - BHPian

Just saw these 2 shocking videos of Nexon EV on youtube by same poster 8 days apart. They seem to defy laws of physics (principles of conservation of energy).

In the first video a Nexon EV starts with 150 KMs Distance to Empty (DTE indication at top left corner) and after 36 minutes of driving, instead DTE decreasing, it increased to 177 kms.

In the second video , DTE again increases from 180 KMs to 207 Kms after 34 minutes of drive. Holy cow! At this rate, the car seems to run free of any cost. How the hell is that happening?

I'm mighty inclined towards EVs, seeing this, especially with petrol prices seeming to race towards 150 or, God knows, if even beyond that. Hope they get Altroz EV here fast.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 23:12   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Just saw these 2 shocking videos of Nexon EV on Youtube by same poster 8 days apart. They seem to defy laws of physics (principles of conservation of energy).

In the first video a Nexon EV starts with 150 KMs Distance to Empty (DTE indication at top left corner) and after 36 minutes of driving, instead DTE decreasing, it increased to 177 kms.

In the second video , DTE again increases from 180 KMs to 207 Kms after 34 minutes of drive. Holy cow! At this rate, the car seems to run free of any cost. How the hell is that happening?
There is nothing shocking in these videos. The Nexon EV will give 300KM+ range if driven below 50kmph and <150KM range if driven above 90kmph. The range shown on the MID is based on your current driving style.
After a full charge, if you drive 20KMs at 100kmph, the battery will get discharged by ~15% and MID will show <130KM as remaining range with 85% SOC. After this, if you drive your next 20KMs at 40kmph, you battery will drain only 6-7% and your remaining range will be updated to 200KM+ with 78% battery.

Last edited by Holyghost : 2nd February 2021 at 23:13.
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:55   #345
BHPian

In this interview, it sounds like Altroz EV is not viable at the targeted price point: http://bit.ly/TataEVs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks