Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 21:10   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Tata Nexon uses LFP(Lithium iron phosphate) batteries, Tata has taken a safer route. Good for the owners the LFP batteries last very long and are very safe.

SKC-auto is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 14:51   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Drove a brand new Nexon EV last night for the first time and I'm a changed man.

Never thought I'd like it this much. I need this car in my life, can't be my primary car, but as an addition to my garage alongside my trusty German steed, I don't see anything else but the Nexon EV right now. Much has been said about it already, so won't get into details, but here's a quick list:
I was about to make a thread seeking opinions between the Creta and Nexon EV, but this post has pretty much sealed the latter for me. I cannot wait to test drive it when I am in New Delhi next week. Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th January 2021 at 01:00. Reason: Quoting a long post hampers readability.
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 22:03   #318
BHPian

Mileage update 2:

I had earlier managed 106 Wh/km by driving below 60 and without the air-conditioning on.

This time details are as below:

221.4 Kms at 110 Wh/km with speeds below 80 and air-conditioner at 25 'C and fan speed 1.
13% battery remaining and 32kms on the distance to empty indicator

Basically a range of around 254 Kms on a full charge.

I think the air-conditioning, faster accelerations and some sudden breaking (few) were the main culprits for the increased Wh/km, but not bad I guess

Note: forgot to reset the trip meter, so the distance covered in the image is continued from my previous post.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_20210112_214546.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_20210112_214000.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_20210112_214050.jpg  

Last edited by umang dutt : 12th January 2021 at 22:04.
umang dutt is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 09:04   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Question to owners

I am driving on a highway casually like I’ll do with any petrol or diesel car. Driving along at 90-110kmph. How much range can I expect with the Nexon EV like this, especially after the update?
The range will be 150km with that kind of a driving. The car has very limited range and if you want to get range, you need to drive it the e2o way. 40-50kmph only and that too mostly without AC. All the nexon owners who are able to get more than 225 odd real world range drive it without ac. Otherwise with AC it is usually around 180-200 based on how lucky you are.. because there is even a performance difference noticed from car to car.
shashankw839 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 00:16   #320
BHPian

I went to the MG and Tata showrooms today and have posted my impressions of both cars in the MG ZS EV thread (3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review).
Old 16th January 2021, 12:55   #321
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors dealer Prerana Motors crossed the milestone of selling 100 Nexon EVs. As a part of the 1st anniversary with prerana Motors they launch a Green Loyalty Program on January 17, attractive benefits for spot bookings.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20210116_125021.jpg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-smartselect_20210116125439_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 20:59   #322
BHPian

Really wonder what these "attractive benefits for spot booking" are..
balmeter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 17:24   #323
BHPian

Bangalore bhpians, Are there any CCS Fast chargers near Hosur or Electronic City?
Old 19th January 2021, 18:43   #324
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest EV owners should really start using some apps like 'plugshare' or other good app to update the chargers info. When you see a charger, you could update the details, no. of chargers, plug type, payment type etc. This should be an EV community effort.

There are many apps used in other countries which do not have location limitations, your effort will help many EV users.
SKC-auto is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 21:57   #325
BHPian

Does the Nexon EV need to be charged from a wall outlet or jump started if the 12V battery runs out while the vehicle is turned off?

I'm considering purchasing the Nexon EV. I test drove it and liked the experience, and I don't mind the range at all. If it can reliably deliver over 100 km per charge, I will be a happy camper.

Keeping that aside, does it have any other fundamental issues that I ought to be aware of?
aryayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 22:48   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Does the Nexon EV need to be charged from a wall outlet or jump started if the 12V battery runs out while the vehicle is turned off?

I'm considering purchasing the Nexon EV. I test drove it and liked the experience, and I don't mind the range at all. If it can reliably deliver over 100 km per charge, I will be a happy camper.
You need to jump 12V battery first until the onboard electronic devices are powered up. Then only you can charge the high voltage battery from the power outlet. It is always a good idea to not park your vehicle for longer periods of time with HV battery levels lower than 20%. Usually EV's main battery charges the 12V battery during normal operation, however when the HV battery is very low on charge (nearing 0%), the 12V battery might not be charged.

I own a Tesla model 3 and other EVs in the past. But, I think Tata Nexon EV is one of the best engineered EVs at a competitive price point in the whole world. May be there are some infant issues, but, I think those will be much less than buying an IC engined car. When there are 2000 parts, the chance of failure is greater, than only when there are 200 parts. That is simple math. Unless Tata has done a major / terrible mistake in their design (which obviously you will be covered under warranty), you are fine.

Enjoy electric driving!

Last edited by carthick1000 : 19th January 2021 at 22:51.
carthick1000 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 09:26   #327
BHPian

The primary reason I'm changing my current car is that its battery dies randomly and needs jump starting. I'm willing to make the range compromise to drive an electric vehicle but I don't ever want to be stuck with a dead battery in a car that needs jump starting ever again.

It's really confusing why it's needed though. When there's a giant battery on hand to power everything else, why not use it to power the 12 V battery too? Conversely, if that's not technically possible, why can't we as users keep the main battery powered on while we're in the car? Will the 12 V battery ever die if we did that?
Old 20th January 2021, 09:41   #328
BHPian

Quote:
It's really confusing why it's needed though. When there's a giant battery on hand to power everything else, why not use it to power the 12 V battery too?
Cost is one reason. Like any other kind of car, an EV has headlights, indicators, brake lights, windscreen wipers, an audio system, and other electric devices. With a 12V battery, the same inexpensive, mass produced components used in a normal car can be used in an EV.

Safety is the second reason. The high-voltage battery pack that powers an EV’s wheels stores a lot of energy, more than enough to deliver a fatal shock. So when an EV is shut down, it’s a very good idea to electrically isolate its battery pack.
DeKay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 09:45   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's really confusing why it's needed though. When there's a giant battery on hand to power everything else, why not use it to power the 12 V battery too? Conversely, if that's not technically possible, why can't we as users keep the main battery powered on while we're in the car? Will the 12 V battery ever die if we did that?
We have a MG ZS in the family and the other day I was talking to one of their technicians about this same concern, about the 12V battery running low, since it did happen once.
He mentioned that the main battery (HV) to be kept running at all times when the car is in idle. This way, the 12V is charged and AC and other accessories can be left running without the fear of the 12v battery dying.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 10:46   #330
BHPian

A friend of mine wants to test drive the Nexon ev and potentially buy one . Can any pune bhpians recommend any good TATA dealerships in pune ?
aansh singhania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks