Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2021, 23:34   #466
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
A 8 year break even though for 15k miles per year. Thanks for the doc which is really clear and helpful.

Been toying with this idea for months and let me throw this out there. Can the nexon replace a jeep in activities like getting around the farm and bear a little bit of beating? Activities mostly are driving to and from the farm, getting to the market, or nearest town 20kms away? Any opinions here?

Maddy
By 15k miles do you mean 24k kilometres? Depends on what kind of beating you would do, if it's just non existent roads then it would be fine as there's plenty of ground clearance and enough torque in the motor. But if it involves too much water then there's a need to be cautious. But for your usage it would be really value for money.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 20:55   #467

how can we compare petrol to EV? its not even a comparison!!!

1. you are not polluting with the EV
2. do you need any other reason?
3. calculate the pollution created by transporting oil from gulf over ships to India, import costs, transportation to refineries, refineries burning more petroleum to produce petrol and dizel; then transportation to petrol pumps...all that pollution?
4. battery costs? today its 35-40% of the cost of the car! 8 year warranty, degradation expected 10% over 8-10 years...still usable for more than 150 kms per day...anyway, battery costs are FALLING ... manufacturing in India will even lower the costs
5. most are assumptions by people who drive petrol or dizel vehicles and not by EV owners, ask EV owners and then compare, people who are driving Nexon ev s have done 30-40K kms. they will give you real world usage of electricity cost, maintenance costs and of course driving pleasure !
Vivek Ahuja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 20:59   #468
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors has increased the pricing of the Nexon EV by Rs 16,000.

XM trim retails at the same price tag as before, the higher XZ+ and XZ+ Lux trims have both become costlier by Rs 16,000. The XZ+ now retails at Rs 15.56 lakh and the top-spec XZ+ Lux trim is available at Rs 16.56 lakh (both prices ex-showroom).

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 10:06   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadigar View Post
I did a cost-benefit analysis of Nexon EV by comparing the Low-end model of Nexon EV Vs Nexon(P) XZ (which is currently booked by me). Attached is my detailed calculation excel sheet.

Surprisingly, apart from the Environmental benefits and better-refined car than the Petrol version, it is way off from break-even with low-moderate running km per year. I have gone through a few calculations in this forum as a reference. One thing which people ignored is the high cost of insurance for EV vehicles.

Hope such a calculation helps future users as a good reference.
I came to a similar conclusion myself. I easily hit 10,000KM per year when I combine both city and highway travels.

But then when I think about buying one I face few problems which I hope everyone will agree with.

1. I live in a society where there are 20 story building and the parking lot is either underground or at ground level. As of now, there is no parking slot where EVs can be charged but society is thinking of parking lots for EVs where the owner will be charged for slot time and current consumption. So that is an additional cost on top of initial cost.

2. If I have to travel to my home town, there is a possibility to charge EVs on the way, but based on Nexon's mileage I might need to charge thrice. The travel time as of now easily hits 8 hours and adding these charging time means, even if I start at 5 am in the morning I can't reach my destination before the sun goes down and I don't prefer to drive either in the night or during dusk. So practically the drive might become stressful also currently we don't have a standard charging rate, so we can't be sure that the cost of charging will be even across cities or predictable for now.

3. I fall in a bracket where I can't afford to spend anything more than ₹20K on EMIs. I remember buying the current Ritz for a cost of around ₹5.2L 12 years back. Now no decent car with the same engine capability is available at the same cost. My salary has improved year on year based on industry standards, but then the cost of living is growing way too high that forget EVs even an ICE car with the same capabilities are becoming unaffordable luxury items and I don't own a home and still living off rented apartments, so for me, savings is more important because we don't have a practical social security measure which can help live an old aged person with the pension options currently available. So when I think about the future, sometimes I feel a car is an unnecessary depreciating investment.

Thanks to the current COVID situation my friend now thinks his brand spanking new car is sitting idle while his wallet is leaking money in the range of ₹20K per month (His salary falls around ₹15L per annum bracket). Further because of his back issues, he could buy only a car with a high sitting position and is automatic. Now it's value is going down month by month while it's sitting idle in the parking lot.

Hence the only way EVs might become a value is when the price comes down considerably and also the mileage is equivalent to ICE. So in my mind for a single car owner, if the total initial cost of 5 seater EV is below ₹10L including the interest on EMIs and it can travel for 450KMs in a single charge, then it's worth considering but I don't think that is imaginable at the least for foreseeable future.
Kannan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 19:38   #470
BHPian

Attempted a 0 to 60km/hr drag run in my Tata Nexon EV measured by my Vbox device called the Racebox pro. It was a casual test run of the device itself.
It accurately measures the speed timing and the distance values.
Reducing the tire pressure increases grip, thus increasing acceleration and improving traction, improves cornering speeds, making you faster on the straights too.
However decreasing tire pressure also increases rolling resistance, which decreases acceleration and top speed.
For this test, i had kept tire pressure to 32, and tire squeal was evident.
Keeping the psi down as low as 26 to 28 will improve the 0 to 100 speeds, though it will affect outright acceleration beyond 100km/hr.
G forces increase as we reduce the tire pressure, improving cornering and handling, but high psi converts the g forces into understeer for Front wheel drive cars.
Stay tuned for the soon upcoming 0 to 100 times and 60 to 0 braking times and distances.
Also I will be measuring the effects of tire pressures on the initial acceleration in details.
As and when we get to safe highway drives, it will be interesting to know the performance figures of the Nexon EV in D and S mode.

Last edited by amayjoshi : 30th May 2021 at 19:46.
amayjoshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 16:57   #471
BHPian

Autocar has tested Nexon EV's range using their 'real world fuel efficiency test'. Driven in D mode, their test measured 201 km range in highway and 216 km range in city.

Please note that this test seems to have used the same test conditions that are used for testing ICE vehicles, although the test parameters are not revealed.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...plained-420958
AntPaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 19:04   #472
BANNED

Tata Nexon EV vs MG ZS EV vs Hyundai Kona Electric:

wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 22:14   #473
BHPian

This World Environment Day, Tata Nexon EV becomes the first private vehicle and an EV to go exploring in the Satpura Tiger Reserve: Going green in an already green environment + staying silent to enjoy the safari without disturbing the animals!

LEGION_FIVE is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 21:03   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Nexon EV to soon get an all black edition similar to the Harrier’s Dark edition. Interiors will also be black in colour.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-84704338a1224a76b27f036c18800d17.jpeg

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-months-421032
CEF_Beasts is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 12:06   #475
BHPian

Its been more than a year since launch, and yet there is no long range version or a range upgrade. Instead all we get are new colours and sunroofs.

In my opinion, the Nexon EV is a golden opportunity for Tata to break into the economical EV segment worldwide. But sadly, they are not doing anything about it.
lina is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 13:36   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
This black rendetion looks awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
Its been more than a year since launch, and yet there is no long range version or a range upgrade. Instead all we get are new colours and sunroofs.
In my opinion, the Nexon EV is a golden opportunity for Tata to break into the economical EV segment worldwide. But sadly, they are not doing anything about it.
Agree, 100% with you @lina, I think with the upper position in sales of EVs they have settled to cosmetic upgrades only at the moment. Also, it's the only Compact electric SUV on sale, IMO better features will be available only when competition is present.
mr_robot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 15:43   #477
BHPian

Had a streak of bad lucks today in a row. I parked the car in our garage (which is REALLY tight; takes a lot of skill since you got maybe 1-2 mm of wiggle room all around the car before it gets scraped by the walls once inside and I have juuuuust enough room to get out of the car). Since the car is so new to me, I sometimes forget to turn it off before exiting and that's what happened today. The door was ajar on passenger side. When I got out, I locked the car through my key fob. It started an alarm. I panicked, tried unlocking the doors but the passenger door stayed locked while the others got unlocked. Problem was, no other doors were in a position to be opened. At this point, both my keyfob and mobile app refused to function at all. The car was still showing unlocked but I couldn't hop back in to troubleshoot. Finally, I went around the back, unlocked the trunk and tried squeezing into the passenger section from there. Got inside, turned everything off, got out the way I was supposed to. Locked, unlocked the mechanism to reset it and got around the back to close the trunk. Discovered a scratch on the trunk. Turns out, in the process of climbing in the trunk, the trunk door hit the stairs to the roof since there isn't enough room back there to open the trunk either (I barely managed to squeeze through). And then, I noticed that even though this time I had properly turned the car off, the infotainment screen was still on. I've never noticed this before. Why would the infotainment screen need to be turned off separately from the vehicle? The Start/Stop button should override the need for individual features to be turned on and off separately!

What grinds my gears is that when you're inside the car, there is no way to stop that god awful radio from playing either. I've tried literally everything, but it doesn't work. If I'm using Android Auto to play my songs, I DO NOT WANT THE RADIO PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND SIMULTANEOUSLY! This is outrageous. I tried everything but you can mute the music system at best, which obviously mutes the sound coming from Android Auto as well. If you try and "turn it off", every single feature is turned off and you cannot use any infotainment screen features at all. There is absolutely no way to shut that radio up. It MUST play at all times. This is extremely annoying and a huge inconvenience from a User eXperience point of view. Tata, FIX YOUR DAMN INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM!
Old 8th June 2021, 20:26   #478
BHPian

Yeah.. its time to improve the battery even if its only by 10%. I'm sure battery cost have come down enough and the energy density has gone up enough in the last couple of years to make that happen.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 16:18   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_robot View Post
IMO better features will be available only when competition is present.
Yep.. That has always been Tata's Achilles heel. They release a relatively good product at a decent price and sit on their bottoms until the competition catches up and takes over. I think they need an agile method of design and development. Why can't they make continuous changes. After all, it is an electric car and the design complexity is substantially less compared to an ICE vehicle.

They need to improve the battery pack densities and release Altroz EV too.

Petrol is at Rs. 100 per litre and we're crossing the Total Cost of ownership break-even point if ownership is estimated for about 8 years.
vamsi.vadrevu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 21:39   #480
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGION_FIVE View Post
What grinds my gears is that when you're inside the car, there is no way to stop that god awful radio from playing either. I've tried literally everything, but it doesn't work. If I'm using Android Auto to play my songs, I DO NOT WANT THE RADIO PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND SIMULTANEOUSLY! This is outrageous. I tried everything but you can mute the music system at best, which obviously mutes the sound coming from Android Auto as well.
Seriously? Is this also the case with other Tata cars (non-EV Nexon, Altroz etc)? This would be a deal-breaker! Of course, I'd thoroughly test the music system with my phone before buying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks