Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2021, 13:18   #421
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit998 View Post
I do not know why but I'm not getting a figure below 150Wh/km. Currently averaging at about 155Wh/km
What is the top and avg. speed that you are driving at?

What i have found is that is that i get the best mileage if

1. I am able to cruise in a way that the indicator neither shows power / acceleration or regen. This can be done at any speed, just needs a little practice.
2. There are no sudden accelerations (Score of 9 is anyway good, that's what my score is as well )
3. Don't have too many long stops with the AC on (i keep it at 24 and blower at 1 or 2 depending on the weather)

Hope this helps.

By the way, how many kms have you covered in total and are you the only one who drives the EV? Sharing a daily speed graph may help.
umang dutt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 15:37   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
What is the top and avg. speed that you are driving at?

What i have found is that is that i get the best mileage if

1. I am able to cruise in a way that the indicator neither shows power / acceleration or regen. This can be done at any speed, just needs a little practice.
2. There are no sudden accelerations (Score of 9 is anyway good, that's what my score is as well )
3. Don't have too many long stops with the AC on (i keep it at 24 and blower at 1 or 2 depending on the weather)

Hope this helps.

By the way, how many kms have you covered in total and are you the only one who drives the EV? Sharing a daily speed graph may help.

Thanks, your post was very helpful. I've attached a screenshot of what the Z-connect app says. I have currently covered a little under 200km according to the odo. Current top speed reached is 91.69 km/h with an average speed of 22.06 km/h.

I am also attaching a few pics of the feature deletions (no rear adjustable headrests or an armrest) and some panel gaps I found on the vehicle. The charging cap actually protudes out on the left side (opens from the right) and both the interior of A-pillars have inconsistent gaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-pillar-gap.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-charging-cap.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-screenshot_20210326151501546_com.tatamotors.evcvp.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-seats.jpg  

Ankit998 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 13:55   #423
BHPian

Tata Nexon EV has crossed the milestone of 4000 units, since its launch in January 2020. 2000 units milestone was crossed in November 2020. Sales are almost doubled in just 4 months.

Tata sold 705 EVs in March 2021 and 1,711 EVs in Q1 2021.

Source:
https://www.tatamotors.com/press/tat...-over-q4-fy20/
sri_tesla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 13:00   #424
Senior - BHPian

The DC Fast Chargers installed by Tata Power for Nexon EVs at Sagar Motors EV(S), Surajpur in Noida.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20210402_125300.jpg

At SAB Motors - Industrial Estate, Loni Road in Ghaziabad.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20210402_125316.jpg

At Heritage Vehicle Pvt. Ltd. in Thane.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20210402_125347.jpg

At Fortune Cars (S & SC), Nerul in Navi Mumbai.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20210402_125407.jpg

At RSA Motors in Chandigarh.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20210402_125422.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 2nd April 2021 at 13:01.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 13:14   #425
BHPian

With the increased sales, hopefully, Tata looks into EVs a bit more seriously. As the Nexon EV is now just over an year old, maybe few more offers or increased marketing would be a bit welcome. Also, I really hope Tata does release an second generation Nexon EV in the near future with higher driving range, and that Altroz EV, really hope it sees the light at the end of the day!

With each passing month, the craze for Nexon EV seems to be growing but knowing Tata and their release cycles, it maybe a while before we see any more activity in here.
balmeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 19:15   #426
BHPian

Just a curious question. Why can't Tata release a Nexon EV with a slightly smaller battery pack? Not everyone requires a highway vehicle, and maybe a real world range of 125-150kms will be sufficient for many. Tata can price this near the 10L mark and help achieve more share of sales in the EV segment. While Rigor has this system, but I will love to see it in a Nexon
Old 3rd April 2021, 20:51   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Just a curious question. Why can't Tata release a Nexon EV with a slightly smaller battery pack? Not everyone requires a highway vehicle, and maybe a real world range of 125-150kms will be sufficient for many. Tata can price this near the 10L mark and help achieve more share of sales in the EV segment. While Rigor has this system, but I will love to see it in a Nexon
They have a car with that kind of specs. Tigor EV.

The market has clearly rejected cars with such limited range and performance that are good enough of strictly urban use and nothing more.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 20:58   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
They have a car with that kind of specs. Tigor EV.

The market has clearly rejected cars with such limited range and performance that are good enough of strictly urban use and nothing more.
Maybe. However, for someone like the elderly who need a safe car for the city runabout or for people who will spend much of their time in city driving only, an EV CSUV near 10-11L may be a boon.

I see many Tigor EVs here in Hosur. That shape/name itself has been rejected by the masses so I never had any hopes of EV reviving it's fortunes.
Old 3rd April 2021, 21:35   #429
BHPian

Quote:
I have been pondering on the same thoughts for sometime now.

You're spot on, definitely there is a market for the spec. mentioned and we can expect the same to hit the roads very soon.

Key advantages of a 15KWH pack compared to the current spec. are:

*Pricing : Atleast 2.5 lakhs lower than current spec.
*Nearly 200KG lower weight.
*Increased performance and efficiency due to lower weight.
*If they can enhance the charging capability, it will be an additional bonus. Normal charging time will be less than 30mins on 25KW fast charger and less than 4 hrs on 16A plug.
*Due to the enhanced efficiency it will get a range of about 100-150KM.

Why Tata motors should consider this over Altroz EV :

*Product development and production without much investments.
*Can avoid product cannibilization and enhanced volume on a single brand.
*A CSUV EV at 11 lakhs will be easily acceptable than a 10 lakhs premium hatchback, else they have to introduce ALTROZ SEDAN 4m+, feasible at a much later stage.

Advantages of Altroz EV over Nexon EV:

*Lighter than Nexon by 200KG.
*ICE variants positioned at around 1.5-1.7 lakhs lower than Nexon, similar pricing can be expected in EV variants.
*Increased efficiency due to lower weight and enhanced aerodynamics.
*Advantages with advanced platform and modern architecture.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 3rd April 2021 at 22:03.
TorqueIndia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 08:43   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Current real world figures range between 190-230 kms for the Nexon EV. I think it sells for 15-17 lakhs. It would be impossible to bring the price down to 10 lakhs (only difference being battery size) for a range of 120-150 kms.

Folks are already very cautious in switching over to EVs because of range anxiety. Further bringing the range down is only going to heighten the effect.

The ideal option would be the Altroz EV with a similar real range of 200-250/300 kms priced at 12L. But again, that takes it to the premium hatch segment where buyers are far and few between.
discoverwild is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 09:52   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post

The ideal option would be the Altroz EV with a similar real range of 200-250/300 kms priced at 12L. But again, that takes it to the premium hatch segment where buyers are far and few between.
I agree with this and I will happily pay a deposit for an Altroz EV with such specs at that price.

Problem is, it is common understanding that battery tech progresses by leaps and bounds every year. Specs improve and prices drop, in a very smartphone kind of way. Specs for the Ziptron architectural were frozen years back. But there has been no reduction in prices, none passed to the customer at least. Retail prices were in fact increased.

So I think it is not unreasonable to expect the Altroz EV to be cheaper with the same specs. An order of 10000 units of that battery pack today will cost Tata a lot less than what it did two years ago.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 18:25   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
So I think it is not unreasonable to expect the Altroz EV to be cheaper with the same specs. An order of 10000 units of that battery pack today will cost Tata a lot less than what it did two years ago.
Plans for most manufacturers did take a step back due to the pandemic and also the semiconductor shortages. With Covid raising its head again, we have no clue what's in store for us.

Tata will definitely launch the Altroz EV at some point of time, maybe 2022 Jan or later during festive season. Right now, they need to be focussed on the gremlins and niggles currently faced by customers. Their first batch of customers of the Nexon EV will be the unpaid voice for them.

Let's hope the tech also improves during this year.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 21:07   #433
BHPian

I did a cost-benefit analysis of Nexon EV by comparing the Low-end model of Nexon EV Vs Nexon(P) XZ (which is currently booked by me). Attached is my detailed calculation excel sheet.

Surprisingly, apart from the Environmental benefits and better-refined car than the Petrol version, it is way off from break-even with low-moderate running km per year. I have gone through a few calculations in this forum as a reference. One thing which people ignored is the high cost of insurance for EV vehicles.

My intention is not to discourage existing owners or prospective buyers of EV. It could be the comparison of apples to oranges (i.e. not taking XZA+ (P) vs XZ+(EV)) to some people. But at the end of the day, it just does not make any economical sense for me to buy the EV right now. It only makes sense for heavy users (>10,000 km per year - which is definitely not me). Kindly help me refine if I made any key mistakes.

Hope such a calculation helps future users as a good reference.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx EV - Copy.xlsx (19.4 KB, 2209 views)
nadigar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 12:33   #434
BHPian

Got delivery of my Nexon EV XZ+ last week. I was wondering if anyone else has an issue with a extreme dirty plastic/PVC stink coming from the vehicle? I removed the aftermarket rubber mats provided by them and the plastic seat covering and have left the car standing with the doors/windows open but it refuses to budge. I don't particularly want to install a car fresher in a new vehicle but not being unable to track down the smell.

Also the box provided by Tata with the vehicle for the home charging setup was removed by the Tata Power guys before I even got delivery and I have been waiting for 5 days now without it/charging solution at home. Just wondering if this is part of the vehicle and if I should fight for this as I'm currently having to pay an electrician to fit an 16a outdoor plug with mcb.
zandot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 16:36   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadigar View Post
Surprisingly, apart from the Environmental benefits and better-refined car than the Petrol version, it is way off from break-even with low-moderate running km per year. I have gone through a few calculations in this forum as a reference. One thing which people ignored is the high cost of insurance for EV vehicles.
Thanks for the detailed calculations, This is the conclusion I reached as well, and the reason I decided against getting one. The other oft-ignored fact is that the battery performance will degrade after a few years, and a new battery may cost 5-8 lakh!

A fairer comparison may be with the petrol Automatic/AMT version, as the EV is technically an automatic. The other thing in favor of the EV is that it is the smoothest automatic out there -- torque converters or CVTs cannot come close! Finally, the lack of tailpipe emissions makes it an environment-friendly option for someone who will use it primarily in the city or as a second car.

The folks who do 10000+ km a year will most likely have a higher highway usage and require the extra range. If the true range were closer to 300-350 km, the Nexon EV would actually be a reasonably practical car for single-car garages as well. And then, the extra 1-2 lakh premium over the equivalent petrol version won't matter so much.
prasi55 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks