Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:43   #376
BANNED

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
Hi,

Car will be used in Bangalore for intra-city commute. Avg 35 km/day. We might make occasional trips to Mysore/Ooty/Coorg, but they will be infrequent.
In City, driving between 20 to 60kph, will easily yield 200+ on a single charge, if you are easy on throttle during acceleration it will be much more than that. I can vouch for this with my results along with many folks in our group.

Quote:
Predictably, I am unsure about the range. It will primarily be driven by my brother and parents, who will not pay too much attention to extracting the best range. They'll just drive the car, and expect decent range as is. Would it be reasonable to expect ~170kms/charge, assuming overnight charging to full capacity? Also, would subtle changes to driving habits help reach around 200 kms/charge?
As soon as you hit less 25% SOC, the car does not go to sports mode, and when you hit 10% it goes to reduced power mode (LIMP mode). On this mode you can travel 20 to 30km. This will be noticed by anyone driving doesn't matter the age or attention capacity. In Bengaluru, you have an FC within that said range, so you won't run out of battery and be stranded anywhere unless YOU WANT TO.

Quote:
Though the car is new, can anyone shed light on how the battery is expected to degrade over time? I don't want to be coping with 120 kms/charge five years down the line.
Yes, no one has hard data on this, but there is a warranty on it for 1.6L km or 8 years, and it isn't that after that period the battery dies off, the capacity would reduce gradually over a period to say 80% to 70% to 60%. Even in that period, the battery can be recycled and used for your home for storage, it would still hold 15Kwh, which is good for 5 days back of your electricity needs. Given the trends, the battery cost and the tech is going to change in few years let alone 8 years, it would be not too far to think it won't burn a huge hole in your pocket nor to assume that you can't increase your range by then.

Quote:
I see some recent posts by shashankw839 about the car shifting to N. This is a concerning safety issue, especially considering this will be the first non-manual car at home. Has the issue been sorted, or is it still something to consider?
This issue is not the issue, it is the fall back mechanism used by TML when they encounter a critical issue in battery or vehicle, think of it is as UNHANDLED EXCEPTION routine. There would be multiple reasons why it caused that. I do know that in the recent BMS patch which was applied they have said "We have fixed it" but like I said before this isn't a "Single" source problem. Disclaimer: I have never experienced it in my 6 months time with the car so I can't vouch for the authenticity of the claim of fix.

Quote:
Are there other issues that warrant considering other cars, or waiting some time before considering the NexonEV? The Kona is out of budget, but I'm open to alternatives. Thanks for taking the time.
No product is perfect, we are using a product which has its imperfections but those things I can live with, as I am getting a product which has made me not enter a fuel station in 6 months, nor do I worry to take the car out for a drive in city, or when i am stuck in traffic. Best of all, I am happy that I am not contributing the smoke and pollution in the city.
DarthVeda is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 21:44   #377
BHPian

I am on the fence about the Nexon EV. I have taken several test drives and really love this car. Something about it really attracts me. The drive and handling are just about perfect. However, I am disappointed at the features missing from the regular Nexon. ESC has been removed. Cruise control is gone! TPMS has also been removed for unknown reasons. Also worrying is the lack of a ‘P’ option. Instead we have to leave it in neutral with the parking brake on. This seems a little dangerous and I am surprised no one has discussed this. In addition, I would have liked 6 airbags at least on the top variant. HID or LED headlights won’t cost much and should have been provided in the existing projectors. Tata power has also started charging for fast chargers now at around Rs 18 per kwh which is rather steep. Since they had kept them free till now, they should have gone with a low rate like Rs 8 per kwh to promote EV adoption for the next year or two.

Anyone knows how to join the Telegram or Whatsapp group for the NexonEV?

Last edited by Lobogris : 23rd February 2021 at 21:47.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 21:47   #378
Senior - BHPian

In Nexon EV, the main battery supplies power to the 12v battery. Does this mean that the range of the vehicle will be less when the 12 v battery is being drained .. like when the headlights or wiper are on?
Or is there an additional alternator to charge the 12v battery?
Old 23rd February 2021, 23:49   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
In Nexon EV, the main battery supplies power to the 12v battery. Does this mean that the range of the vehicle will be less when the 12 v battery is being drained .. like when the headlights or wiper are on?
Nice question to know how things work in an EV.

From what I understood, the 12V battery charges directly from the charger or from the main battery using DC-DC conversion, no alternator. The 12v battery charges from your main battery when the charge level is low and you are not using the lights or wipers. If you are using the lights and wipers continuously your 12v battery drains and will not charge from the main battery.

I am sure that your main battery should be recharged before the 12v needs your attention. I am not sure though what happens if we leave the headlights switched ON even when charging the vehicle and denying a chance for the 12v battery to charge.

To your actual question, the 12v battery has less than 3% capacity than the Nexon's main battery. So, in conclusion the range may reduce by 3% if the vehicle decides to charge the 12v battery from the main battery before you reach the next charger.

Hope this makes sense, correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 23rd February 2021 at 23:51.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 14:03   #380
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Laws of physics says there are no freebies but the capacity of the aux battery is so negligible when compared to main, that I would not worry about range reduction.
It's like saying if I use horn would the range reduce, of course it will, maybe by few mm. The same is applicable to fuel vehicles as well. Using dynamo to charge the aux battery does reduce your range.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:43   #381

I booked my Nexon EV XZ+ Lux variant 3 weeks back, and am still waiting for delivery. My SA has been telling me that the delivery has been delayed by 8-12 weeks due to battery availability. This is in Mumbai. Is this what people in other cities facing too?
Old 25th February 2021, 11:05   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
A member in EV whatsapp group is stuck at a Tata Power fast charging station near Thrissur, KL. The vehicle was charged and after disconnecting the charger, the vehicle is not switching to "Ready" state. The MID shows electrical fault icon. This is the 3rd member facing the same issue after fast charging in last one month. Has any others faced this issue? He tried removing the 12V battery and reconnecting after 10-15mins. Also tried HV disconnect fuse.
The other member who got stuck last month, was charging at KSEB FC Station, Ernakulam and happened at 1AM.
Another member is stranded at Kollam KSEB Fast Charging station with the same issue. The vehicle is not shifting to ready/D and console shows a red triangle. Tata helpline was contacted and the vehicle will be towed to the nearest service center.
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexonevfcissue.jpeg.
Holyghost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 11:37   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Another member is stranded at Kollam KSEB Fast Charging station with the same issue. The vehicle is not shifting to ready/D and console shows a red triangle.
Attachment 2125535.
Really sad to see this issue crop up time and again. Any update on the previous case? Was that also attributed to temporary voltage fluctuation and did things set themselves right at the service center, or did they have to do anything specific to resolve the issue ?
Old 25th February 2021, 11:38   #384
BHPian

We are actively considering Nexon EV as the replacement for our second car.

Our regular commute is 80 - 90kms per day within Bangalore city. For long drives we have our SUV. So if we get 180 to 200km range, that should suffice.

There are a couple of questions in my mind:

1. We have a full time driver. He parks and waits near my spouse's place of work for 5 to 6 hours almost every day. About 5kms from that place, there is a fast charger installed by Tata motors. So, I was wondering, maybe he can go and do fast charging at that place whenever he is waiting.

So the question is - is there any indication that regular fast charging will affect the battery life adversely?

2. When we buy a car, we do consider the full life-cycle. Including the resale after a few years of using it. Here, we get to an unchartered territory. It is possible that in the next 5 - 7 years, the EV landscape might completely change, and Nexon EV might look like an unrefined early model that may not sell at all.

I know no one can predict how the landscape would evolve - but I just wanted to get your perspective on this. Especially those who have already bought the vehicle - what are your thoughts on the resale of the car?

3. Anyone has any visibility about more EV models coming in the same price range within 2021? (Not considering anything above Nexon EV's price range, at the moment)

Thank you!
Old 25th February 2021, 16:28   #385

Thanks for posting here! I'm the one who crossed 200 kms !!! Most of the pics and video are mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Here is a video shared by PlugInIndia which takes 3 Nexon EVs and 1 MG ZS EV for a trip of 170KM !

Last edited by Eddy : 27th February 2021 at 00:57. Reason: Quoting a long message hampers readability. Plus please ensure correct capitalisation and Grammar. Thanks
Vivek Ahuja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 17:14   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Ahuja View Post
Thanks for posting here! im the one who crossed 200 kms !!! most of the pics and video is mine!
Happy to see you here , expecting more long term reviews and travelogues on your NexonEV , meanwhile what's your current odo ?
TorqueIndia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 17:45   #387
BHPian

Booked mine in Goa last week and was assured a 4 week delivery and now that’s been extended to 12 weeks minimum/“at the earliest” with no reason being given.

Sadly looks like I’ll be cancelling if I don’t get a clear picture soon and going for the MG instead.

Did you book from the Prabhadevi dealership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalic View Post
I booked my Nexon EV XZ+ Lux variant 3 weeks back, and am still waiting for delivery. My SA has been telling me that the delivery has been delayed by 8-12 weeks due to battery availability. This is in Mumbai. Is this what people in other cities facing too?
zandot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 21:56   #388
BHPian

For a comprehensive range test of the Nexon EV watch this video. A very long one as it's a raw footage with camera always focused at the speedometer for the entire trip.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 22:56   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandot View Post
====
No. Booked it from Chembur.
Old 26th February 2021, 23:32   #390
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandot View Post
Booked mine in Goa last week and was assured a 4 week delivery and now that’s been extended to 12 weeks minimum/“at the earliest” with no reason being given.

Sadly looks like I’ll be cancelling if I don’t get a clear picture soon and going for the MG instead.

might have to do with the shortage of chips/semiconductors everyone is facing at this moment.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks